Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24087317/29-2-2-patch-notes

Some big time changes. Highlander cards (from Badlands only it seems?) now operate off your deck at the start of the game and not your current deck which has some pretty big implications.
that's pretty big change wise. Those Highlander cards usually were really helpful in Arena, I've had the Reno hero (when it was in rotation) board clear go both for and against me when drafted, where sometimes you can't draft something other than at least 1 or 2 doubles if the 3 picks draw it that way. But could reliably get down to no duplicates in the deck by the time it was needed.

Last edited:

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Gotta be one of, if not THE biggest balance update in the history of the game. Really excited to dive in and see.

I love the highlander rule change on paper; it fights the turbo draw nonsense as they mentioned, but also strengthens the decks against stuff like plagues. You're already weakening your deck running singletons for a huge payoff; plagues shutting that completely down really just feels bad.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I would love to make no minion mage work, but I am convinced it cannot because one of the key payoffs is practically unplayable because most of the 3 mana minions are understatted due to battle cries. It never swings the board and rarely even puts enough stats to contest an enemy board.

Oct 25, 2017
Well this definitely wasn't the doom and gloom I'd thought it be for me personally. The highlander change is good and bad. It's nice that you can now shuffle duplicates of stuff into your own deck though, if you want.

Oct 25, 2017
I just started laddering today and at bronze I was facing a diamond player. The burden of 11stars lol

Well this definitely wasn't the doom and gloom I'd thought it be for me personally. The highlander change is good and bad. It's nice that you can now shuffle duplicates of stuff into your own deck though, if you want.

All good imo. Gets rid of fake HL decks and no longer afraid of plagues making my deck break.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I remember pitching the "buff" to sunset volley. And I dunno if I came up with the idea on my own because I recall other people saying it as well, but the reno changes are awesome.

I think so far this has shown to be a great patch. I will hate seeing more yogg boxes though.

Feb 16, 2018
it's still tough to comprehend what the game is like now

the band manager not even getting played outside of battlecry-doubling highlander decks is kind of wild

it's like they didn't even include any counterplay in the card pool, so there's nothing worth wishing for

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing we'll be seeing Mini-set soon since we are approaching on the two months since the expansion mark again. What's the next overturned legendary they'll release in a miniset that will warp the entire game around it one wonders.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I mean, when is the last balance patch they had that didn't have some awful side effect to it? They haven't been very good at this for a long, long time.

Look at how many times they had to nerf Paladin to get it into a reasonable place, and now it's just climbing back to tier 1 again anyway lol.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
One of those balance misses that is genuinely baffling. How did they not see this coming.
I mean, when is the last balance patch they had that didn't have some awful side effect to it? They haven't been very good at this for a long, long time.
There's something going on in this meta.
I mean, they changed 30 cards (buffs/nerfs) and still I don't feel like much has changed.
How can you change so many cards and not have much of an impact.

I can't play off meta stuff because the main decks are very oppressive.
I'm not sure this should be normal for the 1st expansion of the year.

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion the best meta this expansion was before they did any balance changes lol.

I thought they really knocked it out the park at launch and have kind of flubbed it ever since.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Realized Blizz nerfed my Rogue RNG deck with the tentacles making when I wasn't getting Sunset Volley off the 10 cost cards...Was having so much fun with it.

To me that was the only reason I was playing constructed (have not taken seriously since like Mean Streets of Gadgetzan). Back to Arena, Tavern Brawls, and Battlegrounds to complete all the quests again.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah a big whiff on balance changes so far. I was having tons of fun with shopper DH (T1 and a fast deck) and Paladin at launch, my homebrewish plague DK made me happy to see warrior and was great until this patch. Gonna mess with Hybrid Druid, Paladin and Hunter a bit, but every Warrior match up is a slog and they are 30% of the meta and more depending on how unlucky I get.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
best-performing-decks-may-04-v0-c1u64dt3tgyc1.jpeg

Hang on, we've gone back full circle at this point.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1787890745141006454

There it is, new keyword with Gigantify, which gives you an 8 Mana 8/8 version of the card you played. There's a new mechanic of packs as well which is sorta like how Evocation used to work giving you a lot of temporary cards to play on the turn from a set. Though didn't reveal any of those to go with this announcement. I guess we'll see some of them soon.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First thought: 8 mana is way to slow. And if it isn't there's reno. Hard to get exited when slow decks are nearly impossible now if you're not a warrior.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
You might play that in Good Stuff Druid. Gives you something early to ward off aggression and something late to pressure control. There going to nerf Brann so you don't need to build every control deck around winning before the Boom boss turn.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
hearthstone.blizzard.com

29.4 Patch Notes

Gigantify your fun with Dr. Boom’s Incredible Inventions, and more!

Alongside the miniset, Branns going to 8 Mana, and Saddle Up is going to 4 Mana, lets see how that shakes up the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Brann going to 8 is pretty damn brutal. Not worried about the class though, especially with that ridiculous mana cheat card they're getting.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
eventually, all mini set diamond cards (main legendary) are sent to die
(I haven't checked, but it seems like a pattern is forming)

Let's run through the list...

Thaddius, Monstrocity: Nerfed (Arguably reworked) then Nerfed again.
Magatha, Bane of Music: Not been adjusted at all.
Yogg-Saron, Unleashed: Nerfed.
Deepminer Brann: About to be Nerfed.

So 3 for 4 so far. Eeyup.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Let's run through the list...

Thaddius, Monstrocity: Nerfed (Arguably reworked) then Nerfed again.
Magatha, Bane of Music: Not been adjusted at all.
Yogg-Saron, Unleashed: Nerfed.
Deepminer Brann: About to be Nerfed.

So 3 for 4 so far. Eeyup.
Do you guys think the diamond puppeteer guy in this mini set could get nerfed?
I'm not sure. I don't think he's too powerful, but mana cheating always causes problems.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think the diamond puppeteer guy in this mini set could get nerfed?
I'm not sure. I don't think he's too powerful, but mana cheating always causes problems.
Someone will figure out a way. I'm already enjoying him in my DH deck. Get a discounted Mag and a 1 mana 1/1 Mag, or a 1/1 Shopper, it's awesome. He's also completely useless if I don't have the weapon, so it all balances out lol.

Trying to figure out a way to fit him into a DK deck.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
I know most here don't really care about Wild, but I don't know what they were thinking adding that new Warlock card to the game when Demon Seed exists and was already strong.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Flood Paladin and Pain Warlock just running rampant at the moment, the only class that's got the removal to handle it is Warrior. And Highlander Warrior then just trumps all the other control decks even with the Brann nerf.

Add to the extended quests still asking you to play more for not enough tavern pass progress in return and this current set is feeling pretty miserable, not going to lie.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
they need better technology or just better cadence of adjustments
ideally, I would like nerfs/buffs every week; if they consider the meta stable then it could hold 2-3 weeks

Oct 25, 2017
Flood Paladin and Pain Warlock just running rampant at the moment, the only class that's got the removal to handle it is Warrior. And Highlander Warrior then just trumps all the other control decks even with the Brann nerf.

Add to the extended quests still asking you to play more for not enough tavern pass progress in return and this current set is feeling pretty miserable, not going to lie.
It sucks because I enjoyed the set so much at launch. Truly one of my favorite launch sets, but they just keep missing when it comes to balance changes. It kinda blows my mind that Highlander warrior is somehow still a thing. I mean I've been beating the shit out of them, but from what I understand, the deck is still a problem.
they need better technology or just better cadence of adjustments
ideally, I would like nerfs/buffs every week; if they consider the meta stable then it could hold 2-3 weeks
This sounds absolutely miserable. Honestly, the way they do it now is almost a bit too much.

Oct 25, 2017
I used gold for the mini set but will I use any of the cards since Flood seems even more effective this weekend lol, I went 10-1 getting the ranked quest done

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the game is fundamentally broken at this point and only a major overhaul will fix it. Mass mana cheat, card generation and crazy amounts of draw have al ruined what I loved about it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks because I enjoyed the set so much at launch. Truly one of my favorite launch sets, but they just keep missing when it comes to balance changes. It kinda blows my mind that Highlander warrior is somehow still a thing. I mean I've been beating the shit out of them, but from what I understand, the deck is still a problem.

This sounds absolutely miserable. Honestly, the way they do it now is almost a bit too much.

One thing Highlander Warrior has other over decks is there isn't really ways to counter it's endgame wincons once they are down. Rheastraza's Dragon Nest and Sargeras Nether Portals? Reno can remove them on play, so you either have to play them after Reno if the game is going long, or use Fizzle to shuffle another copy into your deck. Meanwhile once Brann or Bomboss get's down, that's it. They have double battlecries for the rest of the game, and you have TNT in your deck that will eventually blow up your board, hand or deck. You have to Dirty Rat them out early or that's it. I'm sorta surprised there isn't a steamcleaner equivalent in the game at present to deal with the T.N.T. Maybe they still want to give Plagues and Bombs a chance.

The only other class that has an endgame wincon that uncounterable at the moment is Warlock with Wheel of Death. Though that deck got gutted with the changes to Reno.

The only other way to beat them is a strong midgame that that'll just run them over before they even get a chance to Bomboss/Bran/Reno. But those decks are just getting choked out by the insane aggro of Paladin and Warlock at present so its lose/lose all around.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing Highlander Warrior has other over decks is there isn't really ways to counter it's endgame wincons once they are down. Rheastraza's Dragon Nest and Sargeras Nether Portals? Reno can remove them on play, so you either have to play them after Reno if the game is going long, or use Fizzle to shuffle another copy into your deck. Meanwhile once Brann or Bomboss get's down, that's it. They have double battlecries for the rest of the game, and you have TNT in your deck that will eventually blow up your board, hand or deck. You have to Dirty Rat them out early or that's it. I'm sorta surprised there isn't a steamcleaner equivalent in the game at present to deal with the T.N.T. Maybe they still want to give Plagues and Bombs a chance.

The only other class that has an endgame wincon that uncounterable at the moment is Warlock with Wheel of Death. Though that deck got gutted with the changes to Reno.

The only other way to beat them is a strong midgame that that'll just run them over before they even get a chance to Bomboss/Bran/Reno. But those decks are just getting choked out by the insane aggro of Paladin and Warlock at present so its lose/lose all around.
Well they're nerfing paladin, warlock, and priest again lol, so I guess we'll see what effect that has on warrior and the overall meta. Maybe I'll finally be able to get handbuff DK to work.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Wow, the actually changed quests... now some of them are even better than they were before. Like: Play 10 games of ranked which could even be better than win 5 games.

Did not expect this.

Those are insanely better. Was struggling to hit the win 10 games of Arena, Battlegrounds, Tavern Brawl quest last week (was having horrible luck and not much time to play in BG's and Arena). Them changing those to Play quests as well as in some cases dropping the number of games are so much easier

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent change on the quests. What an unnecessary fuckup in the first place though.

I had 18 Thirsty Drifters and a golden Showdown lol. Easy 3200 dust.

I like most of the BG changes, besides the Pokey change. RIP Quills.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Been playing this since I don't enjoy the current Yugioh meta and the Rarran collabs gave me the itch , for context I only played HS casually during launch (mostly arena) and during Mean Streets (playing some dog water White Eyes deck).

I've been having fun (mostly) but I see that they've only quintupled into the aspect of the game that I despised which is random card generation.

I went with the Rouge starter (made Excavate Rouge) purely because I got Sonya (also got zilliax which was nice) from the legendary thing from the pass and what better way to relearn the game than by spamming shadowstep on Velarok and the Azerite scorpion while playing potentially every card in the game.

Hearthstone's biggest strength remains it's simplicity, I probably don't even have 20 hours of play time since I came back and I'm already at Diamond 7 (and currently at a 15 win streak) piloting a decently complex deck relative to most decks in Ranked imo.

That said the power creep is insane, it feels like most matches you're playing around your opponent and whoever gets their game plan going first wins because every one has these insane combos that'll win you the game on the spot.

Sometimes it feels worse than Yugioh, not in the same way but in it's own brand of annoying.

That aside I've been enjoying my deck but I feel like I shoulda gone with Warrior just for the more control play style that is usually my jam, If I had pulled more legendaries for it I would've.

Plus having a better match up against the stupid face Warlock and the face Mage deck would be a blessing, both those decks are so boring and annoying to play against.

That said I'm F2P rn since Idk how much I plan on playing this so I'm probably not getting another competive deck for a minute.

Oh and Arena feels horrible, really highlights how much random card generation their is now.

Apologies for the wall of text but I wanted to get my thoughts out there.