Status
Not open for further replies.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
I was on the side of "it's just a sign in for an account you can make in five minutes, who cares"

Removing people's ability to play just because they aren't on your country list is an entirely different story. Hope those people can get their money back or a way back in.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Publishers are going to line up if Arrowhead pitches a new project lol

Joseph Fares also talks a lot and this didn't stop EA from funding 3 games from Hazelight.
Yeah if Sony is stupid enough to burn bridges with AH over this i would assume AH can just pick whoever they want to work with next maybe even get some funding and self publish.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I think this situation is being really overblown, given the numerous examples of precedent setting over the years from other publishers.

PlayStation game asks for a PlayStation sign in, news at 11.

The unsupported countries thing is the real headline to me.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I didn't know you were the one bankrolling the development of this game.

The game blew the fuck up. AH and Sony was expecting 250k to 500k concurrent players max when it launched and it got a million+.
If any little thing could help stablize the game the developers were going to do it. You just don't let success run away from you like that.
Unless of course ya Sony and decided the good vibes weren't worth it over the numbers.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I think this situation is being really overblown, given the numerous examples of precedent setting over the years from other publishers.

PlayStation game asks for a PlayStation sign in, news at 11.

The unsupported countries thing is the real headline to me.
Yes, that's right, the unsupported countries thing and it being delisted in those countries is literally the title and topic of this thread.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Says who? Where did you get this information? Would you mind sharing please. That would change everything

go back to my previous post then.
How can Arrowhead FORCE Sony to not enforce PSN linking at the start.
But is powerless to STOP Sony from enforcing PSN linking now?

When Arrowhead has a BETTER negotiating position from all this success?

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Fair, fair, but what I meant is that those systems are fairly common and have existed for a while. So I'm not quite sure how we got here is my point. That folks wanna avoid them isn't weird, that it caused this mess is however very weird. I feel like the discourse around this and Sony's own answer/actions have been.... unreasonably strong for no real reason.

Combination of big smash hit and Sony's first big GAAS hit. Huge magnifying glass, which has mainly been highlighting glowing reception until this.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I think they can still backtrack and make PSN linking optional and all this will be hoopla forgotten in a week.

(And maybe restoring the game on our stores and officially allowing linking of accounts regardless of region? I mean, I already did it and it was a matter of changing the website's country preference)

Just give incentive to linking and be done with it. It's not worth all the drama.

Just continue putting out great content that people enjoy. And also maybe put the game on sale to up those numbers again lol

Seriously though, its starting to feel like an overblown issue over people not wanting to make an account. I mean I get it, I lamented doing it for 5 minutes for so many other publishers, but man, seeing people using it as fuel for not wanting an account but not really caring about those that are actually affected, how few we may be, is kinda weird.

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
The game blew the fuck up. AH and Sony was expecting 250k to 500k concurrent players max when it launched and it got a million+.
If any little thing could help stablize the game the developers were going to do it. You just don't let success run away from you like that.
Unless of course ya Sony and decided the good vibes weren't worth it over the numbers.
First, as I said many times already, we don't know in what way this affected the functionality of the game, if at all. For instance, this could have been disabled to streamline the debugging of their backend. We just don't know.
Second, if you know that this is a requirement of your publisher, you treat it as essential for the functionality of your product and if you want to disable it, you communicate with them and if and only if you receive their confirmation, you proceed to disable it.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It wasn't mandatory to link your account.
Like it isn't mandatory to use a real country to make a PSN account.

People who don't buy games because of account linking could be forgiven to think that this would continue because (as people point out a hundredfold) they didn't enforce their TOS for 2 freaking decades. So it can be excused that people thought they wouldn't enforce their account linking thingie.

All those people who normally wouldn't buy games that force account linking, or people from unsupported regions wouldn't have bought the game in the first place if the account linking was enforced from day 1.
But they did.
And now it changed.
THAT'S why this is blowing up more than other examples where the account linking was from day 1.

It was required at launch. I had to do it to play the game on PC. Then the servers went kaput (causing the infamous stuck queue) and Sony/Arrowhead make the link screen skippable to help the servers.

Partridge

Dec 8, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I really don't understand people who continue to defend Sony by saying "this is not a big deal, just make the account," and, "other companies require a separate login," and 'the startup screen did say this was eventually going to be required." It's a moot point in my opinion. The game worked before without this login; and now it is required and is causing for some players.

That objectively sucks. There is no benefit being offered the players besides some vague wording about how it will stop cheating and will allow some people to appeal bans. A PSN account should not be required for those features.

Additionally, the only reason this seems to have been implemented is to get Sony's monthly-active-users (MAUs) for their investors. I don't give a shit about that, and I hope others don't care either. Please don't defend companies enshittifying products because your identity is tied up in the console war.

I really don't get the mentality that some people in this thread have that want to defend Sony so badly. Especially when they created this mess themselves by not enforcing the policy from the get go. At least give users some kind of tangible benefit beyond features that should be standard for this kind of game.

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
go back to my previous post then.
How can Arrowhead FORCE Sony to not enforce PSN linking at the start.
But is powerless to STOP Sony from enforcing PSN linking now?

When Arrowhead has a BETTER negotiating position from all this success?
Let's change the order.
How can Sony force Arrowhead to re/enable the functionality? Do they invade their studio? First they would communicate and come to an agreement, and that takes time.

Edit: First they came to an agremeent that PSN would be at launch, which it was; then AH proceeded unilaterally to disable PSN shortly after and now, after talking with Sony, AH is going to reenable PSN. Not that hard to follow.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think it is Arrowhead who is forcing PSN account link. Sony might have given them time to get the house in order but account link feels like a publisher thing, same as choosing where you sell the game.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Absolutely mind-blowing that Sony finally gets a megaton GaaS game, that's also big on PC — two things they've been chasing for a long time, in a single package — and then they do this. Even if they completely walk it back next week, it's unlikely that a significant amount of the 175,000+ negative Steam reviews will.

What a mess. A completely needless one at that.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Why does "it worked before" matter? Of course it worked before. Do you think all the other logins for other games are required to make those games work?

Companies use them for tracking players, which means statistics for them, and it means things like cross saves, cross play, and cross friends for us.

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think it is Arrowhead who is forcing PSN account link. Sony might have given them time to get the house in order but account link feels like a publisher thing, same as choosing where you sell the game.
Of course it's Sony forcing to reenable PSN. The issue is that PSN should have been present and obligatory since the beginning but AH fucked up and now we're in this mess.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
But it's *clearly* not the only thing being discussed in this thread.
it's pretty obvious much of the pushback is from people who are opposed to account linking on principle and the region stuff is a thing they're seizing on to say linking bad. It's not like the only people complaining are in affected regions. If tomorrow they rolled out a different version in PSN-less countries that didn't require linking, but still enforced it in the rest of the world, people would still be pissed.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It was required at launch. I had to do it to play the game on PC. Then the servers went kaput (causing the infamous stuck queue) and Sony/Arrowhead make the link screen skippable to help the servers.

Like it is mandated to only create accounts from the country you are living in? Because Sony doesn't enforce it because they hadn't yet expanded to the specific country?
Sometrhing that people tell us here all the time is not a big deal because Sony isn't enforcing it for 2 decades?

So, maybe players can be excused thinking this "mandatory but not enforced" account linking would also hold for 2 decades?

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
I was on the side of "it's just a sign in for an account you can make in five minutes, who cares"

Removing people's ability to play just because they aren't on your country list is an entirely different story. Hope those people can get their money back or a way back in.

Yeah at first I was definitely in the "oh who cares, just make the fucking account" side of things, but I REALLY underestimated how far Sony was willing to take this. Good lord.

sha1ashaska22

Sep 4, 2020
When you see people who already have PSN accounts refusing to link it for this game, it really makes the whole thing seem extra absurd. This account linking shit is breaking brains on both sides.

Super curious how many will stick to their principles. As more and more games require this, are people going to write off untold amounts of future games because they don't want to type in a password? I just don't see it, and I think publishers know if they create good games, most people will just accept it.

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Like it is mandated to only create accounts from the country you are living in? Because Sony doesn't enforce it because they hadn't yet expanded to the specific country?
Sometrhing that people tell us here all the time is not a big deal because Sony isn't enforcing it for 2 decades?

So, maybe players can be excused thinking this "mandatory but not enforced" account linking would also hold for 2 decades?

I don't understand, I was just replying to you saying it wasn't mandatory to link a PSN account day 1 with HD2 except it was. I couldn't get past the splash screen. I already had an account so I didn't even think about it.

The whole PSN region thing, I know that's been a big issue for years.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the people who live in regions that can't play the game anymore due to PSN, this seems a lot like "bitch eating crackers." I still cannot understand why this 3rd party account is so different than all the other 3rd party accounts required to play different games on Steam. There's not even a standalone launcher.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
First, as I said many times already, we don't know in what way this affected the functionality of the game, if at all. For instance, this could have been disabled to streamline the debugging of their backend. We just don't know.
Second, if you know that this is a requirement of your publisher, you treat it as essential for the functionality of your product and if you want to disable it, you communicate with them and if and only if you receive their confirmation, you proceed to disable it.

What? We do know how it affected the game. They were talking about it on the official discord server. Hell one thing they told PC users who had their PSN accounts linked was to disable cross-play with PS5 due to server issues and messing with PC quickplay.
I cannot pull up screen caps since they changed the discord around when they had bug reports and whatnot.
They were pretty clear on the official discord.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I don't understand, I was just replying to you saying it wasn't mandatory to link a PSN account day 1 with HD2 except it was. I couldn't get past the splash screen. I already had an account so I didn't even think about it.

The whole PSN region thing, I know that's been a big issue for years.
people are saying they could click the skip button from day 1. So it wasn't required.

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
people are saying they could click the skip button from day 1. So it wasn't required.

Weird, I didn't have a skip button. Of course I ended up locked out of my account after linking for a security reason that I had to contact Sony support for, so I'm not the best example here.

Didn't mean to sound antagonistic or anything! Seems I had a one-off experience.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Publishers are going to line up if Arrowhead pitches a new project lol

Joseph Fares also talks a lot and this didn't stop EA from funding 3 games from Hazelight.

Right lmaoooo, what's next? Saying Larian is in trouble because they shit talked publishers? The corpo pandering in this thread smh.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the people who live in regions that can't play the game anymore due to PSN, this seems a lot like "bitch eating crackers." I still cannot understand why this 3rd party account is so different than all the other 3rd party accounts required to play different games on Steam. There's not even a standalone launcher.

It's not that different.

Most games that have introduced a launcher after a game is already out, like the recent 2K launcher, have normally received a bunch of negative reviews in return and I think that's a fair and expected thing.

Sony's poor communication, not being prepared for the multiple unsupported PSN regions and the extreme measure of delisting for all the affected countries, has escalated this to a wild level.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
this implies that PC gamers don't get annoyed and whine about other account linking - because they do

why do I have to sign in with my MS account to play FH4 on steam, but it can't sync my save data from the same account??? this has turned me off from buying MS games on steam for the most part, even if it's "just a sign in".

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
It's not that different.

Most games that have introduced a launcher after a game is already out, like the recent 2K launcher, have normally received a bunch of negative reviews in return and I think that's a fair and expected thing.

Sony's poor communication, not being prepared for the multiple unsupported PSN regions and the extreme measure of delisting for all the affected countries, has escalated this to a wild level.
Well it's different because Uplay, EA app, 2k launcher are available pretty much everywhere and you are not left out because you can't create an account.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I genuinely think a lot of people just aren't aware that you can create a PSN account in say, USA and it'll just work and not have any issue.

The people I've come across IRL who are aware of this are people who already have PSN accounts because they have owned Playstation consoles in the past. Those I know who only play on PC have no idea about any of this or how it works. They're greeted with this and don't see their country and to them, there's no other option.

8rFVQqi.png

Hell, even clicking United States from here doesn't even take you to a 'create an account' page - you just get the regular Playstation website. You have to click Sign In and then hit the create an account button. There is no onboarding whatsoever from the link provided.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017

I've seen other people claiming that they didn't have the skip button as Rowsdower is saying, so who are we believing?

But whatever, even in the time that the requirement was temporarily disabled, the setup screen had this text:

"Linking your Steam account to a Playstation Network account is required for playing the game"

Maybe I need to improve my English reading comprehension, but the text is literally saying that the linking is required. It doesn't matter that for the moment you could skip this step, the requirement is still there and everybody could read that. That's not sony's fault.

Sony's fault is selling the game to not supported countries and all the messing is doing with this matter right now. They need to solve this shitty situation for all the people that will lose access to the game, that's a fact I think.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely think a lot of people just aren't aware that you can create a PSN account in say, USA and it'll just work and not have any issue.

The people I've come across IRL who are aware of this are people who already have PSN accounts because they have owned Playstation consoles in the past. Those I know who only play on PC have no idea about any of this or how it works. They're greeted with this and don't see their country and to them, there's no other option.

8rFVQqi.png

Hell, even clicking United States from here doesn't even take you to a 'create an account' page - you just get the regular Playstation website. You have to click Sign In and then hit the create an account button. There is no onboarding whatsoever from the link provided.
^ That is a list not of full PSN stores, but also of countries that have localized PlayStation website.

My country of Serbia only has the localized website [which was added recently], but everything related to accounts and game purchases is handled via UK PSN. Everyone in my country uses UK or US PSN accounts.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Someones gonna come and make a replacement

I can already see a Fortnite spinoff lol

Cant believe sony butchered this relationship, AH falling out of line and encouraging the refunds must make Sony real mad

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Prediction: Tomorrow Sony will backtrack and post a .jpg of an apology with the helldivers logo at the top, and then a lot of people in this thread will say "see? it wasn't such a big deal, you didn't have to whine so much" despite said "whining" being what provoked the backtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.