• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I'll take Mindhunter over any of that.

Mindhunter sucked outside of the direction really. I mean, even ignoring that, the average quality for Netflix shows is so low. I can't imagine wanting HBO to put out absolute garbage CBS fodder like the Marvel shows, House of Cards, OITNB, etc. They have issues on their own, but typically they just produce flat out better shows. Hell, The Knick is probably better than anything Netflix has ever done either.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Leftovers S2 or S3 would never have happened under this new management structure by the sounds of it and that would have been a fucking travesty.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
HBO still makes money. I hope their quality doesn't severely decline in the coming years.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
The Leftovers S2 or S3 would never have happened under this new management structure by the sounds of it and that would have been a fucking travesty.
No, I don't think your view is correct at all. AT&T would want more episodes of The Leftovers. They've complaining that HBO is lazy and isn't ordering enough shows or seasons. That's why Deadwood and The Sopranos are coming back - AT&T are like "WTF ARE YOU DOING?!?!" to HBO and forcing their hand.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
I do want to say AT&T's own series (the stuff they were producing before they bought WarnerMedia) aren't exactly shit quality. Kingdom, Ice, Mr Mercedes, You Me Her, Friday Night Lights, Damages, etc. This idea they're going to ruin HBO has no basis, because their track record is pretty solid. They're just calling out HBO for being lazy.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Warner should move to kill the CW and move the DC shows to HBO streaming, one of the reason that network survives is because Netflix pay a lot of money for the CW shows and seem more of the young people watch it on there than on broadcast tv.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
Warner should move to kill the CW and move the DC shows to HBO streaming, one of the reason that network survives is because Netflix pay a lot of money for the CW shows and seem more of the young people watch it on there than on broadcast tv.
Why on earth would they kill a profitable TV channel? If anything, they will be planning to buyout CBS's share.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It might have still happened. Just under a smaller budget.

No, I don't think your view is correct at all. AT&T would want more episodes of The Leftovers. They've complaining that HBO is lazy and isn't ordering enough shows or seasons. That's why Deadwood and The Sopranos are coming back - AT&T are like "WTF ARE YOU DOING?!?!" to HBO and forcing their hand.

I hope you're both right as I view that HBO intro the same way I used to the Nintendo seal of approval, guaranteed quality.

I fear that if a show isn't pulling in the numbers they'll just cut it, really hope I'm wrong on that one.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
He's not wrong.

This isn't 2007. HBO's content is just not there compared to Netflix, especially with GoT coming to an end. If there wasn't still millions of Americans paying for a cable bundle they don't need, HBO would be in trouble. There's a reason Netflix has like 120M subscribers and HBO Now has like 2M.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's not wrong.

This isn't 2007. HBO's content is just not there compared to Netflix, especially with GoT coming to an end. If there wasn't still millions of Americans paying for a cable bundle they don't need, HBO would be in trouble. There's a reason Netflix has like 120M subscribers and HBO Now has like 2M.
It doesn't help that they charge 15 dollars a month for that laughable lack of content (comparatively).

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
HBO has been in the shitter for years now so meh when basic tv channels like FX and USA have significantly more interesting and unique shows you know there is a problem.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong.

Westworld is still better or at least more ambitious than anything on Netflix. Silicon Valley and Veep are also quality. Although both are on their last legs.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It doesn't help that they charge 15 dollars a month for that laughable lack of content (comparatively).

Exactly my point.

Long-term, the only way to compete with Netflix is to bundle all the Turner content (TNT/TBS) and all the WB content (movies) with HBO's existing set of properties and sell it for $15/month. And even then they'll need more to stay competitive.

This is the problem with being stuck in an old business model. Doing that will upset the cable operators and kill their cash cow. But eventually, people will leave the cable bundle en mass, and when that happens HBO is in big trouble.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
HBO needs a bit more content, but not Netflix levels. If not for Veep and Game of Thrones airing at a different time then usual, they'd still have their problem of every good show being in the Spring, with almost no reason to subscribe afterwards. They need a more constant stream of content.

Oh, and they need to be not a pain in the ass to use. Making it so you can watch their content through Hulu instead of their shitty app is a great start.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
HBO needs a bit more content, but not Netflix levels. If not for Veep and Game of Thrones airing at a different time then usual, they'd still have their problem of every good show being in the Spring, with almost no reason to subscribe afterwards. They need a more constant stream of content.

Oh, and they need to be not a pain in the ass to use. Making it so you can watch their content through Hulu instead of their shitty app is a great start.

That all sounds great until Hulu becomes a primary Disney app, creating a major issue down the road. HBO need to fix their app or align with Amazon.

Oct 25, 2017

Netflix cannot survive on their current pricing. It's absolutely unreasonable to expect them to remain at their current structure for another 5, 10 years.

Pretty amazing turn of events. Netflix invested heavily to be the new HBO.

Now HBO has to invest to be more like Netflix.

It's like poetry.

HBO's only lacking investment was allowing the service to work outside of a cable subscription, and they did that.

Isn't that what this article/thread is about? Quality vs quantity.

Nah, he wants them to be making more content so have more "engagement" with the service. So quantity quantity quantity

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I already love my hbo go sub that I get from my folks. theres more movies that I care to watch on there at a given time then Netflix.

maybe just keep adding to that.

cuz ill be honest id love for there to be a Netflix for movies. they're the current closest to that.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Why on earth would they kill a profitable TV channel? If anything, they will be planning to buyout CBS's share.
Read from Alan Sepinwall article
The CW's business model these days functions less as a broadcast network and more as an incubator for Netflix-friendly shows like Riverdale.
Eventually The CW will not be sustainable is better for Warner their future is in hand of HBO instead of Netflix.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I already love my hbo go sub that I get from my folks. theres more movies that I care to watch on there at a given time then Netflix.

maybe just keep adding to that.

cuz ill be honest id love for there to be a Netflix for movies. they're the current closest to that.
Except Netflix has more movies than HBO and at least currently with the Disney contract, that have the most popular movies.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix cannot survive on their current pricing. It's absolutely unreasonable to expect them to remain at their current structure for another 5, 10 years.

HBO's only lacking investment was allowing the service to work outside of a cable subscription, and they did that.

Nah, he wants them to be making more content so have more "engagement" with the service. So quantity quantity quantity

I get that, but the folks in this thread are bemoaning the potential drop in quality which was my point.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
The "more is better" shit is the main reason I dropped Netflix. I was there for the quality of the products and then they flooded it with non-stop shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I get that, but the folks in this thread are bemoaning the potential drop in quality which was my point.

Because the guy makes subtle hints at it being like Netflix which is all about providing as possible content. This means things like The OA and Adam Sandler movies, to Stranger Things and GLOW. He wants them producing tons of content in order to have that constant draw into the service through sheer volume versus quality.

As I said in the last page, the only way I could see him not mean this is if they look to more licesening deals for foreign content which has worked out well for Amazon and Netflix

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
I hope John Oliver consistently uses AT&T money to tell them to go fuck themselves

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
Eventually The CW will not be sustainable is better for Warner their future is in hand of HBO instead of Netflix.
Perhaps. As you suggested, they'd then move them to something new. It seems like AT&T adores the Greg Berlanti series, they featured them heavily in lots of the WarnerMedia publicity and presentations over stuff like Westworld and DC movies. So if they closed down The CW, those shows would just move elsewhere. Maybe Audience, and that becomes a much bigger deal?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Because the guy makes subtle hints at it being like Netflix which is all about providing as possible content. This means things like The OA and Adam Sandler movies, to Stranger Things and GLOW. He wants them producing tons of content in order to have that constant draw into the service through sheer volume versus quality.

As I said in the last page, the only way I could see him not mean this is if they look to more licesening deals for foreign content which has worked out well for Amazon and Netflix

Again, they are trading quality for quantity. Needless to say they will have to up their current spending/investing on original content 2 or 3 fold to catch up to Netflix.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I only sub to HBO Now when new GoT episodes are running. So, they aren't seeing any of my money until.. 2019? And that's probably it. Not interested in any of the spin-offs.

They do need more variety in their shows, and not just adult-focused shows either. Sesame Street was a good idea, but they need A LOT MORE than just that Fraggle Rock reruns.