Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The power of releasing day one on PC.
Crazy sales. I'd be curious to see the split between Steam and PS. I'm thinking maybe 7m PC to 5m on PS.
I think the data we have says like 60:40 PC to PS.

But even if it was 50:50 that's still 6m copies on PC. No exec is looking at that number and the declining numbers for 3 year old ports and thinking "let's continue doing that"

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
Fastest selling in terms of units, but Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok outperform in revenue due to the price difference.

However, we don't know how much Helldivers 2 has made in in-game purchases, which could change things.

Also, it is likely that it is the most profitable compared to them.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Wtf? that's wild. Sony struck gold with this one. It's gonna be interesting to see how much they will prioritize GAAS after this.

Parker

Feb 5, 2018
So crazy. It seems like PS's first "FAD" or buzzworthy streaming game (like Valheim, Content Warning, Lethal Company, Pal World).

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Maybe it's a bit of a special case when Helldivers IP is owned by Sony. There isn't really much Arrowhead can or will do without Sony. With how popular HD2 is they'll be locked into it for the foreseeable future. Not like that's a bad thing, but Sony owning them wouldn't change anything in this case.

Huh? Arrowhead is a very public facing studio, just like Larian. Any future project of theirs will have a huge community of fans moving along to try it the moment they release a trailer saying "from the creators of Helldivers", even if it's early access. Did you also believe there wouldn't be much Larian would be able to do without WotC and the Baldur's Gate? Because they went on to ditch the IP and will now focus on their own work without even looking back…

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
My pc can't run Helldivers 2 sadly. Would be great to see low spec game like Fat Princess being revived with PS-PC-xbox-mobile cross platform.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
Imagine how many of those millions of steam users they could have gotten to buy ps5 and plus if they'd kept it exclusive. Sony has to decide whether they wanna end up like Xbox or like Nintendo

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
Huh? Arrowhead is a very public facing studio, just like Larian. Any future project of theirs will have a huge community of fans moving along to try it the moment they release a trailer saying "from the creators of Helldivers", even if it's early access. Did you also believe there wouldn't be much Larian would be able to do without WotC and the Baldur's Gate? Because they went on to ditch the IP and will now focus on their own work without even looking back…
Kind of a dick move to abandon the people that made you successful if they do that. Sony helped them and promoted their game at every showcase

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly expect Sony to do more Day 1 PC releases on GAAS titles as they've already stated. But not expecting to be seeing single player blockbusters dropping day one for probably at least another 5 years, when the PS6 generation is underway. Helldivers 2 is one case, but Sony's bread and butter driving their profit and revenue is their platform, and the cut they're getting by selling their first party titles on there plus the revenue they're getting from the Playstation Store + Subs. Keeping some form of exclusivity is all about protecting the walled garden + userbase within it (I'm not stating this as a positive so much as it's a part of their business), not to convince PC only gamers to come to Playstation. If they're going day one PC on everything then they have to be sure that the number of sales they're getting on PC is offsetting the loss of console users, and there will certainly be a loss on that front.

How much is up to Sony to figure out but as soon as they start putting titles on there day 1, while I wouldn't expect a fall off like Xbox, there will certainly be large impacts that will not just impact the trajectory of their current situation, it will have permanent long lasting effects on their business. Some positive obviously, as we've seen with Helldivers, others negative. Sony would need to be prepared to potentially transition from being primarily a platform and being just as much a publisher. And they don't have the studios and pipeline currently to operate more primarily as a publisher considering the small number of releases they've had the past few years. So the question becomes how many console users are never going to PC, no matter what, and for the console users who would transition to PC with a move like this, were they the users who were spending hundreds of dollars annually or were they only buying a handful of exclusives.

These aren't decisions to be taken lightly and with a multi billion dollar business, it's not something I'd going all in on solely off Helldivers. Titles like Concord, Marathon, and more will be important to see. There's also several levers to pull here, whether it's shortening the window, more competitive pricing on PC, etc. This will help paint the picture of what they should ultimately do. And I'm sure development of PS6 is already underway so whatever they do can't short change their next console too much, where they get the ability to lock in however many users for X amount of years. Then there's just the current economic environment to consider. A part of Sony's issues are impacted by the current environment and their inability to cut hardware costs for example, or high interest rates. Is that a temporary thing as inflation remains sticky or the new normal? And then they have to consider how Nintendo's new console will impact things. In the past the Switch has been seen more as complimentary (sans Japan where it has eaten Playstation's lunch), but the Switch 2 could change things and shake that equation as well.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
More importantly look at the profit and revenue driver it has already proved to be.

Absolutely. And that's why we'll obviously see other Sony live service games on PC day one, but (some) execs and investors have to be looking at these numbers and asking "why aren't we putting all our games on PC day one?"

Maybe Sony doesn't do it with every game, but I can at least see them testing it out with one of their tentpole single-player titles.

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
I'll eat crow, when they were showing this game off last year I thought to myself "who gives a fuck about a sequel to Helldivers" (in my defense Sony did showcase this game in the worst way possible with the 7/8th gen fake voice chat), but now I imagine it has to be on pace to be the highest selling first party PS games ever. Crazy. And considering this launched day-and-date on PC and a majority of the sales were on PC I'd imagine this is convincing Sony to make this standard for their first party games, regardless if they're GAAS or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Imagine how many of those millions of steam users they could have gotten to buy ps5 and plus if they'd kept it exclusive. Sony has to decide whether they wanna end up like Xbox or like Nintendo

Lol. Game would have not sold that much more on PS5 if it launched exclusively. I'd argue it would have sold even worse because it's that much harder to get to a zeitgeist level success without PC

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
But the game would have been just as good. They need to commit like Nintendo to great games being exclusive. Imagine if Nintendo had given up on Splatoon and just released on PC. Less switch consoles
The game would never have blown up the way it did as an exclusive on PS5
The amount of word of mouth and meme creation would have been tiny in comparison

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Personally I think it would be a mistake for Sony to put all of the releases on PC day one. I wouldn't have bought a PS5, multiple controllers and dozens of games if Sony's first party titles were on PC.

But that's a top level decision. A decision that has to take shareholders in mind. I'm sure that shareholders want all of the money and right now. Which would mean PC on day one. But I think it puts Playstation in a worse position in the long term.

Whisu

May 19, 2021

PC is not just sales, it's also free marketing.
Without PC this game would have never been this successful.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Kind of a dick move to abandon the people that made you successful if they do that. Sony helped them and promoted their game at every showcase

They already paid them back handsomely by giving them their fastest selling title ever. Why would they be eternally indebted to this corporation? That's a silly concept. If they do want to stay with Sony that's wonderful, if they don't, then that's absolutely fine too. It's a group of people, not a cohort of corporate slaves.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
They already paid them back handsomely by giving them their fastest selling title ever. Why would they be eternally indebted to this corporation? That's a silly concept. If they do want to stay with Sony that's wonderful, if they don't, then that's absolutely fine too. It's a group of people, not a cohort of corporate slaves.
Because they helped them reach a new level of success just like housemarq, naughty dog, insomniac, etc even before being bought. No reason to abandon a symbiotic relationship or abandon someone who took a chance on you and helped you grow further than you ever could have alone

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Because they helped them reach a new level of success just like housemarq, naughty dog, insomniac, etc even before being bought. No reason to abandon a symbiotic relationship or abandon someone who took a chance on you and helped you grow further than you ever could have alone
And if Arrowhead's next game's sales were flat, how do you think Sony would treat them? Think they'd pat them on the back and give them a number of other chances? In this climate? Come on.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
it's interesting, but Sony's focus now should be on funneling back into Helldivers success, rather than infinitely producing more GAAS (not that the ones in development should cease or anything) but they only ever really needed one to hit, and well, they got it. I'm sure they want at least 1 gigantically successful PVP focused service title though.

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
Crazy to think at one point people completely wrote off Sony's live service push.

Is it a dick move or is it just business? They don't owe Sony loyalty forever, they presumably had some kind of time-limited deal.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
It's just an account integration. It's not like the whole game is built around something like that. It gets added at the end of dev anyway, and imo six months sounds reasonable enough that calling it interference sounds like a complete exaggeration. Doesn't mean it was handled well, because it clearly doesn't work atm like it needs to if Sony wants to do that.

What Arrowhead does next is Helldivers 2. There's not an inch of room for anything else. You think they'll just double in size with a snap of a finger and also want to change the publisher? How and why would they do that?

Many third parties work with Sony, but name one with a ten year partnership and the only relevant IP being owned by Sony? It's very different to every single third party partnership Sony has had where the developer hasn't also been acquired. It's been done for way less and Sony's first party output has been great for ages.

Arrowhead can remain independent, but independent or not, they 100% need the support when HD2 has become so big. It's already apparent that they're struggling with keeping up.
What? Six months out of launch out of years long dev isn't publisher overreach? Why are we so resistant to calling it what it is lol. You can call it "just account integration" all you want, clearly much of the community disagrees. Arrowhead is not just on Helldivers 2. The enetire studio is not on post launch support, they didn't do that for HD1 so why would they do that here? They're working on their next game. It's just very interesting to see someone twist themselves into knots to invent new rules as to why this acquisition is good and others are bad. If anyone is seriously anti consolidation, they would be against this as it's no different. Just becasue they developed two games back to back in the same owned IP doesn't mean that's all they're going to do. It's really sad to see you say that you don't think they can do anything without Sony when that's how they came into this world

Joo

May 25, 2018
Huh yourself. That's a flawed comparison.

BG3 isnt GaaS. It doesn't need Larian's support for years to come. Helldivers 2 will tie most of Arrowhead up for years.

In comparison Larian is massive to tackle different kinds of products. Arrowhead is rather small in their headcount in relation to how big Helldivers 2 has become, and it seems they're already struggling a bit to handle updates to Helldivers 2 at a steady pace. You also can't just instantly expand like crazy. It takes time and careful planning.

Larian has relevant IP of their own, Arrowhead doesn't. Larian can also pretty much just continue to the next Divinity, or at least to something like Divinity or BG3 and just refine their existing stuff to craft a new single player RPG, stuff they have experience on. You think Arrowhead will now start making another GaaS like Helldivers to compete against their own game, or draw an even wilder card, pivot to a completely different genre? Maybe they will years from here, but it's not like Helldivers 2 doesn't need constant support from them.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Huh yourself. That's a flawed comparison.

BG3 isnt GaaS. It doesn't need Larian's support for years to come. Helldivers 2 will tie most of Arrowhead up for years.

In comparison Larian is massive to tackle different kinds of products. Arrowhead is rather small in their headcount in relation to how big Helldivers 2 has become, and it seems they're already struggling a bit to handle updates to Helldivers 2 at a steady pace. You also can't just instantly expand like crazy. It takes time and careful planning.

Larian has relevant IP of their own, Arrowhead doesn't. Larian can also pretty much just continue to the next Divinity, or at least to something like Divinity or BG3 and just refine their existing stuff to craft a new single player RPG, stuff they have experience on. You think Arrowhead will now start making another GaaS like Helldivers to compete against their own game, or draw an even wilder card, pivot to a completely different genre? Maybe they will years from here, but it's not like Helldivers 2 doesn't need constant support from them.
Do you think literally every GaaS has 100 people on post launch support? I really don't know what to say

Joo

May 25, 2018
What? Six months out of launch out of years long dev isn't publisher overreach? Why are we so resistant to calling it what it is lol. You can call it "just account integration" all you want, clearly much of the community disagrees. Arrowhead is not just on Helldivers 2. The enetire studio is not on post launch support, they didn't do that for HD1 so why would they do that here? They're working on their next game. It's just very interesting to see someone twist themselves into knots to invent new rules as to why this acquisition is good and others are bad. If anyone is seriously anti consolidation, they would be against this as it's no different. Just becasue they developed two games back to back in the same owned IP doesn't mean that's all they're going to do. It's really sad to see you say that you don't think they can do anything without Sony when that's how they came into this world
Just let it go, my god. It's impossible for us to have a nice conversation that amounts to anything.

So, consolidation is bad. Arrowhead shouldn't be acquired. Happy now?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Just let it go, my god. It's impossible for us to have a nice conversation that amounts to anything.

So, consolidation is bad. Arrowhead shouldn't be acquired. Happy now?
I mean that's the only rational and consistent stance for someone who says they are anti acquisition. Idk what else there is to say

Joo

May 25, 2018
Do you think literally every GaaS has 100 people on post launch support? I really don't know what to say
Then please don't say anything. You don't even want to have the conversations really. You just want to shove your opinions down people's throats regardless of how anyone responds.
I mean that's the only rational and consistent stance for someone who says they are anti acquisition. Idk what else there is to say
Yeah yeah mr anti acquisition

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Then please don't say anything. You don't even want to have the conversations really. You just want to shove your opinions down people's throats regardless of how anyone responds.

Yeah yeah mr anti acquisition
You need to calm down. Why is it shoving my opinion down ppls throats when I do it but not when you? Look at what you're saying rn

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
Why do you care? Does it financially benefit you in some way? They're reaching to PC players because the console market has shrunken despite operating costs increasing exponentially
So game freak should have just said see ya to Nintendo after Pokemon? It's mutually beneficial and rewards console manufacturers for helping smaller devs over buying huge ip. Symbiotic growth vs IP gobbling

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine you're Arrowhead working away on this game for years. It gets shown at some events and there's interest but doesn't seem overly hyped. Get to release and boom all of a sudden you're created the best selling first party PS game EVER.

Feels like this game went from a decent addition to the PS catalogue to THE GAME overnight. Life changing stuff for the folks at that studio.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
So game freak should have just said see ya to Nintendo after Pokemon? It's mutually beneficial and rewards console manufacturers for helping smaller devs over buying huge ip. Symbiotic growth vs IP gobbling
Yes many devs break away from their publishing partner all the time. Are you new? So if a developer partners with a publisher for more than one game then they should just pretend like they got purchased?