• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
As much as I love the new God of War, this is game I literally do NOT want a ton of sequels for. The original God of War formula got stale because they made so many sequels (there's technically 6 games with the two PSP games and Ascension) and I don't want to see that happen with the new formula.

It's the same feeling we had with Resident Evil 4. The game was excellent, and they tried to mimic or improve it's formula two times over with Resident Evil 5 and 6 and we got lesser games out of it. Then Capcom went in a different direction again for RE7.

Every time I hear a new or reinvented franchise is going to get tons of sequels, it immediately turns me off. Maybe it's because I keep thinking of Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed, or God of War's older games, or any other franchise with quick turn around sequels, it generally turns me off no matter how good the first game is.

Sometimes there's too much of a good thing. I arguably feel that way about the Dark Souls sequels at times too.

Oct 25, 2017
If he continues to want to evolve the property in the same sort of ways this one evolved from GoW3, then I think that's an exciting prospect.

notachoice

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with more sequels. Keep in mind they may continue to reinvent the gameplay as the series goes on.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have 100% faith in Cory to not only deliver a great story across all of the games, but to introduce new ideas and gameplay devices that will help keep each iteration fresh.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
That's how we feel now, but then when we get iterative sequels it's not the same. It's the same as the Resident Evil 4 to 5 transition.
I don't think barlog is crazy enough to do re4 to re5

That is a way different situation and if re5 and re6 truly was just more of re4 we'd be much happier... Except they strayed increasingly away from what made re4 so good

Very different situations

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
Two big sequels and some shorter adventures like Uncharted: Lost Legacy. It would be nice.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Cory thought out the games in the future and as such decided the content of the first title. Either its 2 or 4 games, its literally not an issue.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Give me yearly, tightly paced God of War and I am happy. Also expand on other pantheons. Go crazy with the gods, creatuers, battles and story.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's not about the setting or mechanics getting stale, it's the fact that dev times have slowed down so much that it seems like we are getting maybe 1 or 2 games at most per generation from a dev. So a multi-sequel follow-up to GoW almost certainly has this story playing out well into the middle of the next decade or beyond.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Other than fears for my own mortality, nope, gimme more, gimme all the more. I'm guessing whatever comes next won't just be a continuation with the exact same gameplay, but tbh if such a thing was available right now, I'd buy it today.

Minatoden

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Well, 4 more sequels could mean like 2 more mainline ones and 2 smaller games, idk.

Though Sony doesn't support any smaller platforms nowadays like they did at the time of Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta for the PSP.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Well they made a fantastic game and push the series in a new direction so yeah they would make more.

I mean alot of people want more as well.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
They set up so much and have a fantastic base to build off of so no, I'm actually really excited to see how it plays out in the future.

I get what you mean with Resident Evil 4 but it's not really comparable. I want to return to the world of God of War whereas that was never a draw for Resident Evil 5.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Ew.

Yeah, that would be a turn-off alright.

Hell, I'm already cooling off on this latest one before even finishing it. It's a solid game, but nothing all that special.

On the other hand, maybe we'll get Egyptian mythology at some point? That would be nifty.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kind of. I mean the story in God of War sort of felt like it should have been the opening few hours, not the whole game. Part of me thinks all the sequels might have the same issue with a dragged out overlong story which doesn't really get anywhere.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
We already got the ''old'' 6 games which were really good and God of War which was goddamn excellent. Why would I be put off if he already has some stories to tell ? Let him.

I'll be there day one.

People keep going in drove to every single MCU movie and every frikkin Star Wars spin-off imaginable, why would I be put off with a new god of war game every 2-4 years ? I don't get it at all.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
No.

Because there won't be 4 more God of Wars exactly like this.

I'm sure he would love to make 4 more but that's not going to go over well with the public.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I don't think it will be a big deal. The way the stuff is going I'm speculating
that the Norse stuff will only have like 2 games before jumping into Egypt or maybe even some multi pantheon action, they definately had a few Egypt seeds planted in there and Tyr and/or Ragnarok will probably be the catalyst for the change. I'd imagine the game might get a different feel in the Egypt chapters, possibly with Kratos dead and playing as Atreus/Loki with very different gameplay

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Keep it to a trilogy tops. Five games is far too many. The formula will be old by the sequel, but people will still want narrative closure and bigger and badder, hence a third will still be acknowledged and accepted. A 4th simply doesn't work unless it's reinvented and on a completely different platform (eg PS6, which is far too long to wait for closure on a particular narrative arc).

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was turned off... by the amount of people who misinterpreted what Cory Barlog said. He never said he would make 5 sequels

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Lol no. Give more of this. We won't be getting them 1 year apart or anything.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I hot the feeling the second would focus on Thord and the third would focus on Odin. Maybe that's too predictable.

Minatoden

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Also, I know Barlog has stuck with the franchise for a long time now, but God of War directors tend to come and go.

While I doubt he won't be around for the next one, who knows what happens in the future. David Jaffe wasn't around for the third game, and he had some crazy ideas for it.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way they could make a really psychedelic ancient Egyptian god of war?

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I like the most in video games is characters devoloping over many years.
MGS and Yakuza were great at that and were 2 of my favorite series. GoW now is on that path and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.