• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Also worth noting this is going to affect everything, not just video games. Things like Netflix are going up, too.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Sucks.

I guess I should go ahead and pre-order stuff I know I want. Too bad this isn't after the Playstation event where I'm sure some dates will be nailed down for the year.

Oct 26, 2017
But does EB Gams now have to as well, or did they just pay the tax from their own pocket when you buy digital codes there?

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand, my Xbox store purchases have had taxes on them forever... Were your really able to get away without paying taxes on Ps?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Sadge.

Thanks for the reminder, took advantage of the fact that Deathloop is 10% off if you pre-order, and add on top the fact that you don't pay 13% in tax in Ontario and you got yourself a pretty great deal. I also went ahead and pre-ordered Kena.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Not looking forward to this. Gonna be a big increase in costs across the board. Don't have much incentive to buy digital anymore really.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
No, EB actually doesn't charge tax on full game downloads. Like if you bought a code for Monster Hunter Rise on Switch for $79.99, you wouldn't have to pay the roughly $10 tax on top of it, but would have to on the eShop (or any other retailer).
Ah, they can probably start charging tax on it now, or should at least.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Time to pre-order a bunch of games!

I don't understand, my Xbox store purchases have had taxes on them forever... Were your really able to get away without paying taxes on Ps?

In Ontario at least, there was a loophole that since Sony had no physical stores, unlike Microsoft, and only sold digital products, their items were not taxed. Same with Netflix/Crave subs here, they're exactly 11.99 no tax for example.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Digital is a blowup now. I'd rather have physical do I can resell those $105 games after I'm finished.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I have been paying taxes for PSN purchases for a while now. Maybe only some provinces were holding out.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Thought people on era liked paying taxes.

generally people like other people to pay taxes.

On topic, I think this brings PSN in alignment with the Xbox store. There was a weird loophole that allowed non-domiciled companies to not charge taxes which got closed.

But basically, gamesharing is the way to go for digital

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This is the kind of tax that really only hurts the working class. So dumb.

I don't often buy digital goods but I am glad that California has yet to institute this kind of a tax.

Pouring some out for my Canadian friends.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
We've been paying tax for PSN content in Quebec for ages, so it's not really new for all of us. Honestly, no tax on digital goods has always just a gargantuan loophole since online regulations are so far behind. It's especially noticeable with digital goods like Netflix subscriptions because as it stood without sales tax that money was leaving the country on top of no taxation. Just a lose-lose situation.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Time to pre-order a bunch of games!

In Ontario at least, there was a loophole that since Sony had no physical stores, unlike Microsoft, and only sold digital products, their items were not taxed. Same with Netflix/Crave subs here, they're exactly 11.99 no tax for example.

Ha wow didn't know that.

Either way I Think this is good I know games are expensive but I don't see why they should be exempt for sales tax that any other product in the country has on it...

If anything the base price of games should be lower, especially when our dollar is so strong atm.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I found it bizarre as well years back and it was a factor why I got rid of my Xbox One and kept my Ps4.

The digital tax has been in Quebec for a while now though

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Just bought my first PS5 game.

Spiderman Ultimate unopened on Kijiji for $60 CAD.

I think Kijiji will be my destination of choice for games.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
from toronto.
was getting away with this on psn for so long,
while xbox, nintendo stuff were taxed since forever.
probably will do a preorder fest today.
thanks for heads up