Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hells_Kitchen_US_Season_22_Poster.jpg

The new season is out, let's discuss the current season in this thread! Seems like the focus is the American Dream, we will likely see the challenges themed around this. Most diverse cast so far I think as well.

Tag spoilers 24 hours after the episode airs

Last edited:

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
How long after airing should spoiler tags be used?

I won't use spoilers on what I'm about to mention unless it's requested and I'll edit.

I can't believe someone actually used box pasta and thought they were going to get away with it. But it wasn't even the worst signature dish. I always feel like some people don't practice or do their dish enough when they know they'll be coming there. I mean it won't get you booted to fuck up your signature dish but you'd think you'd at least want to make a good impression. The biscuit dish looked pretty bad. And serving salmon without the skin is obviously not a good idea either.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Hell's Kitchen is always an amazing show. The drama is fantastic. Gordon Ramsay's US TV ventures are always so out there and so unapologetically American it's always amazingly funny in addition to being entertaining.

I think Kitchen Nightmares is back, too. And I assume the god awful (in a good way) US Masterchef is still running.

Can't wait to watch this!

thats-why-hes-the-goat-the-goat.gif

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I think Kitchen Nightmares is back, too. And I assume the god awful (in a good way) US Masterchef is still running.
Yep! Kitchen Nightmares came back this past week as well. And MasterChef just finished a season not too long ago and is still running. I think the next time it comes back will be the JR version? But I'm not sure.

I'm not really sure lol, I'll just remove it. I haven't seen the whole episode yet, just the beginning 😅
Ah, sorry. I didn't mean to mess up any idea of what was to come in the episode. I assumed you saw the first one and made the thread. I didn't mean to make you remove it or anything either. Could be like 24 hours after first airing possibly? I can start tagging my spoilers from now on since I usually watch this live when it first airs.

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
vypek let's go with 24 hours, honestly I don't know the right amount of time but I think what you suggested is what I can recall from previous threads.

Anyway the bit about the box you mentioned was only a few minutes from where I paused lol.

The work, don't talk guy reminds me of Toby from The Office of all people.

Hell's Kitchen is always an amazing show. The drama is fantastic. Gordon Ramsay's US TV ventures are always so out there and so unapologetically American it's always amazingly funny in addition to being entertaining.

Can't wait to watch this!

thats-why-hes-the-goat-the-goat.gif
I'm actually watching HK right from the beginning, it's like night and day how Gordon has mellowed out. I'm at the first few episodes of season 2 right now and Gordon's absolutely brutal, one of the episodes is the maddest meltdown I've ever seen from him. Anyway the one-liners are aplenty, I guess I'll enjoy it until it lasts until the other, more competitive seasons take over.

PS: can't take Masterchef. That show makes me want to barf. Next Level Chef is great, Gordon hosts with Nyesha and Richard. Ah, I just learned it got cancelled. Shame.

Actually, scratch that, it was the original network that cancelled, NLC is getting seasons 3 and 4, hurray!

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I'm actually watching HK right from the beginning, it's like night and day how Gordon has mellowed out. I'm at the first few episodes of season 2 right now and Gordon's absolutely brutal, one of the episodes is the maddest meltdown I've ever seen from him. Anyway the one-liners are aplenty, I guess I'll enjoy it until it lasts until the other, more competitive seasons take over.

PS: can't take Masterchef. That show makes me want to barf. Next Level Chef is great, Gordon hosts with Nyesha and Richard. Ah, I just learned it got cancelled. Shame.

Actually, scratch that, it was the original network that cancelled, NLC is getting seasons 3 and 4, hurray!

Yeah in general the average quality of the chefs was better and better but they also did tune up the drama a lot over time before reducing it a bit in the later seasons. Haven't watched in a few years but there has been some seasons where some contestants were clearly kept because of the drama. Which is understandable considering it's a reality TV show but yeah.

There has been a lot of standouts over the years, and a fuck ton of funny moments.

The best moments to me are when Gordon goes beyond being mad and is just flabbergasted at the incompetence.

"Madam if you saute scalops in a non-stick pan, they won't stick ... That's why it's called FUCKING NON-STIIIIICK!"

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
@vypek let's go with 24 hours, honestly I don't know the right amount of time but I think what you suggested is what I can recall from previous threads.

Anyway the bit about the box you mentioned was only a few minutes from where I paused lol.

The work, don't talk guy reminds me of Toby from The Office of all people.
Cool, 24 hours sounds good. Lol @ the Toby comparison. I think that is fitting extremely fitting based on the attitude the team has towards him right now.

PS: can't take Masterchef. That show makes me want to barf.
What is it about MasterChef you dislike? The food quality? Show structure?

"Madam if you saute scalops in a non-stick pan, they won't stick ... That's why it's called FUCKING NON-STIIIIICK!"
LMAO I absolutely love moments like this. I'm already looking forward to a scene in one of the previews where Ramsay is asking someone what planet they are on and there is a response of "America!" and a dumbfounded moment.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS: can't take Masterchef. That show makes me want to barf.
Every season, I watch the first episode or two of Masterchef, when they're doing signature dishes to try to get an apron.
For some reason I always lose interest after that.

I love Hell's Kitchen though. Happy to see it back.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We started watching old HKs on Hulu a while back. They changed the theme song and it somehow made the shows nearly unwatchable for a bit :(

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is it about MasterChef you dislike? The food quality? Show structure?
I think it's the editing. It's feels like every 5 minutes some drama and something tear-jerking will happen. They overuse dramatic sounds. I'm like get to the food already lol.

Yeah in general the average quality of the chefs was better and better but they also did tune up the drama a lot over time before reducing it a bit in the later seasons. Haven't watched in a few years but there has been some seasons where some contestants were clearly kept because of the drama. Which is understandable considering it's a reality TV show but yeah.

There has been a lot of standouts over the years, and a fuck ton of funny moments.

The best moments to me are when Gordon goes beyond being mad and is just flabbergasted at the incompetence.

Yeah the drama because of it being a reality show was probably a product of its time, it's the same for Top Chef as well.

Oh I forgot what season that non-stick part is but on season 2 they're wondering why the food isn't getting cooked, turns out the gas was off 🤣

Every season, I watch the first episode or two of Masterchef, when they're doing signature dishes to try to get an apron.
For some reason I always lose interest after that.
Signature dishes are always some of the best bits of cooking shows, in Masterchef they did it like American Idol, I did watch some of those before, maybe I should try again once I complete HK.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Signature dishes are always some of the best bits of cooking shows, in Masterchef they did it like American Idol, I did watch some of those before, maybe I should try again once I complete HK.
I don't think they do it any more, (and the show is kind of trash now,) but my favorite was the signature dish challenges on Worst Cooks in America. These people would make awful, sometimes inedible food and Anne Burrell and the co-host du jour would have to try it. And some of the people would be so PROUD of their food, which made it even funnier.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think Next Level chief is his best show right now

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Masterchef is peak, I think in the middle seasons they were really pushing the drama but the more recent ones not so much if at all.

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that took a turn for the worst, honestly think the cast is strong right now.

I think the final two will be Sammi and Ryan.

Jason is a scumbag, it's hilarious because he reminds me so much of Toby from The Office.

I like Ryan, I think they'll keep him long for his entertaining interviews.

Sucks to see Tad go, rather it be Jason but maybe the producers see the value in such a vile person.

I don't think they do it any more, (and the show is kind of trash now,) but my favorite was the signature dish challenges on Worst Cooks in America. These people would make awful, sometimes inedible food and Anne Burrell and the co-host du jour would have to try it. And some of the people would be so PROUD of their food, which made it even funnier.
I have seen clips of that and only because it had Carla Hall and Alex Guarnaschelli, looks like a hilarious show. I will try and check it out, thank you!

I think Next Level chief is his best show right now
Next Level Chef is like his answer to Top Chef albeit very rigid in structure thanks to its theme, but yeah I highly enjoy it and hope it continues.

Masterchef is peak, I think in the middle seasons they were really pushing the drama but the more recent ones not so much if at all.
I will eventually get around to it, maybe after Hell's Kitchen. That's if I don't do another round of Top Chef re-runs 🤣

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit! I knew that Kitchen Nightmares was back, but didn't know this was as well. I think this thread made my day!

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have seen clips of that and only because it had Carla Hall and Alex Guarnaschelli, looks like a hilarious show. I will try and check it out, thank you!
If you're going to do this, aim for the early seasons. The later seasons are pretty obnoxious. A lot of people who are clearly chosen because they make for weird TV, and the editors go really over-the-top with sound and visual effects.
I hate the wierd americo vibes on MasterChef and this rn
Yeah, it's off-putting when they do this stuff. And whenever they "theme" a season like this, you can trust that it will be mentioned at least a dozen times every episode. It was especially noticeable in season 10 of MasterChef, where every three seconds someone would mention that it was the tenth season of MC. Did you know it was the tenth season of MC? That's why they were doing this challenge, because it was the tenth season.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Masterchef is great. The Joe Can't Cook memes make him enjoyable to watch, but I still wish Graham was there instead.

I wonder if throwing an undercooked protein is in Gordon's contract for every outdoor episode where there are military or firefighters or first responders.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I've moved away from Masterchef in recent years, although I did like the newest season. I miss when it would air two nights a week and losing teams actually had to complete an elimination test to see who would be going home, as opposed to the sacrificial lamb who just couldn't manage the heat of a grill outside. The show also got really pretentious in recent seasons (same thoughts for NLC), and while some may enjoy the diminished focus on interpersonal drama what can I say, I miss it.

I know Kitchen Nightmares was always hyper-produced, but it seems even more evidently so after watching the first 2 episodes of the new season. I'll check out the next episode, but I may end up dropping it as it feels so fake.

The new season of HK is very enjoyable so far, though.

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Funniest scene of the series so far:

Gordon: What planet are you on?
Claudia: AMERICA! 😄 Earth 😀

Sad now 😭

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to do this, aim for the early seasons. The later seasons are pretty obnoxious. A lot of people who are clearly chosen because they make for weird TV, and the editors go really over-the-top with sound and visual effects.
Thank you! I always start at the first seasons no matter how rough so hearing that is quite encouraging

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This season was the most stacked talent wise we've ever seen. Not just the finalists. The brigades were really on point. You could tell they were struggling to find some drama throughout the final service. Even the one big mistake was uneventful. They switched stations peacefully and that was that.

Also, it's interesting to see the budget drop on the show as ratings have decreased. One of the last awards was just two rented jet skis. Lots of meals at rented houses throughout the season.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's interesting to see the budget drop on the show as ratings have decreased. One of the last awards was just two rented jet skis. Lots of meals at rented houses throughout the season.
The past few seasons have been mid-pandemic. This season was February/March of 2022.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hell's Kitchen hasn't been the same since the intros pivoted away from hilarious nonsense like the Gulliver's Travels Ramsay breaking free from being roped down. It'll be back at full power once it gets those intros back.