• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.wired.com

The PS5 Is Starting to Look Like the Revolution It Promised

What’s happening with Sony’s latest console, now that it’s been out for six months? Supply issues aside, it’s proving to be much more than a simple evolution.
According to Hermen Hulst, a Guerrilla cofounder whom Jim Ryan tapped to lead PlayStation Studios in 2019, the group has more than 25 titles in development for the PS5—nearly half of which are entirely new IP. "There's an incredible amount of variety originating from different regions," Hulst says. "Big, small, different genres."

Theres a lot in this article, but this quote in particular is very intriguing.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by Cyberia

According to Hermen Hulst, a Guerrilla cofounder whom Jim Ryan tapped to lead PlayStation Studios in 2019, the group has more than 25 titles in development for the PS5—nearly half of which are entirely new IP. "There's an incredible amount of variety originating from different regions," Hulst says. "Big, small, different genres." And in many of those cases, Sony's shared services became a lifeline for studios navigating lockdown. Having moved all its employees home in early 2020, Guerilla Games found itself staring down the barrel of a game that hadn't even finished its voice and performance capture, let alone play-testing. For the audio, Guerrilla shipped recording booths to the voice actors' homes. Performance capture was tougher, since it couldn't use its usual facilities in California, but last summer the studio moved into a new Amsterdam space they'd designed to have a motion-capture stage; that, plus some very careful hygiene, allowed them to get what they needed. And the play-testing? Well, it's a good thing Sony had invested in cloud gaming for its streaming service PlayStation Now. "Seeing that first play test using PlayStation was a huge relief," says Smets. "Knowing that, 'OK, great, we can continue.'"

Indies are getting in on the fun too. Haven Studios, a new venture from industry veteran Jade Raymond, has partnered with Sony for its next game, as has Firewalk Studios for an unannounced multiplayer title. Ember Lab, an animation and digital studio, is releasing its first major game, the Zelda-esque Kena: Bridge of Spirits, in August; while the game began its life as a PS4 title, Sony encouraged cofounders (and brothers) Josh and Mike Grier to make it available on both. Now, the pair is excited not just about what they've been able to do with the added horsepower—more characters onscreen, 3D audio, using the haptics to make the protagonist's bow and arrow feel as lifelike as possible—but what they've learned for when it comes time to make their next title. "Our groundwork was on the PS4," says Josh Grier. "But looking at game two, focusing on taking advantage of the SSD and building mechanics and tools around that, will be really fun. I know for sure we haven't fully taken advantage of how actually fast it is—we were getting a lot of benefits of it being just out-of-the-box better. But I think you can push it even more."
www.wired.com

The PS5 Is Starting to Look Like the Revolution It Promised

What’s happening with Sony’s latest console, now that it’s been out for six months? Supply issues aside, it’s proving to be much more than a simple evolution.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Man the lockdowns really hit gamedevs hard . The fact that they continued to make their games through all of that is admirable.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
giphy-3d11fb792bb924a84.gif

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
At least 12 continuations to existing franchises? Are my hopes of an IQ reboot possible?

Oct 27, 2017
So either 14/11 or 13/12 balance more or less. I'm fine with that and it's about what I expected from Sony given their track record. Can't wait to see what surprises they have in store

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising but good news that Sony has a committed focus to New IPs as well as returning franchises.

The whole FUD surrounding Sony's development pipeline consisting solely of the same games is hopefully done at this point.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Not expecting alot of Japanese games aside from Astro Bot VR. I hope at least one of those is another AAA game from Housemarque. Returnal is brilliant.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
This was always going to be the case. Every playstation generation has been the same. Exciting to see!

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Very cool. My main hope is that they tap into more of that original quirky side.

For the other half of existing IP please be at least two of these: Ape Escape, Sly, Jak, Wild Arms.

And for the love of something holy give us Alundra back!

Neen

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Oh boy, the negativity. Lol.

This is very exciting! Hopefully one of those games is Bloodborne 2. Either way, can't wait to see these games.

The recent release of Returnal and the upcoming release of Ratchet and Clank gets me super pumped for what lies ahead. These games are showcasing the hardware and they look absolutely incredible. Great time ahead.

Oct 25, 2017
A 50/50 split (or thereabouts) for new IPs is exciting, especially when something like Returnal has been the breakout surprise of the PS5 so far.