• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit disappointed about no announcement. Starting to think April 2nd might not be the date, especially with world champs happening end of April.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
A bit disappointed about no announcement. Starting to think April 2nd might not be the date, especially with world champs happening end of April.
April 2 never made much sense, since the giveaway that ends on that day is for cards that are rotating out. Maybe April 9?

And it's always possible that they are intending to do a quicker release schedule to focus the hype.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's impossible to be May but that would make the timing weird. It's almost weirder to have world champs after rotation though.
that would be a disaster for the normal schedule of releases, then next expansion would be on september and january? that would be weird, also making rastakahn 5 months, or even weirder, making next expansion only 3 months before next one hits.

I don't think that's what's happening.

april 2nd or 9th sounds posible, they could announce this next week and open the preorders that usually run for a month before release, that makes more sense

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so, the AMA is currently going on reddit, apparently they are going to add a new card to everyone similar to Marin the Fox before this next expansion hits

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No new game modes this year. Dammit blizzard try something new.

Honestly, if the single player is that good and with enough replay value I can be okay with that being my pseudo game mode of this year. I just hope they have something for next year.

They also mentioned some kind of progression for long time players, they want to do that, so I have hopes they can come up with something

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Honestly, if the single player is that good and with enough replay value I can be okay with that being my pseudo game mode of this year. I just hope they have something for next year.

They also mentioned some kind of progression for long time players, they want to do that, so I have hopes they can come up with something
The arena changes are welcome from my perspective too. Might make it feel a lot different.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they said there would be no new modes, we don't know.

But yeah, the singleplayer features coming up this year sound exciting and could be a significant draw.

thye specifically said no new modes this year, they are planning some "ambitious" game modes for later but they are pretty much on just initial design (basically nothing) so we can spect no new game modes at all. Just expanding what they do already.

Oct 25, 2017
thye specifically said no new modes this year, they are planning some "ambitious" game modes for later but they are pretty much on just initial design (basically nothing) so we can spect no new game modes at all. Just expanding what they do already.

If they said that, probably correct to assume there will not be.

But they do have a history of lacking transparency in new features up to the point they're about to launch them.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they said that, probably correct to assume there will not be.

But they do have a history of lacking transparency in new features up to the point they're about to launch them.
this is the comment from iksar:

We have a bunch of plans for this year that aren't new game modes. Our focus right now is making sure existing game modes feel like they're fresh and exciting, like our recent update to Arena. The honest answer is that we haven't figured out what the next Hearthstone game mode will be. We talk pretty in-depth about common suggestions like 2v2; we've even spent some time in design and engineering prototyping what that mode might translate to in Hearthstone. That said, it's not something we're working on today. We have some ambitious ideas for game modes in mind, but they're still very early on in the design process.

As far as new stuff goes, in 2019 we're really focusing on improving some of our existing systems while also doing some unique events throughout the expansion timeline to shake up the meta in fun ways. We'll share more information about these events as they get closer to release.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Other than a tournament mode, what do people even want in terms of new modes?

honestly? anything, the fact that the last game mode they added was like 4 years ago is quite surprising, we need somehing else to play.

preferably something where we use our collection, imo, but that differs from each person you ask

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Other than a tournament mode, what do people even want in terms of new modes?

It's a popular game with a big casual audience.

Eternal's PvE gauntlet and Elder Scrolls PvE drafts are two things I quite liked to get into the respective games.

After that, it's up to Blizzard to figure something out. Something like Magic's Commander format as a permanent addition should be possible with HS too in some form.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
An EDH format would be very cool. Though 2v2 sounds odd.

And my ceiling is definitely Rank 13. I get crushed when I hit it.

I did craft Odd Pally, though. So I guess I'm now part of the problem.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
An EDH format would be very cool. Though 2v2 sounds odd.

And my ceiling is definitely Rank 13. I get crushed when I hit it.

I did craft Odd Pally, though. So I guess I'm now part of the problem.
I think you need to just focus on one deck and keep plugging away. Eventually you'll hit a win streak and hit rank 10. It can take a while to really learn how to play each deck in each matchup.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I think you need to just focus on one deck and keep plugging away. Eventually you'll hit a win streak and hit rank 10. It can take a while to really learn how to play each deck in each matchup.
I was just going to ask how you guys manage decks on ladder. I have four decks and bounce around once I lose three in a row.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

exactly, to add to this, you need to know that ranks are not a matter of difficulty but of time, if you keep pushing you will eventually get to that rank.

Focusing on a single deck, like odd pally (a really good one) is good because you learn to master a single deck that can get you to the rank you want, while focusing on several can just confuse you on the way.

there is also the fact that you need to keep a right mind set on the games, because tilting is such a real issue on this game and you can't let it get to your head.

I usually only go with a single deck on ladder and keep it that way each month, I speciallize in that deck only.

This time it was elemental shaman for me, got to rank 5 a couple of hours ago.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Played some Mecha'thun Warlock in the Tavern Brawl, some success. The rogue decks are a real pain to play against, though. After two runs, I think I'll just go back to ranked ladder.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I was just going to ask how you guys manage decks on ladder. I have four decks and bounce around once I loss three in a row.
I play one deck at a time, and I only switch when I think the meta has actually shifted. Losing 3+ in a row doesn't necessarily mean that. It depends on why you lost.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
how can you even get to the end of the deck? I mean, I died on turn 3 to priest and rogue.

The deck I was using had enough to blow through the deck and easily get the win condition. It hit the point that in every match, I would win if I had 5 mana. The problem was a few rogues that had godly draw, but I managed to beat one or two. Priests were no issue for me.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I've played against some Rogue decks that are running Academic Espionage on ladder, which I find kinda weird as tat card is so RNG. They beat me if I play Odd Pally, but I win against them with Secret Mage or Tempo Rogue, though.
Odd Pally and Zoolock are so difficult to get going... too many decks run crazy AOE.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
You losing to acadermic rogue with odd pally?? in standard?? in wild I get it with the 5 drop aoe dude that 2 damages all enemies but that deck is usually waaaaaay too slow to beat odd pally a lot. maybe just an unlucky game or two, I doubt you'd lose to it consistently in standard where fan of knives is all they can really do to your wide board besides throw it back in your hand (if they even bother running vanish)

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You losing to acadermic rogue with odd pally?? in standard?? in wild I get it with the 5 drop aoe dude that 2 damages all enemies but that deck is usually waaaaaay too slow to beat odd pally a lot. maybe just an unlucky game or two, I doubt you'd lose to it consistently in standard where fan of knives is all they can really do to your wide board besides throw it back in your hand (if they even bother running vanish)
Just had bad draw and luck, I guess.

Thinking of taking out one Explosive Runes and adding a Vaporize to Secret Odd Mage... advisable?

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
No. That would be replacing one of your best cards with what would become one of your worst cards.
Yeah the more I thought about it the worse it seemed. At least with rune you take care of a minion and may get splash damage. I was thinking about it in the context of hyena or the buff minion in odd Pally but they'd go face with a smaller minion first.
Thanks!

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've played against some Rogue decks that are running Academic Espionage on ladder, which I find kinda weird as tat card is so RNG. They beat me if I play Odd Pally, but I win against them with Secret Mage or Tempo Rogue, though.
Odd Pally and Zoolock are so difficult to get going... too many decks run crazy AOE.

I'm kind of betting you are still trading a lot with that deck. Rogue by nature has a very difficult time healing or getting back life, so evey point you make to their face is one step closer to beating them, you should hit more face.

Yeah the more I thought about it the worse it seemed. At least with rune you take care of a minion and may get splash damage. I was thinking about it in the context of hyena or the buff minion in odd Pally but they'd go face with a smaller minion first.
Thanks!

the reason why it is a terrible decision is because you would be replacing one amazing good aggro card in an aggro deck for a terrible control card. you want to finish you opponents, not control their board.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm kind of betting you are still trading a lot with that deck. Rogue by nature has a very difficult time healing or getting back life, so evey point you make to their face is one step closer to beating them, you should hit more face.

the reason why it is a terrible decision is because you would be replacing one amazing good aggro card in an aggro deck for a terrible control card. you want to finish you opponents, not control their board.

I still haven't mastered the nuances of trade/face. And thinking about cards as aggro/control/tempo is so obvious, but it's the first time I've thought of them this way. It makes sense... the cards you run dictate your strats. That's a great conceptual shift...

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!
If you were gonna replace anything it would be counterspell with mirror entity, which can catch a lot of people off guard. Can also backfire really bad if they play something like doomsayer.

Oct 25, 2017
Have one of those too. Yeah, fun card but no way you want that out in the first 2-3 turns lol
Not necessarily. It's more about getting a read on what your opponent might play and just the situation overall. Basically just trying to get your mana's worth and put your opponent in a worse situation. It's actually a good card against other odd mages because you'll probably get a solid 3 drop out of it in Kirin Tor Mage, Pyromaniac, or Luna. Against Even Warlock you might get a Mountain Giant. You just have to think about what deck they're playing and what they might want to play in the situation. Another example would be against Hunter. You probably aren't gonna get any good 3 drops, but if they have the coin and they haven't played anything yet, then that should clue you in that they are probably Cube/egg Hunter and they might want to coin out Houndmaster Shaw to avoid taking any additional damage that you might have dealt. Ideally though, you probably would've played counterspell to avoid getting hit by coin flanking strike

It's a card worth thinking about. Maybe Splitting Image too. I dunno, I haven't used it.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Well, yeah, I think I was just generally saying that turn 2 minions are not worth the trouble of coining into Tor into Mirror on turn 2.

Splitting Image is great once you have minions with powerful effects. It's an excellent card to have in that deck, though I'm just running one.

And I'm just playing around with a meme-y Study Rogue deck in casual and you can get up to some great shenanigans with that deck.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Drunk Post: Anyone else think Ben Brode was the problem with stagnation in HS? It seems they are taking more chances now that he is gone. (Not that Shudderwock was a great card, but he would never have passed it if he was more involved.)

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Drunk Post: Anyone else think Ben Brode was the problem with stagnation in HS? It seems they are taking more chances now that he is gone. (Not that Shudderwock was a great card, but he would never have passed it if he was more involved.)

every year at the beginning of the HS year they come full force with PR moves and communication, I'll have to see if this time they are for real, but for now I'm lowering my expectations because this is not the first time they make promises they never keep.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

It might be still too early to judge Brode's influence on the card design, but Shudderwock is a strange example as it seems to me like the kind of crazy card he could get behind. The biggest offenders in terms of stagnation have been Genn and Baku for making games play out too similarly which, funnily enough, is a state Brode always talked about as the bad end result of not having enough RNG in the game to throw a wrench into things.

Also tournament mode was announced by Ben Brode and scrapped after he had left. Now we have confirmation that no new mode will happen before 2020. Make of that what you will.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Fair points. As for the Shudderwock there was an interview in which Brode talks about seeing the card's effect and saying we cannot let this through, and the team said nope, already happening. Maybe that's what happened with G/B?

This new expansion will be a interesting to say the least.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only real difference to the players with Brode gone is more willingness to nerf cards/decks.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's the only real change since ben's leave.

Nerfs are coming far faster and they have changed direction with the basic and classic set, the last one is something that could be good or bad, we are still on the way to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.