• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Given all the confusion about account creation for FFXIV (I know, it sucks) in light of the new patch and free trial extension, I figured there was a need for a specific thread people can defer to.

For those with existing PS4 accounts:
  • If you have the free trial already installed and have not paid money for the game, then the expanded free trial applies to your account and you can simply login to begin playing it.
  • If you bought the game at any point, then you are no longer eligible for the free trial. To circumvent this, you can make a separate PSN account to register the free trial to. Also note that this applies to any existing FFXIV account you had as well, since it is linked to your PSN. You will need to create both a new PSN and new FFXIV account (make sure to create an entirely new Square Enix account as well, not just FFXIV) to play the free trial.
For those with existing Steam accounts:
  • If you have the free trial already installed and have not paid money for the game, then the expanded free trial applies to your account and you can simply login to begin playing it.
  • If you bought the game at any point, then you are no longer eligible for the free trial. To circumvent this, you can make a separate Steam account to register the free trial to. Also note that this applies to any existing FFXIV account you had as well, since it is linked to your Steam. You will need to create both a new Steam and new FFXIV (make sure to create an entirely new Square Enix account as well, not just FFXIV) account to play the free trial.
For those with existing PC accounts:
  • If you bought the game at any point, then you are no longer eligible for the free trial. To circumvent this, you can make a separate FFXIV account to register the free trial to (make sure to create an entirely new Square Enix account as well, not just FFXIV).
In all second cases listed above this means you will have to play on a new account and character. Also remember that free trial accounts have restrictions placed upon them in order to combat RMT botters. The restrictions are as follows

Provided by rpm :
Q: What are the free trial restrictions?
A: https://support.na.square-enix.com/rule.php?id=5382&la=1&tag=freetrial
  • Free Trial Players are not required to purchase licensed software to use the Free Trial.
  • One (1) Free Trial account may be registered using a Square Enix account so long as that Square Enix account has not been previously registered with any version of the game.
  • Free Trial Players cannot make in-game micro transactions during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can create only eight (8) playable characters, restricted to one (1) playable character per world.
  • Free Trial account characters have their level capped at level sixty (60).
  • Free Trial account characters can obtain only a capped amount of in game currency (GIL).
  • Free Trial Players cannot use the "shout", "yell" or "tell" in-game chat options during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot access the in-game market board during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot trade items with other players during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot use the Mogletter service during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot hire a retainer character during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can join a Linkshell if invited, but cannot create a new Linkshell during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot create or join a Free Company during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players can join a party if invited or by using the Duty Finder, but cannot assemble a party during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot login to the Lodestone and or any other game forum during the Free Trial.
  • Free Trial Players cannot progress past Floor 10 in the Deep Dungeon during the Free Trial.
These are the restrictions of the current free trial. The only known changes to this list are the level cap (35 -> 60) and the Deep Dungeon progression cap (Floor 10 -> Floor 200, which is the final floor, meaning the restriction has been fully lifted from Deep Dungeon)

Q: Can I play the Free Trial if I've already bought the base game (A Realm Reborn/Starter Edition)/received the base game for free through a promotion (Alienware Arena, Twitch Prime, free PSN giveaway)?
A: No, the Free Trial is not accessible to those who have already bought the base game.

Q: Is a subscription required if I own the base game but am still in A Realm Reborn/Heavensward content?
A: Yes, you need to pay the subscription fee if you own the base game/are not on the Free Trial.

Q: I'm currently playing the Free Trial. Will my current Free Trial be upgraded to the new Free Trial?
A: Yes, you should be automatically upgraded when 5.3 releases.

Q: What do I need to buy if I want to continue playing after the free trial?
A: You need to buy both the base game and the latest expansion, Shadowbringers. These can be bought separately, or together in the Complete Edition.

Q: Does the base game/the Complete Edition include 30 days for free? Do expansions include 30 days for free?
A: The base game/Complete Edition provides a free 30 days. Every time the base game/Complete Edition is registered on a new platform, you will receive a free 30 days (i.e. if you're playing on PC, buying and registering the PS4 version to your account would provide you with a free 30 days.

Q: Does the game have cross-play/cross-progression? Can I play the free trial on two platforms at once?
A: The game has unified servers across all platforms. You can play your account/characters across multiple platforms if you buy the game on multiple platforms. You cannot play a free trial account across multiple platforms; if you want to play on two or more platforms, you must buy the game on each platform you wish to play it on.

Q: Can you pay the subscription via PSN?
A: No, subscriptions are paid via SE's own XIV account management website, MogStation. You can pay with a credit/debit card, PayPal, or via prepaid game time cards found in stores or on Amazon.

Q: How does cross-server play work?
A: Servers are grouped into clusters called "data centers". You can play with others within your own data center. The main things that are still determined by your server is what FCs (read: guilds) you can join (you can only join FCs on your own server) and housing (you can only own housing on your own server)

Q: What is the "Recruit a Friend" system? How does it work?
A: The "Recruit a Friend" or "RAF" system is a system that allows both existing and new players to be rewarded for bringing in new players to XIV/joining XIV. For recruits, the rewards are:
  • Friendship Circlet, a headgear that increases XP by +20% when level 25 and below
  • 99 Aetheryte Tickets. An Aetheryte Ticket allows you to use a ticket to teleport instead of incurring the normal gil cost.
  • A fist bump emote.
  • 10 Silver Chocobo Feathers, which you can trade in for gear
RAF codes are entered after you buy the game, but before you pay for your first month. You will receive the rewards upon paying for your first month.

Last edited:

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
FYI, if you played in the original beta, you can't do the trial unless you contact support and convince them to do the "one time ever" change for your account. Absurd that beta participation locks you out of trails ;p

Oct 25, 2017
I did a free trial years ago but dropped it after a few days. Am I still eligible for this new one? Also how the hell do you find it on the PSN store? All the versions I'm seeing cost money to download.

EDIT: Think I found it, but it says I'm not eligible because I already own it (never bought it before), but when I go to the game page it says I have to pay to download it. :/

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I did a free trial years ago but dropped it after a few days. Am I still eligible for this new one? Also how the hell do you find it on the PSN store? All the versions I'm seeing cost money to download.

EDIT: Think I found it, but it says I'm not eligible because I already own it (never bought it before), but when I go to the game page it says I have to pay to download it. :/
Redownload it from your library.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
If you haven't bought the game, then you're still on a trial account and should be fine. The FFXIV free trial is listed under demos on the PS Store

FYI, if you played in the original beta, you can't do the trial unless you contact support and convince them to do the "one time ever" change for your account. Absurd that beta participation locks you out of trails ;p
This is true too. Which is dumb, but that's Square Enix for you

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Does anyone have a link to the trial on the Playstation store? Maybe I'm just an idiot but I cannot seem to find it.

EDIT: nevermind. Looks like I downloaded it once before, and was able to dig it out of my download list.

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I played the beta and am not gonna jump through hoops to play this. Was tempted to jump in, but not if I have to call support. What an own goal.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
I bought it on PS3 just to try it way back in the day (ARR, not the vanilla game).
I wonder if my account would work on PS4 if I tried to reactivate it...

Roxoriku

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm unsure if this is the case with Square Enix accounts, but when making an alt account on PSN you can type your email (example: [email protected]) with an a "+alt" or whatever you want after the + (example: [email protected]+VII)

It's worked for my many different PSN region accounts.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
So in the Mogstation site under Service Account Status and Subscription it should say "Free Trial"?

I messed around with FF14 years ago when it had some free trial and I think that might be another reason why my account isn't showing "Free Trial". Looks like I'll need to use my other account.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone have a link to the trial on the Playstation store? Maybe I'm just an idiot but I cannot seem to find it.
US Version
UK Version

Redownload it from your library.
I also want to put it out there that rpm was the one who saw the need for this. At the time we thought grouping it with the tips thread would be sufficient, but given the amount of questions I see that they were right to think this needed its own thread. Thanks for your work.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
So I have to register my accounts for other regions and start over if I want to play, it's a shame I went in on the free a realm reborn promo last May, they really got me on that one. The trial is actually pretty meaty, I might play again with a different account if I get an itch for an MMO RPG. I really enjoyed what I played but I can't commit to a single game for too long.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I also want to put it out there that rpm was the one who saw the need for this. At the time we thought grouping it with the tips thread would be sufficient, but given the amount of questions I see that they were right to think this needed its own thread. Thanks for your work.
Yeah, while I figured a thread like this would be useful, I was hoping to add it that info onto your tips thread since then it would be a one stop shop of everything you needed to get started, both on the account side and in-game, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for all the work you've done on both the tips thread and threads like these. They're really making a difference for a lot of people who'd like to jump in.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Bumping for posterity. Please use this thread for account questions.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Also worth reminding, if you buy the game on Steam, you are locked out of any other PC version of the game. You will be tied to the Steam version and Steam releases of future expansions.

This also applies to the free trial. If you play the free trial through Steam, you will only be able to update to the Steam version of the game.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
  • One (1) Free Trial account may be registered using a Square Enix account so long as that Square Enix account has not been previously registered with any version of the game.
this seems to answer my question from the other thread. since i own the PS4 starter edition, i can't link my PSN to a new SE free trial account without that free trial being locked out

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
So if I get the free trial on Steam I cannot play the free trial with that same character on PS4? It has to be a paid character?

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
So if I get the free trial on Steam I cannot play the free trial with that same character on PS4? It has to be a paid character?
That's my interpretation yes. The free trial will be locked to its current platform. It may be different for the normal PC version.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Welp, no Free Trial for me. Somehow, even after creating a new account on PS4, with a completely different mail, it says I already own the Starter Edition. WTF?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Complete Edition when it was on sale on Steam for the Winter Sale and since I had already played a free trial earlier at some point on some platform it wouldn't let me run the game and unlock all the DLC and whatever. It was really frustrating so I just gave up.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I bought the Complete Edition when it was on sale on Steam for the Winter Sale and since I had already played a free trial earlier at some point on some platform it wouldn't let me run the game and unlock all the DLC and whatever. It was really frustrating so I just gave up.
Was this on the same Square Enix and Steam account? Or was the trial on another platform?
nope, don't even have a SE account yet D:
Try creating a new Square Enix service account and registering the free trial to that.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was this on the same Square Enix and Steam account? Or was the trial on another platform?

Try creating a new Square Enix service account and registering the free trial to that.
The trial was without Steam, and my current SE account is linked to everything. If I seriously can't play the game without having yet another SE account then fuck them.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

thanks for the reply, mate.

For a while it seemed the universe itself didn't want me to play the goddamn free trial - considering my failed attempts on playing the thing on PS4 I decided to bite the bullet, so to speak, and test if my laptop could actually run it or not. I was under the impression it didn't (considering CanYouRunIt showed it as "failed") but I thought "what the hell, I'm not gonna lose much".

So I went onto Steam, downloaded the Free Trial and crated a SE account there. Peachy. Then it started downloading the update.

BSOD all of a sudden.

Fuck.

Rebooted, tried again. Logged in, started downloading the update. BSOD again.

Fuck.

So I really thought that was it. No Free Trial for me. Then I realized it was the wifi driver that was acting up - I had a couple of BSOD some days ago related to that, but I'm outta luck because the "most recent" driver on my laptop's manufacturer website is from 2016. Twenty-fucking-sixteen. So no "oh, make sure you are up to date with the wireless drivers!" for me, because (LOL) I AM.

Anyway, if the wifi drivers were the cause of the problem, I decided to go with a wired connection this time. So I did, and (finally) the update was downloaded and installed without a hitch. So it was finally time for me to play the goddamn thing, right?

I went and created a character for the free trial and all that. Then "log in".

"unable to create character data".

JFC.

At least a quick bit of google-fu told me the answer (long story short: windows defender protecting a certain folder), I fixed that and finally, FINALLY, could get the Free Trial to run.

Not smooth, I guess, not even at 720p, but it's something I guess :P

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The trial was without Steam, and my current SE account is linked to everything. If I seriously can't play the game without having yet another SE account then fuck them.
Yeah, their accounts system is bunk. I don't fault you for being fed up with it all. Have you tried logging in to Mogstation to see what your account status is?

Not smooth, I guess, not even at 720p, but it's something I guess :P
Holy moly. Glad you were able to get it running after all the trouble shooting you had to do.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I bought Realm Reborn in 2014, and then I start up a monthly subscription now, do I own Heavensward?

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Yeah, their accounts system is bunk. I don't fault you for being fed up with it all. Have you tried logging in to Mogstation to see what your account status is?

Holy moly. Glad you were able to get it running after all the trouble shooting you had to do.

haha, yeah, it was fucking wild... but at least I managed to get it running. I just hope my laptop doesn't end up melting after this shit :P

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before I am even given the opportunity to redeem my Steam keys I get this message:

Square Enix Account Management System

This service account does not have a valid FINAL FANTASY XIV license for this platform or your subscription has expired.
To register a license, please visit the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station (https://sqex.to/Msp).

I have nowhere where I can redeem my Steam keys

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
If I bought Realm Reborn in 2014, and then I start up a monthly subscription now, do I own Heavensward?
Yes, you now have access to heavensward if you resub your account.
Before I am even given the opportunity to redeem my Steam keys I get this message:

Square Enix Account Management System

This service account does not have a valid FINAL FANTASY XIV license for this platform or your subscription has expired.
To register a license, please visit the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station (https://sqex.to/Msp).
Try navigating to FFXIV in your Steam library and see if the registration code is there. That might be the one you input to that link. You can right click to view the key.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/39210/discussions/0/540739860966964964/?l=french

haha, yeah, it was fucking wild... but at least I managed to get it running. I just hope my laptop doesn't end up melting after this shit :P
Hopefully not haha. I hope you like the game!

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Hopefully not haha. I hope you like the game!

Thanks, I hope so!

Regarding the PS4 situation, it might've been the fact that: A) somehow I didn't remember (it's been almost two years since) I had activated this console as "primary PS4" which -apparently- meant games could be played on any account on the system, and B) I had already downloaded the Starter Edition (that I got for free a while ago) onto the console. So, despite me never even opening that Starter Edition on said console, it somehow registered to ALL users. And even when I created yet another alt, with a different mail, and the "primary console" option deactivated... I 'got' the Free Trial on PSN Store and it turned into the FFXIV Starter Edition on my library (apparently? It doesn't say "Free Trial" when I opened my Download List on my fucking LAPTOP -not even my console-, it just says Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn)

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Oh I have the codes from Steam. Two of them. Mogstation is not recognizing them.
I see. On Mogstation, are you able to go into account management settings? I'm assuming you're inputting the code to the expansion registration code box. Make sure the region matches your Steam region. And you said that previously you had played an FFXIV trial on your SE account right? But on another platform.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see. On Mogstation, are you able to go into account management settings? I'm assuming you're inputting the code to the expansion registration code box. Make sure the region matches your Steam region. And you said that previously you had played an FFXIV trial on your SE account right? But on another platform.
I had played on Windows, outside of Steam. Didn't know there was an option to create a new service account. that was so dumb. Been sitting on this game for months after getting frustrated with it.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks, I hope so!

Regarding the PS4 situation, it might've been the fact that: A) somehow I didn't remember (it's been almost two years since) I had activated this console as "primary PS4" which -apparently- meant games could be played on any account on the system, and B) I had already downloaded the Starter Edition (that I got for free a while ago) onto the console. So, despite me never even opening that Starter Edition on said console, it somehow registered to ALL users. And even when I created yet another alt, with a different mail, and the "primary console" option deactivated... I 'got' the Free Trial on PSN Store and it turned into the FFXIV Starter Edition on my library (apparently? It doesn't say "Free Trial" when I opened my Download List on my fucking LAPTOP -not even my console-, it just says Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn)
Ahh I see. Yeah, FFXIV will link to your PSN account. You would probably need to create a new PSN for the free trial to work on your PS4.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I had played on Windows, outside of Steam. Didn't know there was an option to create a new service account. that was so dumb. Been sitting on this game for months after getting frustrated with it.
That might explain things. If you were trying to register the codes but it was still on the old windows account, the Steam codes won't be compatible with it. You'll need to create a new FFXIV service account, which should be under account services

20200813-121250.jpg

yeah, I did. Twice! And it still told me I had already purchased the game :shrugs:
How bizarre. It could be that some other element on the chain was recognized as your old FFXIV account, which was why it kept turning into it.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I haven't played FFXIV since ARR launch on PS4, and I was unlikely to subscribe again. The new stuff has enticed me but I really want to get my feet wet for a bit. Why are they making me jump through hoops to do so? It's ridiculous.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
How bizarre. It could be that some other element on the chain was recognized as your old FFXIV account, which was why it kept turning into it.

yeah, it beats me. I can only guess it's the fact that I had the Starter Edition already downloaded into my console (with my main account, which is also my main PS Store account). I could try deleting the app and then creating yet another alt PS Store account (it'd be my third, jesus) to see if that somehow manages to fix it, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that now. What if it doesn't work anyway?

And, again, up until the point of creating a Square Enix account for the laptop version of the Free Trial last night, I had no S-E account whatsoever. It's very strange.

Anyway, I appreciate your replies a lot - you're taking the time for this shit and you're not even official tech support for this shit hahaha

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't played FFXIV since ARR launch on PS4, and I was unlikely to subscribe again. The new stuff has enticed me but I really want to get my feet wet for a bit. Why are they making me jump through hoops to do so? It's ridiculous.
It's because of RMT farms which try to circumvent bans, but it ends up making their account system a headache and a pain to deal with.

yeah, it beats me. I can only guess it's the fact that I had the Starter Edition already downloaded into my console (with my main account, which is also my main PS Store account). I could try deleting the app and then creating yet another alt PS Store account (it'd be my third, jesus) to see if that somehow manages to fix it, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that now. What if it doesn't work anyway?

And, again, up until the point of creating a Square Enix account for the laptop version of the Free Trial last night, I had no S-E account whatsoever. It's very strange.

Anyway, I appreciate your replies a lot - you're taking the time for this shit and you're not even official tech support for this shit hahaha
Oh! That would be why haha. It recognized that you had the starter edition downloaded on your PS4, so it got overridden. It might work if you delete your starter edition, and create a whole new PSN, SE account, and FFXIV account. Not really worth the hassle now that you have it going on your laptop lol. But I would delete FFXIV from your PS4 anyway.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Kinda bummed I can't play on PS4. I can't for the life of me remember the login I used when it was free earlier so I tried to make another, turns out that worked but I can't link it.

Yeah it is weird, I thought I had an account, turns out I didn't? Find that super strange

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Kinda bummed I can't play on PS4. I can't for the life of me remember the login I used when it was free earlier so I tried to make another, turns out that worked but I can't link it.
Can't link to your PSN right? It's probably because your PSN is already linked to the old account. You can contact SE customer support to de-link the two so you can link your new account with your PSN. Or you can make a new PSN.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Can't link to your PSN right? It's probably because your PSN is already linked to the old account. You can contact SE customer support to de-link the two so you can link your new account with your PSN. Or you can make a new PSN.

I reached out last night, and trying to login with my new account on PC is giving me trouble. Even my security question won't be accepted nor my one time password when trying to login on a PC.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I reached out last night, and trying to login with my new account on PC is giving me trouble. Even my security question won't be accepted nor my one time password when trying to login on a PC.
Does this happen when logging in to Mogstation?