Status
Not open for further replies.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1787236790211879269

Other Arrowhead games and Sony games are starting to get review bombed too.

Not to a big extent yet, but you can see the recent reviews on Horizon: Forbidden West for instance are negative with messages about the PSN/Helldivers stuff.

tornado-twister.gif

They oughta leave PR to the PR people

Res

Oct 25, 2017
0xoFfkn.png

This is such an own-goal, and for what?
Congrats sony

Not to a big extent yet, but you can see the recent reviews on Horizon: Forbidden West for instance are negative with messages about the PSN/Helldivers stuff.

I don't think it is a good idea for him to post this

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
It was a requirement added 6 months before launch, how is that a "requirement from the start"?
To be fair, as a dev (not game dev), that sounds both like a perfectly reasonable request from a publisher to make as well as a perfectly reasonable timeframe to implement it in.
In principle, there is nothing weird or wrong in how Sony requested it.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017

Damn, it's a wrap for Tsushima
Instead of simply giving an exception for those in regions psn isn't available in, Sony about to say this pc headache ain't worth it anymore if their other games get review bombed too and don't sell. Those ports about to dry up.

I'm only half joking. I doubt that would happen.

But hey, AH CEO and staff. Stop giving disgruntled gamers ideas lol

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
If the only lesson Sony takes here is that this is just about the account linking and how it was done, and doesn't think about how they had 0 communications throughout the weekend to diffuse the situation, this will happen to them again, and again, and again but with different controversies.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Instead of simply giving an exception for those in regions psn isn't available in, Sony about to say this pc headache ain't worth it anymore if their other games get review bombed too and don't sell. Those ports about to dry up.

I'm only half joking. I doubt that would happen.

But hey, AH CEO and staff. Stop giving disgruntled gamers ideas lol

Sony going to go "the hell with this" to Steam and make their own launcher; thus the circle is complete.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
To be fair, as a dev (not game dev), that sounds both like a perfectly reasonable request from a publisher to make as well as a perfectly reasonable timeframe to implement it in.
In principle, there is nothing weird or wrong in how Sony requested it.
PSN was introduced 17 years ago. What's the reasonable timeframe for making it a global, universal system that's not full of warts?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Doesn't steam has a system in place, deleting or hiding all negative reviews if there are part of review bombing? Basically having a banner "in this timeframe there have been a lot of negative reviews due to a controversal change in the game" and not include these ratings in the overall rating of the game? I thought I saw instances like that before with other games.

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
PSN was introduced 17 years ago. What's the reasonable timeframe for making it a global, universal system that's not full of warts?

And also important: that doesn't crash with an influx of new users. So far the only perceived benefit of linking a PSN account is not being able to play at launch because the PSN servers were toast, while knowing that the game works perfectly fine without it.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of user reviews? Seems like most of the time it's never about if the game is actually good but instead it's there to air out grievances that have nothing to do with gameplay.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of user reviews? Seems like most of the time it's never about if the game is actually good but instead it's there to air out grievances that have nothing to do with gameplay.
In some cases, sure. But Steam reviews have been very effective for me over the years. Excellent reviews have pushed me over the edge many times and I've even purchased a few lesser known games based entirely on the reviews. It's rare that they steer me wrong.

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
Sure. I agree. PSN is a deeply flawed network, in many ways crappy, but that wasn't his reason to do it nor his call to make nor what you said in the post I responded to.
PSN was properly implemented at launch. Then it wasn't.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Im gonna be honest,
I really don't think Sony gives two shits about the review bombing on steam if the game still sells and has a decent player count they are probably more than happy.
This game did way better than they expected and even if they lose to some refunds the amount will be insignificant compared to the huge mass who aren't.
It's the sad reality.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Im gonna be honest,
I really don't think Sony gives two shits about the review bombing on steam if the game still sells and has a decent player count they are probably more than happy.
This game did way better than they expected and even if they lose to some refunds the amount will be insignificant compared to the huge mass who aren't.
It's the sad reality.
Sure, but it was easy to imagine how gigantic a Helldivers 3 could have been. Who knows now? It may not even be developed by Arrowhead Games at this point. This debacle is not worth it for Sony, at all.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Doesn't steam has a system in place, deleting or hiding all negative reviews if there are part of review bombing? Basically having a banner "in this timeframe there have been a lot of negative reviews due to a controversal change in the game" and not include these ratings in the overall rating of the game? I thought I saw instances like that before with other games.
They do, but it's rather unclear how it functions. They call it "off topic reviews" and it's certainly up for debate whether this ordeal is "off-topic" or not.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
As stupid as this move by Sony both by demanding a sign-up in the first place and by the fact they have yet to expand their PSN availability...

I wish the people who have made a huge deal out of this whole thing, despite the fact that separate log-ins are pretty widespread for a lot of MP games, would've put half the energy into issues that really matter. Like intrusive and performance-affecting DRM or hardware prices.

We could be living in a world where lower midrange GPUs don't cost $600, and publishers don't just randomly drop a patch that adds Denuvo, but alas we're living in this one.

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
Weird to go "Steam reviews are worthless" when there is a thread on ERA every time a game gets review bombed.

You might not look at them but they are definitely not worthless.

Even outside of review bombing, Steam reviews are the best way to gauge a game's current state. Especially for MP/GaaS games. Content dried up? Cheaters running rampant? Last updated fucked up stability? Matchmaking broken? etc etc etc....Steam reviews sorted by recency is easily the best tell of a game's current state. A LOT of people look at that before getting into a game.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Im gonna be honest,
It's the sad reality.
Game absolutely nosedived down the global sellers chart on Steam this weekend. It's the same PC social dynamics that helped the game blow up in the first place, they'll feel them.

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
And also important: that doesn't crash with an influx of new users. So far the only perceived benefit of linking a PSN account is not being able to play at launch because the PSN servers were toast, while knowing that the game works perfectly fine without it.
Let's use some basic logic here: PSN handles millions of users, maybe even more than 10 million users, every single day, do you honestly believe that an extra 500 thousand people trying to connect at some point would case PSN to fail? Were there general PSN failures during the apex of popularity during launch?

I have seen a lot of people say that ad nauseam but not a single proof beyond "they were having backend issues and they took out". Not even that, as, if I understood it correctly, it was always possible to link a PSN account, they just put a SKIP button.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Steam reviews also serve as a tool when a game is super buggy, broken, or badly optimized. If people see the negative reviews and read the comments they can be saved the money and can wait until they're fixed.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Steam reviews are next to worthless when I'm buying a game.

I find them to be the most useful in games at least, thanks to the tooling you get from Steam to actually determine what is most likely to be true.

By it's very nature, if you look at an aggregate score, you won't get a full picture, and there are niches where scoring will always bias positive because of people eager to have the thing where they wanted it and dismissing core issues with the game (see many "anime" themed games in a variety of niches). This is relatively easy to figure out just by reading the reviews and seeing the context.
However, with recent and all reviews sections, the histogram of activity from the game, language filtering, steam vs key purchase filtering, account activity, hours played filters, community, news, and changelogs etc, you can get a really good idea of player sentiment and types of issues if there is a good enough cohort.
It's super easy in a matter of minutes to have a little dig and determine what is a rational review and what isn't, and how similar the trends are between reviews.

For Helldivers itself, you can tell pretty easily that a mass influx of negative reviews have come in, and you can easily tear into why. Whether it is relevant or not to you, is up to you alone.

Gamers are embarassing.

Absolutely nothing new. Toxic, at least for the louder crowd (which is guess mostly social media).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

View: https://x.com/CodeToshii/status/1786863603498553762

This whole situation is crazy. I've never seen devs encourage review bombing of their own game.

Lol, this tweet pretty much encapsulates the kind of people behind this "controversy" and why Sony shouldn't have paid attention to them at all and only focused on working towards those affected by non living in a region by PSN. Clown behavior all over the place, delisting the game and issuing refunds to people who have been playing for dozens and dozens of hours is a huge own goal. But hey, they did it to themselves so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.