• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello everyone.

In light of this and this thread…and many more asking about which instrument to buy or users wanting to show their homemade music, I thought why not make a thread about it.

I myself have been playing guitar since 2005 but I took a break for 8 years and just started again.

Resources I've been using are apps by JustinGuitar (website) I've bought his app to learn all the notes one the fretboard, Better Ears (iOS | play store) , Fender Play (iOS|play store), Ultimate Guitar. They're all available for android or iOS.

Very motivating for me has been a class by Paul Gilbert at artistworks. It IS an expensive yearly cost of around $180. But they have sales all the time. Paul is an amazing teacher, incredible motivating, and just all around super nice. You can send him videos, he'll give feedback or advice. An example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaqL8Gk3vU
But I am heavily biased, I think he is one of the best guitarists of all time. Downside is: no app.

Currently I'm reading "Vaideology" by Steve Vai. Kind of a condensed music theory for guitarists; he wrote down what he thinks is important.
I also started using Groovebox for iOS. Annoyingly, there is no way to backup or transfer projects to other iOS devices or your PC. You can only export them as music file.

Example of what I made in around 20-30 minutes:

You got something to show us? Or want to ask questions what MIDI-controller/keyboard to buy? Maybe share resources?

Why not do it here.

edit: the cover is a photograph I took of my first guitar. A Duesenberg starplayer special. Sadly I sold it, because I am an idiot.

Last edited:

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
That Better Ears app looks really neat. I've been wanting to learn more music theory just to make music for fun, alone at home on my laptop. Even with something simple like Pico-8. I was hoping to learn guitar too but COVID didn't help that ambition and even practicing drums has been a struggle.

I'll consider this thread motivation/inspiration.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That Better Ears app looks really neat. I've been wanting to learn more music theory just to make music for fun, alone at home on my laptop. Even with something simple like Pico-8. I was hoping to learn guitar too but COVID didn't help that ambition and even practicing drums has been a struggle.

I'll consider this thread motivation/inspiration.
It takes some time getting used to. The app has so many functions and options I bought it and put it away for the first few months. But as soon as you get the hang of it it really shows a lot of learning opportunities.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Great idea. I've been making music for about 12 years but have never been able to find a vocalist. I often dream about hearing one of my songs with vocals and I hope I can one day find a vocalist. That being said, because of what I mentioned, I tend to be overly melodic with my leads which does make it hard for a vocalist to finds their place but I can always adjust my style.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great idea. I've been making music for about 12 years but have never been able to find a vocalist. I often dream about hearing one of my songs with vocals and I hope I can one day find a vocalist. That being said, because of what I mentioned, I tend to be overly melodic with my leads which does make it hard for a vocalist to finds their place but I can always adjust my style.
Maybe a vocalist will read this thread and reach out to you. I sing a lot but I am not good at it lol.

Nov 7, 2017
Love this thread. I have an electric guitar and a GT1. I'm a horrible guitar player but a decent to good keyboard / synth player - keen to see what people offer here. Slowly becoming more comfortable with sharing my tunes.

Silver80

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks for starting this thread! I decided to get into home music production and started in November with this setup:

Studio One 5 + Audio Interface

Casio Casiotone

And started making some synthy stuff.

As far as learning basic music theory this is a great start

Started my music project as Digital Devil and this is the type of stuff I've been able to make since November starting from almost nothing.

If you have been thinking about starting this as a hobby, DO IT!

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
i've had a lot of fun playing around with KORG DSN-12 on the 3DS
i can recommend it, if you're looking for an affordable and quite versatile synthesizer to carry in your pockets and/or for some "i'm already lying in bed, but want to try something out" action

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, all. I've always been into the idea of getting a synth or groovebox and think I want to jump in. No real experience, but do love sitting there tinkering. Always wanted the OP-1, but that seems way too overwhelming. The new Circuit Tracks seems really fun, but is that overkill for someone with zero experience or pretty user friendly? I'm not looking to make anything professional, obviously. Just some fun sounding songs to dip my toes.

edit: or would I be better off, if i'm looking at a Circuit, to pick up a used OG while people are upgrading?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for starting this thread! I decided to get into home music production and started in November with this setup:

Studio One 5 + Audio Interface

Casio Casiotone

And started making some synthy stuff.

As far as learning basic music theory this is a great start

Started my music project as Digital Devil and this is the type of stuff I've been able to make since November starting from almost nothing.

If you have been thinking about starting this as a hobby, DO IT!

Thank you for the video and sharing!
I'll get a native instruments midi keyboard this weekend, I am looking forward to it.

what kind of DAW are you all using? Until the end of March I could still buy ableton live 11 with the edu discount..

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I learned how to write/record music over quarantine and just put out my second song ever with me on all instruments/vocals! It's a little lo-fi punk track and I'm stoked on how it turned out!

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just put out a new punk song - my third one ever after learning how to write/record music over quarantine. It's me on all vocals and instruments - would really love to hear what you all think!

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, stoked to see this thread here...never knew it existed! I did a thing that's actually like my 8th piece of output, and released it forth unto the world today. Check it out if you're bored! If spotify isn't your bag, I have a bandcamp at ifigured.net

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I've been chipping away at music for a few years, doing my best to learn the craft. I'm a death metal vocalist, though it wasn't until this last year that I started taking proper lessons and actually learning learning the craft. I've got a solid mid-to-low range now. Working on them high, scratchy noises next :)

Don't really have anything worth sharing since the production of it all is pretty bad, or the vocal technique is really sloppy. Should have a new EP done before the year is out though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been chipping away at music for a few years, doing my best to learn the craft. I'm a death metal vocalist, though it wasn't until this last year that I started taking proper lessons and actually learning learning the craft. I've got a solid mid-to-low range now. Working on them high, scratchy noises next :)

Don't really have anything worth sharing since the production of it all is pretty bad, or the vocal technique is really sloppy. Should have a new EP done before the year is out though.
hey, don't feel that way please :)! demo-tapes or demo-songs are well worth a listen too. just sayin'

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Been writing and producing music for around 15 years, but i'm absolutely garbage at self-promotion. Played in several bands in high school / college, and have a pet project of experimental pop called Good Fight.

I've written indie rock

beats / edm (self-produced)

i produced my own pop album on an iPhone 4S

and i'm currently working on a record that sounds somewhere between the weeknd and glenn miller

if anybody wants to work on something together, hit me up