• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
I had one of these for PS2 and it wasn't half bad for the time. Looking it up I think it's called a Katana controller?
xZcw0Yx_d.webp

I've been seeking this and the other licensed one. They're damn expensive.

As of now the Brooks adapter seems to be the best option. I kiiiiiiiiiiiinda want to indulge in a softmodded PS3, but the compatibility issues with some of my favorite games are making me wary

Dammit why didn't Sony release a truly official (Not licensed, first party) wireless controller like Nintendo did?

Almost a year ago now I got a Blue Lake Performance controller and love it. I use it fairly frequently (a couple hours every week) on action heavy games (SoulCalibur II, Genji, and RE4) and it still works like a charm. They're $13 on Amazon.
61X1rlukjdL._AC_SX425_.jpg

My issue with off-brand controllers is that quality seems to vary and they are not the most durable. I've looked this one up on Amazon Spain and seems to fit the bill pretty well, but on the other side some people are reporting questionable durability.

This is way too hard :/ For such a popular retro console (It hurts calling it retro, but it is) the lack of variety in quality wireless solutions is annoying.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
My issue with off-brand controllers is that quality seems to vary and they are not the most durable. I've looked this one up on Amazon Spain and seems to fit the bill pretty well, but on the other side some people are reporting questionable durability.

This is way too hard :/ For such a popular retro console (It hurts calling it retro, but it is) the lack of variety in quality wireless solutions is annoying.

It also pains me to call PS2 retro haha, but on the bright side the controller I recommend isn't too expensive of a gamble.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a PS3 any more, but from what I remember: the PS3 can only output 480p over HDMI as its minimum resolution, not 480i, and it doesn't support 240p at all.
When outputting progressive from the PS3 you get combing in any game that runs interlaced because it doesn't do proper deinterlacing.
I had to run its output through a DVDO Edge video processor's Progressive ReProcessing feature to extract 480i from the 480p output and process it correctly. I believe it also had options to force the output as 240p rather than 480i.

As for the softening, there was a bad bug initially with the PS2 that was patched, but I seem to recall people saying that the output still had issues.
The comparison in that MLIG video does look good though, and so does the "smoothing" anti-aliasing option - though I'd like to see more of it. I don't remember the results being favorable at the time.
If you'd like any examples I could record some for you. Tho my capture card, AverMedia Live Gamer 4k, doesn't allow for lossless recording. So might not be the best thing. As things stand I am very satisfied with my BC PS3 for my PS2 library... but I definitely feel my hair turning grey everytime I play on it due to knowing it can go any minute. At this point I had to jailbreak it cause the disc drive died and even after buying a replacement drive it didn't work (so something else wrong) so I needed a way to put my PS2 library onto its internal hard drive, but that allowed me to install a fan utility, and I constantly have the thing sounding like a jet-engine in hopes it'll prolong it.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I'm actually waiting for that one to be available on Amazon Spain, since it's not officially sold here and I don't trust other retailers/importers if I had to use the guarantee.

I considered that for a while, but I don't have a Saturn controller I'd want to sacrifice.
Just grab a 'junk' Japanese one off ebay for a couple of bucks. I have like six Saturn pads lying around lol.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
This might not be what you want to hear, but consider emulation. It removes issues like dying hardware or peripheral incompatibilities.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've had two of the Brook PS2 adapters, and had problems with both of them. Any time I press the PS button on a DualShock 4 controller, it acts like the d-pad is being held Up for about a second. This issue also manifests itself at random while you're playing, without pressing the PS button, about once every 5-10 minutes, which can wreak havoc on what you're doing. My PS2 is soft-modded with Free MCBoot, so I don't know if it's an incompatibility with that, or if I just had bad luck with defective adapters.

Speaking of Free MCBoot, the Open PS2 Loader homebrew software has a built-in PadEmu function that lets you use a USB bluetooth adapter to play using a DualShock 3 or 4. This works fairly well, but unfortunately it seems to use system resources to do so, and ended up causing slow-down during battles in Tales of the Abyss that gradually got worse and worse the further into the game I got, to the point that I was forced to go back to using a regular controller. It also doesn't work in the PS2 OS, or other homebrew software.

I've bought numerous knock-off wireless clone controllers from Amazon and eBay, but all of them ended up being garbage, and the analog sticks end up drifting after either minutes of use or a few days of use.

My 60GB launch PS3 finally bit the dust about a year ago, so I can't use that any more. I'm currently using the "official" Katana wireless controller that I bought years ago, but it's not that great: uses 3 AAA batteries, the analog sticks are stiff, and it's got that shitty matte plastic that degrades over the years and kind of turns sticky. I still regularly play on my PS2, so I would love a decent wireless controller solution for it.