• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
So I've been posting about this in the OP but since got screenshots from another pre-patch player which makes me confident that it was potentially a pretty wide-ranging issue for reviewers and players pre-launch.

Shortly after launch Darksiders 3 got patched with Version 1.03 which simply constists of this Patch Note on PS4:

"Disabling HDR while some issues are resolved with it"

Starting the game (after having already played through it) made me instanstly notice how much better it looked. It was a huge leap in graphical fidelity. The previously completely muted colors and general brown filter on everything was gone and while the game still has a ton of technical issues, especially on consoles, the presentation was instantly better, making the world seem more vibrant, less drab and more varied.

A few examples I made myself. The first picture is always HDR on, Pre-Launch. The second one is HDR off, with Patch 1.03

ZJZ4PZ7.jpg

ZDqRGGF.jpg

VjzVouB.jpg

DrrMtgb.jpg

DvkWM5n.jpg

RMIRuNi.jpg

I checked HDR in other games on PS4 (Destiny 2, Spider-Man) to make sure it wasn't because of my TV and the HDR worked perfectly fine in those games. I also asked for screenshots on Twitter by other editors who played with HDR pre-release to confirm that others had the same problem. Sourced from the review of german magazine gamepro (confirmed to've been played in HDR with editor):

lGP7JOc.jpg

hXYKpoo.jpg

It's especially obvious if you look at the health bars or icons:

773G3JD.jpg

WzUsgVt.jpg

Did anyone here also play the game with HDR on on PS4 pre-patch and have some comparison shots? Because if this was really as wide-ranged as I suspect, it certainly made quite a few people playing the game for pre-release coverage play a visually quite different game from what consumers got.

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, it's like the 3rd game in a row for me lol.
Played RDR2 on ps4 and Shadow of the tomb raider on PC and disabled HDR for both as it looked awful.

Arapho

Nov 25, 2018
It seems like HDR is not really well supported feature these days :
HDR Patch broke Witcher 3 framerate, fake HDR on RDR2, no HDR on Spyro R Trilogy and now this ?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It seems like HDR is not really well supported feature these days :
HDR Patch broke Witcher 3 framerate, fake HDR on RDR2, no HDR on Spyro R Trilogy and now this ?
Not to mention fake HDR in Witcher 3, broken HDR in Nier Automata and there's more that have slipped my mind. HDR is a bloody mess and I'm sick of it. Not to mention all the games that don't have any calibration settings for their HDR so it's extremely hit or miss how it will look on different TVs.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another example of why Hdr doesn't honestly seem worth the trouble. I still think my plasma looks better than every hdr set I've seen.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Another example of why Hdr doesn't honestly seem worth the trouble. I still think my plasma looks better than every hdr set I've seen.
No, it's very much worth it.

It just has to be implemented correctly. I'm not saying that every game has to have it, but botched attempts need to be called out.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
It looks great to me on PC. They must have patched it, or it was a console-specific bug.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is up with hdr these days?

How are devs failing so hard at it when it was already being done well last year?

And yeah the hdr in ds3 is awful even on xbox

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is up with hdr these days?

How are devs failing so hard at it when it was already being done well last year?

And yeah the hdr in ds3 is awful even on xbox
HDR is mostly well implemented in Sony's exclusives from my experience, a lot of third party developers really don't care about it for some reason.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018

Have you seen an OLED set outside of a show floor? Top of the line LCD still doesn't impress me in comparison to plasma, but OLED does.

woops, quoted the wrong person

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HDR is mostly well implemented in Sony's exclusives from my experience, a lot of third party developers really don't care about it for some reason.

Not completely true, it was quite underwhelming in spiderman and its excellent in forza horizon.

that said, homefront revolution is the best implementation of hdr ive seen to date which is bizarre as fuck.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, it's like the 3rd game in a row for me lol.
Played RDR2 on ps4 and Shadow of the tomb raider on PC and disabled HDR for both as it looked awful.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider has one of the best implementations of HDR. If it looked awful then there is an issue with your setup, I'm afraid.

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider has one of the best implementations of HDR. If it looked awful then there is an issue with your setup, I'm afraid.
Maybe, although I have the same TV / Computer settings when I play Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it looks great with HDR.
Tried fiddling with Tomb Raider HDR settings but no matter what do I do it looks washed out with less vivid colors.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, although I have the same TV / Computer settings when I play Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it looks great with HDR.
Tried fiddling with Tomb Raider HDR settings but no matter what do I do it looks washed out with less vivid colors.
I wouldn't mind checking your settings out for you. Feel free to PM me.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen an OLED set outside of a show floor? Top of the line LCD still doesn't impress me in comparison to plasma, but OLED does.

woops, quoted the wrong person

Oled is nice but the other issues plus price aren't worth the trouble for me.

I'm not saying hdr can't be good but 1/ the standard is all over the place and 2/ it seems to cause devs a lot of pain.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Nothing about this game is right. Played some of it yesterday and I wanted to burn it down but there was no disc. Hell of a disappointment, and fuck that no checkpoint system.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. The dev is like a 50-60 people team. I'd cut them a little slack.

Edit: oh this is about pre-release vs release. Well reviewers will review what they have in their hands. I don't blame them for that.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
There are AAA games already out that are still messed up in their HDR ie Red Dead 2. It's happening more often than I care for.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to give Gunfire more of a pass than Rockstar since I know the latter decided to take months to implement fucking black bars into the cutscenes and ignored HDR completely.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
1/ only children say "poo"
2/ the motion, colour and latency say otherwise.

1/ Do you want me to prove you wrong? Seems like you're not English
Plasma colour isn't fucking with HDR colour. Stop lying to yourself bud.
There's better ways to make your purchase and lack of an upgrade feel justified.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1/ Do you want me to prove you wrong? Seems like you're not English
Plasma colour isn't fucking with HDR colour. Stop lying to yourself bud.
There's better ways to make your purchase and lack of an upgrade feel justified.

The ramblings of a madman, my "purchase" is an 8 years old Panasonic 1080p plasma and it looks better than every modern 4k lcd I've seen. Plasma motion is far, far superior. Please stop replying, I won't see it.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
The ramblings of a madman, my "purchase" is an 8 years old Panasonic 1080p plasma and it looks better than every modern 4k lcd I've seen. Plasma motion is far, far superior. Please stop replying, I won't see it.

4K OLED owner and while my OLED is glorious, I also have a handful of Panasonic plasmas going strong that are fucking nice. If I didn't own an XB1X and PS4 Pro, they'd still be going strong and I wouldn't have felt compelled to upgrade.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4K OLED owner and while my OLED is glorious, I also have a handful of Panasonic plasmas going strong that are fucking nice. If I didn't own an XB1X and PS4 Pro, they'd still be going strong and I wouldn't have felt compelled to upgrade.

Once 4k oled is in my budget, that's what I'll be going for. Good to know I'm not alone.

Question for you, how's the motion on your oled in comparison?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tetris Effect might have the best HDR of 2018 so far, wouldn't that be something.

Though God of War probably tops it. But it's still up there.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

I'll reply to the group. Indeed this post right here is the ramblings of a madman or woman. Your plasma isn't messing with any decent 4K TV LED/OLED.
There are more graceful ways to take an L. This ain't it chief

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Nice try with the "don't @ me" stuff but your 1080p isn't holding a candle to any 4K set. It's cute that you think it does though, really. This is very endearing.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017

Joke post? I'm a Plasma owner and now also a 2018 OLED owner. Old Plasmas have no chance at all against any high end OLED or LCD released since 2016. Good HDR looks glorious. Don't know what sets you have seen and which games.

Judge the developers, not HDR itself. There is more than enough proof that developers should be able to implement it well in the present time. Good TVs also switch to the correct TV modes on their own. No need to tinker at all once you set up your TV the first time.

People hate on developers for low resolution and framerates, they don't hate 4k and 60hz displays just because a dev is not able to use them well. Why do people treat HDR differently?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Joke post? I'm a Plasma owner and now also a 2018 OLED owner. Old Plasmas have no chance at all against any high end OLED or LCD released since 2016. Good HDR looks glorious. Don't know what sets you have seen and which games.

Angel - Devil lol

But thank you that's what I'm saying. Just trying to find ways to justify it themselves at this point. Plasmas are good but not this good.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying good hdr is bad, it's obviously good. Just not 2 grand upgrade good.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Plasma does have better motion resolution than OLED, but for the most part the OLED is the better TV.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
One man at Naughty Dog implemented HDR into the Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us.

This just makes me more angry lol. Developers didn't bother to implement HDR in No Man's Sky, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Witcher 3 (may have dodged a bullet there though) and more.

It annoys the shit out me tbh. From my understanding adding HDR is a lot of work for most companies, but if they've put the effort into the console versions, I don't know why it wouldn't at least be easier then on PC.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
This just makes me more angry lol. Developers didn't bother to implement HDR in No Man's Sky, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Witcher 3 (may have dodged a bullet there though) and more.

It annoys the shit out me tbh. From my understanding adding HDR is a lot of work for most companies, but if they've put the effort into the console versions, I don't know why it wouldn't at least be easier then on PC.

Wait ALL of those games don't have it on PC? I feel for you on this. I'm still annoyed at Rise of the Tomb Raider missing HDR which the PC version still doesn't have.
If there was any problem for me to have with HDR, this is the side of it I hate. Systems getting left out.
I really don't get why MS' devs miss the PC with HDR too.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully with that group forming to come up with some standards for HDR this won't be an issue next-gen, but man is this just disappointing when you have a few releases close together that screw it up so badly.

Really hope Square nails it with KH3 as that could really be something special with HDR. FFXV is still one of the best HDR implementations I've seen to date.