• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correctly, I read that the Roman Colosseum was used mostly for naval battles.
Though it might've been used to reenact some naval battles early on (which is the subject of some debate), the original Colosseum floor was soon replaced by levels of subterranean passages which would've made it impossible.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Related to the "living relatives" thing, Arthur Wellesley, the Earl of Mornington and direct descendant of the Duke of Wellington (and current heir to the Duke of Wellington title) is an investment banker in London. One of his direct competitors at a rival London firm is Jean-Christophe Napoleon Bonaparte, direct descendant of Napoleon Bonaparte. Though they compete in business, the two are apparently good friends.

I learnt this when I dealt with Arthur in a business deal a few years ago and did my due diligence before getting in touch. He was a very nice chap to me.

A grandson of one of Napoleon's brothers (who ruled one of the Bonapartist kingdoms) became Theodore Roosevelt's Secretary of the Navy, and then Attorney General.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Joseph_Bonaparte

Reading up on that on Wikipedia, Charles Bonaparte's late grand uncle's widow married the older brother of the Duke of Wellington.

Basically the widow of Napoleon's brother in law married the Duke of Wellingtons older brother in her second marriage.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There's nothing really weird about that. During the time she was alive she was simply a regular girl. There would be no reason to film her in particular.

She only became well-known once her writings were discovered, but that happened after her and most of her family already perished in the concentration camps.
I think it's crazy in the sense that someone not yet famous gets to be in a video in 1941. What a treat this video is.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a period of around 18 years where one of the Wright brothers and Neil Armstrong were alive at the same time

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brites de Almeida is said to have been born in Faro, Algarve, in 1350, to poor parents. According to the legend she had six fingers on each hand. After both of her parents died, she sold her few possessions and began to travel. There are many stories about her life after she left home in her twenties. One says that she became a muleteer and that she killed a suitor in a fight. Another that she was on a boat attacked by Algerian pirates who sold her as a slave to the Imperial Harem in Algiers, from which she escaped. It is also said that she travelled in Portugal disguised as a man. She ended up settling in Aljubarrota, where she became a bakery owner and married a local farmer. Her bread was supposed to be the best in the country.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP]

After their defeat in the Battle of Aljubarrota, the Castilian soldiers in flight were attacked and killed by the local inhabitants. According to the story, seven or eight of them found shelter at Brites' bakery, which was empty because she had gone out to help to kill the soldiers. On her return she found the door closed and suspected the presence of enemies. She found the men hiding in her baker's oven and killed them with a shovel. She then cooked them in the oven along with the bread.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP]

Although it is undeniable that the story was a legend, Brites de Almeida came to be celebrated by the Portuguese in their songs and traditional stories and her deeds have remained as a symbol of Portugal's independence.[SUP][2][/SUP] She was commemorated in a 1927 Portuguese postage stamp.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There was a period of around 18 years where one of the Wright brothers and Neil Armstrong were alive at the same time
A lot happened in a very short time period, when you think about it. My great-grandmother saw the invention of the first horseless carriages and also saw man walk on the moon.

I remember her rambling at one point about how her uncle lost his right arm in the Civil War. Turns out it wasn't her uncle, it was her father. Here I am, a dumb kid listening to his great-grandma ramble on about ancient history, having no idea that I should be asking her about all the things she'd seen. Probably would have blown my little mind. Even now I can hardly wrap my head around personally knowing someone who, in turn, personally knew someone who fought in the Civil War.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
While Alexander the Great died young, several of his Generals kept warring for his empire for years, in part until old age. Antigonos the one-eyed was killed in battle at 80/81, Lysimachus was killed und battle at 79 and Seleucus was assassinated at 77 while on route to invade Macedonia.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
During the late Paleozoic to late Triassic, our continents were all merged together. It was a supercontinent known as Pangea. Traveling must of been so nice and simple back then. Dinosaurs had it good

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
By the same notion, if you compressed Earth's history into a year, dinosaurs would have only existed for most of December before going extinct (roughly Christmas) and homo sapiens would have only existed for the last 12 hours of New Year's Eve.
Slight correction: 12 hours refers to the earliest walking hominids. Homo sapiens makes up roughly the last 25 minutes of NYE. According to this anyway:

Evolutionary-Timeline-Biomimicry38-copy-956x1024.jpg

Morrigan

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People tend to mix-up Olympiad with the Olympic Games, an Olympiad is the time that passes between every Olympic Game.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
During the late Paleozoic to late Triassic, our continents were all merged together. It was a supercontinent known as Pangea. Traveling must of been so nice and simple back then. Dinosaurs had it good
Having a single giant continent meant there was no way for the water cycle to work for large parts of the world's landmass that wasn't near the coastline. At best, you had fertile river valleys like the Nile breaking up the vast deserts that made up the interior.

Also, with no landmasses to slow them down, hypercanes formed on the world sea and regularly hit the coast like the fist of an angry god.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
European mercenaries of the Renaissance era would have considered outlandish JRPG character designs peak military aesthetics.

landsknecht-history-pikeman-facts-min.jpg

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
It blows my mind that Winston Churchill fought in his first battle (The Battle of Omdurman) wielding a lance on horseback.

Ones I learned from Epic Rap Battles of History:
• Thomas Jefferson invented the swivel chair.
• Before she was a cook, Julia Child worked for the OSS (predecessor to the CIA) where she helped develop shark repellent to protect US naval mines from being detonated by curious sharks.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
European mercenaries of the Renaissance era would have considered outlandish JRPG character designs peak military aesthetics.

landsknecht-history-pikeman-facts-min.jpg

Their clothes were outlandish because they only had a few things to spend their salaries on. It also became something of a competition among the mercenaries to have the most extreme clothes. For a period of time in the 17th century their pant legs increased in size until they merged into a single pant leg. In other words: for a short while the height of mercenary fashion was to wear a skirt.

Salt was the first white gold, sugar was the second. The average person in the Middle Ages had much healthier teeth than the people who came after them.

Oct 28, 2017
When Guglielmo Marconi showed of the new wireless telegraph in a fancy public ceremony in 1903, the British magician Nevil Maskelyne hacked into Marconis frequency and made the telegraph repeat the word "rat" in front of a dewilded audience. After that Maskelyne sent a poem that boiled down to calling Marconi a liar for all to hear.

Maskelyne later explained that he did it to show that Marconis claims about the telegraph being a private and secure system was far from true. The incident is usually considering the first instance of hacking in history.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Finally made it through this thread. Watched!

95% of the human history, people worked 15h or less per week.
Yes, people didn't had off on weekends in the past, but they had so many holidays, more then we have weekends

I was learning about Medieval life recently.

The thing that factored in there was basically the weather. Firstly the moment it's dark, you're going back to your home until it's light again. Secondly if you're in a territory with seasonal weather, that's somewhere between 25-50% of the year taken out as temperate enough for work.

Honestly it sounded boring AF.

Slight correction: 12 hours refers to the earliest walking hominids. Homo sapiens makes up roughly the last 25 minutes of NYE. According to this anyway:

Evolutionary-Timeline-Biomimicry38-copy-956x1024.jpg

The thing I take away from this isn't human accomplishment in the last hour, it's how quickly life appeared after the Earth formed.

Morrigan

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The thing I take away from this isn't human accomplishment in the last hour, it's how quickly life appeared after the Earth formed.
Yeah it's surprising, I thought it was several billions of years without life too, but bearing in mind that for a long long part of life's history on Earth it was still just unicellular, that's less surprising. It took until "August" of the metaphorical year for multi-cell organisms to appear, and those were still just mostly micro-organisms. Fungi, fish, insects and plants only appeared in November. :O