• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bansi

Jul 28, 2023
www.videogameschronicle.com

Hideo Kojima appears to have snuck a Silent Hill message into his OD trailer | VGC

Kojima was working on Silent Hills until it was cancelled…

The Xbox exclusive, which was previously known as Overdose, was officially introduced during The Game Awards last week, along with a teaser trailer showing close-ups of actors' faces.

However, as spotted by Central Xbox, and verified by VGC using the trailer on the official Kojima Productions YouTube channel, the section involving German actor Udo Kier appears to have a hidden message in it.

While Kier is talking to the camera, faint letters appear in his mouth during five separate frames, which can be seen easier if the video's brightness levels are adjusted (as we've done in the header image of this article, where you can see the letter A).

In order, the letters spell out 'Atami', which is a Japanese city located in Shizuoka Prefecture. The kanji spelling of Shizuoka is 静岡, and when separated into individual kanji, 静 means 'calm', 'quiet' or 'silent' and 岡 means 'hill'.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
While [Udo] Kier is talking to the camera, faint letters appear in his mouth during five separate frames

In order, the letters spell out 'Atami', which is a Japanese city located in Shizuoka Prefecture. The kanji spelling of Shizuoka is 静岡, and when separated into individual kanji, 静 means 'calm', 'quiet' or 'silent' and 岡 means 'hill'.

Some sort of...Silent...Hill?
My god Kojima's a genius. /s

Well if there was any doubt that this game is Silent Hills...
Exclusive to Xbox I assume?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I cannot see those faint letters at all no matter how hard I try.

Side note, so were those the actors actual faces or were they video game models?

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

I thought his entrance onto the stage, with the door creaking open, was reminiscent of PT.

First thing I saw.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear that this game will be the Silent Hill game that Kojima wasn't able to make

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure we needed this hint to clarify that this game will be the revival of the ideas from SH/PT but good fun anyway

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
PT - OD

I feel like we already see a close connection, but this is an interesting addition.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Man alive, if Kojima's Silent Him is a thing again, and it's an Xbox exclusive, that's a pretty big get

edit I saw the screen shots of these letters. Jesus, who finds these things??

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I mean, inevitably some (or many) ideas and scenarios he had in mind for SH will end up in this, but it's probably going to be a very different game from what SH would have been.

in any case, bring on the carnival of stupid. I'm ready for months of crazy Kojima theories

Feb 5, 2018
More of a meta question. If OD actually is Silent Hill, does that mean Konami and Kojima are on working terms again? Could he potentially then, for example, work on an MGS6 or even fix V lol?

Ill snort all the copium I can get.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why you gotta derail the carnival of stupid?

Hey ERA, here's the Overdose logo from the leaked footage of a close playtest, sometime ago.

images

And here's Silent Hill's classic Halo of the Sun you see throughout the games' save points and various other locations.

latest

Let the madness continue...
I like that idea, so it has to be true

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Imagine if Xbox gets a Silent Hills exclusive from Kojima, while Sony is releasing the sequel to the delivery man.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Off brand Silent Hill let's go!

Honestly if OD is set in a town that is just evil and fucks with the people who it can exploit with past trauma than that's good enough for me. Everything Konami is working on can fuck off. My love for Silent Hill as a series comes purely from the concept of Silent Hill itself and none of the specifics.