• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

View: https://twitter.com/PaladinsGame/status/1648537369899933699?t=C8mPYTkytK_aqxCMNKH9bA&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/RogueCompany/status/1645637956659474433?t=LRyvVn_BB_CFEuf5uCfSig&s=19

I am not sure about Rogue Company but Paladins was having some big performance and crashing issues from the start that were only becoming worse with every update. The textures were not loading properly and the game would crash, sometimes even few times during a single match. Memory leak was main issue.
They say that they con't continue to support Switch ports anymore. DLC and other purchases will not be refunded.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Yeah, if the money's not there for them on Switch it's a huge burden compared to other consoles which have relative technical parity. Unfortunate but understandable given the games have had ongoing tech issues on Switch, to boot.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I liked Rogue Company when it launched on Switch, but I dropped off it. When I returned to it later I was waiting forever to get matches with other players.

It's a shame, it was fun but yea looks like they just couldn't find enough players for it to be worth it

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I really liked Paladins on PS4. I haven't played it in years though, I'm surprised it's still going.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Shutdowns like this are why cross-platform accounts being linked is something we need more of with GAAS games. It sucks that Switch is going down but the fact you can take that progress elsewhere really helps soften the blow.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the games come back for the next iteration of Switch though.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Yes, everything that is not PlayStation, because for whatever reason they never managed to make it work with Sony. Really sad.

Jeez! Given that playstation/switch is the most common pairing of consoles for someone to have, that kinda makes the whole thing worthless. Shame they aren't doing refunds, hope not too many people bought it recently

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Jeez! Given that playstation/switch is the most common pairing of consoles for someone to have, that kinda makes the whole thing worthless. Shame they aren't doing refunds, hope not too many people bought it recently
Rogue Company supports crossplay on all platforms i think, Paladins is only PC/Xbox but yeah...

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
the technical disparity between switch and other consoles has been an issue since the Switch launched. On paper it always made sense because of how popular it is but in practice the console could not handle a lot of things, which is why Fortnite had its own servers for Switch users.

I think this is a tough call but they probably saw it just wasn't worth the effort

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Offtopic but is Rogue Company worth a try?
I think that the game is worth trying if you like the genre. But it's having issues with lack of players and not the best support by devs.
In general, Hi-Rez is not doing good for like two years now. Big number of devs left or were fired. Their only really profitable game is SMITE and maybe Paladins, but much less. Everything else, like Rogue Company, Divine Knockout and Realm Royale is struggling to be profitable.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I think that the game is worth trying if you like the genre. But it's having issues with lack of players and not the best support by devs.
In general, Hi-Rez is not doing good for like two years now. Big number of devs left or were fired. Their only really profitable game is SMITE and maybe Paladins, but much less. Everything else, like Rogue Company, Divine Knockout and Realm Royale is struggling to be profitable.

Hi-Rez has also never really been good at console development either. Like, the Smite console ports have been jokes for about as long as they've existed, and have only gotten worse over time (I last remember complaints on the subreddit about the Playstation version being completely busted for the longest time). And that's their flagship game, I can't imagine Paladins or Rogue Company doing much better (though Divine Knockout seems to at least run for the most part so there's that).

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Offtopic but is Rogue Company worth a try?
I really enjoyed it, and it ended up being my second most played PS4 game, but I felt like they never really knew how to balance it, and it was aggressively patched to the point where every week or so practically felt like a new game because so many weapons and abilities got tweaked. It has an identity crisis though, because it was balanced around being a team based CS clone with 'heroes', with a few CoD modes on the side, but the CoD modes got popular, and suddenly it was trying to balance around both.

They also added non-input based crossplay at some point, and I swiftly dropped it there and then. I'd hope they've disabled that by now, but if not, play on PC for a nice advantage. The community/players were the main reason I dropped it though: probably some of the most toxic in recent memory, but on average completely lacking the skill to warrant it lol. A bunch of people going 3-21, blaming the team, and rage quitting.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Hi-Rez usually don't really care enough to properly fixing their games, this shut down feels more like a preparation for the imminent Switch 2 version really.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It sucks that Hi-Rez owns the rights to Starsiege Tribes.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Playd a TON of paladins in my switch.
Still like the top 3 games I ever played, right behind Animal Crossing.
It is the best console to control it, motion aiming was delicious.... but yeah, the freezes were a bit too much even in my days.

Paladins > Overwatch
in every sense

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Amazing that these guys made input based crossplay between PC and Consoles and Blizzard won't do it for Overwatch...

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017

Which means there will come a point where Hi Rez announces shutdowns for Rogue Company, Realm Royale and Divine Knockout.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has logged on probably a couple thousand hours on roco, I will say that the game is fantastic when all is going well. The fact that it's f2p hurts it a bit with all the quitters and afks in games. Like many other game devs, hi-rez doesn't punish players for doing that which results in so many lopsided games. Also their skill based matchmaking doesn't seem to work well at all. When you do get balanced games it's terrific fun. Each rogue handles the same, it's the guns that make the primary difference. The abilities and deployable items do add a bit of flavour in making the characters feel a bit more distinct especially in objective modes but in general the game very much about using movement well and shooting well. I find the controller aiming quite easy, I'm not sure if it's necessarily easier on PC but I feel people with average fps/TPS skills like me can have fun with the game.

As for the switch version, it's been trash since forever. I really wanted it to be better so I could crossplay with my wife and sister in law during the COVID years but it had atrocious lag even with a direct ethernet connection to the switch. The game isn't even at feature parity.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
i understand but annoyed that there is no cross-progression from Switch to Playstation. Guess I'm done with this...

Shutdowns like this are why cross-platform accounts being linked is something we need more of with GAAS games. It sucks that Switch is going down but the fact you can take that progress elsewhere really helps soften the blow.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the games come back for the next iteration of Switch though.

Not unless you have certain platforms, all my progress is lost.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Paladins is one of my most played games on Switch somehow so this is sucks. But yeah, game was buggy and crashed a lot.

Too bad I can't play it on my Steam Deck so this might be the last time I play it especially since playing on the Xbox sucks because of no gyro

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
damn shame for paladins

in its heyday, the switch version was such a better experience than the switch version of overwatch
the fact that they seemingly gave up on ever getting playstation cross-progression into the mix makes this sting even more