• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
It has one fantastic scene, the rest of the game is a boring slog

Blue Dragon and Last Story are the same. Flashes of brilliance marred by mediocrity and boring gameplay.
It took a decade + but my last attempt at Lost Odyssey (finally beat it!) really made me appreciate its battle system. The game limiting your leveling forces your hand and makes you consider very carefully the tons of options at your disposal. And I found the slow pace of it kinda refreshing but I understand that that's not for everyone.

As for Last Story and Blue Dragon I would agree. But I feel like giving them another chance now that I'm done with LO.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
b0JqW3M.png

Mmh I'm not an expert but this one doesn't look prerendered

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
"Fantasian is a game that shouldn't exist."

Seems like he's felt this dire about literally every one of his projects for the last 30 years, lol.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dang they're that small?

It's what google and wikipedia say anyway, they've always been a small company. As a result, they've typically outsourced development of elements other than the story (and music?), for almost every game before they went mobile, according to wikipedia. They might like the freedom of mobile development entirely being in their hands.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't immediately look like the most exciting game out there, but it's always good to see Sakaguchi back in game, I'll make sure to check it out.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Here's the timestamp for the footage from Apple's official upload (the 1:13 mark, ends at 1:48):

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
None of the big 3 care to work with him

I think the biggest barrier to doing business with him is that Mistwalker is just an ideas studio, and you'd have to pair them with another studio to handle the actual development of the title. If they were a complete studio with the ability to internally develop all facets of a title, I think they'd have a lot more takers.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Dragon is one of my favorite RPG's and outside of the screen tearing on the 360, the game is great. It's weird so many people are down on it.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hope one day sakaguchi returns to development in console games
edit: btw this is a good studio to either microsoft and sony to buy and would be something good for everyone, sakaguchi creating AAA games again

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
They literally turned the two assets they made for Terra Wars into this. I'm honestly expecting Mistwalker to close any day now if they don't get incorporated into a bigger team or company.

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
I liked Terra Battle 1, The Last Story and Lost Odyssey, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic for this. The use of dioramas to make the backgrounds is interesting.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
No one is asking him to make a AAA experience, just small budget RPG that isn't on mobile phones.
This... The notion that you have to make a AAA game if you work on consoles these days is laughably outdated, by almost 2 entire gens now. The budget that it takes to make a mobile game wouldn't likely be exhausted by going the indie console route. I mean, look how well Octopath Traveler did for Square.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, guy didn't deliver a great game in 10+ years. I think he's done and almost temped to call him a one hit wonder.
Vince_Vaugn.gif

Have to believe this is satire.
This is Sakaguchi's worst announcement since Cry On's cancellation.

Got no Apple device. Guess I ain't playing his game.

Hey I paid full price for Last Story! ...And bought Lost Odyssey used. And never bought Blue Dragon at all.

I'm sorry.
I think this might actually be Cry On, and that's what the 'game that shouldn't exist' refers to. Girl standing over a golem in one of the screenshots...

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This... The notion that you have to make a AAA game if you work on consoles these days is laughably outdated, by almost 2 entire gens now. The budget that it takes to make a mobile game wouldn't likely be exhausted by going the indie console route. I mean, look how well Octopath Traveler did for Square.
i have the impression of reading stuff that octopath was a medium budget game. But i agree if sakaguchi made something like that for consoles i would be hyped, unfortunately he's only focused on Mobile for some time =/

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. I hope Sakaguchi will do at least one more traditional RPG before he retires. He's expressed interest in the Switch, so god willing...

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
i completed lost odyssey, but i thought it was a huge slog, so it made me hesitant to try blue dragon. lost odyssey really killed any hype i would give sakaguchi nowadays on name alone.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Square should rehire him so he can make a good game again.
i hope one day sakaguchi returns to development in console games
edit: btw this is a good studio to either microsoft and sony to buy and would be something good for everyone, sakaguchi creating AAA games again
Do you guys know much about how Sakaguchi works and what Mistwalker is? Mistwalker is a title studio in Japan that he started made up of literally a handful of people. Sakaguchi himself lives in Hawaii with his family, and only commutes to Japan when there are important meetings he can't handle via Skype. He does not live in Japan and that is why he prefers to take on a supervision "ideas man" role along with Mistwalker making either small mobile games (that his daughter and her friends can also help playtest) or partner with bigger studios so they can make a game while he provides some ideas and supervision without having to be in a studio physically day to day.

The idea that Square Enix should rehire him, like he actually needs a job or wants to live in Japan fulltime, is simply not logical. The idea that Mistwalker is a good studio for MS or Sony to want to "buy", is also strange when you look at the reality of the situation.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys know much about how Sakaguchi works and what Mistwalker is? Mistwalker is a title studio in Japan that he started made up of literally a handful of people. Sakaguchi himself lives in Hawaii with his family, and only commutes to Japan when there are important meetings he can't handle via Skype. He does not live in Japan and that is why he prefers to take on a supervision "ideas man" role along with Mistwalker making either small mobile games (that his daughter and her friends can also help playtest) or partner with bigger studios so they can make a game while he provides some ideas and supervision without having to be in a studio physically day to day.

The idea that Square Enix should rehire him, like he actually needs a job or wants to live in Japan fulltime, is simply not logical. The idea that Mistwalker is a good studio for MS or Sony to want to "buy", is also strange when you look at the reality of the situation.
i knew about that, but his games for consoles are good so that's a good reason why to buy it, but i can see why sakaguchi wants a calm life in hawaii without a boss, and dont want to sell it.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
i knew about that, but his games for consoles are good so that's a good reason why to buy it, but i can see why sakaguchi wants a calm life in hawaii without a boss, and dont want to sell it.
But are they good because of Mistwalker entirely or because of the studios that developed the games? Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Last Story were all made by AQ Interactive studios that had a lot of console experience back in the day - Cavia and Feel Plus. None of those people are Mistwalker employees so buying Mistwalker would not get you any of that talent. Those were people who worked on Legend of Dragoon, Nier, Shadow Hearts, etc.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Normally I wouldn't be interested since it's mobile, but the diorama settings look pretty cool.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
If Apple Arcade is $9.99 a month like Game Pass I'll check this out on my Apple TV. Worth a shot if it's included as part of the service. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But are they good because of Mistwalker entirely or because of the studios that developed the games? Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Last Story were all made by AQ Interactive studios that had a lot of console experience back in the day - Cavia and Feel Plus. None of those people are Mistwalker employees so buying Mistwalker would not get you any of that talent. Those were people who worked on Legend of Dragoon, Nier, Shadow Hearts, etc.
we cant know for sure, what sakaguchi made in those games to see what was mistwalker or the other studio, if mistwalker had a bigger crew would they develop an rpg of the same quality? there's no answer to that. Besides sakaguchi name and if he will do a good job or not (because sakaguchi also failed before) its an investment in sakaguchi name if he can manage to do the same he done for square or not, and create great games.