• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Better game?

• Hollow Knight

Votes: 892 63.6%
  • Ori

Votes: 511 36.4%

• Total voters

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Ori 2 is one of the greatest games i've ever played, HK is a okayish metroidvania that vastly overstay it's welcome and has many flaws to what constitute a good metroidvania.

This is my opinion, before someone gets triggered.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have either Ori over Hollow Knight by a mile, though admittedly that is almost definitely coloured by playing Hollow Knight with the internet's massive overhype of it, which can only ever really lead to being a let down. Even without that though, there were definitely multiple parts of HK I found frustrating, and not in an especially fun way either. Ori's also boosted by me being a real sucker for movement and it's just an absolute delight in that regard. And Coker's soundtracks, woo lord.

I'll still probably play Silksong though!

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
Very different games.

I'd still pick Ori because Hollow Knight is one of those games I can't understand why people go so crazy for. The extreme hype has turned me off.

The game was ok, but it is not a great metroidvania.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Ori is very easy on the eyes, but outside of big emotional set pieces and flashy visuals, it was only pretty good as a game. Hollow Knight in the meantime hit so, so many marks. HK all the way

Last edited:

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Ori 2 is nearly a flawless game to me. It's strongly arguable that it's the best looking 2D game of all time, every movement mechanic it introduces is like The Best Movement Mechanic, it has cinematic scripted chase sequences but also strong pattern recognition bosses, punchy combat feedback, tons of different areas that each have interesting gimmicks, fluid pacing the whole way through, a great OST, and while I don't cry my eyes out at the story, the emotional core is beyond solid for this type of game and leads to a satisfying narrative climax and ending. If I had to nitpick I'd say the enemy variety could be a smidge better but we're really splitting hairs here. Even if it isn't my favorite, objectively speaking it's hard for me to name any sidescroller that's a better overall package when it comes to sheer ideas, execution and production values.

Hollow Knight is a game with phenomenal highs but also some glaring lows. Starting with the good, it has by far the best atmosphere I've ever experienced in a sidescroller. Namely, Deepnest is a complete triumph of aesthetics and game design colliding to make for an unforgettable S-tier experienece. HK also excels as a combat-focused action game with extremely tight controls, satisfying hit feedback, and a veritable treasure trove of challenging enemies and bosses to conquer. As a Metroidvania, though...idk. I'm pretty smitten with its world design at a macro level with how the different areas sprawl out, loop back, interconnect, and are accessed. At a micro level, HK cribs a bit too much from the Igavania style of level design for my liking where it feels like every other room is not too interesting, or worse, A Really Long Hallway (on top of most areas feeling at least a little bloated). Unlike games like Ori and Metroid, the movement abilities are none too interesting here and do little to make backtracking feel as snappy and fun as they should. Pacing is also a little sketchy with the lack of easy fast travel (paired with said elongated map design) asking for a lot of your time simply moving between places you've already been, and the ability pacing is absolutely fucking dire. Now I don't need every Metroidvania to be paced like Super Metroid where the game is machinegunning new abilities at you with reckless abandon (even though it stimulates my X Spot mmm yesss), but there has to be a better balance here. The ability rollout of HK is so fucking glacial that it keeps me up at night, and again the vast majority of abilities are as basic as they can be with double jumps, dashes etc.

It's possible that HK has higher highs than Ori with its more elaborate boss fights and Deepnest, but as an overall package it's Ori 2 for me pretty easily. That said, I'm very excited for Silksong to see how Hornet's increased agility over the Knight can increase the flow of gameplay (sprinting wooooo), and hopefully the pacing is stronger.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
Hollow Knight >

But tbh bash from Ori is one of the best metroidvania powers ever

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
I got bored of Hollow Knight. Not sure what it was, Ori on the other hand kept me entertained all the way through.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Haven't played Will of the Wisps, but I have completed Blind Forest 100%. My gaming experience tells me WotW is an evolution of the same formula, without differring too much from the first game, and for me Hollow Knight is in a completely different league, so I'll say Hollow Knight

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Hollow Knight is the GOAT. Meanwhile Ori had to steal half HK's mechanics for it's sequel and then their CEO was on here denying it and shit talking HK lol.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is a 9.5/10
Ori Will of the Wisps is a 9/10
Ori and the Blind Forest is a 7/10

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is the GOAT. Meanwhile Ori had to steal half HK's mechanics for it's sequel and then their CEO was on here denying it and shit talking HK lol.

As much as that guys sucked, this argument was always pretty naive. HK itself has mostly mechanics taken from the rest of the genre (and Dark Souls).
"half its mechanics" being equipping charms, im guessing and none of the many things that made it unique? Where's that same smoke for Lost Crown which is closer to HK with the equipable charms and finding area map vendors? It got as silly as claiming it copied having a gibberish language....even though Blind Forest was doing that years before HK released.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ori is one of the best Metroidvanias ever made. Unfortunately, Hollow Knight is THE best Metroidvania ever made.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I'm one of those who vastly prefer the Ori games to Hollow Knight. HK is a fine game and has amazing atmosphere & music...but so does Ori.

forrest

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They're both fantastic in their own way. Hollow knight probably left more of an impression on me, but Ori just oozes polish.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
All are great but it's Hollow Knight by far for me. I'm fiending for Silksong but I can also wait as long as Team Cherry needs for it to be another masterpiece.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Too bad I'm in such a Fallout hole rn, thread is making me want to dip back into ori for a re-evaluation. Might just do that before Silksong

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't know why I didn't get along well with Ori. Something about how it feels doesn't feel as satisfying to me. Maybe it was just the Xbox's shitty d-pad.

Fucking love Hollow Knight though.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I didn't get along well with Ori. Something about how it feels doesn't feel as satisfying to me. Maybe it was just the Xbox's shitty d-pad.

I think its made for analogue controls might be part of it. I don't think you can really walk, or aim moves in the same way on a dpad, or adjust the air momentum without relying on tapping a button. Even mouse+keyboard makes more sense to me.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
even putting aside gameplay and art style (where I would give it to Hollow Knight)... Ori to me is sentimental while Hollow Knight is melancholic. the latter is an objectively better trait.

Dylan M.

Feb 11, 2020
I'm such a weirdo when it comes to Ori. I strongly dislike the tone and cutscenes. It's just a constant "isn't this so sad? Aren't you sad? Look how sad this is." Drives me up the wall.
That is a real weakness of Ori for me too. It's not even just that it's 'sad,' but it has very didactic tone, as if it has manufactured a thought it wants you to have rather than leaving you to your own experience.

It's in the substance of it's themes as well. The games differ significantly in how they present 'light' for instance. In Ori there is genuine unambiguous evil and good in the world, and the closer one is to the 'light' the more inherently good one is. It's actually a very disturbing, though popular, idea. Hollow Knight is basically the exact opposite, where almost no one, whether 'light' or 'dark,' in that world is truly 'evil,' mostly just unfortunate, ignorant, or detached in some way or another.

Hollow Knight just has a lot more to engage with substanitively.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I'm such a weirdo when it comes to Ori. I strongly dislike the tone and cutscenes. It's just a constant "isn't this so sad? Aren't you sad? Look how sad this is." Drives me up the wall.
Nah, that's part of what kills them for me too. Very little to say, lots of time spent saying it.

Prototype

Sep 2, 2023
I enjoyed Hollow Knight once I started using a guide to know where to go, would not play it again though. Ori is just a joy to play and control I could play it over and over again.

Barm

Jan 23, 2018
I love both but Ori if I had to choose. I don't feel they are really comparable though.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Ori was pretty. Lots of spectacle but the game itself didn't do much for me.

Hollow Knight on the other hand made me feel awe and majesty and trial and triumph and it did so with game design, not with just pretty. And it was also just as beautiful, especially in the music department.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
The back tracking of Hollow Knight is what keeps it from greatness for me. What a drag in such a beautiful game.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Will of the Wisps, it's not particularly close and I'm a big Hollow Knight fan.

WotW is one of the best Metroidvanias of all time, perhaps the greatest because of the way it includes pin perfect platforming on top that.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
There was something about Ori's controls that just didn't click with me.
vs
I'm currently wearing a Silksong shirt, even though I couldn't finish Hollow Knight.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is one of the best games ever made

Ori is also excellent in its own right, but it's no Hollow Knight

goroadachi

Dec 22, 2023
Hollow Knight by far.

Ori is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played but it also left me feeling nothing despite how much the game wants you to connect with it emotionally. The combat was also just okay, rather than the top tier combat HK offers.

I thought Ori 1 is the better game than the sequel tbh

I agree, the strength of these games is the platforming, and Ori 1 had more of an emphasis on that. The combat in the second game, while improved from the first, is still pretty meh when compared to the titans of this genre (HK, Metroid Dread, and recently Prince of Persia The Lost Crown). I also liked the chase sequences much better in the first game.

Nov 29, 2018
When Hollow Knight "clicks" it is an absolutely sublime experience.

Ori is very pretty and demands much less of the player. But coming from the first Ori, which had hardly any combat, I found the constant fighting in WotW very intrusive. I was kinda over it well before the credits rolled. So I'd probably put Blind Forest before WotW, even.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the first Ori since 2 added some RPG-like padding/fluff that I didn't care for, but it's still an excellent game. HK though is on another level, even if it doesn't have the visual chops.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Ori 2,100% for me. I enjoyed and beat HK, but Ori 2 is one of my absolute favorites. The art, the music (Gareth Coker goat), the gameplay fluidity, it's all nearly perfect to me. The art of that world captured my imagination in a wild way.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ori was an incredible experience and beautiful. I still think about playing both sometimes. HK was fun, but I don't miss exploring that world whatsoever. Will do it again for Silksong of course but yea I think about Ori's world for fun sometimes.