Status
Not open for further replies.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
This is my opinion personally, but I think once you get money and fame you start to gravitate towards others that has that. He has it and he is nice to her. So you tend to buddy up with people like that and ignore some stuff that are "problematic" to others. She likes to say about him "oh he is such a nice guy"
Yeah this is exactly what it is

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
I could see them do that, given that you actually break their TOS (even though they never really enforced it, but still), and it probably not having a big impact on them financially, since the PSN is available on large parts of the globe. And where it isn't, some probably still have an account anyway and wouldn't request a refund.

Here is a map where the PSN is available:

Z2mQtIe.png

So yeah, full refunds for the people in the areas where the PSN isn't available, most prominently Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia, should be an option at least.
Continuing with the CEO and his awful PR performance so far: I swear I saw the CEO in one of the twitter posts someone posted here respond to and apologize to someone from the Philippines who was saying that there was no PSN support in their country. Lo and behold, it turns out that PSN does support the Philippines according to this map.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
I think it's weirder for people to cape for giant corporations, including ridiculing people for bringing attention to the negative effects of an anti-consumer change.

I hope this reaction pushes Sony to expand support to the countries that people can't make an account in without violating their TOS, risking losing their accounts and games.

I think is weirder to cry about something that was pretty clear in the store page of Steam, PSN account linking was always required in order to play helldivers, they only disabled this requirement temporarily. And I'm a PC player that is playing the game in Steam.

A lot of companies are doing this kind of requirement in Steam, EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft (even if you play their games in ps5), Rockstar, etc. It's nothing new in Steam PC gaming.

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
Shit like this is just engagement farming. There is no reason for anyone to actually freak out over this.

Almost every time I play on pc with someone on ps5, I have to remove them from my friends list and re add them with their generated code.

Even people in countries that don't have psn, are you really so obtuse to think that there won't be a solution for them from Sony/steam to continue playing?

People have been complaining for month about cross play issues and wanting cross save. How do they expect Sony to do that without some kind of account unification?

All these accounts on twitter that are throwing tantrums, and games journalist accounts that should know better, all are just adding fuel to a matchsticks worth of fire.

This is a less than 5 min issue that got bumped back from release because the servers were melting from so many people wanting in. They literally say this was a delayed requirement so that they could address issues with the game.

People need to get real with themselves. I had to set up a whole fucking Activision account so my dad could shoot guns in a gun range on call of duty. I had to make Microsoft accounts for my kids so we could continue playing Minecraft with each other when Microsoft bought them. I had to make a Ubisoft account for assassins creed and now have to log into it for every single Ubisoft game on earth.

Complaining about info not being safe with Sony is equally funny when all these other big companies have had similar or more data breeches, to the point that you can't even keep up with them, is also ridiculous.

Sony wants to report MAUs! Yeah of course they do. They funded one of the biggest games on the year and need the info for investors and future investment. Guess what? You're already an MAU.

Stop being babies.

And before the inevitable "shill" comments: I mostly play games on Xbox and pc. I'm just able to actually be rational and realist in how I look at things like this.
Calling people babies and following up with claiming you are rational about it, good one.

There are lots of business decisions that are rational, doesn´t mean people have to like them

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Can't really disagree with folks being annoyed with it.
They should have launched with it in there at least so people buying would know what to expect.
Not really sure if is true that PSN accounts won't function or be obtainable in some regions, but if so, even more reason what it's a terrible idea.
Since this isn't going into effect immediately, perhaps they'll have some other solution if there is enough commotion

RezziHD_

Apr 28, 2022
Welp, like I said I had heard good things about her on here, pretty sure I remember her being called 'wholesome' or something but that... doesn't sound so good.
Lmao, following on from this. I've just realised that she (Ironmouse) is yet another streamer who is saying they will no longer play Helldivers and yet just 3 days ago they were playing Stellar Blade with a PSN account... just lol.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Continuing with the CEO and his awful PR performance so far: I swear I saw the CEO in one of the twitter posts someone posted here respond to and apologize to someone from the Philippines who was saying that there was no PSN support in their country. Lo and behold, it turns out that PSN does support the Philippines according to this map.
Nah, actually my bad. Made this map based on this link, given that this is the source for the number on Wikipedia, but when you actually create an account, the selection is missing some countries on that list. Philippines is one of them.

Here is the correct map:
JOFkVpt.png

EDIT: Added Puerto Rico

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
A bit of an aside, but Sony really should be more flexible about the whole 'different country to your current country' thing, even if it's not something they currently enforce. People got to fucking move for jobs sometimes, like are we also then breaking the rules accessing our games from these accounts lol

It might sound like a ridiculous thing to complain about, but Amazon legit took all my digital content from me before cause I moved and changed my card and address. I wonder sometimes if Sony would also do that

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
A bit of an aside, but Sony really should be more flexible about the whole 'different country to your current country' thing, even if it's not something they currently enforce. People got to fucking move for jobs sometimes, like are we also then breaking the rules accessing our games from these accounts lol

It might sound like a ridiculous thing to complain about, but Amazon legit took all my digital content from me before cause I moved and changed my card and address. I wonder sometimes if Sony would also do that
You can still log on and keep whatever you bought on it, but IIRC it won't let you buy new games or DLC while in the new area since I recall there being past threads from people who moved across regions and found out about the limitations on it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't really disagree with folks being annoyed with it.
They should have launched with it in there at least so people buying would know what to expect.
Not really sure if is true that PSN accounts won't function or be obtainable in some regions, but if so, even more reason what it's a terrible idea.
Since this isn't going into effect immediately, perhaps they'll have some other solution if there is enough commotion
They did launch with it.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Why?
Outside of the minor 2 minute inconvenience it'll take to setup a psn account, is there more to this?
There isn't - like 99% of service games today do this on Steam (have a separate sign-in in addition to Steam), and it's been this way for at least 15 years.
Inconvenience aside - this is what you get if market actually allows for competition that people are always cheering for - so you know, it's supposed to be a good thing. And yes Valve could 'try' to prevent this of course but then that'd be an actual anti-competitive practice.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020

This has been an issue with the PSN for decades. After account creation, you can not change the region associated to it, ever.

Which is probably also a reason they don't enforce this rule at all.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Lmao, following on from this. I've just realised that she (Ironmouse) is yet another streamer who is saying they will no longer play Helldivers and yet just 3 days ago they were playing Stellar Blade with a PSN account... just lol.
If she already has an account why is she complaining about it? Oh I know it is about farming her fanbase for clicks and likes.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
I see alot of "Sony messed up" "Sony forcing" type narratives going around. If anything I feel like if shit was really going that well......this was an uneccessary blunder. Could have been avoided.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
This is like the biggest nothing burger.

Yeah having multiple accounts when you game on PC is annoying, but review bombing HD2 is dumb.

This is a thing pretty much anywhere gaming happens. You will sometimes need an account with the developer or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I love the people that say this was a Bait & switch, false advertising etc :

PC Feature trailer, January 9th = PSN required, 5 seconds into the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4b55Qdq3Rs)

January 30th post on Steam about Warbonds: PSN account required.(https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/553850/view/3964924274929744964?l=english)

Jan 23rd Steam Post, PSN required (https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/553850/view/3948035142434652631?l=english)

Jan 9th Steam Post, PSN required. (https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/553850/view/3906374309655891718?l=english)
Yup. Sorry bout it lmao. This is just another case of Gamers Can't Read

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
As a mandatory requirement I mean?
I don't think it was, which is what this is about I think
Yes. It was disabled rather quickly afterwards in an attempt to lessen server load at launch. Day 1 PC players linked their accounts and moved on with life. Steam has always listed PSN linking as required.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Sony not allowing region switching doesn't get enough flak. It's the same with Square Enix/FFXIV accounts and it causes so many issues for people.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. It was disabled rather quickly in an attempt to lessen server load at launch. Day 1 PC players linked their accounts and moved on with life. Steam has always listed PSN linking as required.

Ah that's different to what I thought. In which case, other than any folks that potentially can't play or have some sort of false flag due to region (if any of that is accurate), I don't know entirely what the problem is.
Obviously data collection stuff is something I don't care for beyond anything super trivial and diagnostic. Anything more invasive, and especially super egregious anti-cheat software stuff would stop me buying.
As far as I'm aware, Steam Linking tells you what info they have access to and usually it's fairly light iirc

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, actually my bad. Made this map based on this link, given that this is the source for the number on Wikipedia, but when you actually create an account, the selection is missing some countries on that list. Philippines is one of them.

Here is the correct map:
ZZq14mA.png
Then I was also wrong in turn. Thanks for the correction.

The awful job the CEO is doing PR wise still stands.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Don't really buy the criticism of the CEO. When your customers are upset, acknowledging them and saying you'll do better in the future is the least you could do. Yeah he posts on Twitter a lot, but I also see high ranking people from Larian doing the same and handling criticism similarly.

Doesn't seem to be an obstacle to delivering the biggest games of 23/24, apparently.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
My co-worker argued with me about the psn account thing which just boiled down to just "I just don't wanna!" And he is very fixated on "sony did this to pump thier numbers!!!"

Oct 27, 2017
The true mistake here was for Sony not to make this mandatory from the get-go. Maybe there was a technology related reason for this. I suspect they always knew that adding this post launch was only going to be problematic, and still went ahead to avoid delaying the game (while they were still tweaking their farms of i286 servers lol).

Oct 25, 2017
My co-worker argued with me about the psn account thing which just boiled down to just "I just don't wanna!" And he is very fixated on "sony did this to pump thier numbers!!!"
Which is probably 100% true, the question is why do I really care? If you want to play the game, it is the smallest roadblock possible. It is a one time account link, it takes less than 2-3 minutes.

All this comes down to for the vast majority is PC gamers not wanting to have to interact with console icky things. It is so damned childish.

Randolo

May 3, 2023
The discord is unhinged, people talking about calling in bomb threats, and logging in just to grief and teamkill playstation players.

People are the worst man.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The true mistake here was for Sony not to make this mandatory from the get-go. Maybe there was a technology related reason for this. I suspect they always knew that adding this post launch was only going to be problematic, and still went ahead to avoid delaying the game (while they were still tweaking their farms of i286 servers lol).

It was mandatory from the get go. Then the unexpected success made it break so they quickly got rid of it to let people play.

Status
Not open for further replies.