• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you hold A to spin attack?

• Often

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 54 22.8%
  • Rarely

Votes: 55 23.2%
  • In specific circumstances/Zeldas

Votes: 65 27.4%
  • Never

Votes: 21 8.9%

• Total voters

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of somewhat ubiquitous in the Zelda series is the move where you hold the sword button down and can do a spinning slash.

I've played like every Zelda. I use this attack on exactly one enemy (the worm boss in the tower in the light world of Link to the Past). Literally never use it any other time.

(This thread prompted by hopping into Minish Cap via Switch download and getting the tip about this move in the early game)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
When I see "Spin Attack", I think of Puyo Puyo Tetris, where my character is Tee, and I was holding down the Down key to begin performing the "Spin Attack".

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
in all 3 GB games it can be pretty useful since it'll take out some annoying enemies like peahats without having to wait for them to cycle again

i never touch it in the 3D games though

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
In Zelda? Very rarely.
But the smaller version in the 3D games when you spin the stick while attacking I do much more often.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
It's quite useful in Skyward Sword (although you do it by swinging both controllers in the same direction) as it knocks enemies down allowing you to do a one hit finishing move

Also it's fun in BotW/TotK with every weapon type having a different attack when you hold. Spinning with a hammer on the back of a Stone Talus is a quick takedown

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
The upgraded spin attack in Wind Waker is legendary. Turns you into a living lawnmower.

Apr 20, 2022
I mainly use it in 2d Zeldas. Pre BOTW I hardly use unless it's for a specific use like returning an an enemy's projectiles but in BOTW TOTK I used it all the time as charged weapon attacks are highly beneficial

Last edited:

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like its always been way more useful in the 2d games. As a kid i would spam it just because i thought it looked cool though.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
quick spin all day

NNFXkK.gif

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I find combat pretty finicky in alttp, so I do find the extra range and damage of the spin can come in very clutch there.
In general, yes to 2D, not so much in 3D except skyward sword

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
The quickspin was notoriously difficult to do in original Ocarina, especially if your controller was no longer up to snuff. So doing a charge spin was easier, albeit slower. In MM they improved the detection to be a bit more lenient.
A full magic chargespin does do double the units of damage of a normal chargespin or quickspin, but otherwise a quickspin is faster, and does the same damage. A quickspin is much more useful than a chargespin in most cases, but I imagine many kids didn't read the part that told them they could do one :P

for 2D Zeldas, it has its many uses.

I wonder if at some point, the charge spin was originally just going to be the blade beam, or even something else. Because you could do a quick spin attack, and the damage values being so weird feel like they support that (only a fully charged one does more damage???)
Just strikes me as odd, especially when the charge time makes the charge spin much less useful.

OP
OP
platypotamus

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
See I'm glad I made this thread I don't even think I knew about the stick to spin attack in 3D Zeldas. Gonna try that when my kids allow me to play Tears again.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Do some LTTP/SMZ3 rando and you'll quickly learn to embrace spin attack when you're doing Master Sword Ganon.

Also why are you using the Spin Attack against Lanmolas in LTTP? Ice Rod kills them in 2 hits iirc.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
In 3D games, I use the quick spin a lot more often, but yeah, sometimes for extra power or while waiting to counter an enemy.

In 2D games, I'm holding down the sword button most of the time there are enemies on screen. It's a much safer approach than running close to them to then stop and swing the sword. And if I play my cards right, I get rewarded with extra damage when timing the spin attack well.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Are we counting the claymore spins and spear jabs in BotW/TotK? Because those are near-essential moves in those games.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly, in the 2D Zeldas, I find it easier to face *away* from an enemy (so your sticky-out sword isn't hit early) to do the charge. Once I worked that out I'd do spins more often, but usually not that often still.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
In 2D Zelda you should be spin attacking all the time. It does 2x the damage of a normal sword swing and gives far more aoe. It's especially useful in the GB/C titles since it combos well with the Roc's Feather/Cape to get into perfect position. Not using spin attacks in 2d Zelda is like not using Jump attacks in 3D Zelda, you're doing less damage for no reason.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used the spin way more in botw/totk, particularly for the weapons where you Keep Spinning, the two-handers. Critical move, that, in many different situations. Also generally good for cuttin grass.

OP
OP
platypotamus

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Also why are you using the Spin Attack against Lanmolas in LTTP? Ice Rod kills them in 2 hits iirc.

Damn, I've beat that game like infinity times and I'm not sure I knew that. I tend to just sword most bosses that I can, and his little tail is tough to hit with regular attacks because he's so fast and turny, so I had better luck with spinnies. I think holding your sword out also keeps you from getting pushed over the ledges if he hits you from the right angles? I kinda formed a strat for fighting him when I was 9 or whatever and have stuck with it for decades 😄

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely use it in both 2D and 3D Zeldas, probably more so in 2D ones though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Damn, I've beat that game like infinity times and I'm not sure I knew that. I tend to just sword most bosses that I can, and his little tail is tough to hit with regular attacks because he's so fast and turny, so I had better luck with spinnies. I think holding your sword out also keeps you from getting pushed over the ledges if he hits you from the right angles? I kinda formed a strat for fighting him when I was 9 or whatever and have stuck with it for decades 😄
Whoops I misread which worm boss you were talking about. Desert Palace boss is weak to Ice rod, Tower of Hera boss is best fought with spin attack. That said spin attack is useful on any boss you can hit with a sword (2x damage per hit) except for Blind (boss of Thieves Town). Blind takes 9 hits to kill from anything, easiest way to cheese is to use the Cane of Byrna.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Sonic Adventure immediately came to mind.

I used the spin attack primarily in Wind Waker because of the Hurricane Spin (which is fucking amazing), and in Ocarina of Time because it looks cool as hell. Never used it in any other 3D Zelda, I think. In the other games, including BotW/TotK, I just use the analog stick spin attack.

In 2D Zelda I use it more often if only for the fact that it's the only way to do a spin attack.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
The charged spin attack is extremely useful in 2D Zelda games so I use it all the time.

I use it far less in 3D Zelda games (where the quick spin is just far more practical), except in BotW/TotK, where charged attacks are just mandatory combat moves.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
Depends on the game.

In Zelda, most of the time… not really. I don't find it worth the payoff. Except in BotW/TotK with large weapons – very useful to destroy enemy weak points.

In Bloodborne, with the axe, it was a really strong move. Made me not want to switch to any other weapon.

In FF7R, you can do it with Cloud in Operator mode, which brings multiple smaller enemies towards you, and helps fill your ATB fast. It's very useful for crowd control, since you can set that up with something like Braver to finish them up.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
My muscle memory for LTTP and Link's Awakening has me charging that sword all the time in combat. Roc's Feather in the old versions of LA gives you extra reach and mobility during the spin, doing jumping spin slashes can get you through a lot of the game without a scratch.