• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The two have nothing to do with one another, which is why it's silly. It's equivalent to saying there's more evidence for Harry Potter than whatever new nonsense Rowling believes. The two aren't connected

but fuck Dawkins and Rowling
It was a bit of snark because it's deeply funny for a very famous atheist to believe there is a secret society of Anti-Enlightenment Language Disruptors paying trans students and their allies to go after Kathleen Stock.

Again thank you for your deep concern.

Nov 4, 2017
I honestly dropped out of the mainstream Skepticism crowd when it became an anti-feminist circlejerk. I'm disappointed to learn that Dawkins is such a crazy transphobe. Oh well, at least now I know so I can avoid supporting him. Thank you for the heads up.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Is it just me, or does it feel like the 'Sceptic' community as a whole has run out of new material and is just spinning its wheels now?
Like, I guess you can only debunk God to a largely atheist audience so many times before you run out of road, and have to find a new angle to keep people interested.

I haven't checked in on the channels of Cosmicskeptic, Rationality Rules etc for ages at this point, but it seems like you either have to pivot towards a science and factual channel (like Rebecca Watson), or you end up increasingly scraping shoulders with the *ahem* 'Classic liberal' crowd.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
He's always been an unlikeable, smug cunt. Even when he was debating things I agreed with I couldn't stand him. And now he's gone full lunatic. He's one of those intellectuals who cares more about winning arguments then trying to actually do anything productive.

Nov 4, 2017
Is it just me, or does it feel like the 'Sceptic' community as a whole has run out of new material and is just spinning its wheels now?
Like, I guess you can only debunk God to a largely atheist audience so many times before you run out of road, and have to find a new angle to keep people interested.

I haven't checked in on the channels of Cosmicskeptic, Rationality Rules etc for ages at this point, but it seems like you either have to pivot towards a science and factual channel (like Rebecca Watson), or you end up increasingly scraping shoulders with the *ahem* 'Classic liberal' crowd.
It happened like 10 years ago. I remember Thunderfoot did a weird pivot from debating creationists to... Being a mysoginst. I guess once you've proven how dumb the idea of a 6000 hear old earth, a global flood or 2 people populating the whole world is, you run out of stuff to do. The field is heavily dominated by privileged white male nerds, so I guess they turned to the next thing that made them uncomfortable? The Skeptics Guide to the Universe seemed to avoid sliding into the muck, but I stopped listening once Watson left.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

'Everyone else is wrong but me and my tight knit group of peers' is the exact same drug that pulls people into conspiracy nonsense. That Dawkins and co were right about evolution and (imo) God, doesn't mean that they were attracted to those positions by logic. Even if he was, it's clear now that he got addicted to feeling 'high minded' and has as easily embraced nonsense as he did well founded science. Which is easy to do once you have convinced yourself that the things that feel true to you must all be right and no amount of things saying otherwise can prove you wrong.

Cause last time you latched onto a position it was the right one!

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I actually am genuinely surprised--I thought he was dead. Like I definitely heard he died a few years ago.

Would have been for the best if this is what he is doing now.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the age of "New Atheism" assholes like him and Harris and their subtle and not so subtle misogyny, Islamaphobia and bigotry is largely over.

I actually am genuinely surprised--I thought he was dead. Like I definitely heard he died a few years ago.

Would have been for the best if this is what he is doing now.
Christopher Hitchens died some years ago. Dawkins did have a stroke but has since recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.