sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both Finn and Poe should be aware that the First Order has Stormtroopers with jetpacks.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Going by what we've seen in Mandalorian, it's not exactly new tech.
Yeah but in universe storm troopers are grunts with shitty stuff. Its like you wouldn't expect a front line solider to have as nice equipment as a black ops person or someone in private security.

So either the FO is spending like crazy and giving out really nice jetpacks to their cannon fodder or the tech has gottten better and its cheaper to mass produce. Or its just a cool action figure that JJ wanted to put in the movie.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Why? I thought there was a time jump between this and TLJ. First Order R&D has probably been working overtime to impress the new boss.
"What is your first command, Supreme Leader?"
"I WANT JETPACKS"
"Oh. Alright, well, such things require extensive safety training and-"
"JETPACKS!"
"Alright, alright. We will have jetpacks. Anything else?"
"I WANT BIKES"
"We... already have speeder bikes. Do you just want more bikes?"
"BIKES! BUT THEY ARE ON THE GROUND."
"...Why would we need--"
"GROUND BIKES! WITH ONE WHEEL!"
"That makes even less sense, sir."
"ONE WHEEL AND THEN THEY LURCH FORWARD LAUNCHING THE JETPACK GUYS"
"...Sir, this seems like a bit of a stretch to--"
"I WANT ICE CREAM CAKE"
"Jesus fucking christ..."

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? I thought there was a time jump between this and TLJ. First Order R&D has probably been working overtime to impress the new boss.

Because the First Order has had jetpack troops the whole time. Blah blah expanded universe stuff, Poe has already encountered them and Finn should know since he was in the First Order.

Oct 25, 2017
"What is your first command, Supreme Leader?"
"I WANT JETPACKS"
"Oh. Alright, well, such things require extensive safety training and-"
"JETPACKS!"
"Alright, alright. We will have jetpacks. Anything else?"
"I WANT BIKES"
"We... already have speeder bikes. Do you just want more bikes?"
"BIKES! BUT THEY ARE ON THE GROUND."
"...Why would we need--"
"GROUND BIKES! WITH ONE WHEEL!"
"That makes even less sense, sir."
"ONE WHEEL AND THEN THEY LURCH FORWARD LAUNCHING THE JETPACK GUYS"
"...Sir, this seems like a bit of a stretch to--"
"I WANT ICE CREAM CAKE"
"Jesus fucking christ..."
I want someone to just randomly pull out a revolver and gloat about discovering a new technology called gunpowder.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Because the First Order has had jetpack troops the whole time. Blah blah expanded universe stuff, Poe has already encountered them and Finn should know since he was in the First Order.

Poe's comment sounds more like resigned incredulity, which means he could have known about them in advance and is just frustrated of the idea.

Finn being in the first order doesn't neccessarily mean he's familiar with what every division is equipped with.

There. Done.

and even then, it's not a big deal at all, even if continuity with other media is supposed to be more important now. We dont have to "uhm, actually" a minor bit meant to lampshade something.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
They cut out the only good reading of "They fly now".

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
If we don't get Rey jumping onto the tie fighter in the desert, I'm going to be SO disappointed. Don't need another Rogue One tie fighter confrontation tease.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I love watching young men turn into my 64-year-old, humourless father over "They fly now". You guys are beyond parody at this point :P

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Its awesome in the last movie we finally get to see the main characters become friends and the main villain gets introduced

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Eden, why don't you make a mega thread and update the OP with every trailer and teaser ?

Do we really need 77 star wars threads dedicated to 3 new seconds of footage ?

This way it would be easy to keep track.

You can also add the nice magazine covers.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't seen the leaks, I remember a lot of people lost their goddamn mind over the Avengers: Endgame leaks and it turned out fine.
I have almost never read positive impressions about a leaked plot. Its all about the execution.

Please don't @me if you spoiled yourself.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

Jetpacks are not a new technology in Star Wars. Both Clone and Stormtroopers have used them before and many Mandalorians use jetpacks on a constant basis. That whole "they fly now" line just seems really tone deaf in consideration of the Star Wars universe at large especially at this point in the timeline. It's like they needed a snappy dialogue exchange for that chase scene but that was all they could come up with.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
As someone who hasn't seen the leaks, I remember a lot of people lost their goddamn mind over the Avengers: Endgame leaks and it turned out fine.

I trust JJ to make a fun ride out of the terrible plot, that is the most optimism I can muster after reading those leaks.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but in universe storm troopers are grunts with shitty stuff. Its like you wouldn't expect a front line solider to have as nice equipment as a black ops person or someone in private security.

So either the FO is spending like crazy and giving out really nice jetpacks to their cannon fodder or the tech has gottten better and its cheaper to mass produce. Or its just a cool action figure that JJ wanted to put in the movie.
Clones had jetpacks
Empire had jetpacks
First Order already had jetpacks
Mandalorians have had jetpacks forever

I can forgive Poe not knowing, but Finn was a Stormtrooper.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I have almost never read positive impressions about a leaked plot. Its all about the execution.

Please don't @me if you spoiled yourself.

Reading leaks only serves to make people act smug as if they've already beaten the movie just by knowing the plot. Crazy that people love ruining media for themselves. 🤷‍♂️

Much more than fine all things considered.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Reading leaks only serves to make people act smug as if they've already beaten the movie just by knowing the plot. Crazy that people love ruining media for themselves. 🤷‍♂️

Did you know that knowing spoilers can help you enjoy a story more?

I can understand some people are spoiler phobic, but I am personaly putting all the chances on my side to enjoy this movie but knowing where it is going.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Clones had jetpacks
Empire had jetpacks
First Order already had jetpacks
Mandalorians have had jetpacks forever

I can forgive Poe not knowing, but Finn was a Stormtrooper.
Eh.
Clones were like 50 years ago in a universe that forgot an entire Jedi religion existed in under 20.
Empire was also like 30 years ago so same thing.
Mandalorians are a underground group of warrior bounty hunters with super expensive equipment.
I've only seen TFA's once but I don't remember Finn's grunt squad having jetpacks.

I don't think Poe and Finn's incredulous response is due to them not knowing the tech existed but because random stormtroopers have them now.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Did you know that knowing spoilers can help you enjoy a story more?

I can understand some people are spoiler phobic, but I am personaly putting all the chances on my side to enjoy this movie but knowing where it is going.
I have never once enjoyed a story more knowing the explicit details of the plot going into it.

What you posted is literally what I mean when I say "people trying to beat movies."

Knowing that Kevin Spacey is Keyser Söze lets you enjoy the clever construction of "The Usual Suspects" and appreciate how the director and the screenwriter manipulate the viewer and drop subtle hints along the way.

"If you're driving up Highway 1 through Big Sur, and you know the road really well, you can now peek around and admire the view, the otters frolicking in the surf," said Christenfeld.

But if it's your first time on the road, you have to focus on the twists and turns.

"The plot is in some ways like a coat hanger, displaying a garment," said Christenfeld. "If it's just a crumpled heap of fabric on the floor, you couldn't admire the garment. A plot is just the structure that lets you do the interesting narrative components – maybe even knowing the ending is useful because it allows you to focus on these other parts, or to understand how it's unfolding."

The article even concludes with the following:

Will this finding make people rush out and look for spoilers? Almost certainly not. Despite the fact that most people have experienced a spoiler enhancing their enjoyment of a story, the vast majority of people still think that spoilers ruin stories in some way.

In part, this is due to the fact that we can't experience a story for the first time twice – we can't compare the experiences of watching a spoiled and an unspoiled movie, and there's only one chance to watch an unspoiled film.

Eh.
Clones were like 50 years ago in a universe that forgot an entire Jedi religion existed in under 20.
The universe didn't forget. Palpatine ordered for as many records as possible to be erased while also demonizing them for two decades with propaganda that the general public, especially the people growing up, eventually started believing.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I don't think Poe and Finn's incredulous response is due to them not knowing the tech existed but because random stormtroopers have them now.

Yeah this is my take too.

The Internet doesn't exist in Star Wars, so we can also presume to know more than any individual character can ever witness in a lifetime.

I have never once enjoyed a story more knowing the explicit details of the plot going into it.

What you posted is literally what I mean when I say "people trying to beat movies."

You can read it like that if you want? I also said I undrstood spoiler phobic people, you are free to manage your hype the way you see fit.

I don't understand what you mean by "beating movies" though. I still intend to consume the media product and give money to Disney, if that is a concern.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I mean considering that in every thread the same group of people mention how bad the leaked plot is, it would be nice to just stop mentioning how bad a movie will be.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You can read it like that if you want? I also said I undrstood spoiler phobic people, you are free to manage your hype the way you see fit.

I don't understand what you mean by "beating movies" though. I still intend to consume the media product and give money to Disney, if that is a concern
There is a culture that exists to beat any sort of media that comes out as no media can ever be deemed too clever for the viewer. That's what I mean. It's a group of people who spend more time waiting for the opportunity to be cynical about everything and focus on nitpicking instead of actually engaging with any sort of media on it's own merits. The type of people who watch cinemasins.
I mean considering that in every thread the same group of people mention how bad the leaked plot is, it would be nice to just stop mentioning how bad a movie will be.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
There is a culture that exists to beat any sort of media that comes out as no media can ever be deemed too clever for the viewer. That's what I mean. It's a group of people who spend more time waiting for the opportunity to be cynical about everything and focus on nitpicking instead of actually engaging with any sort of media on it's own merits. The type of people who watch cinemasins.

I see what you mean.

Telling people to consume leaks to better manage expectations fits in that for you?

People just wanting to consume Star Wars marketing in peace without people commenting can probably find somewhere quieter than Resetera to do that.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
tumblr_p87o1jXurf1wzvt9qo3_500.gifv