• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, that's not as bad as I thought, as I was thinking around $120 for two $60 packs. Though, I'm not lucky, in the golden Classic pack for the new preorder adventure I got two Sense Demons! lol

I appreciate the post.
It's far more than 100 packs to approach a full classic set. Like multiple hundreds at least, I would think. You might not even get 3 legendaries in 100 packs.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
BigAT Sumofabeech

Anyway, I'll start small and go from there. I want to get a complete collection of Classic, then Standard. So it might be a year or so...

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Awww, the new adventure isn't the cool deck buildy format of the last few solo adventures? BOooooooooooooooooooooo

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017

Looks like nerfs are live. GIMME THAT DUST!

Nwgk4ch.png

Hearthstone_Screenshot_01-09-20_18.36.09.png

Last edited:

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
These nerfs are good, i think. but i discovered Slay the Spire last week and now i can't play hearthstone in the same way, just makes me want to play Slay The Spire :(

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It's good in Highlander decks, which are S tier right now, and the nerf only changed that you can't get another Dragonqueen from it... what am I missing?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's good in Highlander decks, which are S tier right now, and the nerf only changed that you can't get another Dragonqueen from it... what am I missing?
You're missing the fact that highlander decks can be extremely costly and we have no idea what the meta is yet post nerf. Yes, the card will undoutebly still see alot of play, that doesn't mean it's a bad idea to dust the card. So just recraft it if needed for a net loss of 0 once the meta has settled.

It's simple dust maximizing.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You're missing the fact that highlander decks can be extremely costly and we have no idea what the meta is yet post nerf. Yes, the card will undoutebly still see alot of play, that doesn't mean it's a bad idea to dust the card. So just recraft it if needed for a net loss of 0 once the meta has settled.

It's simple dust maximizing.
Oh, and I'm completely missing the fact that we get the complete dust value for it.

Oct 25, 2017
I am liking maly rogue! I crafted jepetto for it. Might be good enough for galakrond rogue decks in general tbh, not 100% on that though.

You guys are nuts for dusting Dragonqueen.

I literally opened a golden neo-malygos today, what if it was DQA? lol... good enough reason to dust right there. I did dust DQA, I just was a little off in my luck. Actually would have been insane since I opened old school onyxia the pack right before.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah 3200 for a golden Alex and 1600 for the dragon back means I can craft DQA again regular and have 2 more Legendaries of my choice.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Theory question: I was watching a deck doctor video with Firebat and he was describing how the submitted deck was fighting for board on turn one and two and then giving up the board and not returning to board until turn five... he said this was a misalignment of the deck's purpose. This type of strategy is definitely based on the minions in the deck, but how do you read this strategy from the minions? This might be something I understand intuitively, but it seems a good point to be absolutely clear on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Theory question: I was watching a deck doctor video with Firebat and he was describing how the submitted deck was fighting for board on turn one and two and then giving up the board and not returning to board until turn five... he said this was a misalignment of the deck's purpose. This type of strategy is definitely based on the minions in the deck, but how do you read this strategy from the minions? This might be something I understand intuitively, but it seems a good point to be absolutely clear on.

I'm guessing it's based on if you are playing a tempo, token or zoo deck you plan on building a board so you can trade and push face damage.

If your minions aren't up-trading or pushing tempo then you lose. So minions that buff, rush (and live), deathrattle other minions, reborn and/or battlecry damage will help your board based strategy.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm guessing it's based on if you are playing a tempo, token or zoo deck you plan on building a board so you can trade and push face damage.

If your minions aren't up-trading or pushing tempo then you lose. So minions that buff, rush (and live), deathrattle other minions, reborn and/or battlecry damage will help your board based strategy.
I thought it might have something to do with deck archetypes and Charge minions. When to face (ignore board) or trade (value, etc.). Strategy/tactics fascinate me (probably from my chess background), especially at the higher skill levels. And watching streamers play that ZooLackey deck was very interesting to watch; aggro seems simple, but the moves for that deck seemed quite complicated.

I'm spending a lot of time going back and reading articles on the Hearthstone Wiki to get a proper foundation, and I'm playing more Arena to work on deckbuilding and live game interactions. Fun stuff...

Thanks for the post.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
I was missing a bunch of cards but tried out a quest Albatross deck. First game was Highlander Hunter. He would've had lethal from Zephys if it wasn't for the albatrosses.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I thought it might have something to do with deck archetypes and Charge minions. When to face (ignore board) or trade (value, etc.). Strategy/tactics fascinate me (probably from my chess background), especially at the higher skill levels. And watching streamers play that ZooLackey deck was very interesting to watch; aggro seems simple, but the moves for that deck seemed quite complicated.

I'm spending a lot of time going back and reading articles on the Hearthstone Wiki to get a proper foundation, and I'm playing more Arena to work on deckbuilding and live game interactions. Fun stuff...

An easy exercise is to go through what a deck would want to play each turn with a perfect draw. So if the deck in the Firebat example had a good minion to play on Turn 1 and a good minion to play on Turn 2 but then big fat ???s until Turn 5, you can assume the first two minions got beat up and lost the advantage in the intervening turns. Your ideal play doesn't have to be a minion, either. Aggro can give up on the board half-way through and just start chugging direct damage at the face.

Obviously doesn't work as well for heavily reactive archetypes, but if your deck cares about fighting for the board it's probably not one of those.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
My current go-to hearthstone resource is now https://hearthstone-decks.net/

Neon31 has been doing a great job compiling top pro-player decks and articles.

Try it out if you want a quick up-to-date decks and some newer articles.

(Not an ad; just thinking this site needs to be recognized)

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
No problem. A lot of times RNG effects obscure the decision making that differentiates average players from better players.

Depending on your goals learning the strategy in this game will absolutely set you apart.
My current go-to hearthstone resource is now https://hearthstone-decks.net/
I appreciate the help here; I'll definitely check out that site, too. I mainly hit up the wiki, topdecks, Tempo Storm, and Vicious Syndicate (though that was someone's recent suggestion). I also try to watch all the competitive play I can to hear the casters, watch the plays and see if my plays line up with the pros and why. It's a deep rabbit hole...

An easy exercise is to go through what a deck would want to play each turn with a perfect draw.

Obviously doesn't work as well for heavily reactive archetypes, but if your deck cares about fighting for the board it's probably not one of those.
The perfect draw comment is an interesting one as I never think about having the game play out optimally, which goes to manhack's idea of RNG. I tend to build reactive decks--my opponent will have this, how do I counter? Rarely do I think about my line of play.

Again, thanks for all the discussion.

And Arena RNG gave someone a Dragonqueen. Bastards.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm watching NFL playoffs with the wife and she has been going on and on about aesthetically beautiful plays... and it got me thinking what are some "aesthetically beautiful" Hearthstone plays?

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching NFL playoffs with the wife and she has been going on and on about aesthetically beautiful plays... and it got me thinking what are some "aesthetically beautiful" Hearthstone plays?
Plays that bend the mindset of how a normal game is done.

For example, i was killed by a hunter that killed his own minion to kill me. I was about to die and he had a leper gnome, he was just 3 away to killing me, he then used corrosive breath, killed his minion, made me 2 damage from the gnome and 3 from the breath, killed me, beautiful.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else try out the new Pyramid and Queen Waggle in BG? They're both pretty decent now. Fun to play in the early rounds, and the hero powers keep giving value later in the game. Probably both B-tier now.

Oct 25, 2017
What is the longest head to head saga you've had in BG? Just lost after 4 rounds, I won the first two but they got me in the last 2.....they actually made it all the way to the final 2 with no damage taken :|

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
True. We need some sort of tournament mode that brings back the competitive aspect of the game for everyone. Picks/Bans, Leaderboards, Automated Tournaments. We can pray.
Yup, that would be the way to go IMO. Maybe with the new wind in the team / change of direction we'll get something like that. IIRC they mentioned Battlegrounds was the first new playstyle for Hearthstone, so who knows.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
The best part of that clip is how bad the commentary is and how kripp was acting all high and mighty like he is not salty and reynad is acting salty when in reality he is determining the line of play that wins him the game on the spot.

Oct 25, 2017
Wooo, hit legend again. I have not hit legend twice in a single expansion in quite a while! Last month I hit it with shark galakrond rogue. This time I hit it with malygos galakrond rogue.

Best part is the last game was quite memorable because of a certain twist. I thought I might lose because the opponent rogue was being pretty aggressive and got nat pagle off his lackey, giving him extra fuel to finish me off. But then my evolve got me this 3/5 grim patron like card that copies itself whenever it survives damage. So it copies buffs too! I gave it 2 attack from galakron buffs but here is the real kicker, I gave it rush! Soon I cleared the board with self replicating rush minions!

Hearthstone_Screenshot_01-12-20_18.33.16.png

And that board plus playing galakrond (mostly for the weapon) got me lethal.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
On the topic of changes to the game, will/has Blizz ever consider/ed a Season/Battle Pass system? Gold, packs, dust, cards, maybe even old and new cardbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.