• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's not good, but really doesn't touch old Hollywood practices of not giving a shit about Orginal Camera Negatives. In the digital age it's much easier to have perfect copies somewhere (future compatibility being the main issue). Something like 90% of silent films are lost or incomplete. And film storage is not cheap.

You have to go back 80 years to find a time when preserving film negatives wasn't common. That's not an argument for streaming in any way.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
When I think I was gonna start working there right before the merger happened..Dodged a bullet right there. Phew.

Hbo max is awesome dammit. I hope they won't fuk it up.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
pretty easily, if we're being honest

you can test all this way ahead of time, run focus groups and polling to see how many people have heard of the ezra miller shit or even know who he is - my guess is they've done it and the answer is "not that many"

we live in a world where like 60% of US society picks presidential candidates because "they seem nice" or "they seem angry and I'm angry", the number of people who are following the personal life of the lead actor of an upcoming movie just isn't that high. some people will boycott, and I'm sure they've priced that in. not sure the price has changed all that much for them, or we might be hearing something different

it's all mathematics
They/them.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Genie is out of the bottle. WBD is going to clarify that they are just merging the two services and removing redundancies while still focusing on the same content both platforms are known for, but the wild takes people have made off shoddy rumors is going to trigger "I don't believe them!" posts. Should be a fun afternoon.

Nope. Too rational. Lol.

Looking at the the title update, looks like you were right regarding the rumors and both of us were right regarding the hyperbole ;P

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Both things can be true

The layoffs won't be as bad as the original rumors

The layoffs will still be bad for a lot of people

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
If you look at Zaslav's history, he apparently does layoffs in smaller groups over a longer period of time to avoid media and any employment law issues.
So instead of 70% gone today, it could be over a year or two in small groups of 20 or 30.

This is also more common for tech companies.

As others have said, they were never going to announce plans to gut the workforce on an earnings call.
So maybe they aren't cutting numbers, but if you're assuming "No cuts because they didn't say it!" I wouldn't put money on that bet.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If you want to talk about semantics, there was never any chance of any layoffs in the company, 70% or otherwise.

Just reducing redundancies, you know.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Very confusing. Especially with all the weird "I was right!" "No, I was right!" flexing going on in this thread.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
If you look at Zaslav's history, he apparently does layoffs in smaller groups over a longer period of time to avoid media and any employment law issues.
So instead of 70% gone today, it could be over a year or two in small groups of 20 or 30.

This is also more common for tech companies.

As others have said, they were never going to announce plans to gut the workforce on an earnings call.
So maybe they aren't cutting numbers, but if you're assuming "No cuts because they didn't say it!" I wouldn't put money on that bet.

Companies announce cost reductions and layoffs on earnings calls all the time because that audience doesn't consider it bad news. Investors want to hear about plans to keep costs down because that means profits go up. And there's a massive difference between a series of small targeted cuts and massive layoffs. If over the next 12 months WB cuts 1,000 people but adds 800 in other areas the actual impact to end users is going to be very small unless you're worried about specific types of programming. Yes, it sucks for the people involved but that's a massive goal post move from where this thread started.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
"We're not firing anyone"

::stocks go down::

i suppose its still true that they didn't announce the bad news at the earnings call either way lol
They never said they weren't firing anyone during the earning calls. In fact, they not saying anything about the firings was rightfully predicted by several outlets that cover mergers. The firings are definitely happening.

May 10, 2018
Layoffs and restructuring are usually good news (from a shareholder's standpoint) on an earning call, though?
I more so meant that a bunch of people won't be fired the day of the earnings call.

You will hear about layoffs ahead of the earnings call and then words like cost cutting and restructuring which just means expect to see more layoffs.

In addition to that, many thought there were just going to be mass cancellations of HBO Max shows at the same time and that wasn't going to happen either.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
The moment the CEO said something, people started marking out in here.

I wish people would stop taking CEO spin as gospel, especially when the CEO's reputation precedes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.