• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 7, 2021
How was the process? Any caveats and words of wisdom you want to share? I'd love to hear your story if it's something you're ok sharing!

My story:

So my business didn't fare well over the past two years, things took a nosedive with the start of the pandemic. I'm about 75k in debt. Luckily I've started a new job that pays fairly well even for the high cost of living in NJ. So I took a look at my debts and spoke to my creditors, about 80% are willing to settle for 40-60% of what I owe them, however 20% refuse to settle for anything less than what I owe. I told them that if I can't make ends meet I will have to declare chapter 7 and they might get nothing... they don't care apparently and have filed for suit.

So I see things this way: I could, possibly borrow even more money from friends/parents and pay these 20% of unwilling creditors, then go on a payment plan for the rest. It would probably take me almost 2 years to get out of debt.

But during those 2 years, my credit wont be any better (high 400's currently), I won't be able to put anything away for savings, much less be able to afford anything like a vacation. Any mishap, like an issue with the car, or health, and we're back in the hole in probably a worse situation.

We don't own a home or car (still paying the car off) and have no savings now.

I think Chapter 7 makes the most sense for us, right? Start fresh, be able to put money towards savings and hopefully home in a few years vs giving it to the multi billion dollar corporation that already wrote off our debt and sold it to a collector. Or is it?

Going to talk to a lawyer this week so this isn't legal advice, just would like to hear some past experiences/opinions.

Thanks!