Status
Not open for further replies.

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Bummed about the delay, but i'd rather have them delay it then put out a half baked game.

I know that J.K Rowling is a monster, but im not going to let her ruin something thats so important to me. I have so many good memories i have about harry potter that involve my parents that its just hard to throw that stuff to the side.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Bummed about the delay, but i'd rather have them delay it then put out a half baked game.

I know that J.K Rowling is a monster, but im not going to let her ruin something thats so important to me. I have so many good memories i have about harry potter that involve my parents that its just hard to throw that stuff to the side.
Cherishing memories of the series can be done without buying the hot new video game.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I get that, but I feel like cancelling the game punishes the fans way more than it punishes JK.
Lotta trans people grew up loving this series and finding comfort in it. Those trans fans have been doubly harmed by Rowling's full-throated advocacy against them and their existence, losing both a series they loved, and having to contend with the damage Rowling is doing to their civil rights. If you really want to worry about the fans, you should worry about those ones.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
This delay is less "the game isn't ready", and more "the biggest PR company in the world wants it delayed so they can do major positioning work throughout 2021 for the overall franchise so this game and the next movie launch with minimal backlash".

Considering how many games have been impacted by the pandemic I'm not so sure if that's the case.

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no way they're gonna delay the game because of that.
The game could drop today and nobody would care about the JK stuff, they dont have to wait a year for that.
CyberPunk got away with it, and it's a game with actual transphobic content and a transphobic company behind it.
With Hogwarts Legacy, they can just go for the "it's a game made by a group of good people, not to mention JK isn't involved" rethoric and be fine.

I mean, I never thought the game was coming this year, from where development started, and being a big IP, and AAA and having to launch for current and next-gen, and then you add Covid and it's not a big surprise.

I did say 'partly'.

I agree that they didn't/don't need to delay simply because of that reason because people will still buy it, but I absolutely disgaree that it had zero to do with it.

Aug 10, 2019
Lotta trans people grew up loving this series and finding comfort in it. Those trans fans have been doubly harmed by Rowling's full-throated advocacy against them and their existence, losing both a series they loved, and having to contend with the damage Rowling is doing to their civil rights. If you really want to worry about the fans, you should worry about those ones.
Where does this line of thinking end though? Should we boycott Disney because Walt was a racist Nazi sympathizer? Should we ban Pulp Fiction because Weinstein produced it? Should Seinfeld be forever shelved because of the racist actions of Micheal Richards?

J.K. Rowling is a flawed human being who has said terrible things, but she's also brought joy to 100's of millions of people. Is it the right choice to condemn all the good she brought to the world because of the bad she brought as well? Isn't it possible to separate the two?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
J.K. Rowling is a flawed human being who has said terrible things
..tad bit more than that:

Through the significance afforded to her by the Harry Potter IP, JK Rowling:
  • Has repeatedly sent out and echoed transphobic rhetoric.
  • Relates transition to being a new form of gay conversion therapy, one that should be further restricted.
  • Has driven trans children to self harm and suicide.
  • Has given voice, promotion and platform to numerous transphobes and large anti-trans groups.
  • Led a revolt that saw GRA reform scrapped, despite a 70% approval rating prior.
  • Added to a pressure that resulted in links to support systems for vulnerable trans children being removed by the BBC.
  • Has grown an influence that saw trans teenagers face further restrictions in accessing puberty blockers.
  • Has been cited by foreign politicians in their own bids to restrict trans rights, healthcare access and freedoms.
  • Poisoned discourse around trans access to bathrooms.
She is actively destructive to trans lives. Especially those in the UK, and of younger people looking to live as themselves. An utterly vile and contemptible woman.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thanks as always Kyuuji. If ever there was a game for this forum as a whole to refuse to feed into the pre-release hype, it's this one.

Hopefully the admins and mods learned their lesson from Cyberpunk and those hype threads are not a thing for this game. This game is worse than Cyberpunk I think since the creator is even more blatant with her transphobia than CDPR (which is an "accomplishment").

Aug 10, 2019
..tad bit more than that:

Through the significance afforded to her by the Harry Potter IP, JK Rowling:
  • Has repeatedly sent out and echoed transphobic rhetoric.
  • Relates transition to being a new form of gay conversion therapy, one that should be further restricted.
  • Has driven trans children to self harm and suicide.
  • Has given voice, promotion and platform to numerous transphobes and large anti-trans groups.
  • Led a revolt that saw GRA reform scrapped, despite a 70% approval rating prior.
  • Added to a pressure that resulted in links to support systems for vulnerable trans children being removed by the BBC.
  • Has grown an influence that saw trans teenagers face further restrictions in accessing puberty blockers.
  • Has been cited by foreign politicians in their own bids to restrict trans rights, healthcare access and freedoms.
  • Poisoned discourse around trans access to bathrooms.
She is actively destructive to trans lives. Especially those in the UK, and of younger people looking to live as themselves. An utterly vile and contemptible woman.
I'm not defending her actions Kyuuji, she's done terrible things. I'm just asking if the Wizarding World has to be squelched as opposed to her being held accountable.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not defending her actions Kyuuji, she's done terrible things. I'm just asking if the Wizarding World has to be squelched as opposed to her being held accountable.
An IP that contributes to her ability to do all of those things and more is one I'm not going to give a fuck about. This is coming from someone that was a significant fan of Harry Potter and grew up with the franchise. Choosing not to contribute to its continued success isn't what killed the fond memories of it for me, having the creator of it wield its success as a means to endanger trans lives, restrict our rights and poison discourse around me did.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Bold move to delay this game ... this gives JK even more time to destroy her image and be a bigot ... which can mean she might show her true colors with racism or gay rights

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We should have a separed thread about JK just like we have for CPDR

im excited about this game and i hate her

Aug 10, 2019
An IP that contributes to her ability to do all of those things and more is one I'm not going to give a fuck about. This is coming from someone that was a significant fan of Harry Potter and grew up with the franchise.
What about the actors and producers who have denounced her actions? Or all the people who worked on the films who don't share her views? I get that she profits off the IP, but isn't the IP larger than just her now? Doesn't the IP also belong to the hundreds of people who helped make the books, or the thousands of people who made the films, or the millions of people who are fans?

Is it conceivable to condemn J.K. Rowling's actions but still love's the Wizarding World?

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where does this line of thinking end though? Should we boycott Disney because Walt was a racist Nazi sympathizer? Should we ban Pulp Fiction because Weinstein produced it? Should Seinfeld be forever shelved because of the racist actions of Micheal Richards?

J.K. Rowling is a flawed human being who has said terrible things, but she's also brought joy to 100's of millions of people. Is it the right choice to condemn all the good she brought to the world because of the bad she brought as well? Isn't it possible to separate the two?

The difference is Walt isn't alive to share his Nazi-sympathizing thoughts and profit off of it all. If he were alive, it would be a whole other situation.

JK Rowling gains notoriety and money from the success of her IP. She uses that money and fame to lobby against trans rights. By continuing to support her IP, you are directly contributing to maintaining her fame and wealth.

Weinstein is ruined and has gone to prison. What a poor example.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What about the actors and producers who have denounced her actions? Or all the people who worked on the films who don't share her views? I get that she profits off the IP, but isn't the IP larger than just her now? Doesn't the IP also belong to the hundreds of people who helped make the books, or the thousands of people who made the films, or the millions of people who are fans?

Is it conceivable to condemn J.K. Rowling's actions but still love's the Wizarding World?
What about them? No, it isn't larger than her nor does it belong to the fans because we don't live in Hogwarts or another fantasy world, we live in the real one. Yes it's obviously conceivable to still love the Wizarding World and condemn JK Rowling, just not directly support and contribute to its success and prevalence.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We should have a separed thread about JK just like we have for CPDR

im excited about this game and i hate her

We do, but pigeon-holing discussion of her beliefs into one topic so people can be blissfully ignorant about her transphobia in other topics related to the Wizarding World IP is not how things should go.

Sams

Oct 27, 2017
Super excited for this game. Hopefully the team can take as much time as they need to make this really special.

Aug 10, 2019
The difference is Walt isn't alive to share his Nazi-sympathizing thoughts and profit off of it all. If he were alive, it would be a whole other situation.

JK Rowling gains notoriety and money from the success of her IP. She uses that money and fame to lobby against trans rights. By continuing to support her IP, you are directly contributing to maintaining her fame and wealth.

Weinstein is ruined and has gone to prison. What a poor example.
That's a good point about Weinstein, but you're focusing on the specifics of my query as opposed to the heart of the question. What successful company doesn't employ horrible tactics and/or horrible people, and should we boycott them all?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's a good point about Weinstein, but you're focusing on the specifics of my query as opposed to the heart of the question. What successful company doesn't employ horrible tactics and/or horrible people, and should we boycott them all?
This argument is one that's used to dissuade people from action, not one to push for progress. The notion that we shouldn't push back against bigotry unless we are able to address all bigotry, everywhere, at the same time, in equal amounts, is a fundamentally moronic point. Do you employ this same line of reasoning toward all those you see pushing back against people causing direct harm to minorities? If not, why do you feel the need to invoke it here?

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It isn't about boycotting them all, but limiting your monetary investment in these companies and businesses that hire awful people or use horrible tactics. Some companies cannot be avoided, and in those cases it is still important to bring up the horrible things these people do. Frivolous entertainment like video games, books, TV shows, and films, though? That's easy to avoid. You can choose what you consume in this case. By choosing to buy this game knowing what you know about the creator of the IP and how she wields her influence against the trans community, you are actively supporting a terrible person.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
If they are the primary creative force behind the existence of the IP and thus stand to gain the most by having it spin off into more and more products, I would say yes, absolutely. I don't think that people would be this eager to defend Harry Potter if Rowling were an unabashed white supremacist or something similar.

Aug 10, 2019
This argument is one that's used to dissuade people from action, not one to push for progress. The notion that we shouldn't push back against bigotry unless we are able to address all bigotry, everywhere, at the same time, in equal amounts is a fundamentally moronic point. Do you employ this same line of reasoning toward all those you see pushing back against people causing direct harm to minorities?
I'm not arguing against holding J.K. Rowling culpable for her actions, I'm arguing that the art is separate from the artist.

Aug 10, 2019
If they are the primary creative force behind the existence of the IP and thus stand to gain the most by having it spin off into more and more products, I would say yes, absolutely. I don't think that people would be this eager to defend Harry Potter if Rowling were an unabashed white supremacist or something similar.
In my opinion pedophillia is the absolute lowest thing a human being can do, but I still fucking love the album Thriller.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not arguing against holding J.K. Rowling culpable for her actions, I'm arguing that the art is separate from the artist.
The Harry Potter IP isn't separate from JK Rowling. Not exactly a difficult thing to understand when she's out there actively wielding the influence and fanbase it currently affords her against trans people.

In my opinion pedophillia is the absolute lowest thing a human being can do, but I still fucking love the album Thriller.
Ok.. weird point to throw out with pride. Michael Jackson might be dead but his victims aren't. Makes it more complex perhaps than Rowling, but I certainly avoid his music now and think it's relatively poor to show unabashed adoration for him and his music, knowing he was using the influence it afforded him to rape children.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

I mean you can't, it's impossible.

The money you give to this game would end up in her hands, and she will use that money to actively further her agenda.

If nothing else you'll have a whole year to think about this before making a decision.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Harry Potter is JK Rowling, though. Perhaps if this were 30 years in the future where she's stepped out of the limelight and the franchise has grown apart from her influence and ideas and she doesn't receive that much money due to her diminished role, sure. That'd be a fair argument. This isn't that, though. She has a very active role in how her IP is handled still and is the face of Harry Potter. It is her brainchild. She made it. There is no separating her ideals from these things.

Hogwarts Legacy might be a bit more distant in the fact that she is not involved directly in its creation and development, but she's the one who is going to make the most money off of it after the developer and publisher get their cut. It's her IP. The money will then get funned into more of her TERFy bullshit.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
No problem at all. I am in no hurry to buy another game right away. The next two things I buy are Kena and Mass Effect Trilogy. There is no need for this game (or the Batman games IMO), until 2022 or beyond. But this is just my opinion.

Aug 10, 2019
The Harry Potter IP isn't separate from JK Rowling. Not exactly a difficult thing to understand when she's out there actively wielding the influence and fanbase it currently affords her against trans people.

Ok.. weird point to throw out with pride. Michael Jackson might be dead but his victims aren't. Makes it more complex perhaps than Rowling, but I certainly avoid his music now and think it's relatively poor to show unabashed adoration for him and his music, knowing he was using the influence it afforded him to rape children.
I mean you can't, it's impossible.

The money you give to this game would end up in her hands, and she will use that money to actively further her agenda.

If nothing else you'll have a whole year to think about this before making a decision.
Harry Potter is JK Rowling, though. Perhaps if this were 30 years in the future where she's stepped out of the limelight and the franchise has grown apart from her influence and ideas and she doesn't receive that much money due to her diminished role, sure. That'd be a fair argument. This isn't that, though. She has a very active role in how her IP is handled still and is the face of Harry Potter. It is her brainchild. She made it. There is no separating her ideals from these things.

Hogwarts Legacy might be a bit more distant in the fact that she is not involved directly in its creation and development, but she's the one who is going to make the most money off of it after the developer and publisher get their cut. It's her IP. The money will then get funned into more of her TERFy bullshit.
Thank you for speaking with me. I have a lot to think about.

Aug 10, 2019
I didn't state that I loved him, just the album.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I didn't state that I loved him, just the album.
Doesn't change much for me honestly. Play the music and think it's a jam if you like, but feeling a need to say how much you love the work of someone who raped children despite that fact is just whack to me. Especially when his victims are still alive. I think he should be blacklisted from radio too, in case you think this is a localised contention. How popular his music was doesn't move the needle on how I feel knowing he preyed upon and raped children also enamoured by it.

Aug 10, 2019
Doesn't change much for me honestly. Play the music and think it's a jam if you like, but feeling a need to say how much you love the work of someone who raped children despite that fact is just whack to me. Especially when his victims are still alive. I think he should be blacklisted from radio too, in case you think this is a localised contention. How popular his music was doesn't move the needle on how I feel knowing he preyed upon and raped children also enamoured by it.
What about companies like Sony? They used child slave labor to make the PS5.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What about companies like Sony? They used child slave labor to make the PS5.
The exploitation of the Uighur population is abhorrent and companies that benefit from that exploitation have blood on their hands. I've written to my MP several times raising the issue of Uighur muslims in China, donated to causes working toward them and signed petitions around government action in the UK. Perhaps stop trying to use other issues in the world as some weird "gotcha" for inaction in each instance. Minorities aren't playing cards for you to throw out when someone points out someone abusing another. That's not the action of someone who genuinely cares, it's the action of someone who doesn't want to feel bad for engaging with things.

This is the second time you've felt a need to point elsewhere when I tell you reasons behind why I dislike certain products or artists. I can't do everything nor do I claim to, but it's better than persistently acting like people have to solve all the worlds ills if they hope to combat some of them.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for speaking with me. I have a lot to think about.

No problem. We are all trying to learn. At the end of the day it is your choice what you consume. Nobody will jump through the computer and call you an awful person if you buy the game in the end, but what is important is not being dismissive of JK Rowling's actions or the feelings of trans people who do not want to see her get any more money and power that enables her to lobby away their rights away little by little.

I will say whataboutisms are not great arguments to use against one thing or another. The world is filled with problems and we can tackle multiple ones at the same time while recognizing some things are more difficult to solve.

Status
Not open for further replies.