Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I really wonder what kind of games they mean. On the interview they give Spider-Man 2 as an example of a PS5-only game so it can't be that, Factions 2 maybe?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
like i said in the PS OT.

of course SP games are profitable when Sony GAAS efforts were...Predator....and destruction all-stars.

you can add MLB as well, but nobody cares outside the US.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I don't have much issue with crossgen stuff personally, but I'm gonna need to start seeing that new single player stuff

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I really wonder what kind of games they mean. On the interview they give Spider-Man 2 as an example of a PS5-only game so it can't be that, Factions 2 maybe?
I'd imagine nearly all their live service stuff will be cross-gen. Their singleplayer stuff less so. Spidey 2, Wolverine are leaving cross-gen behind and those are arguably their two biggest IP. If those won't be cross-gen I can't imagine much else will.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
User Banned (1 Month): Platform Warring over a Series of Threads; Long History of Platform Warring
It keeps getting worse and worse by the day, jesus christ I can't catch a break lmao

"We believe in generations" haha

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'd rather they make a native PS5 game and down the line they dumb it down to PS4 if they seem it's worth it. But yeah it's best if they don't pair down the PS5 Sku bc of PS4.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Wonder how they decide which games are current gen only and which ones are cross gen?

Maybe it's up to the studio

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Reckon live service games will still be cross-gen given the massive playerbase still on PS4.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It would make sense for the GaaS games to be cross gen especially if they need to scale for lower end PCs and even possibly mobile.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
If this is for games outside of GaaS, that would be disappointing. Current gen is 2 years old at this stage.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
If single-player games are the most profitable then why aren't they making more of them? It seems like a right decision to expand on GaaS and Mobile titles but no indicaiton of increasing their portfolio of single-player games appears like they're being negligent.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
  • Hulst says his teams are trying to tackle the issue with nuance. He floated that an experienced art director might decide they want to work a Saturday to polish something. "Am I going to say no? Well, it's a bit more complex, because what if his entire team then feels obliged to also go in? So what that means is that we need to have that conversation with the art director and say: 'That's about the game. But there's also your team.'"

An interesting tidbit about crunch

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
  • Hulst says his teams are trying to tackle the issue with nuance. He floated that an experienced art director might decide they want to work a Saturday to polish something. "Am I going to say no? Well, it's a bit more complex, because what if his entire team then feels obliged to also go in? So what that means is that we need to have that conversation with the art director and say: 'That's about the game. But there's also your team.'"

Words don't necessarily mean action, but I think this is one of the few times I've ever seen an executive come across as understanding what crunch culture entails.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very cautiously opportunistic about the profitable he stated on the interview since they haven't made anything IPs games for the past two years since the PS5 has launched, just a very few exclusive ones.

But we will shall see if he keeps his commitment on SP or not.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
If single-player games are the most profitable then why aren't they making more of them? It seems like a right decision to expand on GaaS and Mobile titles but no indicaiton of increasing their portfolio of single-player games appears like they're being negligent.
Because games take time.

Horizon 1 took 7 fucking years.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense since they'll probably also end up on PC and you want to snatch up the mid-low end market.

Yeah and he actually spoke about that in the French interview that just went live. So day and date on PC + cross-gen will give them a better chance of building bigger communities.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
They are also increasing their single-player portfolio, they have like 15+ SP titles in development (my list says 23)

Words aren't action, but I think this is one of the few times I've ever seen an executive come across as understanding what crunch culture entails.
TLOU: Part 1 was actually done with zero crunch, hopefully that continues

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

a quick glance at the internal studios and you will see that the amount of rumored SP games is matching or even exceeding the numbers from last gen.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Cross-gen will probably be for some live-service games and MLB, guessing Factions will be live-service, and maybe Helldivers 2

With Spider-Man 2 + Wolverine being PS5 only, I don't see any other single-player games being cross-gen, I think that ends with Ragnarok

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 primary last gen, grabbed a PS5 at launch, but good god damn do I loathe the direction of Playstation these days.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Because games take time.

Horizon 1 took 7 fucking years.
Yeah but it's not like they've announced a slate of PC, GaaS and Mobile games but they've been talking about substantially increasing their investment in those areas. But for the titles that made PlayStation Studios popular in the first place, namely the single-player games, so far they've indicated that they will just maintain the course and not increase their number of projects.
a quick glance at the internal studios and you will see that the amount of rumored SP games is matching or even exceeding the numbers from last gen.
So far it seems like it will match the previous generation when they should be increasing in genres where PlayStation Studios offerings have been weak and nonexistent, especially as acquisitons are happening as well so they can't rely on third parties for everything.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly, all things considered that in this generation it really makes sense to leave the door open for cross gen for a good while.

The tech between the systems in terms of base architecture and APIs and stuff is basically the same/similar and while there's a good power gap, it's also not as drastic as previous generations.

Keep things available to a much wider userbase

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Bruh this is getting annoying, cross gen in 2022 was already pushing it, let the PS4 rest at once it had it's time already

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Not bothered. I know my favorite studies of theirs are either releasing their past cross gen title or already released a new gen only project. The real problem is having to wait for ssm and the god of war after ragnarok.