• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
that whole combo seems unnecessarily complicated

at some point just drop an elemental and copy (4 mana), then do stormwind knight (4 more), pw:s and divine spirits as necessary (0), topsy (0) and mass dispel (2)

clears everything out of the way and gives you an otk without needing you to have a billion apm, and takes hearthstone's slow-ass animation speed out of the question. also really cuts down on the math

yeah you can't do it in the edge case where you've allowed your opponent to have like 80 health and armor, but it'd be a lot more consistent than trying to do goddamn calculus while simultaneously playing an entire starcraft match in 75 seconds

Where do you get the shields/divine spirits for that though? The test subject abuse is where the infinite trail of spells is coming from.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1-0 in arena and I get matched up with a hunter who plays turn 1 coin + prince keleseth, which gets activated.

You have to be kidding me.

I managed to beat him, but it was such a ridiculous starting hand for him.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I just played my first togwaggle Druid, as big spell mage so literally nothing I could do. I've actually never seen the kings ransom combo but even if I knew what he was going to do I couldn't have stopped it. Gave me like 3 cards, I got my deck back and then he drew his hand and gave me an empty deck. Talk about uninteractive.That is so dumb.

I'm not invalidating anything you're saying, I just wanted to add that BSM vs. Togwaggle is literally one of the worst match-ups in Hearthstone right now.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
im wrecking with Odd Rogue tonight. Blood Knight is doing some serious work. (my 5 game losing streak is imminent im sure)

ive beaten zoo, Control Lock, Druid and a few Hunters. dont leave those divine shields up!

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
According to HSReplay :

Warlock is the #1 most played @ 28.9%, but it is the 5th most powerful class @ 49.8%
Druid is the #3 played class @ 14.8% and it is the 4th most powerful class @ 50.0%

Warlock complaints still seem to be warranted as the class dominating the played meta. I find it funny how Hunter, Rogue and Mage are the top 3 in power level (according to this) , but we aren't hearing any complaints about them.

I don't use HSReplay, so i can't say how accurate it is, but it seems a bit weird to group decks together under the same class. I don't really get how that is supposed to be helpfull. I have always just used VS(https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/). Anyway here is where they are atm.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I did a test, played odd warrior and didn't face druid.

I changed to big mage, guess what 2 druids in a row. Changed to odd warrior again, and of course not facing druid.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't use HSReplay, so i can't say how accurate it is, but it seems a bit weird to group decks together under the same class. I don't really get how that is supposed to be helpfull. I have always just used VS(https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/). Anyway here is where they are atm.

I've heard this complaint in a few different places concerning HSReplay. If you go to the website you can find the same sort of information. I use both websites so I'm not particularly biased.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not invalidating anything you're saying, I just wanted to add that BSM vs. Togwaggle is literally one of the worst match-ups in Hearthstone right now.
That's the problem. There are too many lopsided matchups. I understand there will be some element of this, some RNG, some draw dependency. But when "balance" is primarily dependent on matchups (i.e., an archetype is "balanced" because it wins 90% of the time vs half of the other archetypes, and 10% of the other half), that's approaching Rock Paper Scissors.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised to see that Tavern Brawl this week is a Standard Brawliseum. Will be fun to see how far I can get on the free ticket, but not sure I'll farm this one.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I'm surprised to see that Tavern Brawl this week is a Standard Brawliseum. Will be fun to see how far I can get on the free ticket, but not sure I'll farm this one.
I'm wondering what deck will take me the farthest. I was liking the No Fun Control Warlock that just runs every anticombo tool and does decent against aggro too. Might just try that, or wait it out and see what people are saying in the Tavern Brawl reddit thread.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually insane how much zoolock is dominating the meta right now. I don't remember a time when one deck made up so much of the ladder. Not really healthy for the game.

In other news, more veteran Hearthstone devs have left Blizzard for Brode's company.

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's actually insane how much zoolock is dominating the meta right now. I don't remember a time when one deck made up so much of the ladder. Not really healthy for the game.

In other news, more veteran Hearthstone devs have left Blizzard for Brode's company.

Yeah I dont really get it. Lot of decks own it. The magnets own it. Rogue owns it. Even even warlock can own it..

Feels good to own Druid though after what they put us through these last few months..

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Who?

I hate to say it, but I feel like this expansion has been a real departure from the Hearthstone I've known and loved the past 3 years. The combo decks are just out of control. I might be jumping ship to whatever Brode and Co. have up their sleeve.

https://twitter.com/seconddinner/status/1029786058269945856

And it's not this expansion that has been the true departure. I think Kobolds is where the game shifted. This is just the continuation. Recruit and similar effects have really damaged the concept of tempo in HS in favor of combo. Lots of people in this thread think combo is fun, but I think it sucks.

So yeah, I still enjoy HS and all, but the game seems lost right now. The rock-paper-scissors meta means your individual skill at piloting a deck is outweighed by the matchup. I guess there's still some skill left in all the Zoo-Zoo mirrors!

I don't know what Brode is cooking up, but I will be very interested if its a CCG.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Who?

I hate to say it, but I feel like this expansion has been a real departure from the Hearthstone I've known and loved the past 3 years. The combo decks are just out of control. I might be jumping ship to whatever Brode and Co. have up their sleeve.
You realize that brode was the leading dev for this and the next couple sets to varying degrees.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love nothing more than to go and have a pint with Ben Brode.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
all the executive level staff left together, feels kinda odd... or that they've made shit load of money off the HS so why not be your own boss now.

Oct 25, 2017
Tried zoolock in the brawl and only won 2 games :|

Ah well

Is Floop and Prince Taldaram necessary for Malygos druid? I don't want to use any more dust this week

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy

And it's not this expansion that has been the true departure. I think Kobolds is where the game shifted. This is just the continuation. Recruit and similar effects have really damaged the concept of tempo in HS in favor of combo. Lots of people in this thread think combo is fun, but I think it sucks.

So yeah, I still enjoy HS and all, but the game seems lost right now. The rock-paper-scissors meta means your individual skill at piloting a deck is outweighed by the matchup. I guess there's still some skill left in all the Zoo-Zoo mirrors!

I don't know what Brode is cooking up, but I will be very interested if its a CCG.

Yeah, you are right. It definitely started a couple expansions ago. The game became less about finding small tempo gains here and there as you progressed from early, to mid, to late game and more about huge swing turns and cheating out big minions. And now, to combat that, they've really turned up the combos to 11. So you either are breaking the game through huge tempo turns or breaking the game through OTKs.

People used to complain about aggro dominating the meta, back in the day, but this is way, way more egregious and unfun, IMO.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think this news actually warrants a new thread.

Thats a lot of the core Hearthstone team.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
You're so sweet.
mq6PRQ.jpg

He just played Hemet so I had reasonable odds at hitting a combo piece. Roper deserved it too.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017

Where are you getting your zoo stats btw? I'm looking at HSReplay popularity and Zoo is only at 11.4% across all ranks over the last 3 days. Not even close to some of the worst offenders like undertaker hunter, mid-range shaman and Jade Druid in their prime.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have his list? I'd be interested in seeing that.

### WELL MECH'D
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Argent Squire
# 2x (1) Glow-Tron
# 2x (1) Lost in the Jungle
# 2x (1) Mecharoo
# 2x (1) Righteous Protector
# 2x (3) Divine Favor
# 1x (3) Ironbeak Owl
# 2x (3) Microtech Controller
# 2x (3) Raid Leader
# 2x (3) Stonehill Defender
# 2x (3) Unidentified Maul
# 2x (5) Fungalmancer
# 2x (5) Giggling Inventor
# 2x (5) Level Up!
# 2x (7) Stormwind Champion
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAECAZ8FAqICnvgCDqcF8QX1BfkKm8ICuMcC48sC0eEC1uUCteYC4vgC9v0C1v4CjIADAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

You can add void ripper or possibly blood knight as nice tech choices. basically all you want to do is refill the board over and over. i had to get twisting nether'd two turns in a row once bc you can always fill the board from your hand. stonehill defender is weak and can be tossed for one of those techs but if you pull sunkeeper tarim you win the game so i play two

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you getting your zoo stats btw? I'm looking at HSReplay popularity and Zoo is only at 11.4% across all ranks over the last 3 days. Not even close to some of the worst offenders like undertaker hunter, mid-range shaman and Jade Druid in their prime.
I started just after undertaker was nerfed, so I don't know about that, but I'm going on feel. Does any site have historical data on this?

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I started just after undertaker was nerfed, so I don't know about that, but I'm going on feel. Does any site have historical data on this?

I did a quick search on Vicious Syndicate and found that 2 weeks after Frozen Throne came out it was over 16% of the meta and Druid was 30% overall. https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-60/

Pre-spirit claws nerf aggro shaman was 15% of the meta. https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-36/

And the old classic Midrange shaman, by itself, was whopping 20.75% of the meta https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-25/

We'll be getting a vS Data Report tomorrow. Will be interesting to see their take on the meta. I keep track of a lot of different things and almost always have a streamer on in the background.

I'm definitely getting mixed feelings from people on how much they like this meta and expansion. Personally this is nowhere near some of the worst metas, but I will always look forward to balance changes, if and when they materialize.

Dr.Horrible

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, so I dusted morrigan so I could craft something and then I pull her from one of my packs I just got. Damn it .

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lol, so I dusted morrigan so I could craft something and then I pull her from one of my packs I just got. Damn it .
Never dust a legendary until your done opening packs for the expansion and start saving for the new one. Re-opening the bad ones hurts. Its the only reason I haven't dusted that bad stealth one that transforms int your opponents minion.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely can not believe the RNG on this game sometimes.

Was just playing an arena game and I had 2 2/1 minions on my side. My opponent had a 1/1 silver hand and the 3/1 mech which has the deathrattle of summon 3 1/1 mechs. I play bane of doom on the 3/1 mech and get Despicable Dreadlord, which calls the 4 1/1s at the end of my turn.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
So, is everyone on ladder playing priest now? Ran in to 5 in a row, 4 of them quest priest.

jgminto

Oct 25, 2017
Got an 11 win free brawl with Heallock, so I'm pretty happy. I might have got 12 wins but I played heavy into what I thought was another Heallock but was actually the heavy taunt list and was hard punished by a defile.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am playing a deck by Chinoize. It is fun, and a bit different, which is everything I want in a deck. Can do really powerful stuff - both aggressive and defensive. Kinda feels like Controlock, but lacks a way to counter OTK hands. It is MUCH more sticky on board though. I have played Overload Shaman decks before, but this feels significantly better with the new cards.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am playing a deck by Chinoize. It is fun, and a bit different, which is everything I want in a deck. Can do really powerful stuff - both aggressive and defensive. Kinda feels like Controlock, but lacks a way to counter OTK hands. It is MUCH more sticky on board though. I have played Overload Shaman decks before, but this feels significantly better with the new cards.

I also used this deck. It's really fun:

But it's kinda weak against aggro decks. Even Shaman is a better option to climb the latter.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Someone with more experience playing all different kinds of trading card games please enlighten me, because "most of our card changes address the perception of class balance more than they address actual class win rates" seems like a crazy admission to make.

If you're nerfing cards that are perceived to be overpowered but in truth aren't, then you're lowering the power level of a class that your data states is fine to maybe below playable levels. I can see this reasoning standing up for cases like the rogue quest but to say it's the logic you apply to most of your balancing decisions?

Or is he saying that when a class is out of line, they nerf cards that are perceived badly by the community rather than the actual OP cards? Though I can't think of too many examples of this either. Maybe nerfing Spreading Plague over Ultimate Infestation applies. But there are just as many counter-examples, like nerfing Small-Time Buccaneer and Fiery War Axe before finally touching Patches like players had been yelling for or throwing Rockbiter Weapon and Tuskarr Totemic under the bus to preserve the much hated Tunnel Trogg into Totem Golem opening to infinity.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who's pretty new to the game, i feel so overwhelmed with all the new cards. Watching some streams and i still can't decide what deck to play with the new expansion cards.

Even when it comes to deck building im too dependant on sites like hsreplay. Even after a month of playing i feel i have absolutely no knowledge of cards, to be able to construct a deck myself. :(
I'm sort of in the same spot. I just netdeck, but don't really understand what I can build with what I have and I have quite a few cards, and it's BECAUSE I have so many cards. I don't understand synergies and how some of these cards play off each other, with the exception of death rattle stuff. I have a pretty decent death rattle deck for hunter but that doesn't go too far.

Oct 28, 2017
Someone with more experience playing all different kinds of trading card games please enlighten me, because "most of our card changes address the perception of class balance more than they address actual class win rates" seems like a crazy admission to make.

If you're nerfing cards that are perceived to be overpowered but in truth aren't, then you're lowering the power level of a class that your data states is fine to maybe below playable levels. I can see this reasoning standing up for cases like the rogue quest but to say it's the logic you apply to most of your balancing decisions?

Or is he saying that when a class is out of line, they nerf cards that are perceived badly by the community rather than the actual OP cards? Though I can't think of too many examples of this either. Maybe nerfing Spreading Plague over Ultimate Infestation applies. But there are just as many counter-examples, like nerfing Small-Time Buccaneer and Fiery War Axe before finally touching Patches like players had been yelling for or throwing Rockbiter Weapon and Tuskarr Totemic under the bus to preserve the much hated Tunnel Trogg into Totem Golem opening to infinity.

I think the followup is presumably that they make nerfs they don't think will neuter a whole archetype. That's why they didn't touch Patches or Trogg/Golem right away - you'd just completely wipe out the decks if you did that.

If your entire userbase is up in arms about a deck, it doesn't matter if it's perfectly balanced. It only matters that the playerbase doesn't understand that it's balanced and wants it fixed. You have to react to that, even if it hinders game balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.