• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I had a fabulous time with it, but I will never finish it/play thru the true ending, because I grew bored with the Palace. Too hard, too different from rest of the game and no motivation to push on.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, though the boss rush DLC can fuck right off, I just hope its non canon so I can continue to ignore it.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best games of 2017. Map system sucks though. I 100% it when it came out but haven't touched the dlc. I want to return to it before the sequel comes out.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's the other way round. After having a blast with Hollow Knight, I decided to give Ori a shot.
Though it is truly a beautiful game, I had a lot to criticise. And I wonder how different my experience would have been, hadn't I played Hollow Knight before it.

Same here. After playing Hollow Knight i could't get into Ori. HL is peak metroidvania for me and i fear that no other game will be able to surpass it, but i have really high expectation for Silksong.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's the other way round. After having a blast with Hollow Knight, I decided to give Ori a shot.
Though it is truly a beautiful game, I had a lot to criticise. And I wonder how different my experience would have been, hadn't I played Hollow Knight before it.

Probably varies on whichever you play first to an extent. I loved Ori's platforming and the movement were so unique and fluid that HK felt really clunky in that regard.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
i love it but its! So! Hard!

ive bought it twice now on ps4 and swtich and i cannae get past the 1st Hornet encounter

i know, i know

i so want to see the rest of it :(

i might need to buy it on PC for cheat engine.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
It's called cult following, it's not even 100 best games of all time.
It's an incredible game for the developing team it had, it's beautiful and the gameplay it's top notch.
But let's not go way beyond that. But if it's in your top 10 then that's all you.

Nah, it's absolutely one of the best games of all time.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It's definitely a good game but I don't think it's the best metroidvania. It's up there. I don't think it hit me like Super Metroid.

I don't know how I would rank games like this, Metroid fusion and Ori and the blind forest. They all do great things. Hollow knight is badge and combat system. Ori it's the escape sequences and platforming, fusion has great bosses and ambience.

My problem with Hollow knight is similar to Super though. On first playthrough it's takes a long time for the ball to start rolling and for things to click. It took about 15 hours before I really began to enjoy the game

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Having recently played it for the first time I agree. Now that some time's gone by since that playthrough I've mellowed somewhat on the game (it's kinda unfocused and awkwardly paced at times. Some areas aren't quite up to scratch and feel like afterthoughts), but that doesn't change the fact that it's one of the best games I've played in years and it's shocking to see it was made by just a few people. This game puts most AAA games to shame in a lot of ways.

How the fuck did you do that? I'm on 50+ hours & I don't think I'm close to finishing it yet. I've been having to get some hints from the internet, and I haven't even got the dark dash thing that lets you go through black gates. I even posted on here to say "Am i playing it wrong?". I must be.
Nah you're playing it just fine. Without any help your playtime seems fine.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
header.jpg

Let me try to explain why I mean by that as I'm not sure I can.

Hollow Knight is obviously a great game, but by impressive I don't mean that. I mean how every single aspect of the game seems to be made with a surgical precision. Every decision seems to be made in a way that minimizes the need for resources and gives the maximum amount of quality. For example, the animations. If you separate one particular animation to look closely, from any character or enemy, they tend to be very simple. Yet the effect they have on the player is always what it should be. It always feel good.

It's been a while since I finished it but I decided to reinstall to try the godmaster DLC, and I don't think there is another game with so many bosses that feel so well done. Not that every boss is equally great, but there was not a boss that felt cheap or unncecessary. And always felt the people behind this game were making the correct decision to make the most of that particular foe. The most fun, the most challenge, the best it could be.

And this Hollow Knight as a whole. Every decision in this game feels like the correct one. There was no effort put into something that wouldn't add much to the game, or would be superfluous. There was no waste. The game is like a impossible machine that runs at 100% efficiency, even if there are machines out there with more overall output.

If the 2 developers have the will, they can become really really really BIG... they have talent.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I tried the game, but it never clicked. Only beat a boss or two and put maybe 2 hours into it. Need to give it another try.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Played it for 40 hours before just dropping it. First game I think I ever just stopped playing. Way too big of a map and the larger it got the more frustrating it became to expand it further and find the right path. Just a terrible waste of time without even being particularly fun.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
An absolute masterpiece and GOTG heavyweight contender.

It's also the reason that when people defend games like the latest Wolfenstein and other AAA "budget" games, I just roll my eyes. Hollow Knight is better than most $60 AAA games I've played and it's a fraction of the cost and budget. That ain't really an excuse anymore. Good games are good, bad ones are bad.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I'm about 5 or 6 hours in, all these comment push me to continue.

For the moment i think it's good but far from GOTY. I imagine the more upgrade i'll get it will get better.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I was looking for a game to play after finishing Dragon Quest Builders 2, but before the craziness of September hits, and I remembered I had a copy of this game on my shelf for... awhile. So I decided to play it, and I'm glad I did. It's fantastic.

I love how I think I'm totally lost and stuck and wandering around for an hour and then suddenly I notice a path I never took and then I found a new area with hours worth of content and progress. The game encourages you to wander, but it also gently leads you to the areas where there's new progression. I find myself making mental notes of areas with clear progression hurdles, and then when I know I can get past the obstacle, I make a plan for my next play session of what I want to accomplish.

The game is also challenging, but the bosses are fair. You just have to memorize their patterns and be patient. Trying to rush a fight gets me killed more than anything the boss actually does.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I downloaded it, played it for a bit but I cannot get into it.

Having started gaming with PS3 (and then 360), I never got into side scrollers and specifically, metroid-vania games. And perhaps now, those kinds of games don't click with me.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved what I played of it until I got to, I think it was The Watcher Knights? Boss fight and I just simply couldn't beat them.

I gave up and never went back. I don't know why I didn't just try again the next day, or the day after that, I simply walked away and I hate myself for it.

I do think about maybe going back and trying again, but you know what they say about going back to a game after having not played it for months. I certainly wouldn't be able to remember where anything is on the map for a start.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've spent $60 or so on hollow knight, and dont regret it

I've bought it for myself, my brother, and some friends. One just had a bday yesterday and I sent him a code for switch

No regrets, I felt like $15 was not enough based on how much I got out of that game. Not something I ever say

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Still need to beat the first boss. Just can't get into the art style for some reason. It's gorgeous, but it's missing something I can't put my finger on that grabs me like Super Metroid.

Think I might need to play Bloodstained or Dead Cells to get me back into the genre and then come back to it. I've been in an mmo and city builder mood for awhile now.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
It's a well made game that plays well. That's the extend of the accolades I'll give the game. The game has so many baffling game design decisions, it's hard not to drop an otherwise beautifully crafted game. The death/soul system is totally inappropriate given the level design of the game. You'll be spending minutes of time after each death going to reclaim your soul or trekking back to the boss from the far away checkpoints. The game also lacks that smooth power progression that game like Super Metroid provides and that increases the difficulty against even regular enemies. Those two things kill the game for me. I lack the patience for games like this that don't respect the players time or energy by design.

It's not one of the best game ever. It's not the best Metroidvania ever.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
The most impressive part to me will always be that Team Cherry is made up of just two people. Yes, they outsourced certain aspects like the game's music, but still. For how cohesive all aspects of the game are, it shows that the game wasn't pulled in many directions from the original vision.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a well made game that plays well. That's the extend of the accolades I'll give the game. The game has so many baffling game design decisions, it's hard not to drop an otherwise beautifully crafted game. The death/soul system is totally inappropriate given the level design of the game. You'll be spending minutes of time after each death going to reclaim your soul or trekking back to the boss from the far away checkpoints. The game also lacks that smooth power progression that game like Super Metroid provides and that increases the difficulty against even regular enemies. Those two things kill the game for me. I lack the patience for games like this that don't respect the players time or energy by design.

It's not one of the best game ever. It's not the best Metroidvania ever.
I disagree with those points, and actually enjoy those aspects that you dont - such like the death system, it made each life meaningful, and I had to be smart about my decisions and be careful. Definitely one of the best games ive played

but hey, opinions i guess

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
It's a wonderful game, if a bit checkpoint poor.

Also, with the optional stuff the difficulty gets so high before I just go
tenor.gif

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's called cult following, it's not even 100 best games of all time.
It's an incredible game for the developing team it had, it's beautiful and the gameplay it's top notch.
But let's not go way beyond that. But if it's in your top 10 then that's all you.

Hollow Knight raised the bar for Metroidvania games across the board, it is absolutely one of the best games of all time.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I played during 20 or so hours and never found it that good, but I need to try the game again.

While the art direction is amazing, some of the areas felt "samey" in the sense that there was no memorable rooms and that the color palette was boring. The combat and platforming feel fast and smooth, but the PC version has some input lag problem that makes it feel less precise than it should.

Overall I liked the game and I need to retry it, but some problems (the two I mentioned, the map system...) made my experience worse than I expected.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I got the game on PC originally and loved it despite only playing a few hours of it.

Then the game came out on Switch and got a second life where suddenly a bunch of journalists acted like the game never existed before the Switch release which always super annoyed me... But hey, at least the game finally got the recognition it deserves.

I ended up buying it on Switch recently to have a game to play in bed before going to sleep so I started a new game and still enjoying it! It's especially great with modded joycons to get a real Dpad!

Now the problem is that I kinda wish I could also play at work during my lunch break but I don't want to carry around my Switch.. so I'm actually pondering the idea of going back to my PC save instead which was further along in the game... Argh tough decision lol

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
the PC version has some input lag problem that makes it feel less precise than it should.

No input lag here. It could be a problem with your specific setup, or maybe it was an issue early on and was patched out? It's certainly not widespread if a google search is anything to go by. The Switch version on the other hand has very noticeable input lag.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
No input lag here. It could be a problem with your specific setup, or maybe it was an issue early on and was patched out? It's certainly not widespread if a google search is anything to go by. The Switch version on the other hand has very noticeable input lag.
I remember that at launch several users complained about this on Steam. I tried to limit the FPS using an external tool (rivatuner IIRC) and other old tricks but even so the results were not optimal. Maybe it's how the game works and I'm used to games with less input latency, who knows.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I remember that at launch several users complained about this on Steam. I tried to limit the FPS using an external tool (rivatuner IIRC) and other old tricks but even so the results were not optimal. Maybe it's how the game works and I'm used to games with less input latency, who knows.

I didn't play at launch so I couldn't say. If you haven't played since then I'd say there's a good chance it's fixed assuming it wasn't an issue with your specific setup.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is the best game ever and Silksong looks like it's going to match and even exceed that.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I don't like digital games, so I've only really been able to play indie games that make it to physical media (and only really wide releases since Limited Run is so...Limited) and it looks like Hollow Knight finally made it to retail at the end of May, so I'll have to add this to my shopping list.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I really wish I could've gotten into Hollow Knight. I played about... 10 hours maybe? And while I liked the game I never felt this way about it, I think what holds it back for me is the map system and having to start back from the town with penalties in place whenever I died. I'd definitely go back to it when I have a chance, but yeah it never resonated with me that much.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I could've gotten into Hollow Knight. I played about... 10 hours maybe? And while I liked the game I never felt this way about it, I think what holds it back for me is the map system and having to start back from the town with penalties in place whenever I died. I'd definitely go back to it when I have a chance, but yeah it never resonated with me that much.

Did you not rest on benches?

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I'm most impressed by just how polished it is. It feels like a AAA game in terms of the amount of content, and how everything just feels so perfectly put together

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've had it sat unplayed on my Switch for months now, really should start it, I've only heard positive things

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's certainly one of my favorites too. The game holds a perfect difficulty for my play style as well which just vibed with me the entire time. I think it's too punishing and difficult for some people though and perhaps an easier difficulty setting could've eased those players woes. However if the devs intent was to keep the game challenging then more power to them because I think it's perfect. Not every game needs to be catered to everybody. For example I love the way the map works too but for those without spatial awareness or a good sense of direction it could be daunting. Hollow Knight is absolutely an astonishing feat in the indie dev scene and Silk Song is looking like a worthy successor. I hope it's just as challenging as before.