• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhhhh it just sounds so complicated

Dammit why am I so easily overwhelmed by the enormity of the task in front of me all the time
80XA.gif

On a side note, Hollow knight deserves it.
Best game on switch and probably of the last few years, at least since bloodborne.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a Top 5 for me. I can't remember the last time I played a game this good.

I put in 70 hours slowly and methodically exploring every inch of the map and didn't get bored.

That's crazy. Yeah I see it looks like you have the main character's? avatar.

It's pretty crazy but when it comes down to it I may hold it in that high of a regard as well. I love everything about it .One of those "perfect" games to me.

Yeah I've seen a good amount of people say this. It feels like this game came out of nowhere. I don't remember if there was any hype for it before it came to PC.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bought it... but I'm intimidated to play it. I'm afraid of being overwhelmed. I don't know why I got it. I like exploration and cool worlds, but don't like hard, confusing games.

Someone get me excited to start playing!

Ahhhhhhh it just sounds so complicated

Dammit why am I so easily overwhelmed by the enormity of the task in front of me all the time

7x4u.gif

Just poking fun at you, don't worry its a cool game

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That's crazy. Yeah I see it looks like you have the main character's? avatar.

Yeah I've seen a good amount of people say this. It feels like this game came out of nowhere. I don't remember if there was any hype for it before it came to PC.

There really wasn't much talk of it outside of the Kickstarter backers. I didn't buy the game at launch, but kept hearing good things about it on various message boards. Then I ended up getting the Steam version last September after hearing the Switch version wasn't coming out any time soon. I believe it being pc only really hurt it's time in the spot light. Very few publications even mentioned it's name. When it was time for game of the year awards I doubt many people in the media even played it. I remember it winning some awards here and there but felt that if more folks played it , it could've been even bigger. I'm super glad the Switch version got a lot more people talking about it and maybe now it'll get the recognition it deserves.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I literally bought the game as quickly as I could when I got my hand on my switch after it was released.
I have no idea how long I have been in Hallownest, easily my GOTY so far.
Actually it could have been a very easy GOTSwitch if not for BotW as well as GOTG really.
It's one of the most fantastic metroid game I ever played, it's a joy to play and get lost in the desolate place the game is in.
The music is glorious.
The fact that the compass is tied to an item and can be deactivated at any time means that I can choose to not use it and I HAVE to try to internalize the map to get anywhere is fantastic.
It's kinda like playing BotW in Expert mode where the place your character is really where you attention is and not that fucking minimap in the corner.

It feels like TokiTori2 in that I never want to stop playing it and it basically feels like something I always wanted in game form.
It's one of the greatest alongside Aria of sorrow, Toki tori2, Metroid II.

One of the very few game I think I may end up double dipping if It ever get a physical release.

I'm super glad it didn't get released on Switch in 2017, I really would have wanted to have to choose between BotW and Hollow Knight, feels like choosing between my kidneys :/.

And the crazy part is that I expect Octopath to be this year's revelation after everything! I can't even touch anything but HK right now, the game is THAT gripping I haven't even touched OT's new demo, fortnight, I skipped Hyrule Warrior (again) entirely.
It's a fucking crazy good game.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
considering the word of mouth this is getting i wouldnt be surprised we get to 1mil on Switch alone in a year

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch killing it with these 15 dollar gems. First HK then came Lumines this month. Loving my Switch again after a bit of a drought.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best gaming purchase I have made in awhile. Anyone that loved Symphony of the Night should own this game. Probably the first metroidvania style game that truly even comes close IMO. And how they did this without hundreds of other people is beyond me as the scope of this game is ridiculous as I'm still finding areas 30+ hours in. What they could do with a bigger budget and bigger team in their control I cant even imagine.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game is amazing but I just raged quit after losing 1700 currency and then venturing off from reclaiming them to end up dying again. I thought I would be fine to go back and revisit areas with my new abilities but then there was a surprise boss that was shooting lasers everywhere and fucked me up. Sigh. Great game though

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This game is amazing but I just raged quit after losing 1700 currency and then venturing off from reclaiming them to end up dying again. I thought I would be fine to go back and revisit areas with my new abilities but then there was a surprise boss that was shooting lasers everywhere and fucked me up. Sigh. Great game though
Lol. That boss is great.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol. That boss is great.
Yeah these surprise bosses are cool but I hate losing all my coins. Before that I was in mantis town and came across those three mantis strung up and I didn't realize pressing up would challenge them. I just thought they would talk to me. Lol, they killed me too

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Switch port has renewed interest in the game and so we've seen lots of activity in the OT as well. Definitely deserves it.

Re: dev size, Team Cherry also got help from shark jump for the switch port.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Yeah, 3 people plus composer made this is simply mind boggling to me considering it's better than most AAA stuff out there.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a relatively unknown indie game like HK can sell 250k units on Switch only at some point one has to stop and think just how much money is Nintendo leaving on the table by not releasing a port (or remaster?) of Mother 3. And HK doesnt have two decades worth of Super Smash Bros hype and hordes of fans evangelizing people since 2006!

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I'll double dip for the physical version and then probably triple dip for the eventual PS4 release so I can platinum it.

What a phenomenal game.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I would love to see the double dip numbers. I know a lot of PC players with the Switch that jumped on it twice. Great showing for 2 weeks and a shadow launch.

I went the other way around. Sunk 50 hours into the Switch version and now I'm playing it on pc after getting it in the summer sale. I'm pulled back in easily and can't stop, it's like I'm playing through it for the first time. The game is really special and deserves being a hit on two platforms now.

Price point is nuts. You can get both versions now for €25 and that'd be cheap for one copy.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad it's doing well, and I hope it sells many more copies. It's one of the best games I've ever played, and it's only a mere $15.

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snap, all these positive impressions make me want to go buy this game. Currently playing LUMINES and loving that one too

Oct 25, 2017
If a relatively unknown indie game like HK can sell 250k units on Switch only at some point one has to stop and think just how much money is Nintendo leaving on the table by not releasing a port (or remaster?) of Mother 3. And HK doesnt have two decades worth of Super Smash Bros hype and hordes of fans evangelizing people since 2006!
What.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I just checked their Kickstarter campaign and they really didn't get much funding, I wonder why. Was it the Australia factor? Lack of press connections? or KS fatigue?
Regardless, glad it worked out in the end.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
You learned your lesson, 1700 is nothing, you can get your shadow back in the town be sure to have a key.

My 5 year old lost me 34k while I wasn't home. Now that's a big loss in the game.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Deserved all of its success , could have charged double and still would have been a steal. I was stunned by how cheap it was.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Super good game, maybe my favourite on the Switch. I played the Humble Monthly demo last year and immediately fell in love, but kept putting off buying it because the Switch version always seemed just around the corner. When it dropped during E3 I couldn't buy it fast enough.