• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing it again with my gf shortly.

I just remembered, did anyone else find Alex Wolff's crying kinda phony looking? His weird whining felt very "affected" to me. Otherwise I thought he was great but I remember wincing at that point.
The seance scene where he cried in his dad shoulder was not good. But I appreciate his snot later on, because single tear is too fake and too often abused.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Alex Wolff really grew as an actor since his Naked Brothers Band days. I was really impressed. And Toni Collette is phenomenal in everything.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing it again with my gf shortly.

I just remembered, did anyone else find Alex Wolff's crying kinda phony looking? His weird whining felt very "affected" to me. Otherwise I thought he was great but I remember wincing at that point.
EVERYONE in my theater were laughing whenever he cried. It was so funny.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
1. It felt kind of cheery, which goes against the rest of the movie.

Assuming this has to do with the triumphant music that plays, which I also found jarring at first, it was purposeful:

Paimon wiki said:
In the Goetia, Weyer, de Plancy, Livre des Esperitz, Liber Officium Spirituum, and Sloane 3824, he is described as a man riding a Dromedary or camel, preceded by men playing loud music (particularly trumpets).

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
EVERYONE in my theater were laughing whenever he cried. It was so funny.

I don't know how you people missed what was happening to him during these scenes and over the course of the movie....

YES his cry was weird but that's obviously intentional. He was literally crying like a baby (or a toddler) in those scenes because he was emotionally regressing after everything that happened with Charlie dying and what was happening in front of him (the seance and her returning in the room). Look back over the course of the movie and look at the language he used when talking to his own mother....He started off in the film calling her "mom" like an any annoyed teenager would. This is perfectly in character during the first act of the film. As the film progresses and shit starts to hit the fan did you notice how many times he now called her "Mommy?". It was like how a young child would talk to his mom, not a teenager. When he was up in the attic he was yelling down to her "Mommy please stop, Mommy".

It's essentially what people do when they are in fear of dying. They call for their "mommy". Jesus - How was this so hard to miss?

Last edited:

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Random thought and there are too many comments to sift through. During the movie I had a thought that ALL of this was in Annie's head and the "light" showing up in the movie at multiple parts was the reflection off of her magnifying glass thing she uses to make her miniatures.
Has this been discussed or was that just a dumb thought?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I can't think of a horror film that's ever made me this sad and legit upset. I actually had a tear roll down my face this time when Charlie dies and her mother is crying over the loss. So fucking gut wrenching.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Not sure if this has been covered in previous pages, but why didn't the cult try to possess Peter when he was born? And why put the demon in Charlie at all?

Striker

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been covered in previous pages, but why didn't the cult try to possess Peter when he was born? And why put the demon in Charlie at all?
It mentioned during the movie the mother kept Peter away from the grandmother, but gradually accepted her being with Charlie.

It may have been using Charlie as a host to get after Peter. Remember the dad and brother of Annie both essentially killed themselves so she's been at this for a while.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random thought and there are too many comments to sift through. During the movie I had a thought that ALL of this was in Annie's head and the "light" showing up in the movie at multiple parts was the reflection off of her magnifying glass thing she uses to make her miniatures.
It's not in her head, or at least that concept isn't really worth subscribing to

Love the idea of the magnifying glass reflection though that does sort of hint at bits of it being her recreating it in the dioramas

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the significance of that lingering shot on Apartment 202 when Annie realizes Joanne's not who she seems is?

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Watched this yesterday, went in completely blind and when I saw the scene of the girl cutting the pidgeon's head I remembered I saw the first trailer for this a while back, was a very nice surprise! My favourite horror movie experience in a theater ever.
Loved that the movie didn't rely on jumpscares, I just felt this sense of dread and tension troughout the whole movie, all of it culminating in that crazy sucession of terrifying scenes.

Some observations:
- Charlie's death was perfect. The way they let the scene build after the accident happens, and you're shocked just as much as Peter, to the moment the mother starts screaming as she finds out what has happened, and note that at this moment we still have no idea of how bad the situation his, and then BAM they hit us with the horrific image of Charlie's severed head on the ground was amazing.
- The drama that is created in the house after that death is great, and seeing the father trying to protect Peter and the mother getting crazier and crazier with grief was very interesting. And that dinner scene was great!
- Was pretty fun trying to catch the hidden cult symbols during the movie, went to see the movie with my girlfriend and whe was freaking out when she saw the symbol on the post.
- Seeing some of the complaints of people laughing, some people on my theatre laughed too, but they always laughed after something awfull had happened, so that leads me to believe that was their way of releasing some of the tension built from some of the scenes, because that was really something this movie did well.
- The last act had me shook. Seeing the mother on the ceiling, the hidden figure in the darkness, the photo of Peter with his eyes pierced, the MOTHER CUTTING HER OWN HEAD, and finally the whole final scene (wich was a bit silly, but I liked it, the headless bodies bowing down was cool)
- I felt really bad for the father. Poor guy.
- The movie seemed to drag on a bit in the middle, I believe there was some parts that could have been cut from the movie, but knowing they have cut one hour from the movie already I'm not sure what haha
- The movie relies a lot on my suspension of disbilief. Lot's of things happened and I believe we are not supposed to ask why, like the post where Charlie died being all part of a plan by the cult, the father being the one that is set on fire after being established that the mother is the one that is connected to the notebook, the mother being able to get into the attic for some reason, and some other parts.

In the end, I loved the movie, and some scenes really stayed with me. Was completely immersed by it, and it might be because I had no hype or expectations for it like some people here had.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
It mentioned during the movie the mother kept Peter away from the grandmother, but gradually accepted her being with Charlie.

It may have been using Charlie as a host to get after Peter. Remember the dad and brother of Annie both essentially killed themselves so she's been at this for a while.

Ok, thanks. What I was wondering with Peter was

I felt that great sleepwalking scene with Peter had something more to it when she was talking about not wanting him, trying to abort him, etc. Felt there was something in there that explained why the cult couldn't possess him but I couldn't remember the dialogue. It stuck out as one of those scenes where they'd sneak expository dialogue in disguised as family talk, like when she mentioned her brother killing himself because the gma "tried to put someone inside him." I kinda just let that go at the time but in retrospect, damn.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2. I really don't like "The Bad Guy Wins" endings. Yeah, that partly comes with the genre, but it also made me more grateful that another recent horror movie ended well.

I'm also confused. She throws the drawing book into the fire, but the dad burns. Why? Why does Annie become evil and part of the cult?
When they're talking about the Greek tragedy in class, I believe the student starts talking about how they're all pawns. That's foreshadowing that they don't really have free will in any of this.

And I assume the book burns him because she's trying to do the noble thing of sacrificing herself for her son, but nothing is going to go right in this situation for her. I mean the cult symbol on the telephone pole and the use of the spiritual flyer(and when that fails, Joan) shows mostly that it's all been set up and just waiting to be set in motion.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked this movie a lot, with plenty of tension, scares, and fake-outs. I immediately started questioning the need to show Charlie's rotting head, but the ants come back later. The scene of Annie cutting her own head off was disturbing too. The twist of an evil cult doesn't surprise me at all, I thought this was the basic premise: grandma does evil Satanic stuff and the family is cursed for it. They even show the necklace with the emblem at the funeral. I do have problems with the ending for 2 reasons.

1. It felt kind of cheery, which goes against the rest of the movie.
2. I really don't like "The Bad Guy Wins" endings. Yeah, that partly comes with the genre, but it also made me more grateful that another recent horror movie ended well.

I'm also confused. She throws the drawing book into the fire, but the dad burns. Why? Why does Annie become evil and part of the cult?

The demon was fucking with them the entire time and just decided to possess her at the end. Nothing anyone did actually mattered and the son becoming Paimon would have happened regardless, was only a matter of how.

Kinda similar to The Witch, the other A24 horror film which also had a plot that actively annoyed me.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Alex Wolff really grew as an actor since his Naked Brothers Band days. I was really impressed. And Toni Collette is phenomenal in everything.
Woooow, that guy was in the Naked Brothers Band? This is blowing my mind.

The demon was fucking with them the entire time and just decided to possess her at the end. Nothing anyone did actually mattered and the son becoming Paimon would have happened regardless, was only a matter of how.

Kinda similar to The Witch, the other A24 horror film which also had a plot that actively annoyed me.
Why did it annoy you? The characters having no say in the matter is literally spelled out to you in the first 15 or so minutes of the film with the lecture about Hercules.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
The movie was great, but I disliked the ending. I was hoping for the film to go the ambigious route - how much is supernatural, how much is it happening inside Annie's head (I pinpointed her unreliable narrator quickly, so I didn't take the seance scenes at face value. Most of the supernatural stuff happen from her POV until the final scenes).

But no, the movie ended up going the easy route with Rosemary's Baby esque ending. Took out lot of the tension for me, when everything was flat out revealed. Still a great movie, but it could have been amazing. Charlie's death scene from start to Annie finding her was some real nightmare horror.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Just saw it. One of the scariest movies I've seen, maybe up there with The Exorcist and The Shining. Holy fuck.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the significance of that lingering shot on Apartment 202 when Annie realizes Joanne's not who she seems is?

It was showing all the satanic ritual stuff.

The movie was great, but I disliked the ending. I was hoping for the film to go the ambigious route - how much is supernatural, how much is it happening inside Annie's head (I pinpointed her unreliable narrator quickly, so I didn't take the seance scenes at face value. Most of the supernatural stuff happen from her POV until the final scenes).

But no, the movie ended up going the easy route with Rosemary's Baby esque ending. Took out lot of the tension for me, when everything was flat out revealed. Still a great movie, but it could have been amazing. Charlie's death scene from start to Annie finding her was some real nightmare horror.

I wouldn't call that the easy route, just a different one, and I think it works better than the other which, imo, given the context of the rest of the film might have actually been a bit more obvious.

I really liked how it flirted between the two possibilities but decided to go pure satanic horror In the end. Whereas many films of its type spendthe entire film being more standard /obviously supernatural, this one showed how a satanic prescience in a family spanning a few generations could cause what could only be described as mental ilnesss or sickness by people grounded in reality.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
It was showing all the satanic ritual stuff.

I mean the shot of the number above the door of the apartment opposite Joanne's. I remember the camera lingering on it for a bit longer than necessary and I wondered whether it had any significance in relation to Paimon or some other demon-related business. It's common for certain numbers to have "sacred connotations" like 666, 777, etc. and I was wondering if there was something similar being hinted at there but I wasn't finding much. I'm a sucker for occult trivia.

Probably just reading too much into it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the shot of the number above the door of the apartment opposite Joanne's. I remember the camera lingering on it for a bit longer than necessary and I wondered whether it had any significance in relation to Paimon or some other demon-related business. It's common for certain numbers to have "sacred connotations" like 666, 777, etc. and I was wondering if there was something similar being hinted at there but I wasn't finding much. I'm a sucker for occult trivia.

Ah I don't don't remember that sorry, was there a marking of any kind near it?

Need to watch this again...

Oct 27, 2017

I need to see it again as I can't really remember, but I vaguely recall that there was a camera visible in the shot? My impression was that it was implying Annie was being watched, but I will be honest that I cannot entirely remember the precise details of that shot.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I need to see it again as I can't really remember, but I vaguely recall that there was a camera visible in the shot? My impression was that it was implying Annie was being watched, but I will be honest that I cannot entirely remember the precise details of that shot.

There was indeed a security camera on the wall behind the door.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I saw this last week and I still can't get over it.

I've felt like every hyped scary movie has been overhyped (Babadook, It Follows) or just neat but not really scary (The VVitch, It)

And there isn't anything necessarily scary about this movie, but I think that's the thing that gets to me. They don't really show anything, which makes my imagination go into overdrive. The body upstairs, the cultists in the shadows, the ghost in the dark. Once you see the monster it doesn't become scary. If they leave you to your own devices, you come up with something worse IMO

I feel like a little kid again, scared of what's in the dark. Like every night I'm going to bed with my partner because I don't want to stay up and see some shit in the corner of my eye lol. It doesn't help that a few of our windows don't have blinds so I'm just imaging some naked ass cultists staring at me.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this last week and I still can't get over it.

I've felt like every hyped scary movie has been overhyped (Babadook, It Follows) or just neat but not really scary (The VVitch, It)

And there isn't anything necessarily scary about this movie, but I think that's the thing that gets to me. They don't really show anything, which makes my imagination go into overdrive. The body upstairs, the cultists in the shadows, the ghost in the dark. Once you see the monster it doesn't become scary. If they leave you to your own devices, you come up with something worse IMO

I feel like a little kid again, scared of what's in the dark. Like every night I'm going to bed with my partner because I don't want to stay up and see some shit in the corner of my eye lol. It doesn't help that a few of our windows don't have blinds so I'm just imaging some naked ass cultists staring at me.
This was me too. I loved all those movies you mentioned, but only Hereditary actually kept me up at night.

Paresh

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand the criticisms. I thought it was terrifying. The ending left the story irrefutable

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I would have liked that way more. They could have zoomed out the same way they zoomed in in the beginning of the movie and that would have drastically improved the ending and the overall movie for me. As it currently stands, Hereditary is just another movie I wish I didn't bother wasting my time seeing in the theater.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018

But the final scenes are from the point of view of her son, who is potentially also mentally ill. It runs in her family. Only the father, who shares no genetics with the mother, seems unaffected.

The final scene is shot in such a way, that to me is implying it all could be in his head. The way the camera is framed right around his head, strongly suggesting that everything we are seeing is merely his own POV, and perhaps all in his head.

Taking my GF, who is the most easily frightened person I've ever met, tomorrow. This is going to scare her badly, lol.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just noticed on my third viewing that the decapitated bird from the beginning is in the cage next to Charlie's severed head at the end, lol.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it wasn't. The ghost was real.
Yeah that's what I thought too. Also a point in this movie as well because they keep teasing mental illness in the family. You don't know for sure if the mom is just crazy or if all of this is real. Until the end, where yeah... clearly the Paiman thing wasn't just in her head.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I watched this movie yesterday, and I love it. This horror approaches you in a different way. Unlike conjuring it doesnt build its suspense points via jumpscares, but through the nuance and small details that you wont realize, and they permeate into your mind unconsciously.

As the movie goes, you will terrified even though nothing happens. It starts with nothing at first, but you will feel disturbed as the movie goes

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it today. Theater got really bored with the movie and just started making random clicking noises themselves.

I was underwhelmed. I heard comparisons to The Witch, and that got me excited. Other than that, I went in very cold, so I didn't know who wrote or directed it, so I thought it was by the same director as The Witch by the very limited word of mouth I got. The direction and cinematography became very repetitious to the point where I wasn't sensing any dread or moodiness. I wish the movie kept with a theme of mental illness rather than breaking that explicitly near the end. Acting is great, and I'd probably recommend it to people, but I wish it played more straight as a family drama or more abstractly than the ending suggested.

The "scariest" part to me was near the end where a fly buzzes in front of the camera. It took me off guard and I almost swatted it away myself. Other than that, I really never felt much tension after the fist act, and as a result it failed for me as a suspenseful thriller or horror movie.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh boy, one of these film where you have this constant feeling of uneasiness. My wife described it very fittingly as Lars von Trier'ish.

Is there any indication that the sleepwalking story where Annie was about to set her kids and herself on fire was some desperate act to save them all from what was about to come? Though I don't know why Annie would not remember this?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I mean to ask - what was the meaning of that shot where Annie goes to Joan's house for tea and she picks some small black bead out of the tea or something. They linger on it and it confused me.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I mean to ask - what was the meaning of that shot where Annie goes to Joan's house for tea and she picks some small black bead out of the tea or something. They linger on it and it confused me.
Not sure, one of the cult members also went up to the grandmother's body at the funeral and wiped something on her lips, so it's probably just part of the ritual.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night with 7 other people. Opinions were all over the board and the debate was hot afterwards over if it was good or not. I'd give it a 2/5. Cinematography and performances we're good, big the story didn't do it for me. Poorly paced, too many dumb plot points to move the story along, and not enough backstory. Gonna have to disagree with the consensus on this one.

Ogre

Mar 26, 2018
Oh boy, one of these film where you have this constant feeling of uneasiness. My wife described it very fittingly as Lars von Trier'ish.

Is there any indication that the sleepwalking story where Annie was about to set her kids and herself on fire was some desperate act to save them all from what was about to come? Though I don't know why Annie would not remember this?

That's the implication, yes.

"I was trying to save you!"

Annie makes comments and displays things throughout the film that hint that she knew something was up, but her conscious recognition of it all was likely repressed. Because the truth was horrific.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Saw this yesterday. Pretty good movie overall, with a next level performance from Toni Collette. I enjoyed the first half more than the second for sure. The ending felt a little too cribbed from Rosemary's Baby. Still glad to see a horror movie in 2018 that actually takes time to build up atmosphere and doesn't rely on jump scares. The mouth clicking sound showing up after the little girl dies was some scary shit, totally got me on edge in the theater. The massive age difference between Toni Collette and Gabriel Byrne was pretty jarring, at the start of the movie I thought he was her father (sure is old enough to be). But yeah glad I saw this one in theaters.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I finally got around to seeing this yesterday. I thought it was brilliant, the car accident scene was wholly unexpected probably the biggest gut punch I've ever experienced in a film. The audience I watched it with was completely enthralled no laughing, no clicking.
Lastly, I loved the ending. I hate happy or ambiguous endings. I really thought the ending would be your typical horror trope. I was sure she would burn the notebook and sacrifice herself to save her son and husband. She did burn the notebook but I couldn't have been more wrong.

I wonder if there is a chance of more films? The cult mentioned there being 8 or 9 Kings of hell if I remember correctly.

Oct 27, 2017
At the very end of the movie, is Charlie literaly inside of her brothers body? I got the feeling that Charlie isn't particularly evil, but Paimon is. Is Paimon a passive host in Charlie, or does Paimom=Charlie.

I was also wishing Charlie made the clicking noise at the very end after the cult praised Paimon lol.

Movie scared the shit out of me btw. Loved it

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Probably edges out A Quiet Place as being my favorite movie of the year so far.

I'm still shocked they killed Charlie off so soon and them not spellijg out what happened to Annie's dad and brother but connecting the dots on your own was goddamn magnificent

2nd year in a row where an A24 horror flick is in my top 2

Edit: and once again I enjoy reading takes from people who didn't get straightforward low budget horror movies lol

Edit 2: nevermind the takes are too hot, calling it garbage or laughing at it is too much. Time to sleep

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You remind me of the type of person that cant handle criticism of something they enjoyed and latches onto fallacies like "well you didnt watch the whole thing so none of your criticisms are valid"
That's true though. You're blatantly wrong about the main things of the movie and the fact that you stuck to them after reading the plot is fucking bizarre.

Any decent summary would have clued you in that Charlie was more than just weird, worst post in the thread lol