• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a difference licensee fee for bluray DV? I don't get why MS has it for streaming but not for discs. I wonder if it's because xbox only outputs low latency dolby vision.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't mind paying a one time 20-40$ license fee. Cheaper than getting a separate UHD BR player. Just make a deluxe edition of the player software.

I wouldn't mind paying either. The lack of DV has kept me from really bothering to invest in any UHD's, because I have a Series X and PS5, and I'm not going to go out and buy a stand-alone player that's pretty expensive as well.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
What's the point of outputting in 12bit YCBCR444 when the panels on 4K TV's are all 10bit?
UHD Blu-ray spec technically allows for 12-bit content as part of the Rec.2020 color space standard so most UHD Blu-ray players always output at 12-bit regardless of if the content itself is 10 or 12-bit. It's sort of a "future proof" kind of thing in a sense. The signal is padded to 12-bit and the display processes the signal back to 10-bit. Think of it as the PS5 using a bucket labeled 12-bit but it only fills up 10 bits. :-P The same is done with the color space on most UHD Blu-ray discs as they are all "Rec.2020" but most content is still mastered in DCI-P3 color space so Rec.2020 just acts as a container. And even worse, some UHD Blu-ray discs aren't even wide color gamut at all and just have Rec.709 (standard HD) color in a Rec.2020 container.

Basically the PS5 is doing what you're supposed to do, which is to limit how much it is altering the signal before it gets to the display as every display is going to process that signal during playback anyway. Though as noted in the video, some processing is still happening on the PS5 as it's not outputting a bit perfect signal.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It's not a hardware issue. Honestly though I doubt MS would bother to put the resources into fixing such minimal problems for such a niche audience.

In the end, neither player is bit-perfect and neither player supports Dolby Vision, so neither of these are good choices for videophiles. Still, now I know I'll be using my PS5 for disc playback rather than my Series X.
They did fix the black levels issue when HDTVtest brought it up. Great work from that channel to so clearly illustrate the problems.

I'm not expecting the Xbox to improve this feature but any improvement would be appreciated since I can't find a PS5 yet.

I dont know if I can justify buying a stand alone player. I'm using my Xbox for 4k discs and ignorance is bliss. I dont think I own any true 24fps discs like the 5th Element shown in the video. I think I'd notice that frame skip, looks really bad.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Ah yes that infinite warchest that will magically change everything, worked out great last gen.
No need to be sarcastic. Sony may have nice players and tv sets but is quite behind in receivers. Theyre not gods in that department and if MS chose to do so they could have a better circuitry for that than competition.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering for anyone in the thread: how much of a difference is HDR10 and Dolby Vision anyway? I saw some videos about it but it didn't seem that much different other than maybe a bit better with colour banding issues

Thinking if I should invest more in UHDs for my XSX

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering for anyone in the thread: how much of a difference is HDR10 and Dolby Vision anyway? I saw some videos about it but it didn't seem that much different other than maybe a bit better with colour banding issues

Thinking if I should invest more in UHDs for my XSX
The improvements range from nonexistent to quite dramatic depending on the source material.

I personally think it's a big enough difference that anyone that's enough of a videophile to invest in a 4K UHD disc collection is probably enough of a videophile to appreciate the benefits of Dolby Vision playback.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the "willing to pay for Dolby Vision" party.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Dolby Vision is nice, but it isn't a game changer. Would love to see it implemented, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I just upgraded my system so I was getting back into the physical media a bit to really test it so I was wondering this. Looks like ps5 it is, just wish they would add Dolby vision.
I gotta get one of those ps5 media remotes though.
Why not just use your TV remote? It probably has the required media buttons.

Just turn hdmi control on in the ps5 settings

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would also be nice for MS to release a new official media remote

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I had a bajillion issues with the included and aftermarket HDMI 2.1 cables with my GX OLED and the Series X. All kinds of artifacting. Weird audio glitches. When using earc and an atmos track.

finally found a cable that works and has helped a bunch, but I'm surprised people aren't making a bigger stink about this. Maybe I'm alone.
What cable did you end up buying?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
This is what I've been waiting to find out since like, April 2019 after the first Wired article that detailed Sony's next gen console.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Series X mishandles pure 24fps blu-rays, resulting in a stutter/frame skip every ~42 seconds"

Oof, I'll continue watching my movies off my shield and save up for a UB820

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Still sticking with my 4k blu-ray player until Dolby Vision gets added to the PS5. :/ Maybe then I'd consider swapping for space reasons.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
"Series X mishandles pure 24fps blu-rays, resulting in a stutter/frame skip every ~42 seconds"

Oof, I'll continue watching my movies off my shield and save up for a UB820

That shouldn't be a problem for most movies. The problem stems from there's two 24fps formats that people both call 24fps. There's 23.976 which is the typical one that is used, and then in some cases there is actual pure 24. I'm assuming they only handle one and not the other. They likely handle 23.976 which is the common format. Apple had this issue for awhile too.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Series X only support DV for games? If so, that's a bummer.

It does, and for apps however it needs to be noted that this is a different version of Dolby Vision that is lightweight compared to the full version that dedicated UHD players support.

Yes, we are already at a spot where there are different types of Dolby Vision based on the playback device.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That shouldn't be a problem for most movies. The problem stems from there's two 24fps formats that people both call 24fps. There's 23.976 which is the typical one that is used, and then in some cases there is actual pure 24. I'm assuming they only handle one and not the other. They likely handle 23.976 which is the common format. Apple had this issue for awhile too.
Lots of Netflix original content on my Apple TV does this exact thing, because for some reason the content is in 24fps. It's a very widely known issue, and it's annoying as hell haha. The kind of thing that just itches at you when you know it's there

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of Netflix original content on my Apple TV does this exact thing, because for some reason the content is in 24fps. It's a very widely known issue, and it's annoying as hell haha. The kind of thing that just itches at you when you know it's there

I thought Apple resolved that issue; did they not? For disc based content, I have to imagine most of it is at 23.976. I've only seen pure 24 with some streaming content. Usually movies aren't in 24 to my knowledge, especially on disc.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have no PS5 to compare it to, but for the Series X that sounds about right. The 4K discs I've played so far have just been fine - they don't blow me away, and the drive is weirdly loud on stuff like Alita.

It's more of a bonus feature than anything, but standalone UHD players are still stupidly expensive here.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
and of course i don't have a drive on my ps5 but have one on my xbox.
whatever not fan of physical media for some time anyway

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Apple resolved that issue; did they not? For disc based content, I have to imagine most of it is at 23.976. I've only seen pure 24 with some streaming content. Usually movies aren't in 24 to my knowledge, especially on disc.
Hmm if they did would have been in the last couple months, super recent. It's possible!

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I was under the impression it was the opposite. Not sure why though. 😋

Going to have to try a blu ray on ps5 tonight.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Add me to the "willing to pay for Dolby Vision" party.
If that's what it takes, bring it on i say.
tenor.gif

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm if they did would have been in the last couple months, super recent. It's possible!

My apologies if I'm wrong; I thought I read it was fixed sometime in the last six months or so. I don't have an Apple TV so it would have only come up in passing of reading about it somewhere and already knowing it was an issue in the past.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If you have a UHD Blu-ray collection your best bet is still a dedicated player.

I'm sort of surprised that Sony even added a player to the PS5. The market for movies on physical media is still in deep decline.

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
Both consoles are to loud while spinning the discs. That alone makes them unsuitable.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok thanks. I assumed they meant 23.976. What type of content even uses pure 24fps?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you have a UHD Blu-ray collection your best bet is still a dedicated player.

I'm sort of surprised that Sony even added a player to the PS5. The market for movies on physical media is still in deep decline.
There's an upper echelon of poverty in the US that allows for new tvs and consoles inside of rented out mobile homes which are placed outside of internet serviceability. Physical media is a big deal for people who can't afford or do not have access to internet, cable, or subscription services on top of everything else.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
This honestly isn't at all surprising. No Xbox has been great at playing physical discs, only fine to good, mostly towards fine. My money has always been on it merely being a function of the system and them using an app to be the disc player and treating it like Windows rather than having some more focus and function as a mode of play.

I still need to play a disc through my PS5, but would love for them to let me just pay a DV license fee to use it. I know streaming and blah blah, but streaming doesn't have quite the same video quality/compression and there's no lossless audio whatsoever. I'll take the step-down to standard HDR10 over that until (if) we can get DV eventually.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
These update/state-of-affairs videos are super useful for people using BR discs for high-end playback. I'm glad to see the PS5 handing color-range data this well, even if it's still not quite perfect. Series X is in better shape than the 1X was about a year ago, but still has a lot of little stuff to improve.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Would pay for DV on PS5.

I'm happy with the image quality of it so far, but the drive noise on mine is pretty noticeable on certain UHDs and it's almost a dealbreaker. Newer discs seem to be better. Every UHD I've tried is loud at the beginning of the movie and then it settles down after 5-10 minutes, but there's still an audible whir in very quiet parts of a movie. Blu-ray Discs are much quieter than UHDs, can't hear them much at all. Still more drive noise than my standalone player, though.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
If it adds to the discussion, my Series X makes a loud grinding noise exclusively when trying to playback UHD disks.
That's crazy, I have never heard anyone say that before but I noticed it on ONE disc only a few months ago. Then I switched to my PS5 and found the audio was almost completely muted, and could never solve that problem either - been very frustrated after mostly being happy with the X1X as a UHD media player. Is the 1X a lot worse than the new consoles, I still have one plugged in.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
What cable did you end up buying?

THESE continued to still give me some issues, regardless of the good reviews:

THESE, on the other hand, finally worked. Supposedly one of the very few 2.1 cables certified by the HDMI association to do every feature of 48gps 2.1. Who knows... but they at least seem to work. The Blu Ray player though still continues to be wonky. Luckily, games always work fine. I'm fairly confident it's a strange HDCP handshaking issue that demands very specific cables.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
In other words, buy a dedicated blu ray player if your serious about your movie watching.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a bad BDP as the Xbox One/S/X. Every single one of them made problems with playback, the worst was skipping complete chapters at a chapter change point. Shortest LotR view ever lol

Now I'm watching on my PS5, but man is that media remote useless for that. Safe your money lol

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I wouldn't mind paying either. The lack of DV has kept me from really bothering to invest in any UHD's, because I have a Series X and PS5, and I'm not going to go out and buy a stand-alone player that's pretty expensive as well.

Do you realize that you're skipping out on better picture and audio quality because of an HDR badge? I can flip between Dolby Vision and HDR10 easily, and could easily go without Dolby Vision. It's not a night and day difference. Anyway, stand alone players with Dolby Vision can be had for less than $180.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a standalone 4K BR player, but have both systems, so I guess PS5 it is.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That reminds me, I should really put a disc in my XSX to make sure it's not broken without me realising.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I know the PS5 currently has an issue where it pushes "HDR" on content that doesn't support it, like PS4 games. Does that also apply to Blu-ray content? I've still been using my PS3 for Blu-ray and my PS5 for UHD, but would love to be able to move that to another room.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
If it adds to the discussion, my Series X makes a loud grinding noise exclusively when trying to playback UHD disks.
idk if its the same, but mine did that with games. spent a while trying to figure it out and eventually found there was some debris stuck to the rubber stand causing it to be slightly off balance. Cleaned that off and it hasn't done it since.

Dec 15, 2017
Been collecting 4K UHD's and I'm up to about 150 now, so I can weigh in a little bit. This is viewed on a 65" LG CX as the only 4k display I own atm.

The PS5 seems to be a very capable player other than the lack of DV and loud disc spinning, which is typically while loading discs only.

I also bought a Panasonic UB820 over christmas to be my primary player going forward. I will eventually upgrade my projector as well, so that helped drive the decision with its HDR optimizer, but I mostly bought it to see what the DV fuss was about.

I much prefer the options on the Panny that allow for a ton of adjustments, but for straight PQ only, I find they're essentially equal.

Dolby Vision has looked really good on the ones I've watched like The Hobbit and if Sony can get that added somehow, I see no reason this can't be someone's primary player. Even without it would be fine for most, but DV does add something and of course many will have a hard time missing out just from a mental aspect. It most definitely functions better than the LG my buddy lent and wanted to sell to me, and is much much quieter.

I would caution that anyone buying the media remote for UHD playback will be disappointed as it's designed for streaming apps, not disc playback and is missing important buttons. I used it for a bit and you can get by, but I found the controller at least had all the functions available on it, so I used that instead and evetually bought a receiver for my Harmony One to use on the PS5 instead.

Last edited: