• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

This is my girlfriend and her son Rodrigo. He's 5 years old and in 2018 he was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. A condition that'll limit his physical abilities exponentially as he grows possibly leaving him bed ridden by his teenage years with a life expectancy of reaching his early 20s at best. Although this condition has no cure, just the process of getting diagnosed can literally cripple a family, since we've had to travel and perform countless test in order to figure out what was wrong.

In 2020 we had a glimmer of hope as he was chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to participate in a clinical trial that is trying to find the cure for this via gene therapy. The problem is we live in Dominican Republic, where minimum wage is about 200 dollars a month and an office job salary is about 600-800 a month, and the clinical trial is in New York one of the most expensive cities in the world. While we were blessed to have pretty good jobs in the context of our country, we literally had to spend all of our savings and sell pretty much everything we had on top of crowdfunding, in order to move to NY in 2020. I stayed behind to keep my job in DR since none of us could work in the US.

Due to the pandemic the trial kept on getting delayed indefinitely and my girlfriend and son had to comeback to DR in March 2021, since they had no exemption on their visas if there was no trial. By that time I had been let go from my job as well and was only working as a freelancer. So we were way worse than before, we'd basically lost everything we had in DR, had to let go of everything in NY, and nothing to hope for regarding Rodrigo's health.

About three months ago we got an email back from the Presbyterian Hospital in NYC telling us the trial was back on track for fall 2021. We had to test Rodrigo once again for to make sure he was qualified to participate and everything seems good to go. The problem is this time we have to be there for at least 3-5 years to complete the whole process.

We've already spent everything we have and we need all the help we can get to make this possible. My girlfriend's parents recently sold the childhood home in order to help and we're asking 50k to cover expenses of flights, moving, lease, and just day to day stuff and stretch that out as long as we can since she won't be able to work while the trial is happening, and I can only work in DR and travel back and forth to see them.

We are taking donations via this platform, since Gofundme was having trouble with our Dominican donations. Anything you can do to help will be greatly appreciated.

Mod Edit. Link Removed.

If anyone has any info that can also be useful, or is going through a something similar please share.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hey man, I wish you, your girlfriend, and especially little Rodrigo all the best. God bless.

OP
OP
supernormal

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you guys for your donations and wishes.

Here's some info about the clinical trial.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Good luck, donated to you. I have a good friend whose daughter is also dealing with a rare genetic disorder called Phelan Mcdermond Syndrome, so I can understand how frustrating these type of disorders can be.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Can only give a meager amount but I wish you the best of luck and good health

OP
OP
supernormal

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Good luck, donated to you. I have a good friend whose daughter is also dealing with a rare genetic disorder called Phelan Mcdermond Syndrome, so I can understand how frustrating these type of disorders can be.

Thank you. We've been collecting info from many families who share a similar story in order to build a database and educate regarding the subject.

Once you're in this world you meet so many people, many even worse off, and it just breaks your heart how little there is to do to help these folk, especially in third world countries like mine.

OP
OP
supernormal

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I would make an account at StockTwits.com and look for the SRPT stock symbol.

Post your story in that channel. A lot of investors have made money in this company based on this drug and may be another good source of donations for your son.

Thanks for the info.
Oye mi pana, te deseo lo mejor

All good vibes my friend.

Gracias por el apoyo!

Hermano. Les deseo lo mejor

Muchísimas gracias!

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Hace you tried reaching Jompeame for help? Maybe they can help you spreading the word. Can I donate through a Dominican bank like el popular o el BHD?

OP
OP
supernormal

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hace you tried reaching Jompeame for help? Maybe they can help you spreading the word. Can I donate through a Dominican bank like el popular o el BHD?

Yes absolutely! Here's some alternative ways you can donate on the second slide, like Banco Popular, Zelle or PayPal.

I'll send you a DM with the info if you can't see the IG post. In the case of Jompeame, they take on cases of really extreme poverty and our case doesn't really qualify.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
While we sympathize with the situation, in general we don't allow fundraising threads.
www.resetera.com

General Guide to ResetEra

General Guide to ResetEra Last updated on May 3, 2021. Mission Statement Since its founding in late 2017, ResetEra has been an inviting bonfire at the crossroads of the gaming industry. Our goal is to provide a modern platform where enthusiasts and industry professionals alike will want to...

Status
Not open for further replies.