• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Better game?

• Hollow Knight

Votes: 892 63.6%
  • Ori

Votes: 511 36.4%

• Total voters

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think Ori, especially the second one, has a better balance of it being easier to jump into and then also providing some extra stuff of the beaten path for more experienced players. HK is absolutely amazing but that game is a lot tougher to get into at first.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Ori is a fun and really cute and well made game.

Hollow Knight might be the single best game I've ever played. No comparison.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
It took me multiple tries to get into Hollow Knight. When it finally clicked, I enjoyed the game and I am very much looking forward to Silksong.

I loved Ori immediately and have played through both games twice.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight isn't just far more superior, it's one of the best games ever made. It controls better and did the "metroidvania design" way better. It has memorable and distinctive-looking levels and enemies, and far better music and overall atmosphere.

Ori is bOring and I found its combat to be worse than mediocre and the levels lacked character, the map felt more like random areas that connect and blend together, as opposed to Hollow Knight which takes a page out of the Souls games and excels in its level design. I wish I saw what others see in Ori and the Will of the Wisps, it bored me to death and I flushed it after 8 hours of playtime.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I prefer Ori 1 to both of the options, but of the options, Ori 2 definitely wins. I like HK but it's way too slow and the platforming isn't fun. Hell, Ori wins just for the Bash ability alone, which is my favorite upgrade in all of Metroidvania.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what it is about the Ori games, but they just ultimately feel much less than the sum of their parts. Like they're gorgeous, expertly crafted, great soundtrack, and yet... they're fine.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I picked Hollow Knight because its a complete package.

For Ori it would be the story from 1 with the gameplay of 2.
Ori 2's story was just the first one again.

Sadire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 31, 2017
Neither are exactly what I wanted out of the genre. But Hollow Knight is so cute, and I enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay and atmosphere more.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
I liked both Ori games a lot, but even together they're a Coughing Baby vs Hollow Knight's Hydrogen Bomb.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
I've tried to play Hollow Knight three times now and just don't like it. I don't understand why people love it so much. I was glued to the screen for both Ori games, absolutely loved them - beautiful, delightful stories, and challenging platforming sections. I enjoy platforming challenges more than combat challenges so that's probably why I think Ori is the better game, for me personally at least.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Personally, I love both Ori games and do not like Hollow Knight. Ori is faster, more adorable, and more acrobatic. It's also in color. Love color in my games.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Both games lean a lot more into the Metroid side of things, so much so that I'd say both hollow knight and ori aren't actually Metroidvanias

no exp/leveling, gear is just a single wep that gets upgraded,for example. I'm not actually sure what they actually borrow from the vania side of it, tbh.

but I'd say HK is better

Dylan M.

Feb 11, 2020
Both games lean a lot more into the Metroid side of things, so much so that I'd say both hollow knight and ori aren't actually Metroidvanias

no exp/leveling, gear is just a single wep that gets upgraded,for example. I'm not actually sure what they actually borrow from the vania side of it, tbh.
This is something that has always confused me. As far as I can tell, everything 'vania' is just standard action-RPG mechanics. To me, Metroid established everything that is the heart of the genre.

But one thing that is very not Metroid about Hollow Knight is it leans way more into melee combat than Metroid ever does, more like Castlevania.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
Hollow Knight is one of the best games ever for me. The best metroidvania by far. I only played the first Ori, but I didn't finish it. I lost interest halfway through.

Darkreaver

Feb 16, 2024
I think hollow knight belongs to the most overrated game in the top 3.
But that just my opinion. Basic gameplay (nothing new). Music isn't that good or memorable (if you compare it to metroid or castlevania).
It's better then dread, but still generic. The music of ori is better. Music is a big deal for me, it's equal important as gameplay for me.
Anyway, lack of variety enemy design. Blurred world backgrounds with lack of colors Example lack colors
Bosses are flash designed : example 1 - example 2

Maybe thats your thing and thats ok. I'm going to replay the game soon again to see if i can review my opinion again.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good avg game. Gameplay is fine, but basic. I don't say it's a bad game. But i find ori way better except the leveldesign.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
I love Ori's visuals and superb platforming, but Hollow Knight has the whole Metroidvania package: Artstyle, combat, platforming, exploration, worldbuilding/lore, etc.

Jan 13, 2022
Both Ori games are absolutely wonderful and I love them, but Hollow Knight is an all-time masterpiece, not only in its genre, but in all of gaming.

Nucarn

Jan 15, 2020
Belgium
While I loved hollow knight I was not a fan of the first Ori and quickly gave up on the sequel once I started it.

Hollow Knight just felt like a mix of a Metroid/Castlevania with souls. Charming in a gloomy way and with so much content to keep revisiting it that I still need to have some time to check the post release content in full. I feel it just needed some better located quick travel points, as there can be a lot of backtracking. Nevertheless, I had a great time exploring the world.

As for the Ori games, they are visually pretty but I find the visuals "busy" for a lack of a better word. Where it's not always clear what is a platform or not, or just plain obstruction of what is relevant for me to see. And to be quite honest.. I find the founders of the studio behind the ori games rather off-putting, there is a certain lack of modesty from them that made me more cynical playing through Ori. Any little flaw I found just added more to my stance that these individuals are a bit too full of themselves. It's a rather strong stance from me, but I can't help it from all the comments and remarks I have seen from them online.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Ori is a more satisfying game to look at, that's for sure. The art and visuals blow Hollow Knight's away and that matters a lot for me.

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is a pretty mid-tier game with nice visuals. Ori is way better and the world is a lot more fun to move around in. To be fair, I never finished Hollow Knight because I just got bored of it. It's not difficult, just boring.