• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly why I stopped enjoying PC gaming.

Boot game
Change settings
Play intro to game
Change settings
Play intro to game
Change Drivers
Change settings
Play intro to game
Change settings
Tweak ini
Play intro to game
run benchmark
Change settings
Overclock
Play intro to game
Change settings
play 1st level

Stop playing.

This with the added step of spending a weekend installing mods is the Bethesda RPG experience for me. Happens every year with Oblivion.

May 30, 2018
Spain
TheReverendSlim has asked me to take a look at Far Cry 5 and I've just booted it up.

He was complaining that nothing ever seemed truly black and that some whites were getting blown out.
You see whites getting blown on on the main menu, but this is down to this being a looping video, so it likely doesn't have the same scope for adjusting exposure that the lightining engine in the main game has.

Now I've not played the game past the initital sequence and looked at the settings

Far Cry 5 has a bug with it's HDR and Brightness setup, the same as Hitman, it carries across the brightness setting from the game in SDR mode, the black point is possibly raised on the default setting. The Paper white setting from the HDR mode also has an impact on the image when you play in SDR.

When in SDR mode you get the normal 'make this logo just dissapear'
This is not present in the HDR mode, but perhaps should be.

Left to right we can see the effect of the brightness from the SDR mode (lowest setting, default setting and highest setting)
X98VZCR.jpg

Currently, I'm running with the brightness turned down a couple of d-pad clicks (4 from the left for reference) and the paper white on default

0qxV6jh.jpg

As you can see in this picture, the moon isn't quite a light as in the other images, however specular highlights are still hitting 1000nits
My initital thoughts was that I had taken the brightness down too much and was going to lose the highlights, but
In other scenes we can see the game is easily hitting 1000nits when something is intended to be very bright.

B5k6Y14.jpg

On further investigation I am expecting one of 2 situations, the game is targetting 1000nits in it's grading or I may find that when I get outside and find some sun, that the game allows for higher values.

I need to do a bit more of an investigation and find some better in game references.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance of doing FIFA vs pes analysis?
Both games have demos on both consoles and I am pretty sure that results would be interesting :).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly why I stopped enjoying PC gaming.

Boot game
Change settings
Play intro to game
Change settings
Play intro to game
Change Drivers
Change settings
Play intro to game
Change settings
Tweak ini
Play intro to game
run benchmark
Change settings
Overclock
Play intro to game
Change settings
play 1st level

Stop playing.

This is legitimately about 60% of my PC gaming. It's almost like "nesting" the way I work to get the game running as ideally as possible, then get distracted by something else and lose the impulse to play it. Some of that tinkering is part of the fun (especially with older releases), but it's pretty abstracted from actually just sitting and playing a game as intended.

germuso

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ey EvilBoris, what do you think aboug HDR8+frc? I know it isn't as good as hdr10, but is It better than SDR? any close to hdr10?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ey EvilBoris, what do you think aboug HDR8+frc? I know it isn't as good as hdr10, but is It better than SDR? any close to hdr10?

Mainly in the scheme of video games 8bitFRC won't cause any issues, the FRC is to help display a wider colour gamut and as it is now, not many (if any) games are using Wide Colour gamut anyway.
The bigger concern is if there is any additional latency created when the TV is processing a 10bit signal.

If your your panel has a some kind of local dimming that will make use of some of the brighter areas then yes, because in games that is generally the benefit we see.

xRedbeardx

Sep 3, 2018
Hopefully this is appropriate place to ask. EvilBoris what's your experience with HDR glitter/sparkling artifacts. Is this something you experience with your HDR setup? I ask as it's something I was looking into recently to figure out if it's only my display that's affected or if it's a broad issue and most people simply ignore it. I've come to the conflusion that it's not an uncommon issue, after finding other threads and YT vids.

Some good examples are in God of War, do you notice the distracting sparkle of pixels on shallow water puddles, wet surfaces, blood of Kratos armour etc. Forza Horizon 4 is another offender, in particular when driving in the rain or through puddles, the rear of the car is often covered with white pixels that look very out of place.

To be fair, it's nit picking as most of this stuff goes relatively un-noticed during actual focused gameplay, but I'm a bit of a videophile and I simply can't help but notice and wonder why, hehe (this damn hobby!).

Here's some examples from others (not captured by me).

The Witcher: https://youtu.be/vIgIs3T_9mg
Forza H3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZKnENrH2s&feature=youtu.be

Anyone else experience much of this? My panel is a Sony X900F.

brightsons

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this is appropriate place to ask. EvilBoris what's your experience with HDR glitter/sparkling artifacts. Is this something you experience with your HDR setup? I ask as it's something I was looking into recently to figure out if it's only my display that's affected or if it's a broad issue and most people simply ignore it. I've come to the conflusion that it's not an uncommon issue, after finding other threads and YT vids.

Some good examples are in God of War, do you notice the distracting sparkle of pixels on shallow water puddles, wet surfaces, blood of Kratos armour etc. Forza Horizon 4 is another offender, in particular when driving in the rain or through puddles, the rear of the car is often covered with white pixels that look very out of place.

To be fair, it's nit picking as most of this stuff goes relatively un-noticed during actual focused gameplay, but I'm a bit of a videophile and I simply can't help but notice and wonder why, hehe (this damn hobby!).

Sounds like you need a new HDMI cable, the sparkling artifacts is usually what happens if the HDMI cable doesn't have enough bandwidth.

xRedbeardx

Sep 3, 2018
Sounds like you need a new HDMI cable, the sparkling artifacts is usually what happens if the HDMI cable doesn't have enough bandwidth.
Cheers for the response and the suggestion but I'm not sure that we're talking about the same thing, I understand the pixel flicker artifact some people have experienced is a sign of a bad cable.

What I'm describing is more aligned with an in-game rendering issue that in my experience seems to be exacerbated by HDR, it can be easily reproduced simply by looking at certain in-game assets, usually a faulty cable would result in more of a randomly generated pixel flicker artifact that is unrelated to in-game rendering. I'm using the premium certified cables from both the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. None the less, maybe I will try one more cable just to be absolutely certain.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
This is legitimately about 60% of my PC gaming. It's almost like "nesting" the way I work to get the game running as ideally as possible, then get distracted by something else and lose the impulse to play it. Some of that tinkering is part of the fun (especially with older releases), but it's pretty abstracted from actually just sitting and playing a game as intended.

I started to feel this way early last year, was getting tired of tweaking games and trying to get the right combination of RTSS fps lock, vsync, etc. Getting a G-sync monitor COMPLETELY changed the way I game on PC.

Now I see how the game runs at max, and if I'm happy with the fps its set and forget. If I want more fps, just drop a few settings until fps are where I want them. G-sync takes care of the rest.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Those things you see there are down to how the game is rendering it's lighting. I would usually view those as a positive aspect of what the game is doing, but if you think they look out of places, then it may be an issue with your configuration.

If you have your contrast set too high. then the higher values that the game is outputting will be clipped and you lose colour volume, producing white pixels.

in FH4 what setting have you got the HDR whitepoint on? If you have got it higher than about 1500, then this will be exaccerbating the issue.

On your display you could try turning back your contrast, 86 appeared to be a good position on the other Sony sets I looked at. (for HDR content)

Last edited:

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
So I joined the 4K HDR bandwagon and got the Sony XBR65X900F.

First of all, I am absoltely convinced after tuning this thing that 80% of consumers aren't seeing 4K and/or HDR. Even the freakin ports matter, then you have to go into settings and enable high speed HDMI. Then some games don't turn on HDR by default, then some games you have to increase the brightness. Fun for me but I bet some people feel burned not realizing they have work to do.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
So I joined the 4K HDR bandwagon and got the Sony XBR65X900F.

First of all, I am absoltely convinced after tuning this thing that 80% of consumers aren't seeing 4K and/or HDR. Even the freakin ports matter, then you have to go into settings and enable high speed HDMI. Then some games don't turn on HDR by default, then some games you have to increase the brightness. Fun for me but I bet some people feel burned not realizing they have work to do.

Specifically with the way the Playstation handles HDR, I was surprised at needing to enable specific port versions, on top of just using the correct ports. "Automatic" not actually being informed that the device handles HDR seems like an oversight in the signal design from the console. Considering how out-of-the-way that setting can be on some TVs (I've set it up on basically the 55" version of your model and on a couple TCL 605/607), it wouldn't surprise me if people are missing it without realizing it.

xRedbeardx

Sep 3, 2018
Those things you see there are down to how the game is rendering it's lighting. I would usually view those as a positive aspect of what the game is doing, but if you think they look out of places, then it may be an issue with your configuration.

If you have your contrast set too high. then the higher values that the game is outputting will be clipped and you lose colour volume, producing white pixels.

in FH4 what setting have you got the HDR whitepoint on? If you have got it higher than about 1500, then this will be exaccerbating the issue.

On your display you could try turning back your contrast, 86 appeared to be a good position on the other Sony sets I looked at. (for HDR content)

I'm hitting about 1450/1500 on white point by the time the white boxes blend together, so I don't exceed that value.

Cheers for these tips, I'll have a play with the contrast (I'm at 90) and dialing back some of the in-game calibration sliders and see what impact it has.

To be honest, I completely forgot about white clipping; I'm well versed in black crush from the early days of PC gaming on a TV but this is new territory and it's always a learning process. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rocket League has HDR on Xbox now and it is the second game I've seen with a toggleable HDR side by side visualizer for gameplay (not sure it's that accurate though)

Confusingly though, the two options HDR paper white and HDR contrast have no image to base the calibration off of. Paper white is easy enough to adjust without one, but the contrast will be tough. I'm figuring that it is best to be left at default settings, but I can see people messing with it and possibly making the game look worse as a result.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Rocket League has HDR on Xbox now and it is the second game I've seen with a toggleable HDR side by side visualizer for gameplay (not sure it's that accurate though)

Confusingly though, the two options HDR paper white and HDR contrast have no image to base the calibration off of. Paper white is easy enough to adjust without one, but the contrast will be tough. I'm figuring that it is best to be left at default settings, but I can see people messing with it and possibly making the game look worse as a result.

So...

Rocket League.

It's another one where the image is being derived from a SDR image, being expanded up towards about 1500nits.
It's particulary evident from the VFX, which have an indentical amount of data to when the game is in SDR.
Forunately the end result isn't like RDR2 as we have 2 controls to effect both the brightness and the contrast.
To see the unadjusted image, drop paper white to 100 and contrast to 1.00, here you see a very similar result to RDR2, washed out colours due to the raised blacks.
In terms of setting this up, I don't think there is a right answer as such, because it isn't really "correct" anyway.

The default settings look appealing out of the box, however that 1.75 setting for contrast really amps up the saturation (which will look appealing to some) and made me want to puke.
I've ended up with mine with Paper white on 200 and Contrast on 1.3, which looks pleasing to me.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...

Rocket League.

It's another one where the image is being derived from a SDR image, being expanded up towards about 1500nits.
It's particulary evident from the VFX, which have an indentical amount of data to when the game is in SDR.
Forunately the end result isn't like RDR2 as we have 2 controls to effect both the brightness and the contrast.
To see the unadjusted image, drop paper white to 100 and contrast to 1.00, here you see a very similar result to RDR2, washed out colours due to the raised blacks.
In terms of setting this up, I don't think there is a right answer as such, because it isn't really "correct" anyway.

The default settings look appealing out of the box, however that 1.75 setting for contrast really amps up the saturation (which will look appealing to some) and made me want to puke.
I've ended up with mine with Paper white on 200 and Contrast on 1.3, which looks pleasing to me.

Ah, you've already looked at it! Was about to post some .jxr files :)

Stinks that it isn't a true HDR implementation, but it def doesn't look bad. I thought to myself that it looked like a brighter version of the SDR image, especially after using the side-by-side feature since there was no way the game looked like it suggests when enabled. I'll try your settings next time I play!

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil 7: Amazing HDR implementation & best HDR test pattern and settings I've seen. I used my i1 Display Pro to correctly set my contrast to 97 and you avoid any white clipping on 65" xf90 (x900F) with settings in game at 1000nits and . I adjusted advance colour temp in HDR using the profiled i1 Display Pro and peak light output was still 1000nits. Delta Errors for HDR Colour and Gamma were all pretty much under 2. In Cool colour temp with contrast maxed out along with backlight peak Brightness I measured was 1189nits in the RE7 test pattern Window however I'd recommend not to use this mode of course the delta errors for colour and gamma are so bad.

I'd highly recommend not just copying other peoples settings if anything you might end up with worse performance due to panel differences. I tested the RTings settings for X900F and they were not close to optimal on my panel.

God of War: Horrible test pattern I still don't understand the sliders yet in this game due to not having a nice test pattern like RE7 to quickly configure proper settings with an i1 Display Pro.

Any other PS4 HDR games that have great HDR test patterns?

EvilBoris: Is there any way to save HDR images on PS4?

Last edited:

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
GRID has some very impressive HDR and it appears theres also wide color gamut support. Races at night are especially impressive because of the many light sources. I've been playing on X and a C9.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Any Division 2 players. I need some Brightness and Contrast advice. C9 > HGiG setting 800nits w/150 UI. Playing with Neutral light on but things are looking a little washed out. Last update reset all my setting and I forgot what I had set.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Is COD Cold War the first game to forgo any in game HDR calibration and uses the OS HDR set up? It's the first game I've seen that states that in the display options.