• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
My wife and I are potentially adopting a three-legged cat this weekend. We haven't met it in person so nothing's set in stone, but as long as it's friendly and get along with other cats we'll more than likely adopt it.

I have a long tradition of naming pets after foods. Past cats and dogs include Sundae, Gumbo, and Omelette. I'd love to keep with the tradition, and if I could include a reference to the cat only having three legs (as in names like Trinity and Tripod that are often given to three-legged pets) that'd be a cherry on the top.

I've thought about it a bit and haven't come up with much. I've kicked around

BLT: This is just too obscure. Three ingredients, three legs, kind of makes sense but people aren't going to immediately get the idea like they would with a name like Tripod. I also just don't like it much as a name, it would be annoying to repeat often and the cat would almost assuredly end up with a nickname that's used almost exclusively.

Tres Leches: A little warmer maybe, but I'm not sure this is even technically a food (I've always seen it with the "Cake" at the end, which is getting a little long and inviting an unrelated nickname) and it's not cute or clever. Three cheese, three legs... it just doesn't seem as charming as a cat named Gumbo.

That's about all I've got. I'm not confident there's a name out there I'd be happy with, but figured I'd make a thread in case someone else can come out with something. Other three-related names are also appreciated (my wife likes Trinity which I'm not crazy about at all) but like I said, incorporating the food tradition would be special.

durrrklin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Best Coast
Tri-Tip or Neapolitan (like the ice cream)

I would go for Tri-tip, but Neapolitan sounds nice.

Edit: My reason for Tri-tip: Tri cause of the three legs, tip cause you can tip the cat over easily lol.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Can't you just stick to your food names? It seems disrespectful to name someone after their handicap, cat or no.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Tri-Tip or Neapolitan (like the ice cream)

I would go for Tri-tip, but Neapolitan sounds nice.

Wow, I really like Neapolitan. Unfortunately the cat is solid grey, would have been absolutely perfect for a calico cat. Still really like it though, that'll definitely go into consideration. Polly is a nice nickname too (all our pets have had nicknames, I just don't want it to be a situation where their actual name basically becomes forgotten because it's so awkward).

Thanks!!

Can't you just stick to your food names? It seems disrespectful to name someone after their handicap, cat or no.

A majority of the three-legged pets I've ever met were named Tripod. Everyone I've ever met always thought it was cute and funny.

Naming pets after their appearance is a bit different than doing the same for a person. I don't give a second thought to someone naming a brown lab Chocolate, though naming a child after their skin or hair color would be beyond ridiculous. I guess I get what you're saying, but it seems extremely sensitive to me.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Pictures in case anyone is wondering what the cat looks like:

jdgAW0p.jpg

xIdcQVC.jpg

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You missed a great thread title with "What do you call a cat with 3 legs?"

I came in here to say BLT, but I see it's already rejected. I can't think of any other foods relating to the number 3 though.
So I'll say Cake. Or Mushroom, because it's grey.

Edit: aw what a sweetie

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Sketti, named after the American classic consisting of pasta, ketchup, and butter.

Alternatively, skitty (cat).

Oct 25, 2017
Macaron is a three layer dessert. Or Spanikopita is another triangle food that would make a fun name for a cat.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
If I ever get another cat, its name is going to be Captain Macaroni. I'd hate to know that someone else has taken it (they probably already have) but it fits your food theme and kinda the three leg thing. Give him a cool eye patch and a wooden leg and you're set.

Do it.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Top 6 cat names according to kittycat.com

Tricock

Fuckcarpet

Barry

Jesus Shitpocalypse the 3rd

HECOMESLETUSPRAYFORUUGMAWTH

Steven Fluffagans.

cluto