Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As expected, layoffs have hit Casey Bloys' HBO Max team.

An estimated 14 percent of Bloys' team — an estimated 70 people — have been let go as part of the workforce reduction following the merger of Warner Media with Discovery. The moves are the latest step in cost-cutting for the combined Warner Bros. Discovery under CEO David Zaslav.

Following reduction in HBO Max nonfiction and live-action family originals, both departments have been severely impacted by the layoffs. HBO Max original reality — led by Jennifer O'Connell — as well as casting, international and acquisitions are the four departments that are the most impacted along with business affairs and production. The latter two departments are being trimmed as staffing redundancies are being eliminated as part of Zaslav's plan to find $3 billion in cost savings. The rest of Bloys' programming direct reports remain unchanged.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Layoffs Hit HBO Max: Casey Bloys Reshapes Leadership Structure

An estimated 70 staffers have been let go as Sarah Aubrey adds international but loses comedy oversight.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Zaslav, meanwhile, earned $246m in 2021 (up from $37.7m in 2020). Shame there's no way he could have cut his salary and kept jobs.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That really sucks. Wasn't it originally supposed to be 70%? Or at least that was the rumor.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
That really sucks. Wasn't it originally supposed to be 70%? Or at least that was the rumor.
Additional layoffs at other WBD divisions are expected to come but this is it for Bloys' team. The cuts end a wild rumor mill that saw speculation that the bulk of HBO Max's originals would be cut. That is not the case, however, as Bloys and Aubrey continue to grow a slate that includes hits including And Just Like That, The Sex Lives of College Girls and Gossip Girl.
Seems the rumor.got 70 persons and 70 percent confused.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. Well I mean, considering everyone is trying to keep their library on their service (except for Universal because they're doing whatever), and Sony locked into Netflix/Disney for awhile, there's really not anyone left to try and get content acquisitions from. So I get it why that team is being cut down. If A24 does proceed with a partnership with HBO Max after Showtime's deal is done, that might not require everyone.

Hopefully everyone lands on their feet. I am still worried about wave 2 though.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
Good news that it's that low and centered around the Reality division which has the most overlap with Discovery. Sad for the folks let go.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Zaslav, meanwhile, earned $246m in 2021 (up from $37.7m in 2020). Shame there's no way he could have cut his salary and kept jobs.

Might be mistaken but I think his salary was "only" about $46M and the other $200M was stock valuation.

But like, still - what salaries did these folks get, maybe $50-$200k? Cut his $46M to $26M and you could float those folks on $20M for years.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Might be mistaken but I think his salary was "only" about $46M and the other $200M was stock valuation.

But like, still - what salaries did these folks get, maybe $50-$200k? Cut his $46M to $26M and you could float those folks on $20M for years.

Why do you hate job creators?

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Allison Abbate Departing As Warner Animation Group EVP

Warner Animation Group EVP Allison Abbate Exiting

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Animation Group EVP Allison Abbate, who is a 20-year-plus vet of the studio, and has worked on several marquee animation films including their original Space Jam, the billion-dollar plus Lego titles franchise and this summer's hit, DC League of Super-Pets, is exiting. Abbate will be segueing to a number of filmmaking opportunities she has in the mix.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
The weird part is that the original rumor made it sound like that was what WASN'T getting cut
All the reporting around this has been terrible. They explained their move during the investor meeting. They think Warner has the scripted expertise (which they do) while Discovery has the non-scripted expertise (again, yes). Doesn't make sense to have a B-team on the Warner side.

Even the whole male-skewing / female skewing thing was overblown. Worst part is that it was overblown by people in the media that know those slides were perfectly normal for a media network explaining who their audience is.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All the reporting around this has been terrible. They explained their move during the investor meeting. They think Warner has the scripted expertise (which they do) while Discovery has the non-scripted expertise (again, yes). Doesn't make sense to have a B-team on the Warner side.

Even the whole male-skewing / female skewing thing was overblown. Worst part is that it was overblown by people in the media that know those slides were perfectly normal for a media network explaining who their audience is.
Yup, while it was true that there were significant changes, many of which will indeed suck, the reality is very different from what those initial rumors were.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The initial rumors and how so many people ran with them is hilarious.

People really thought WBD was gonna ax HBO Max almost entirely.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Twitter ""experts"" told me it was 70%?
This is awesome, it's not as bad as reported and it can't possibly continue in the coming months. Time to celebrate.

200.gif

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Deadline has a copy of the email Casey Bloys sent out confirming the layoffs and the revised leadership team including Max scripted originals. He calls out Peacemaker, Dune the Sisterhood, The Penguin, and Green Lantern as upcoming tentpole projects and Hacks, The Sex Lives of College Girls, Rap Sh!t, and Julia as comedies. Velma, which was rumored to be cancelled, is also mentioned.

deadline.com

Casey Bloys Addresses HBO/Max Reorg, “Extremely Painful” Layoff Decisions In Memo

At the end of a day that saw about 70 (14%) staffers in his divisions getting laid off, Casey Bloys, Chief Content Officer for HBO & HBO Max, just sent an email to his team about the cuts as well as his new (old) senior HBO/Max scripted executive team of Amy Gravitt, Francesca Orsi and […]

opus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, right now there's a Discovery+ product team and an HBO Max product team, and they're going to scrap both and create a new product. I still know people at HBO, and I know they're very worried about redundancy layoffs.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder which Max reality shows are staying, I guess the Selena Gomez cooking show?