Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Posted by JAY_HORROR in the PS OT. Interview from the Playstation Partner Awards. Takai-san also stated that they're adding "new powerful enemies and elements that will make the battle more enjoyable" which is music to my ears as I really want much harder content. As for the story stuffs, it's super vague but given the wording, I wonder if the DLC will still focus on Clive or if it will be someone else. Hopefully we get a trailer at TGA.

Coincidentally, there's a leaderboard update for FFXVI planned for just after the TGAs lol

View: https://twitter.com/finalfantasyxvi/status/1730445520588636667

View: https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1730557600956305644

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that doesn't mean it'll take place during the time he's a slave.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
Can't wait. Hoping for a TGA trailer 🙏

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
But will this update finally fix Jill's annoying footsteps sound so I can resume playing the game?

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
Day 1 whenever it releases. I wonder if it'll try to explain why Clive is Mythos. Maybe there is an actual reason beyond the 'chosen one' trope.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
Considering the design of the Fallen the absolute no-brainer would be to add Omega as a super boss. We even have a sealed door that could be used for that. Come on Square, do it.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Not really exciting since the world and Clive aren't interesting.

Maybe the DLC will help, though 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 128578

Dec 2, 2022
Not surprised they're doubling down on Clive but hearing them confirm it just obliterates any shred of interest I had in possibly coming back for DLC. There's so many other characters that get shafted in the main game and the DLC was a chance to change that but I guess we'll just keep following the most boring character in the game.

OP
OP
Izanagi89

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that doesn't mean it'll take place during the time he's a slave.

Could be but gameplay wise I don't see how it'll work as Clive can't really do much combat wise. Maybe it takes place during the
second timeskip?
But I don't feel like a lot happened during that time to warrant expanding on. I'm so curious where this DLC is going to take place lol

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
This. Ff16 Is too clive focused. Dlc doubles down....

Agreed, but generally speaking DLC of this kinda takes place before the end of the game.
As Clive is the only playable character I guess that's the route they're going for.

I'd be happier with anyone else. Just give me 2 hours with Torgal even.

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
Considering the design of the Fallen the absolute no-brainer would be to add Omega as a super boss. We even have a sealed door that could be used for that. Come on Square, do it.
That door 100% will be arena or dungeon. Way too sus.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Awesome! Clive is one of my favorite FF protagonists. Right up there with Cloud and Aerith and company. Plus it is my favorite FF thus far so looking forward to more to experience!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
More Clive and Darkness....guess we will have to wait for XVII for a potentially more upbeat mainline FF and cast lol.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
Clive is such a bad hang. Understandably dour at the start of the story but just such a bummer to spend 50+ hrs with (especially given the lack of 'being in a party' feel in this game).

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
... I'd have rather had some Jill focus, a character sorely needing it. Or Dion, my favorite. But more Clive...yay.

(give me a Tonberry, a post game dungeon, and a couple proper superbosses though and I'm in.)

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it might take place during the first time skip but also kinda doubting that since that's when the gameplay is at its most basic and boring.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely didn't want to do that for a DLC, no. That's a huge waste of effort and energy for a tiny slice of content.

Rather play a Torgal DLC than more Clive. Bladewolf 2.0.

Yes, for a character who would be playable in the next game. That was basically pre-work for Rebirth.

MGR added two, DMC4 added 3. You could say its not replayable like typical character action but it would certainly be more interesting. The models and a bunch of animations are already in the game for other characters!

Obviously it was going to be Clive. The way they're describing it just sounds like the most boring thing.

OP
OP
Izanagi89

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
They definitely didn't want to do that for a DLC, no. That's a huge waste of effort and energy for a tiny slice of content.

I wonder if they even wanted to do DLC in the first place. I guess you can't take everything they say at face value, but Yoshi-P did say before the release of the game that there's no DLC planned. Now, I think he probably said that because he wanted to assuage fears after XV's DLC debacle lol But RE Village's director said fan reaction caused them to add DLC so could be the same. Either way, I do agree that from a dev perspective, Clive makes the most sense. Disappointing but making another playable character is a hell of a lot of work.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I'm down for it, hopefully they expand on clive's base moveset instead of just adding in more eikon abilities which I'm sure they'll do with leviathan

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they even wanted to do DLC in the first place. I guess you can't take everything they say at face value, but Yoshi-P did say before the release of the game that there's no DLC planned. Now, I think he probably said that because he wanted to assuage fears after XV's DLC debacle lol But RE Village's director said fan reaction caused them to add DLC so could be the same. Either way, I do agree that from a dev perspective, Clive makes the most sense. Disappointing but making another playable character is a hell of a lot of work.

I have a feeling it was always meant to be "look we're not like FF15! trust us!" manipulation, and they always planned to do DLC. The game didn't sell overwhelmingly well enough for them to pivot into ADDING budget for DLC - that budget was already allocated pre-launch.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Didn't they say they have a months-long plan or whatever in place to keep the sales going for the game, hard to imagine how they'd accomplish that without DLC to maintain interest

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
my bet: one of them will be about
Clive's mother.
Rosalia's women kidnapped by the Iron Kingdom was one of the few thing left strangely open

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling it was always meant to be "look we're not like FF15! trust us!" manipulation, and they always planned to do DLC. The game didn't sell overwhelmingly well enough for them to pivot into ADDING budget for DLC - that budget was already allocated pre-launch.

Yea given what we know about how budget conscious they are, suddenly adding DLC they didn't intend to doesn't make much sense

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
Ofc I'm also in for the story but gameplay changes, additions and new boss battles are the things I'm most excited about. I would love if one of the DLC would be like the KH3 ReMind DLC.

Yea given what we know about how budget conscious they are, suddenly adding DLC they didn't intend to doesn't make much sense
They never said there won't be a DLC. They just said pre release that they have nothing to announce but they would like to make DLCs.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Just give me a KH2 style boss room please

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Im disappointed because I wanted dlc about other characters like jill and joshua but im interested in these new dlc enemies

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the main protagonists in the main FF games are the center of the universe. It makes sense to focus more on Clive.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of DLC for this kind of games, especially after the XV fiasco. You can't fix a mediocre story with DLC, and even if they did what everyone wants (Dion and/or Jill DLC) the base in which to build is extremely weak.

Honestly, I'd rather have a DLC that focus on making the game more replayable (more enemies, level up abilities, colosseum arena).

Let's move on to XVII asap please.

OP
OP
Izanagi89

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they say they have a months-long plan or whatever in place to keep the sales going for the game, hard to imagine how they'd accomplish that without DLC to maintain interest

I always took that as a Xbox and PC port, but he said in one interview that they wanted to create a complete game without DLC but fan feedback made them reconsider adding DLC, or something along those lines. But yeah, like PlanetSmasher said that budget was probably allocated to DLC a while ago already and they probably always had plans for it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
More Clive and Darkness....guess we will have to wait for XVII for a potentially more upbeat mainline FF and cast lol.

I loved FFXVI but it did give me some serious fatigue with overemphasis on a single character. The combat is practically fine tuned to eventually draw attention to the absence of any real party system and the story also has you begging the game to give more attention to other characters. Very much hoping for the next one to be a big change of pace all around.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I loved FFXVI but it did give me some serious fatigue with overemphasis on a single character. The combat is practically fine tuned to eventually draw attention to the absence of any real party system and the story also has you begging the game to give more attention to other characters. Very much hoping for next one to be a big change of pace all around.

Yup. They need to remember how important party dynamics are to making players vibe with a game. 60 hours of over-focus on one guy is exhausting.