• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobotsAnger

Oct 29, 2017
"End-scripted content" this doesnt sound like what the quote is saying.
I'd wait for more info before overeacting.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
European here. Only service I considered next to my D+ account if it came available in my country.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
By "end scripted content for HBO MAx," this sounds worded to mean they won't launch HBO Max exclusive scripted content, but instead will rely on HBO's scripted content for HBO Max.

"Sounds like they're not doing HBO Max scripted shows anymore with HBO taking over"

For a lot of customers I don't think they even know that HBO Max has exclusive scripted content.

I think this is the list of exclusive scripted content available only on HBO Max:

Original scripted shows, movies, and specials

Love Life
Doom Patrol
Search Party
Adventure Time Distant Lands: BMO
Adventure Time Distant Lands: Obsidian
Close Enough
An American Pickle
The Fungies
Infinity Train (season 3)
Looney Toons Cartoons
Tig n' Seek
Frayed
Pure
Raised By Wolves
Unpregnant
The Murders at White House Farm
Charm City Kings
The West Wing Reunion
Roald Daul's The Witches
Gomorrah
Two Weeks to Live
Valley of Tears
I Hate Susie
The Flight Attendant
Superintelligence
Bugs Bunny 24-Carrot Holiday Special
The Trial of Christine Keeler
Let Them All Talk
4 Blocks
Love Monster
Homeschool Musical Class of 2020
Arthur's Law
Locked Down
Possessions
Perfect Life
The Head
It's A Sin
Arthur's Law
Genera+ion
Made for Love
Other Parents
That Damn Michael Che
Hacks
Starstruck
No Sudden Move
Tom and Jerry in New York
Gossip Girl
And Just Like That
The Sex Life of College Girls
Santa Inc
The Other Two
Head of the Class (2021)
Station Eleven
8-Bit Chrismas
Peacemaker
Ruxx
Theodosia
The Tourist
Our Flag Means Death
Dream Raider
The Girl Before
Adventure of the Ring
On The Job
Bunker
A Thousand Fangs
Father of the Bride
Amsterdam

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Man, fingers crossed for the staff and any non-Peacemaker/Cable TV show right now

Hell, I feel like even they may be on some borrowed time because I would not be surprised if this new CEO started taking a closer look at divisions like HBO cable or gaming and be like "we're spending *how* much??" and it all goes downhill from there

Antoo

May 1, 2019
WBD stock is up 4.5% on the news.
makes sense. hbo max never really succeeded despite being a good service. the day and date movie thing fucked them over and most of their originals outside a few like our flag means death or peacemaker were never popular. there is a reason why they reported hbo subscribers alongside hbo max subscribers in that 70 million figure. you figure if the streaming service was making strong headway in the streaming space they would flaunt their success but nope. there was always an asterisk attached.

zaslav is an algorithm man and i'm sure he ran the numbers. for wall street i'm sure he is steering the company in all the right ways.

Oct 27, 2017
As long as HBO sticks around long enough to finish Barry and Succession that's alright with me.
HBO itself will be fine- that will continue as usual, though again expect more quick cancelations if they don't like what they see early based on his past with running Discovery content. Barry wasn't a Max show, nor Succession. Those are still firmly under the banner of "prestige tv" according to how they seem to be approaching the whole thing.

Funny part is that HBO aired Arli$$ for like 7 seasons, one of the most aggressively unfunny and uninteresting shows of all time but enough of a core audience kept their subscription for it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So will I get all HBO content if I subscribe to Discovery+ even though I don't have a cable subscription?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Man, fingers crossed for the staff and any non-Peacemaker/Cable TV show right now

Hell, I feel like even they may be on some borrowed time because I would not be surprised if this new CEO started taking a closer look at divisions like HBO cable or gaming and be like "we're spending *how* much??" and it all goes downhill from there

I mean sure anything could happen but that's also just random speculation that doesn't really jive with what we've been hearing the last few days. If Zaslav had some kind of hate boner for HBO proper that would have come out. It sounds like the HBO Max division is being specifically targeted, and that's a very different thing than HBO or other divisions within Warner.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
HBO wasn't even doing that even before Max was a thing. This isn't going to go back to cable. You will be able to stream shows. Yes something like House of Dragons will "launch" new eps on Sundays but that was always going to be the case, and that's exactly what every other streaming service other than Netflix does.

I didnt explain myself well I guess. I'm not saying you won't stream shows. I'm saying HBO Max didnt have to consider tv time slots, just premiere days. All the content produced for the HBO channel still had to be scheduled to run on TV. Regardless of when it was up on the app. That limits how much content can be produced because it still has to play on a regular TV. There are only so many hours in a day, and different times of day are for different programing. That forces a limit that isn't there for streaming services.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I hope Hollywood revolts. I hope talent just flees from WB. Robert Pattinson and Matt Reeves should walk away, Cavill should, Gunn should. Refuse to work until Zaslav is gone.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
My yearly sub which I got in a deal expires in late September

Perfect timing for me to sub monthly and then split when the service goes to shit if it does

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
I'm glad I don't this, my let's me use his login.

Looks like this platform is going to die a very painful death.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, profit motivated executives are the worst thing ever to grace this market. This is entertainment sector for gods sake, you cannot "cut costs". You have to lose some to win some.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming services aren't really making money, is the thing.

Netflix is the only "big streaming" site that only deals with creative content driving subscriptions as its main source of revenue.

Apple TV, Disney+, and Amazon Prime video are all subsidized by their parent companies.

Netflix has more subscribers than the next three streaming sites combined, but have 1 shrinking quarter and it's the end of the world. The model is probably just not sustainable as is

Oct 27, 2017
The new service will have the entirety of Warner Bros. Discovery. 'WarnerMax,' or whatever name they choose, will be HBO Max + Discovery+, as Zaslav has said numerous times.

This won't just be Discovery+. Zaslav just met with a certain author, assuredly to talk about the future of one of the biggest WB IP. He wants to expand upon DC and make it a more cohesive competitor to Marvel Studios. Head of HBO Content is getting a more senior role. It will not just be unscripted TV shows.

HBO isn't dying.
I get why people are reacting to all of this the way they are, but until we get more information tomorrow, people are definitely overblowing the situation.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
first big streaming bubble pop?

Sad too because in our country we just got HBO Max… It is interesting though to see where this leads

Nov 1, 2017
I hate that folks are losing their jobs but I see why leadership is doing it. Streaming is expensive. It's not like Warner has other revenue streams (like Disney has theme parks, etc).

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to figure out if this actually affects me at all. The only content I watch on the service are HBO shows and movies. And this doesn't look like it's going to actually change any of that.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
It would be ironic if Nathan Fielder's Rehearsal is cancelled and Brian Wolfe's show is renewed.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
As a UK vpn HBO Max subscriber this sucks - it's my favourite service by far.

Would now be a good time to pay for an annual subscription in the hope they move me over to the new mediocre service for no extra cost?

Oct 27, 2017
first big streaming bubble pop?

Sad too because in our country we just got HBO Max… It is interesting though to see where this leads
No, I wouldn't say so- the confusion I think was what this meant for HBO. Seemingly nothing- Max was a separate conjoined branch of HBO content + Max content. They're cutting Max and folding whatever they choose to keep into Discovery+ while HBO will remain it's own thing.

It's a baffling and somewhat stupid move imo but not a bubble pop as long as HBO content continues, which it will.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
By "end scripted content for HBO MAx," this sounds worded to mean they won't launch HBO Max exclusive scripted content, but instead will rely on HBO's scripted content for HBO Max.

"Sounds like they're not doing HBO Max scripted shows anymore with HBO taking over"

For a lot of customers I don't think they even know that HBO Max has exclusive scripted content.

I think this is the list of exclusive scripted content available only on HBO Max:
Bottom line they are still cutting 70% of the HBO max content/development so while HBO will still create scripted content the overall content is still going to be down significantly. Also just wait until HBO starts getting the hammer. Considering what's happening HBO is going to start leaning back as well and canceling things a lot faster

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Max was Warner's attempt at expanding content to support a streaming service. They slapped the HBO label on it but it was not the same thing as HBO proper which continued to operate separately. Max is being gutted. HBO proper is not and as of now there are no indications it will be.

this makes the whole thing make more sense when you stop and think about it

hbo content exists and will continue to exist

hbo MAX content existed to provide enough content to justify an hbo MAX subscription (and had like its own duplicate teams for everything). that's it. after the merger with discovery, they now have a huge mass of discovery+ content that they can use on a streaming service that serves that purpose - the MAX stuff that's good enough to be "hbo content" will survive, the rest will die.

What you need is a diversity of content for everybody in the home, and they may come in for Euphoria [from HBO], but our research shows that people watch Euphoria, their favorite second show to watch is 90 Day Fiance [from TLC]. Having a diversity of content is a reason why people are spending hours with Discovery+…when you put all of this diversity of content together, there is content for kids, there is content for teens, it's basically everybody in the family, why would you go anywhere else. We have all the movies, we have all of the library content that you want…

If you look at HBO right now, what it really needs is precisely what we have. When they are finished with watching Winning Time, they can go and watch Friends or watch Big Bang or watch their favorite movie or go over and watch Oprah or watch some TLC shows just for fun. So, we believe and we see this in Europe where we tried to offer, we thought that the answer was just to offer niche high quality that you get high-quality shock and all content together with a lot of nutrition, in our case in Europe, together with sport and you offer something that everybody in the family uses, and the churn goes way down, it's much harder to churn out of a product when your kids use it or your significant other uses it or your mom and dad are watching, but also if you find yourself watching it more often. So, I think it's precisely why we did this deal. And I think everything tells us that it's going to make us stronger and more compelling because of the breadth of the quality menu of IP that we have.

like, it's been clear for months that this is what would happen. the post that quote is from is from may. there's nothing to suggest that they're going to make 90 Day Westeros Fiance instead of House of the Dragon, there's nothing to suggest that they'll just start axing random HBO shows because "muh money" - there's a clearly distinguishable point to what's being done here. they want high-quality HBO content, they want high-volume discovery+ content. they don't want low-quality HBO content or expensive discovery+ content. if that exists, it will not exist for long. that's the goal.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if that's true. Netflix has pivoted quite a bit to docs and reality stuff. I know this place is not the audience for it but that doesn't mean there isn't.

It doesn't seem to me that Netflix's pivot has lead to growth, or even maintenance of their base. In fact, they seem to be threatening to be overtaken by both Amazon and Disney+Hulu.

That said, Netflix seems to be expanding the non-scripted strat, so maybe the reduced cost offsets whatever revenue losses they see.

May 10, 2018
Netflix is the only "big streaming" site that only deals with creative content driving subscriptions as its main source of revenue.

Apple TV, Disney+, and Amazon Prime video are all subsidized by their parent companies.

Netflix has more subscribers than the next three streaming sites combined, but have 1 shrinking quarter and it's the end of the world. The model is probably just not sustainable as is
Yep. Every company can't support a streaming service forever and I expect in the future more companies will take the Sony approach, which I'm surprised hasn't happened sooner.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Streaming definitely isn't sustainable longterm, but people are not going back to broadcast TV either, so I don't know what that looks like in 10 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.