• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those air max 270 hot punches kinda nice.

Too bad I'm too lazy to keep up with sneaker releases

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I mean, these artists traverse a lot of ground sonically. What specifically are you looking for? A varied flow, less conventional beats, jazzy instrumentals?

If you like Open Eagle, the easiest recommendation is to check out the rest of his label, Mello Music Group: Oddisee, Mr. Lif, Quelle Chris, Skyzoo, Lando Chill, etc. I can't talk much about them since I'm not that well-versed on their music, but other folks here are.

Some recent stuff from this and last year:

*SNIP*

Long overdue, but appreciate all the recommendations. Got some new stuff to listen to for sure.

GOD this is fucking great

Speaking of new stuff to listen to. God DAMN!

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Listened to PRhyme 2 a couple of times and I really dig it. Gonna listen to the first one for sure

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Anybody have any recommendations for rappers that have a rock sound to them? I don't mean like a a Limp Bizkit or anything like that - I mean legit rappers that just happen to have rock music or rock-inspired tracks behind them.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Really liking Quan's Back To The Basics. Killy still on daily rotation too. DRAM too (never expected his album to slowly become one of my recent faves I go back to regularly - easy, fun listen).

ViewtifulJux

Oct 25, 2017
Tech N9ne always did some rock stuff. I don't listen to him much these days. Those tracks were never my favorites but if I'm being honest younger me enjoyed them a lot.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's a dude on rhymesayers who used to tap into rock or at least emo hardcore sorta style here and there. I remember he had funny hair

POS

ViewtifulJux

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah POS did a lot of rock influenced stuff, he's bald though I'm pretty sure. Thats actually not a bad recommendation if you are into Rock music and looking to explore some rap music. I really used to eat this stuff up.

I haven't listened to him in a minute, bringing back some memories.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah POS did a lot of rock influenced stuff, he's bald though I'm pretty sure. Thats actually not a bad recommendation if you are into Rock music and looking to explore some rap music. I really used to eat this stuff up.

Maybe it was just a weird hat I remember on his cover. Dude can actually spit fire though. Murs has a new album out too. I remember when he ruled the indie rap space.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida

This is hot and really different. Thank you!

I like this, although it wasn't sure what I expected. Thank you!

I love these too! Thanks!

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That Edan album is really really good. I remember thinking post Madvillain that he was gonna be around for a long while. There's a lot of instrumental hip hop around that time that sorta fits that cut and paste sorta psychedelic sorta sound. I remember I used to love that first Koushik album too. It's admittedly barely what many might call hip hop but he did Madvillain remixes and was on Stones Throw.

https://youtu.be/FikemItj6tI

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Loved Murs 3:16: The 9th Edition.

Yes. Prime 9th wonder as well. I think the best thing about listening to this now is how there was this weird criticism of 9th wonder for using Fruity Loops at the time instead of hardware like the NPC everyone else used. It's hilarious in retrospect if you consider what 9th Wonder beats of that time sound like.

PlayDat

Oct 25, 2017
Gavlyn & DJ Hoppa - Headspace

I think it's possible to both realize the legal system is inherently flawed and still not feel bad for a guy with countless resources who violated his parole for no reason several times. I don't think anyone is asking for a 'model victim' so much as people are skeptical to view Meek Mill's legal woes as a strong base on which to start a dialogue on reforming drug laws

I don't see how "not asking for a model victim" and "skepticism over Meek Mill's legal woes" are any different. EVERYONE needs to be free. The government has no right to tell adults what they're allowed to put in their bodies. The production, distribution, and use of drugs should all be legal. He should have never been arrested, imprisoned, or placed under any parole restrictions. I read a story about corrupt cops, a corrupt PO, and a corrupt judge who've all collectively caused massive material harm to potentially hundreds of people that'll last decades. You don't have to feel sorry for Meek at all, but I find it suspect that people who claim to agree the system is rigged have hardly any words for the authority figures who make a living impoverishing entire communities.

Always thought vids like these were cool. People who don't listen to rap reacting to it (metal heads in this case)

"Let's congratulate white people for providing minimal insight to black art they've ignored for years." Fuck all that shit.
Anybody have any recommendations for rappers that have a rock sound to them? I don't mean like a a Limp Bizkit or anything like that - I mean legit rappers that just happen to have rock music or rock-inspired tracks behind them.
Danny Brown - XXX
Sahtyre - Did Dat

This might not be the kind of rock you're looking for but here.
The Alchemist - Yacht Rock
Jay Worthy & The Alchemist - Fantasy Island

Last edited:

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Prime 9th wonder as well. I think the best thing about listening to this now is how there was this weird criticism of 9th wonder for using Fruity Loops at the time instead of hardware like the NPC everyone else used. It's hilarious in retrospect if you consider what 9th Wonder beats of that time sound like.
Hehe, yeah. I actually think the main criticism was his signature snare though, lol.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Meek got caught with an illegal gun and assaulted a cop (allegedly) for his first bid; subsequent arrest also included gun possession.

I agree on the drug shit but I'm iffy on whether that applies to Meek; he claims to be on some gang shit so it's not like he's Method Man in How High selling weed at college.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hehe, yeah. I actually think the main criticism was his signature snare though, lol.

To be honest I think it was mostly the name and the switch from hardware. Same thing happened with CD-J's and Turntables. People that just don't understand the benefits and wanna stay stuck in the past. I think the biggest reason was obviously the name. No one even bats an eye when a producer says he or she uses FL Studio nowadays.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh nm I don't really wanna get into this after all

Last edited:

PlayDat

Oct 25, 2017
Louie&Friends - 835 PM

Meek got caught with an illegal gun and assaulted a cop (allegedly) for his first bid; subsequent arrest also included gun possession.

I agree on the drug shit but I'm iffy on whether that applies to Meek; he claims to be on some gang shit so it's not like he's Method Man in How High selling weed at college.

I read about the gun charge and assuming the cop's story is true (lol), I still think that particular sentence was foolish. I don't like guns, but the only gun control I support is placing restrictions on their manufacture and sale. Meek never shot anyone so I'd leave him be. He was at the beginning of his career in entertainment and hadn't gotten rich yet. The most sensible response would have been to let the young man's music career flourish. No prison. No probation. Just let him travel so he can finally start making an honest living. That's how meaningful criminal justice reform works. It's more than just fewer years in prison or other minor tweaks to a rotten system.

This is a surprisingly poor take.
Am I wrong though? People value their opinions even though they're explicit about not being knowledgeable about hip-hop. If they weren't melanin deficient, I doubt these videos would be doing numbers. There's that other channel with the kid exposing his dad to rap music and consistently gets thousands of views as well. Some people in the audience are more interested in black music when the coverage is coming from white people. There're also those who are already into rap, but feel like their taste is more legitimate when white people are visibly interested too. Sort of like how gamers feel insecure when people insinuate their interests aren't art.

Face it, Timmy get more attention than Desmond. There's definitely some value in listening to what people new to the genre appreciate about it, but I'm personally not interested.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
Am I wrong though? People value their opinions even though they're explicit about not being knowledgeable about hip-hop. If they weren't melanin deficient, I doubt these videos would be doing numbers. There's that other channel with the kid exposing his dad to rap music and consistently gets thousands of views as well. Some people in the audience are more interested in black music when the coverage is coming from white people. There're also those who are already into rap, but feel like their taste is more legitimate when white people are visibly interested too. Sort of like how gamers feel insecure when people insinuate their interests aren't art.

Face it, Timmy get more attention than Desmond. There's definitely some value in listening to what people new to the genre appreciate about it, but I'm personally not interested.

Pretty exhausting to view this automatically through the lens of a victim or aggrieved party. Youtube is full of videos of people...reacting to things they aren't familiar with. This is not an exclusive thing about black music, it's a general Youtube reaction thing. You brought up gaming...Conan O'Brien does videos where he plays videogames; he's not a gamer, has no interest in gaming, but it's a...reaction skit. There is no difference.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Just let him travel so he can finally start making an honest living. That's how meaningful criminal justice reform works. It's more than just fewer years in prison or other minor tweaks to a rotten system.

I don't disagree; it's how most white 18 year old's get treated. Which I never thought there was anything wrong with in a bubble; the problem isn't going easy on white kids it's how hard the justice system is on black kids.

Meek is still a clown though. It's not like he's just violating petty probation rules; one of his revocations involved an assault charge.. which happened while traveling without notice lol

He's already "made it"; so why let the rich guy break the rules?

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Louie&Friends - 835 PM

People aren't watching those particular videos for any real insight into hip hop. They are watching them for the novelty of seeing someone who may not be intimately familiar with the genre react to listening to something for the first time. That goes for most of the reaction videos on you tube like "kids try Korean food." No one is watching these videos to see whether a 5 year old is going to understand the depth of flavor in kim chee stew. And the kid with his dad is one of the coolest shits things ever. I don't know how you could watch one of those and listen to that 8 year old speak about music more eloquently than the majority of simple reaction videos and not be won over. If someone like Lionpride actually decided to film himself listening to a Gang of Four album, I'm not going to say "wow you weren't even alive or know what the post punk scene was like in the 70's."

If you want in depth videos or deep dives there's stuff like dead end hip hop. My point isn't that racism doesn't exist, it's that trying to point that out using dudes that are notoriously elitist and closed minded actually trying something new and finding ways to appreciate it is kinda dumb.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IYRTITL is still great.

Switching up the angles now I'm in the Rolls with illuminated angel.

Status
Not open for further replies.