Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I know there is a lot of love for Castlevania 2D games. However, while watching the pretty great Netflix series based on Castlevania, I couldn't help but just wonder and dream what a similar game with the combat and party systems of FF7R. Thoughts?

latest

castlevania-season-four-1268199.jpeg

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
At first I was like eh? but upon seeing the animated cast it clicked instantly. Fuck yeah.

But I'd also take a FF7R style game comprised of Hello Kitty characters. It's just a fantastic combat/party system.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want a slow-paced Castlevania game where you have to stand around waiting for gauges to recharge. That's like the exact opposite of what would work well.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
No thank you. Sounds as bad as Lords of Shadow.

If there was to be another 3D vania I'd want them to give an honest go at translating classicvania to 3D.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Not personally what I'd want out of a 3D Castlevania, though I am definitely open to any potential 3D Castlevania game. Drives me insane when people say "Castlevania doesn't work in 3D", just because it's been done poorly before.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would work better if more similar to KH2FM.

and im sure there are tons of better options than what I said

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I just want a new Castlevania game. The advance collection made me realize that there are some great games in the series.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Not personally what I'd want out of a 3D Castlevania, though I am definitely open to any potential 3D Castlevania game. Drives me insane when people say "Castlevania doesn't work in 3D", just because it's been done poorly before.

what really bothers me is that the Metroidvania style CV games are usually considered the defacto CV games when... there are more Classicvania titles lol

I just want a new Castlevania game. The advance collection made me realize that there are some great games in the series.

the advance collection isn't even as good as the first one lol

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
This would be pretty cool ngl.
My dream would easily be Itsuno making a dmcish castlevania game base on the netflix show.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah make every area a straight corridor to pad the game even longer and split it in 4 parts.

Gonna be sick.

Accurate. It's pretty clear the FFVIIR framework didn't work as far as remaking FFVII was concerned, and I can only imagine how awful that would be for a game that doesn't just have multiple towns but multiple time periods.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake works because Square has amassed staff over the years and across the industry. I doubt Konami could make such a team unless they partner with NetEase or something

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just give me a character action game where I can fuck up everyone with Sypha. She made both the Avatars look like a fucking joke by the third season.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
If Square Enix couldn't even remake a quarter of VII in one go, would you really expect them to be able to pull off a significantly more complex world than VII's?

If they really wanted to, they could do it, but they know the herculean effort and fan judgment involved

How about we don't tamper with an all-time classic, unique JRPG in the most mediocre way imaginable.
I never said it was Trigger

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Seriously. This weird push to make everything into an action game is so depressing.
I think it's important to keep some formulas and genres alive for large franchises and big budget games. The homogenization of these titles just leaves me bored in the end. I enjoy character action games, but I'm with you, I don't need everything to fall into that bucket.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No. But I would like to see a more fleshed-out Lords of Shadow with a party system included.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
hell no lmao

I think it should be like a way easier fromsoft game

igarashi always wanted everyone to play his games so he always added several ways to stomp the game and most of these busted weapons are exploration rewards

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If Square Enix couldn't even remake a quarter of VII in one go, would you really expect them to be able to pull off a significantly more complex world than VII's?

To be fair :

They made DQXI.

:) . So they could. Just make sure the dude that designed FF13 and ff7r doesnt fucking touch the game whatsoever. Cant believe they never fired him.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think it could maybe work, OP. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I would play it with an open mind. As long as it isn't another character action game.
it shouldn't be like a fromsoft game either.
I strongly disagree. As an avid classicvania fan, the only 3D games that feel close to the pacing and style of a classicvania's combat are the Souls games. Ideally, a new Castlevania game wouldn't JUST be a Souls game, they would hopefully incorporate some light platforming (and would be a little more linear), but a new Castlevania game that took inspiration from a Souls title (or was made by From) would definitely be a good thing.
A Chrono game that doesn't have Double and Triple Techs is a complete waste of the Chrono IP.
That is a solid point, but I think they could incorporate that mechanic easily enough (and surely would). My biggest problem is the writing. Every time they embellished a scene in FF7R it was just filled with overwritten melodrama. I would HATE to see what they would do to a Chrono script. Chrono Cross already had a much beefier script than its predecessor, but it never felt like it was just spinning its wheels. I can't imagine modern Square having that same level of restraint. I am sorta happy the Chrono series is dormant. I only want a new game when Square is in a much better place.

Last edited:

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, the temperature in this thread is increasing exponentially from hot takes.

This is a cool idea, though I think the Castlevania formula works the way it is. Something like Chrono Trigger would be way cooler.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I'd be happy for them to just bring back Castlevania in any form, be it classic 2D Metroidvania-style, 3D Character DMC/esque, FromSoft-like Action game, Open-World Witchher-ish RPG, Dragon Quest 11-style turn-based party RPG, or even a top-down tactics Fire-Emblem-inspired.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair :

They made DQXI.

:) . So they could. Just make sure the dude that designed FF13 and ff7r doesnt fucking touch the game whatsoever. Cant believe they never fired him.

ah yes, THE dude that designed both games single handedly. Wait, who the fuck are you even thinking about?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I feel like I am the only one who on the planet who loved Lords of Shadow (second one was... not good.) So I would be for more like that, but Final Fantasy 7R-ish for sure.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
ah yes, THE dude that designed both games single handedly. Wait, who the fuck are you even thinking about?

?

Not talking about combat I'm talking about the structure of the game.

Toriyama, he already said he designed them that way on purpose.

He has the misguided sentiment that exploration and freedom makes it impossible to tell a good story.

And he wants his games to feel like watching a movie.

Now in a vacuum his sentiments are fine. The problem is that in effect, it's 2 hours long straight corridors with locked doors and valves and underground/sewer dungeons, where all you fucking do is walk forward, use a ladder, and fight enemies.

His game design is dreadful.

Nothing highlights his horrible ways more than playing 13 then going into 13-2, where the game design was handled by somebody else and it feels like such a strike improvement and breath of fresh air.