• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Barry is easily the most accurate show to how it feels working in Hollywood, speaking from personal experience

Accurate. The first couple episodes of season 1 reminded me so much of my early days of auditions and acting classes. I actually stopped watching it because it was getting too real.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
So much accounting fuckery going on at this company. They're cancelling finished projects and culling streaming content for tax write-offs. Hollywood money has always been funky but this seems really exceptional to me. Are they in big trouble with their debt or something?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So it's going to be HBO shows, Warner movies, and Discovery reality crap? Seems... streamlined I guess? Not really sure if this will end up how they want it to

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
So how many of the 75 million HBO Max subscribers does discovery expect to migrate over to Discovery-? I can't imagine the overlap that exists with Discovery-'s current 25 million subscribers.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Love seeing the streaming bubble burst. Hopefully quite a few more services will die soon.
Can I ask what model you want? I don't love the current situation, but people can also just consider not subbing to all services, or subbing ad hoc. It's still a major advance over what we had.

Also it's right in the OP that this means huge layoffs, not sure it's worthy of a celebratory tone.

EDIT:
How about all these people making TV shows that no one will watch instead do something productive for society.
So your position here is anti... entertainment? 🤔

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get moving everything scripted back to HBO when people are cutting cable in droves.
HBO is still gonna be streaming.
Accurate. The first couple episodes of season 1 reminded me so much of my early days of auditions and acting classes. I actually stopped watching it because it was getting too real.
There's a arc where Sally is a showrunner and her show is canceled literally hours after it premiered on a streaming service because of the algorithm.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There's a scene in season 2 I think when Sally auditions for what is basically a sexploitation action series, and I read and gave notes on a "female oriented" spy script that could have been that word for word.

How about all these people making TV shows that no one will watch instead do something productive for society.
Work grueling 12-16 hour days on a production for a week then come back here and post uninformed bullshit like this.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
So much accounting fuckery going on at this company. They're cancelling finished projects and culling streaming content for tax write-offs. Hollywood money has always been funky but this seems really exceptional to me. Are they in big trouble with their debt or something?
Discovery inherited quite a big debt when they bought WB. Their debt is around 50 billion dollars (as of June of this year).

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

This shit is infuriating. Peak end-game capitalism to just dispose of completed art in the name of a tax write-off.

Those are HBO shows made by the HBO team. The HBO Max content team is the one being impacted right now.

Basically go to HBO Max and look at the shows and movies you care about.

Do they say "MAX Original"? That's a MAX product and in big trouble.

Does it say "HBO Original"? Not being impacted as of now.

If it says neither, it's an older catalog title or WB movie, and also probably fine.

"And Just Like That" is a Max Original.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
I always thought hbo max was the best alternative to Netflix...

And I live in the UK and don't even have access to it. Crazy how it's being dropped so much.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Hacks, Station Eleven, Somebody Somewhere, etc....plenty of goof stuff I've enjoyed. I assume they'll get rid of the Ghibli/anime stuff and other things like TCM et al. I cannot for the life of me understand how they can chop so much and not see how this is going to destroy people wanting to work with them and just give Netflix/Hulu/whoever more clout.

I really liked HBO a lot but Zaslav is destroying my interest in the service.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I subscribe to HBO. I'm watching Succession now and it's fantastic. Still, there is a finite amount of content that can reasonably be consumed. We have too many people making shows for these streaming platforms that are either subsidized by the profits of Apple, Google, or shareholders in the case of WBD. If they actually had to charge a high enough price to fund the content there would be no market for most streaming platforms.

Traditional HBO at $15 to $20 a month, with a small number of excellent shows, is a much better use of capital than this streaming hellscape.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't trust these fuckers not to eventually touch HBO proper (which as much as I have loved Max originals and it's sad to see DC get killed I was always there and a sub before Max) and if they do it will be the end of a golden era. If I was Netflix or Disney I'd be putting up big money to woo people like Danny McBride and Bill Hader, not to mention Simon.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
So how many of the 75 million HBO Max subscribers does discovery expect to migrate over to Discovery-? I can't imagine the overlap that exists with Discovery-'s current 25 million subscribers.
It's almost certainly going to be discovery+ getting folded into the more popular, more expensive service. They'll call it "HBO+" with a logo incorporating the rainbow gradient from discovery+, and pitch it as an upgrade where if you have HBO Max you'll now get Discovery shows "for free." discovery+ subscribers will have to pay more, of course. The new service isn't going to be $4.99/mo.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I subscribe to HBO. I'm watching Succession now and it's fantastic. Still, there is a finite amount of content that can reasonably be consumed. We have too many people making shows for these streaming platforms that are either subsidized by the profits of Apple, Google, or shareholders in the case of WBD. If they actually had to charge a high enough price to fund the content there would be no market for most streaming platforms.

Traditional HBO at $15 to $20 a month, with a small number of excellent shows, is a much better use of capital than this streaming hellscape.

A lot of the content that's going to die as a result of this kind of cost crunch is content made by minority voices and for minority communities. Those shows won't be able to exist anymore as a result.

Compressing HBO down to a small number of prestige shows but charging $20 a month for it, won't satisfy anyone.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I can totally see Zaslav thinking a smaller service with only "prestige" shows like Game of Thrones, big WB movies after they are out of theaters, and his reality show shit is actually of more value to the consumer.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
There's a scene in season 2 I think when Sally auditions for what is basically a sexploitation action series, and I read and gave notes on a "female oriented" spy script that could have been that word for word.

Work grueling 12-16 hour days on a production for a week then come back here and post uninformed bullshit like this.
Seriously. Posting the "do something productive for society" line on a video game forum. My word...

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Hacks, Station Eleven, Somebody Somewhere, etc....plenty of goof stuff I've enjoyed. I assume they'll get rid of the Ghibli/anime stuff and other things like TCM et al. I cannot for the life of me understand how they can chop so much and not see how this is going to destroy people wanting to work with them and just give Netflix/Hulu/whoever more clout.

I really liked HBO a lot but Zaslav is destroying my interest in the service.
They will keep TCM and other catalog content, along with Ghibli until the end of its license.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
ironically HBO Portugal changed to HBO Max a few months ago, I guess now it will... change back? lol >_>

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking shitshow.
turn-my-back-on-you-sephiroth.gif

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

i like how you didn't even have the cojones to quote even one of the posts

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Best streaming service cut short so soon :(

Really hoping Warrior and Tokyo Vice survive and transition to HBO but it's not looking likely

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

I really want to write to my reps and tell them they need to be investigating this shit. It's "The Producers" level fuckery.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so HBO Max was different stuff than HBO?

I thought it was just an app for ppl who had HBO on cable to watch their shows on their tablet/phone/etc.
That's what HBO Go and HBO Now were. HBO Max is the successor to those, and on top of HBO content, it includes stuff from across Warner Bros., DC, Cartoon Network, etc.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I wonder how big a tax write-off they can get by waiting until Peacemaker season 2 is complete before shelving it.

I mean, it's more advantageous to not spend money than get a write off, you don't make things with the intention of writing it off, you're still going to be at a net loss. Besides the intention here has to do with merger accounting, they don't exactly have the same ability to do this forever. You're not turning a profit writing things off, you're minimizing losses.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
To be honest I never cared for the HBO Max originals vs HBO originals labeling. So I have no problem with them combing them into one. To be honest I couldn't tell if you shows like Winning Time , Hacks, or Peacemaker are Max or not. While we don't know the future I haven't seen anything cut so far that I cared about. My only real concern would be The Other Two, but it is my understanding season 3 is done and will air next month. So I am not knee jerking and cancelling at this time. I have subscribed to HBO since 99 due to it's original program and there is still enough good stuff that I feel like I am getting more than my money's worth. Could change of course, because I am only loyal as your current lineup.

Also please cancel Westworld if it saves other shows. It is not good.

Edit: Also what a confusing click bait headline. Awful.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost certainly going to be discovery+ getting folded into the more popular, more expensive service. They'll call it "HBO+" with a logo incorporating the rainbow gradient from discovery+, and pitch it as an upgrade where if you have HBO Max you'll now get Discovery shows "for free." discovery+ subscribers will have to pay more, of course. The new service isn't going to be $4.99/mo.
It's more certainly going to be folded into discovery (the service preferred by the ceo and the one all rumors have indicated will remain) and there is confirmation it will have neither HBO nor Discovery in the name

Status
Not open for further replies.