Status
Not open for further replies.

Drillow

Oct 27, 2017
Wow thats cool! I played the first three levels and its really well done! I especially liked the soundtrack, very cool music :)

Is there a similar scene still going for the GBA? I was doing some homebrew stuff on my GBA back then and I have very fond memories of that :)

Also, interesting to see that there is so much Tool support for developing GB games. I looked for SNES toolkits a few month back and could only find very basic stuff and the coding was all done in ASM. I think it would be an interesting challenge as well.

Anyway, congrats on the very cool game!

I'm glad you liked the game! :D

Yes, there is also an active scene for GBA but since there's not an equivalent for GBStudio (meaning a tool which does not require programming code), it's not so popular. At least for the moment.
This year was GBA Jam 2021 on Itch.io and some of the entries (such as Varooom 3D) are mind-blowing.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I'm glad you liked the game! :D

Yes, there is also an active scene for GBA but since there's not an equivalent for GBStudio (meaning a tool which does not require programming code), it's not so popular. At least for the moment.
This year was GBA Jam 2021 on Itch.io and some of the entries (such as Varooom 3D) are mind-blowing.
Wow, yea ok, these games are certainly more advanced than what I was doing :D Cool to see! I remember that you could totally tank the framerate when you would do a just few floating point operations per frame, so its really impressive that they managed to do realtime 3D rendering! I guess everything is based on fixed-point math

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
A little late to the party but I had to share my animation which I spent too much time on this week. Still gotta learn how to work with animation curves.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ludum Dare results came in
FCRLRSYX0AAVtRX

Puts me right in the middle of the pack and top 10% for humor lol. Satisfied and it's good to know I'm at least funny lmao

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wandering about going into game dev as a hobby, maybe as a way to learn how to code (specially to see if I'm actually interested in coding), but got no clue where to start. I download Unity, only own a Macbook Pro, plan to do mostly 2D adventure games with some style.

Do you know any good courses to learn how to use and develop games using Unity?

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
I'm wandering about going into game dev as a hobby, maybe as a way to learn how to code (specially to see if I'm actually interested in coding), but got no clue where to start. I download Unity, only own a Macbook Pro, plan to do mostly 2D adventure games with some style.

I've found Catlike Coding to be a good help.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Here!
www.resetera.com

Painlessly learn to make games with free online university courses and more

Do you want to learn game development but your budget is literally zero? Have you wanted to learn how to make a game for a while, but don't know where to even start? Are you intimidated by the more technical parts of game development? If the answer to any of the above is "yes", then this is the...

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Humble have a Unity bundle right now. If you're willing to shell out for the whole bundle.
it's all from GameDev.tv. I've done a couple of thier courses, they are very easy to follow and teach quite well, they just updated the 2D course to Unity 2021. That's the best part about these courses, they constantly update them to newer versions and it's a free update to current owners.

Hard to say no to Weltall Zero's free courses though.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Hey guys, I've been really curious to try making a fun little passion project in UE4. I have experience with coding ( Have a degree in CS and web dev is my field) so that's not an issue but I'm really not a particularly artistically minded person lol. I've looked it up and I might even be willing to learn how to animate characters but creating models/textures and the like seems to be way beyond my scope.

Is it still worth pursuing or am I pretty much gonna have to master a few skillsets to pull that off? Worth noting that this is just for fun, not planning on making this my day job or anything.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I've found Catlike Coding to be a good help.

Here!
www.resetera.com

Painlessly learn to make games with free online university courses and more

Do you want to learn game development but your budget is literally zero? Have you wanted to learn how to make a game for a while, but don't know where to even start? Are you intimidated by the more technical parts of game development? If the answer to any of the above is "yes", then this is the...

Humble have a Unity bundle right now. If you're willing to shell out for the whole bundle.
it's all from GameDev.tv. I've done a couple of thier courses, they are very easy to follow and teach quite well, they just updated the 2D course to Unity 2021. That's the best part about these courses, they constantly update them to newer versions and it's a free update to current owners.

Hard to say no to Weltall Zero's free courses though.

Thanks a lot folks! Will check those out and decide which suits me best :)

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey guys, I've been really curious to try making a fun little passion project in UE4. I have experience with coding ( Have a degree in CS and web dev is my field) so that's not an issue but I'm really not a particularly artistically minded person lol. I've looked it up and I might even be willing to learn how to animate characters but creating models/textures and the like seems to be way beyond my scope.

Is it still worth pursuing or am I pretty much gonna have to master a few skillsets to pull that off? Worth noting that this is just for fun, not planning on making this my day job or anything.
I would go with Unity. More free stuff in their asset store

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Is it still worth pursuing or am I pretty much gonna have to master a few skillsets to pull that off?
These two sentences are not necessarily mutually exclusive! :) I had a ton of fun learning to make (more or less functional) sprites. Of course if you go 3D that's a few more skills you need. The one skill I did not expect to be so demanding is game design itself, especially if you want to make something more or less unique as opposed to cloning an existing game or very formulaic genre.

I would definitely go with Unity if you plan on coding (i.e. not using Blueprints) and come from a web dev background. Unreal uses C++ for coding which is considerably more "down to the metal" than Java / C#; e.g. memory is manually managed instead of garbage collected.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
When I started to work in JavaScript, I used to absolutely hate it and how chaotic it was. A few years later, and I find myself going back to it when I want to do some stress-free coding instead. Not that there is anything bad in the stricter structure of C++ and C#, but I find myself mostly fighting the engine when working in Unity, and to a lesser extent in Unreal.

Wanting to do some stress free coding is how I ended up spending plenty of free time making a little HTML5 game where I just wanted was "a ton of enemies and a ton of pickups". I slapped a Castlevania-inspired asset pack I bought years ago on the prototype and so from there it started to move in a Castlevania-themed direction too.

This is where it is at now:

poncle.itch.io

Vampire Survivors by poncle

Mow thousands of night creatures and survive until dawn!

63f93a82-78d8-46f7-94a1-e56838fa94b6.gif

Thre's already a Windows version that I hope will releases on Steam soon

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if other people are doing the PitchYaGame stuff today. Here's mine:

Spent the last week getting something ready for it. Learnt alot about the state of the game. I realised how much of a pain it is to work in currently. Noted it all down and planning on building myself some custom tooling at some point.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Ah crap, it's PYG already? Don't think I'll be able to get anything ready for this one.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Hey all! I am back again and happy to share this brand new tutorial! Today we learn all about State Machines for a second time, and take our knowledge to the next level with our first attempt at a Hierarchical State Machine implementation!

This video covers a bunch of new topics in addition to the the Hierarchical aspects of a state machine! We'll talk about c# naming conventions, implement a state factory, start using Getter and Setters methods and more!

As always, I hope this tutorial helps you on your gamedev journeys and I can't wait to share more soon!

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone!!
My friend and I have been working on a game for a couple of years and we're finally ready to show it. !!!

The game is called Bio-Gun and you play as a Vaccine (I swear we started working on the game years ago Covid is a big coincidence). Traditional 2d animated Metroidvania with an emphasis on speed and charm.

If anyone is interested in checking how it plays I can give you access to the beta just DM me.

any feedback is appreciated :)

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone!!
My friend and I have been working on a game for a couple of years and we're finally ready to show it. !!!

The game is called Bio-Gun and you play as a Vaccine (I swear we started working on the game years ago Covid is a big coincidence). Traditional 2d animated Metroidvania with an emphasis on speed and charm.

If anyone is interested in checking how it plays I can give you access to the beta just DM me.

That looks dope as hell. Congrats on (near) completion! Honestly I have no critique about what you showed there. I really love how fast it looks. If the level design is good I think you could have a classic on your hands.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That looks dope as hell. Congrats on (near) completion! Honestly I have no critique about what you showed there. I really love how fast it looks. If the level design is good I think you could have a classic on your hands.
Thank you :)
We're not anywhere near completion, in fact, we believe we'll need another year to finish.
If the level design is good I think you could have a classic on your hands.
That would be awesome :) I'm not dreaming too big, I'll just be happy with having a good game that people enjoy :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hi everyone!!

This looks frankly amazing, and potentially educational as well! The moment I saw a bacteriophage I was sold. I can't help but be humbled by the stuff people make in this thread.

I'll PM you for a key once I have a bit more time to give it a test. Paging Lactose as well. :)

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Hi everyone!!

This looks amazing! Really clean graphics with personality, movement looks tight and fun and the setting is something fresh (yea, COVID sucks for that but still).
Which platforms are you developing it for? I only have a Mac at home so if that something you (want to) support then I'm very interested :)

Oct 26, 2017
Hi everyone!!

Looks very slick! A good trailer too, which if often tricky to pull off, hope it all goes well :)

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This looks amazing! Really clean graphics with personality, movement looks tight and fun and the setting is something fresh (yea, COVID sucks for that but still).
Which platforms are you developing it for? I only have a Mac at home so if that something you (want to) support then I'm very interested :)
We're planning to port it to everything, but since there are only 2 of us we're focusing only on pc while making the game then we'll send it to a company that specializes in porting games.
:)

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hi everyone!!

That looks great!
Are the platforms decided yet?

Edit: Answered

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We're planning to port it to everything, but since there are only 2 of us we're focusing only on pc while making the game then we'll send it to a company that specializes in porting games.
I wonder how much such companies ask for; let me know when you know. It was pretty easy to port Divinoids to Switch and now I'm wondering if I should port other people's games, hahah.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much such companies ask for; let me know when you know. It was pretty easy to port Divinoids to Switch and now I'm wondering if I should port other people's games, hahah.
I didn't sign any waiver or anything but I'm not sure I should discuss it out in the open so I'll DM you how much they're charging us.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Okay that sounds good! Do you use any common engine like Unity? If so porting it should hopefully not be too hard. Wish you the best of luck and keep us updated on your progress! If you need a tester or some insight on Mac and/or iOS just HMU

chris-013

Mar 4, 2018
Hi everyone!!

Very nice trailer ! I love the arts.

Are you the artist ? Or you both worked on the arts ?

I'm looking for an 2D artist/animators on my project because I progressed a lot last year but I'm still not good enough for a lot of things and I think it will be a lot better for me if I work on the programming/game design and later on community/marketing.

What game engine are you using ? I guess not Unity because you will not have many issues for porting the game.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay that sounds good! Do you use any common engine like Unity? =
What game engine are you using ? I guess not Unity because you will not have many issues for porting the game.
The engine is Construct3
Really nice engine if you don't have any experience programming. Of course, it comes with the tremendous downside of us needing to hire a company to port the game.
If you need a tester or some insight on Mac and/or iOS just HMU
I'll be sure to reach out when we have the Mac Beta thanks :)
Are you the artist ? Or you both worked on the arts ?
We both work on the arts, tho I have to adhere to his style which takes time LOL. Around one-third of the art is mine since he can draw his own style so much faster.
I'm looking for an 2D artist/animators on my project because I progressed a lot last year but I'm still not good enough for a lot of things and I think it will be a lot better for me if I work on the programming/game design and later on community/marketing.
We actually hired one not too long ago, she has been a great help. We only have enough budget to keep her 4 more months but I'm kinda looking for financing or something to keep her longer she has speeded up the process tremendously. I'm not sure we can reach our next year goal if we have to let her go.

chris-013

Mar 4, 2018
We actually hired one not too long ago, she has been a great help. We only have enough budget to keep her 4 more months but I'm kinda looking for financing or something to keep her longer she has speeded up the process tremendously. I'm not sure we can reach our next year goal if we have to let her go.

Wow, so 3 artists... if it's not too much to ask, can you DM me how much it costs to hire an artist and where did you recruited her ?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Been a while since I've done a #screenshotsaturday so here it is. Progress is slow, but I do a little bit each day. Slow and steady.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Proud of my high school senior class that within a 1.5 months most were able to go from not knowing how to make any game to having some prototypes done!

Most are very incomplete or prototypes, but a big portion of the project was for them to experience a condensed game development cycle from concept to reality.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Figured I'd drop by, prove I'm still alive and still working on things - Well, now that my company finally doesn't have multiple upcoming project launches I need to be under crunch for and I'm not seeing a constant stream of bug-report tickets, I think I can finally put some passion into my VR project again without feeling completely burnt out - Decided to do some modelling for a little warmup and...

Oh dear, I think I noticed "Diagram not to scale" on that .45ACP blueprint a little too late

unknown.png

Well, who's going to notice that the magazine is slightly thiccer on the Y-Axis than it is IRL and thus bleeds into where the Hammer's spring is supposed to be? (Knowing how some VR nerds are, that Who list will probably be in excess of 1)

Just wait till they see what I already intend to do to the SMLE.

I would definitely go with Unity if you plan on coding (i.e. not using Blueprints) and come from a web dev background. Unreal uses C++ for coding which is considerably more "down to the metal" than Java / C#; e.g. memory is manually managed instead of garbage collected.

Also I should note that despite using a C++ API, Unreal actually does have a Garbage Collection system - You just need to play by its rules instead of standard C++ practices. C++ isn't really all that esoteric next to C# anyway, particularly when using Unreal's frameworks.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Also I should note that despite using a C++ API, Unreal actually does have a Garbage Collection system - You just need to play by its rules instead of standard C++ practices. C++ isn't really all that esoteric next to C# anyway, particularly when using Unreal's frameworks.
Wat. My life is a lie. :O

I'm now curious what "its rules" are!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i was messing around with twine, but i think for what I actually want to build I should just skip that and go straight to messing with godot for a bit. Sure hope anything I learn there is transferrable later! But maybe making something for its own sake will be interesting too

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious, is that middle enemy an homage to Aloy from Horizon?

That animation looks really great.

Thanks! And not really! But fun fact, Aloy was used as one of the inspirations behind Lambda (the main character), and so was Ygritte from Game of Thrones (specially the hair not getting in the way of her face in combat).

Oh that's pretty slick, especially with the clouds coming in.

Thanks! :)

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! And not really! But fun fact, Aloy was used as one of the inspirations behind Lambda (the main character), and so was Ygritte from Game of Thrones (specially the hair not getting in the way of her face in combat).

Thanks! :)

By the way, what RPG Maker are you using? I know the latest one has a new animation system, but I haven't used it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.