• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you ever stopped reading/watching a series because a character you liked died?

• Yes

Votes: 156 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 124 44.3%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I will sometimes hear people say this and it always blows my mind. If I dislike a series so much that the death of a single character is enough to make me dropped it, I probably wouldn't have even made it far enough to reach that character's death. I don't think i've seen or watched anything in my life where I liked one character so much more than everyone else that they carried the work for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fullmetal Alchemist almost lost me after Hughes. I ended up sticking around, but I very much almost dropped the show.

I never made it very far in Brotherhood because they killed him again.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Yes? I guess? I definitely stopped watching Dr Who when Capaldi took over. Not that I disliked Capaldi, just priorities changed. And ever Dr after. capaldi just made it harder for me to catch back up…

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of. I fell off of Death Note pretty much right after L died. The cat and mouse wasn't as interesting after that.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped reading A Song of Ice and Fire after the Red Wedding.
Was already teetering on dropping it because it was just constant downer after downer but at that point I just couldn't bring myself to care about how it would all get wrapped up.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
Not one character but 24 trimming down its most interesting cast over seasons 1-3 made me gave up because I couldn't care less about villain-or-obvious-mole of the week drama.

Edit: actually I did come back for season 5 due to the reviews and then gave up after just one episode where they off Palmer almost instantly

JCR

Oct 27, 2017
The Walking Dead when Rick Grimes leaves, felt like a fitting place to stop watching.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I stopped reading MHA when Bakugo died but I picked it up immediately after he came back. His return was cool as fuck but I also found the whole plot to be a little contrived since it was so obvious he'd be back so I decided just to wait until then.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Kind of.

I plan to get back on Jujutsu Kaisen but knowing that
Nobara basically ceases to exist
doesn't exactly have me jumping at it lol

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
I stopped reading the Harry Hole books because of someone's death. I understand why but it made him utterly unlikeable as a protagonist.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I stopped watching The Walking Dead because the deaths and by extension characters stopped meaning anything if that counts. Not necessarily because a character I liked died, because there wasn't many likable characters, if at all.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, this happens very often. The unfortunate side effect of liking side-characters best.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No not really. I like when works kill off characters I like. It's sad but like so dark ! Love it

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The final few seasons of Vikings were piss poor in comparison.

Not sure I even watched the last one

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The Walking Dead after
Carl
died. Just stopped giving a shit about it after that

Funny enough, you can mark where I left off of Walking Dead.

I am at the early season episode where they were mounting a rescue mission to go find Beth. I heard she dies, despite finally starting to really enjoy her character and despite all the bullshit she's been through. It not only felt needlessly cruel (we've already seen how horrible humans are to each other and/or sudden and shocking deaths time and time again), but she had become a favorite character.

Just lost interest in watching the episode and always meant to come back, but never did.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Not one character but 24 trimming down its most interesting cast over seasons 1-3 made me gave up because I couldn't care less about villain-or-obvious-mole of the week drama.

Edit: actually I did come back for season 5 due to the reviews and then gave up after just one episode where they off Palmer almost instantly
I came here to say the exact same thing. 24 kept killing off interesting characters (often for little to no payoff), just to introduce less interesting replacements the following season. Then they'd kill them off, and bring on even less interesting new characters. After a few seasons, it was the Jack and Chloe show.

Similar thing with The Walking Dead. It was almost like a mandate that minor characters must die within 1-2 seasons.

Last edited:

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Well he didn't die per say but after a certain person left on the office (I'm sure we all know who), the show pretty much ended for me there.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
In the 90s I used to watch reruns of Falcon Crest and when they killed off Melissa I was done, she was the best character on the show.

I stopped watching Melrose Place after they killed off Kimberly and Sidney, it just wasn't the same anymore.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
instantly quit Vikings after Ragnar died. Like trying to do Breaking Bad without Walter White.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario

I am at the early season episode where they were mounting a rescue mission to go find Beth. I heard she dies, despite finally starting to really enjoy her character and despite all the bullshit she's been through. It not only felt needlessly cruel (we've already seen how horrible humans are to each other and/or sudden and shocking deaths time and time again), but she had become a favorite character.

Just lost interest in watching the episode and always meant to come back, but never did.
That person's death was the end of the show for me. What a waste of time that plotline was.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
You ended with S3 for me.
Trust me, you didn't miss much with the most recent season of You. It was pretty damn mid overall. The change in location didn't make things better or more interesting, the supporting cast of characters were boring and the overall story wasn't all that compelling if I'm being honest. It also didn't help Netflix forced a mid-season break for this show that was one month long. That decision killed all suspense and momentum for that season. Thankfully, the final season seems like its going to be a hopeful return to form.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Kind of. I fell off of Death Note pretty much right after L died. The cat and mouse wasn't as interesting after that.
I have never watched this show or read the manga, but I did read an entire wiki summary of the plot, and I almost stopped reading the summary when that happened lol. Now that's a character with plot presence!

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017

The funny part with that part of the story
with Beth is she basically died, more or less sacrificing herself to save a certain characater. Then this character ends up zombie food a handful of episodes later. So a major case of "well that was pointless".

Same damn thing happens with Carl too, but at least the schmuck he died to save managed to survive another season or two. But it was seriously annoying seeing OG cast members dying to save dorks, who also don't live anyways.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Grey's Anatomy for me. I almost quit when a certain doctor left in season 11 and completely quit when another doctor left in season 16 - haven't watched since.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I have never watched this show or read the manga, but I did read an entire wiki summary of the plot, and I almost stopped reading the summary when that happened lol. Now that's a character with plot presence!
I also kind of wonder if the show continued without "replacements" of the deceased character, would that have been better? It felt like with less than 10 episodes left in the series, introducing new characters was a bad idea.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I want to say I am not that petty but I did drop Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood) after that infamous death. I think the show overall wasn't holding my attention but that death stung a little.

And not death, but I also dropped HunterXHunter when Leorio disappeared from the show. He was easily my favourite.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever outright stopped. But there were deaths that really didn't sit right with me, and they negatively impacted my enjoyment.
Viking f.e. was not one of those for me, because they had successfully (for me anyways) built up his sons, and this culminated in one hell of a pathos-filled death later on. Gurren Lagann on the other hand... now that was a gut punch so hard, even characters in the show struggled to keep going lol

If they had killed Asuna in SAO during the first (?) season's finale though, I would've stopped watching that show. What's weird is, a part of me wouldn't have even been mad, because it could've been one of the most tragic deaths in anime.

Oct 25, 2017
When ——Glen—— died on Walking Dead I realized I wasn't really enjoying it anymore and figured that was a good time to hop off.

Oct 25, 2017
Walking Dead when Rick left I stopped caring and only watched now and then

Game of Thrones I was iffy after the Red Wedding but completely dropped it when
John Snow died
thankfully spoilers were out way ahead about what happened after and I came back

Grey's Anatomy lost a lot of interest after the plane crash, Derrick dying(and how stupidly it was done) I was out.
then when Alex left the show it turned into a yeah I'm never going to try bothering with this show again

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching The 100 in S3 when Lexa dies. Seeing stuff about her and Clarke is why I even started watching in the first place.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I've never fully dropped a show because of a character death, but I came close with Death Note. It's not just because of the death, it's because it wasn't clever unlike the entire show before and the replacements were bad. The Japanese live action has a much better solution.

When L finds the Death Note, he writes his own name in it, with 2 weeks before his death, then goads Light into trying to kill him in front of a bunch of cops. Since L is functionally immortal, he doesn't die but is able to explain how everything works and get Light arrested. And then L goes to live his last two weeks having won.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Gurren Laggan -
Kamina
This one pains me to hear, I totally understand that he's the heart of the series and a really fun character. But the crushing feeling from it is by design, the ripple effect from this is the entire point of the rest of the series and it wasn't just for a cheap shock factor, the show basically doesn't exist if this doesn't happen. Every single character has some sort of meaningful growth or impact from it.

Unless you hated what you watched up until this point, I'd implore you give it another try.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Yes, my favorite character was boiled alive in the first episode of this new FX show. Stopped watching the show after that.

j/k no, never. That was an inside joke that only the OGs will understand.

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of? When
Ned was executed
in the first GoT book, I threw the book down and was like "fuck this". I did go back and read the rest eventually. Just hadn't really experienced a story before where the clear best character/moral compass was so shamelessly removed so early.