BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Disney doesn't plan to reboot National Treasure on Disney+. I think it'd make a decent family-oriented historical/educational TV series.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They already did like multiple Home Alone remakes. They seem to be missing the point of why that movie is so loved.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Diary of a Wimpy Kid would work better as a series. I know the reason why they just stopped or struggled was because the child actors were aging too fast and there were too many books to cover.

And dammit, where's National Treasure or Tron?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think the concept of Home Alone even works in the 21st century at this point. Even the original movie had to make a few pretty big stretches in order to make the concept work in 1990

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think the concept of Home Alone even works in the 21st century at this point. Even the original movie had to make a few pretty big stretches in order to make the concept work in 1990
I think it can work, but would require a lot of setup in the beginning of the story.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
There's money to be made in a theatrical soft reboot of Home Alone with Mac back, the Google Xmas ad showed the love for it, but making a vanilla remake for a streaming service is straight up a waste.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Fuck me that's my childhood in one list.

tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Modern technology pretty much ruins a story like Home Alone (which barely could handle 90s technology) so I'm pretty curious how that's going to work.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Home Alone is gonna be the big one on how it's gonna work.

I mean they could do the whole Kevin ignores the cell phone bit but still, it's gonna take a good writer for that setup to work in the modern day.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Home Alone was irreparably damaged four films ago. Things literally couldn't get worse. Home Alone and Home Alone 2 are masterpieces beyond approach.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Modern technology pretty much ruins a story like Home Alone (which barely could handle 90s technology) so I'm pretty curious how that's going to work.
You really just need to have the parents away from their phones for a bit, which is possible depending the on circumstances for why they can't get back.

Mom takes his phone and never gives it back. Boom.
Kevin was eight so they could just play it off as his parents not thinking he's ready for a phone.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017

I mean they could do the whole Kevin ignores the cell phone bit but still, it's gonna take a good writer for that setup to work in the modern day.
secret hackermans take down the emezan servers that all 3 of the major mobile networks use to run their business on and all internet/mobile networks are unavailable, but the hackers find out that one kid that knows who did the hacking and they know from their airline access that he's the only member of the family that didn't catch a flight so they track his house down and try to break in to kidnap him

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Cell phones alone torpedo a bunch of the plot points necessary to make the original Home Alone work, and then there's the internet...

You know a rich as fuck family like that would have smart home stuff everywhere

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how far away we are from a Die Hard reboot.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
What wouldn't work? I think the original still works to this day with a small suspension of disbelief

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

It would be hard to create a situation of sufficient isolation, but remember they had to contrive his house having no phone even in the first film.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
These all make perfect sense and fit within Disney's reboot/remake strategy.

Seems like a perfect fit to me.

It's worth noting that Home Alone has had tons of awful DTV sequels over the years so it's not as if this isn't 'business as usual' for this franchise.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How about Kevin is just a liar and has been punished for lying his phone gets taken away , no laptops, no landline. They live in a big mansion his parents forget about him as they are busy with work.
Even then at that point he would have a nanny, yeah this would need alot of set up lol yeah I don't know how this would work

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
- Kid gets in trouble and get his cellphone taken away
- Snow storm knocks out power lines
- Parents land in Europe and need to get a new CIM card or an international plan; can't get ahold of kid
- Snowstorm delays any flights for a parents return

It could still work and if the kid is 7 it wouldn't be too far-fetched. Home Alone already required a little bit of suspension of belief.

Oct 27, 2017
It would be hard to create a situation of sufficient isolation, but remember they had to contrive his house having no phone even in the first film.
Not just no phone, the first contrives it so that the phones are down, the power goes out, literally all the neighbors are gone, his plane tickets gets thrown out, and another kid wanders into the family when they're doing a headcount.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
- Kid gets in trouble and get his cellphone taken away
- Snow storm knocks out power lines
- Parents land in Europe and need to get a new CIM card or an international plan; can't get ahold of kid
- Snowstorm delays any flights for a parents return

It could still work and if the kid is 7 it wouldn't be too far-fetched. Home Alone already required a little bit of suspension of belief.

Snow storm would also be hard for authorities to get to the house , yeah ok that works

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They should do the opposite of their recent remakes, make these live action films into cartoon remakes

For reasons I don't know

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Cell phones alone torpedo a bunch of the plot points necessary to make the original Home Alone work, and then there's the internet...

You know a rich as fuck family like that would have smart home stuff everywhere
Power outage takes away the internet. They could do Home Alone like this:

Set up similar to the original movie. Parents don't realize they left Kevin behind until they're already on a plane/at their destination. Make their destination in another country if you have to to make it a longer turn around.
They call Kevin. "Kevin where are you you little shit!!" "Mom I'm home alone" "Fucking hell why did I have so many kids I'll be on the next flight to come get you"
Power goes out, downed phone line. Kevin's cell battery dies while talking to his mom or ordering a pizza or playing Disney TsumTsum and he can't charge it.

He is now cutoff again while his parents race to get back to him. It's effectively the same exact plot as the first movie only this time Kevin knows his parents are coming back which doesn't actually change anything because he's still 1) home alone 2) cut off from phone/internet 3) defending the house against burglars while his unknowing parents race back to get him.

Burglars attack the house and he has to hold down the fort until his folks return, can't call the cops because his phone battery died.
The majority of the first movie takes place at night anyway so the only thing that would be different is he has to light candles, leading to some kind of fire hijink trap.
He can watch the movie on his iPad connected to his Beats bluetooth speaker to make the crooks think he has the tommy gun.

Edit: Yeah as someone above me said throw in a blizzard or something as the reason for the power/phones and no police. Hell the crooks could even cut the power/phones themselves while they're trying to hit their marks, either way, storm makes it so they can't be repaired right away.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Night at the Museum is at least 15 years too new to justify any kind of remake

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

Isn't he 8 years old in the movie? I know allot of parents hold off giving their kid a cell phone until middle school or the last year of Elementary school because they don't want them to get addicted to phones too young. I think the national average is 10 years old which is 5th grade. In fact, many homes don't even have land lines or a cable IP phone any more which could make it even more difficult to get in touch with the Kevin since no phone would even be available at the house. And the parents/sibilings most likely took their iPads with them on the trip so there's no Facetime available either (unless they happen to be one of those families with 6 iPads, then there would be no excuse but usually kids have to share the iPads lol).

What's more unbelievable is that the parents wouldn't just call their friends (if all the nearby relatives are in Paris on the family trip) to come pick up Kevin. I can't imagine EVERY friend of the family is away on vacation for Christmas.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Night at the Museum? Why? Feels so recent...

Cheaper by the dozen would be like the third remake. I think the original was from the 60s. Low tier Disney then and now.

If they really want to remake corny 60s family films they should remake the one with the white Volkswagon.