riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't think I've ever seen an open carry person ever. I remember those idiots who thought that showing up with their guns at Green Lake a few years would be a good idea, but that's it.
Yeah never seen it in person; but any time there is a new gun control bill they show up in Olympia with their guns... because, that sort of behavior is totally not meant to intimidate, and totally doesn't make them seem like they need more control lol.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Charge him with terrorism.

They charged him with Making a terrorist threat, first degree, a class D felony.

Don't see the charges sticking, the state is open carry and walmart allows it also... The timing is awful but sadly he probably did nothing illegal?
As far as the charges holding up, isn't the law that if you cause a mass panic that you should be punished? Dude knew exactly what he was doing pulling this stunt at a Walmart a week after a mass killing. Lock him up.
In Missouri, the law is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Missouri

Again, nothing in the law about the recency of a previous shooting.
I don't see how this sticks unless he actually made threats to people.
I didn't read the whole thread, so this point might have already been made.

Obviously, I think his point was to cause panic and get on the news. But MO is an open carry state, right? So as long as he wasn't acting threatening, he was within the law to open carry a firearm in a public place. If anything, he might have a case against the off-duty firefighter for wrongful detainment?

The scary thing is, MO is also a "stand your ground" state. So if the open carry guy thought that the firefighter represented life-threatening harm (which, by drawing a gun and threatening to shoot, could probably be argued), would the open carry guy be justified in using deadly force to protect himself? What if a "good guy with a gun" had decided to take out the "shooter," and opened fire in a crowded Walmart?

This shit is nuts.

Here's the relevant law and why the timing and location is important.

574.115. Making a terrorist threat, first degree — penalty. — 1. A person commits the offense of making a terrorist threat in the first degree if such person, with the purpose of frightening ten or more people or causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure of any portion of a building, inhabitable structure, place of assembly or facility of transportation, knowingly:

(1) Communicates an express or implied threat to cause an incident or condition involving danger to life; or

(2) Communicates a false report of an incident or condition involving danger to life; or

(3) Causes a false belief or fear that an incident has occurred or that a condition exists involving danger to life.

2. The offense of making a terrorist threat in the first degree is a class D felony.

3. No offense is committed under this section by a person acting in good faith with the purpose to prevent harm.

Note "(3) Causes a false belief or fear that an incident has occurred or that a condition exists involving danger to life." Being an open carry state doesn't trump the fact that there was a major shooting at a Walmart less than a week ago, he walked into a Walmart loaded with ammo and a gun and a armored vest, and we have no information about what he was saying while in the store.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They charged him with Making a terrorist threat, first degree, a class D felony.

Here's the relevant law and why the timing and location is important.

Note "(3) Causes a false belief or fear that an incident has occurred or that a condition exists involving danger to life." Being an open carry state doesn't trump the fact that there was a major shooting at a Walmart less than a week ago, he walked into a Walmart loaded with ammo and a gun and a armored vest, and we have no information about what he was saying while in the store.
Being an open carry state makes that incompatible. The open carry statue directly addresses threats too and I'm not sure how it can't be relevant. If he didn't satisfy that threat, then I'm not sure how he can satisfy this one (unless he was making threats or pointing the gun at people). There are thousands of Walmarts and ultimately the Walmart the mass shooting happened in was nowhere near Missouri. Additionally, shootings happen every single day, pretty much everywhere including places of business.

Missouri law writes pretty clearly that merely open carrying does not constitute a threat or a "condition involving danger to life"- the person also has to be acting in an angry or threatening manner to violate that. Otherwise anyone could freak out over someone open carrying anytime, rendering the law useless. Which likely was not the intent when the GOP fought tooth an nail to pass such a broad and idiotic open carry law.

Either way, the video will likely make things clear pretty quickly. I am willing to bet the prosecution is begging the defense for a plea so they won't have to risk losing at trial. Or worse for them, a judge just throws it out.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
LOL, yep. They're hurting themselves.

I agree that calling the police on all of them is the way to go now.
It really doesn't matter what happens, it'll be spin to be a positive no matter what. In this case it was a good guy with a gun who stopped a dude walking around with a gun that the same people would argue he's in his right to walk around with if he wants to.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)

They haven't. They booked him on suspicion of it, but no formal charges have been filed. He'll likely be released in less than 72 hours because Missouri has dumbass open-carry laws and he was within his right.

Officers booked Dmitriy N. Andreychenko, 20, on suspicion of first-degree making a terroristic threat. Greene County Prosecutor Dan Patterson has yet to file formal charges in the case.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
It really doesn't matter what happens, it'll be spin to be a positive no matter what. In this case it was a good guy with a gun who stopped a dude walking around with a gun that the same people would argue he's in his right to walk around with if he wants to.

And to address that spin, 1 out of every 292 mass shooting stopped is a seriously terrible return.

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, Im just shocked that "Stand Your Ground" laws and open carry haven't lead to more accidental shootings. You could easily construe someone walking around your neighborhood with a gun as a threat.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
sounds like an attention seeking idiot. lock him up.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen an open carry person ever. I remember those idiots who thought that showing up with their guns at Green Lake a few years would be a good idea, but that's it.
Not even people with a holstered pistol? I see that now and again, but it's still quite rare. I don't even want to know how many people do concealed carry though.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

ABC News @ABC

NEW: Suspect who walked into a Missouri Walmart with a rifle and wearing body armor to be charged with making a terrorist threat in the second degree, the Greene County Prosecuting Attorney announced. He is being held in Greene County Jail on $10,000 bond. https://abcn.ws/2yQlIOM

5:14 PM - Aug 9, 2019

This seems like something 2nd amendment attorneys and gun nuts will rally behind.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Conservative twitter is lighting up about how a good guy with a gun stopped a mass shooting, but if this guy was just taking video maybe the good guy with a gun is actually a bad guy violating someone's (stupid) right to open carry.
Well look at that: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49303879

Unless he was pointing his gun at people or making threats, I don't see how he was violating the law. His behavior should be illegal but that would require changing the stupid open carry laws.