• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
I get what you are saying OP. My mother is a good example of how this has changed somewhat. She used to have DV cam and recorded hundreds of hours of footage of all my five siblings and myself. My grandparents also did this before she got hold of a camera herself. It's everything from baptism, birthdays and vacations to get-togethers and random funny moments. A couple of years back she copied it all to DVD's and gave to us as presents. I think my collection was about 20 hours of footage ranging from when I was 5 years old up to 17 or 18. And it's all shot in a vastly different way than what we have grown accustomed to today, making it feel more like a documentary that tells an overarching story. I feel that this has been lost with how we shoot video today, even though the technology has moved forward so much. I don't think we've ever gathered in our family to watch footage from our social media, but we've gathered a lot of times to watch the footage my mother recorded with her cam. Knowing that it's footage meant for only us that our mother put her soul into recording just makes it feel so much more geniun and worthy of your time.

Last edited:

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually thinking about this just recently. I have made a habit out of always backing up our phones whenever we get a new one, but, until recently, I had never organized them or anything. I finally went through and backed everything up, and also backed everything up to the cloud.

I think there are going to be a lot of people in a few years that realize they have lost a lot of their digital memories, because they didn't understand the importance of backups. Hopefully that becomes less of a thing as cloud storage becomes more ubiquitous, but I think there is definitely going to be a gap period.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
It's only creepy if you want to take that way. It was a tripod in a obvious location in the living room. It was sometimes taken off and my dad would also just film randomly tell us to say hi to the camera.
I would say your family's usage is way more similar to how videos are shot now compared to the typical videos in the 80's and 90's.

That stuff wasn't cheap, remember.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Google Photos automatically takes my uploaded videos and snips them together into memories under a general theme that are basically like more interesting home videos.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Now this is the kind of videos I mean haha.

That's only "special" because it's old. I guarantee in 10-20 years you'll be able to find the equivalent for 2020.

It took me a whole minute to find similar videos on Youtube. Type in "vlog" or something similar along with "high school/middle school", "teenagers", etc, sort by date, you're good to go.

2014:

2001:

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
It's not that big of a deal anymore since everyone has a camera in their pocket 24/7. It's no effort and you don't even think about it, let alone have to sit through a long VHS to watch it.