darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
My issue with firefly isn't her pure numbers it's how limited her options are. You can give her the best relics this game has to offer and she still wont deal great damage without HTB. They're tied to the hip which isn't ideal. Honestly any team that isn't FF, HTB, Gallagher and Ruan Mei is going to feel lackluster. And that team has to go against enemies they can break otherwise they're useless. Idk. I hope they give FF's kit some way to do damage without super break.

lore wise it fits and it is canon

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I don't even think it's doomposting saying FF only has like 1 viable team right now. She'll perform excellent within that team as shown already. Hopefully they'll make her more versatile with kit changes during beta. Either way it's sadly too late to give her more interesting animations.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
King of Doomposting SushiReese, how is Firefly looking in the beta and what is CN's opinion, if you don't mind sharing.
Personally I would say she is pretty broken even on E0S1, like if you want to grab a break carry, she is miles better than Boothill.

CN fandom wanted more buff to her because she got CCed in ult form she could completely lost to timer and skipped her turn. They called her new Jingyuan.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I say this a lot, but I don't think it's productive to worry about a character's power level this far out. That can change a lot even if you're confident you have a great handle on their current kit.

The team comp issue seems more fundamental. We have two supports who do a lot more for any sort of Break team than anyone else and who synergize great with each other. Ruan Mei improves weakness break efficiency and keeps things broken longer, and HTB gives you bonus damage based on how much time enemies spend broken and also multiplied by your weakness break efficiency. HTB is going to double or triple your instantaneous (non-dot) Break-type damage, and anyone who relies on HTB is going to find Ruan Mei almost necessary. There are ways they could get around this but they'd mostly render HTB useless, and Ruan Mei probably still ends up the best 5* for the team by a mile.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
HMC really is the first iteration/test of Super Break and tbh I think they're gonna be followed fairly quickly by another SB support/enabler.

That said I wouldn't disagree if they gave FF some innate Super Break as well.

Vylash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk I'm getting super annoyed, this writing is so obnoxious, I know they're capable of better, idk why the story has been on such a steep decline since belobog

Oct 26, 2017
I'm planning still on getting Firefly but I would be lying if I said I was fine with just the skill spam.

Imo she should have functioned like Jingliu where once conditions are met she transforms so that way she could still have an actual attack ult instead of just the enhanced skill that you're spamming 98% of the time it looks like.

Other DPS are usually using a skill/ultimate/and for some characters a followup attack so it feels like there's some variety in what they're doing.

So going from that to just Enhanced Skill x infinity is kind of lame tbh.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning still on getting Firefly but I would be lying if I said I was fine with just the skill spam.

Imo she should have functioned like Jingliu where once conditions are met she transforms so that way she could still have an actual attack ult instead of just the enhanced skill that you're spamming 98% of the time it looks like.

Other DPS are usually using a skill/ultimate/and for some characters a followup attack so it feels like there's some variety in what they're doing.

So going from that to just Enhanced Skill x infinity is kind of lame tbh.

I'm hoping this will be changed, just like that black background on her ultimate

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Jade looks pretty broken for pure fiction as expected, maybe better than herta. Not sure what her best moc team would really be.

FF looks good but i honestly don't see what big advantage she is supposed to have over Boothill, they both have the same kit more or less just one is a hunt and the other is destruction. I think people are underestimating boothill to over egg how good ff is gonna be. And again if she fights someone like Sam itself ironically, shes kinda doing nothing until he drops his toughness guard.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Real talk I'm getting super annoyed, this writing is so obnoxious, I know they're capable of better, idk why the story has been on such a steep decline since belobog
Honestly I think people complained the patches were too short, so they doubled down with pointless unskippable ranting dialogue and wait until you get to the black screen + text bits. Truly horrendous, and the story still didn't make any sense.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The first part of Penacony didn't have any of those issues so that's weird to see. It was pretty meaty but I felt like they still kept it moving well

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I was just really curious what happened this time. I usually take a week+.

If you skip through the story and don't comb through the areas, 6-8 sounds about right.
If take your time, it's closer to about 10-12.

I'm really intrigued to see how I feel about the story come the end. I think it's fair to say that most people seem to really like it, but for those who don't, they really don't.

I've enjoyed what I've played so far but I'm still really early. But I'm just taking my time with it and exploring.

Love the vibe of Dreamflux Reef - it's cool to see a more grounded dream. I had a little walk around and really liked the little pockets of activity you can find.

And - really early spoilers - it was cool when Mikhail's final resting place emerged. Just a classic little JRPG moment.

It really seems like Firefly was built around Super Break damage, which is something we didn't know at that time.

So I feel like Bronya is probably the best alternative if you don't have Ruan Mei, just to help her get her Ult up faster after the first cycle, and to get an extra attack in there while she's Ult'ing.

But a lot of the speculation on Bronya being good for her was based on the assumption that she could regain energy during her Ult, since nothing in her kit says she can't gain energy during her Ult. And getting that extra energy in her Ult meant she could quickly get it back afterwards.

But Bronya is definitely a far cry from Ruan Mei who pretty much buffs every part of Firefly's kit. The only time I can possibly see Bronya being better is against those fucking TVs that deplete your energy, since even a small energy loss means waiting a whole additional turn to get her Ult up. And I wouldn't be surprised if we see more enemies that attack energy in the future.

Good to know. I think the main issue people seem to have is that she's reliant on HTB, but I think that's a very specific niche that will get filled out over time. I personally think it's great that she gets such a strong partner for free, but it's the reliance on them that people aren't keen on. By the same token, she likes Gallagher, who they gave away for free last patch and are going to give away again soon, aren't they?

I agree with Gotchaye too - it's too early to sound the alarm just yet. And it's not like she doesn't do damage.

I understand why people are a little torn, but we are three days in. I'm sure she'll change.

I saw this showcase pop up in the last few hours - no new enemies or spoilers - and I think it's a healthy starting point… even if the numbers aren't totally realistic.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
Hey, so what's this about a Hanu shooting challenge worth 200 jade?

I finished the event and haven't seen anything like that.

Jade looks pretty broken for pure fiction as expected, maybe better than herta. Not sure what her best moc team would really be.

I think Jade is looking really weak, personally.

Her damage multipliers are really low, the additional damage from her buff is minuscule, and she has to be paired with someone like Herta or Argenti to make the most of her kit. And Argenti was at least functional in non-PF content, while Jade seems to be completely useless outside of PF.

I really feel like they miscalculated here, too. I think people want 5☆ Qingque, not Herta 2. And she doesn't work with any of the existing FUA characters, which is frankly just weird.

I also wouldn't be surprised if she pairs really well with Screwllum, but I think people are going to continue to be wary of Erudition characters after Jade if they don't buff her.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022
Hey, so what's this about a Hanu shooting challenge worth 200 jade?

I finished the event and haven't seen anything like that.
You have to find the secret level in the Hanu stage of the talent show level. Once you beat the 2.2 main story, you get a quest to go an do all of the routes you didn't go through the first time. In each of the six stages, you can find a soda man who gives you hints to a secret level for each of the six areas. If you go to the Hanu stage's secret level, there is a super secret basement that let's you play a new minigame.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
You have to find the secret level in the Hanu stage of the talent show level. Once you beat the 2.2 main story, you get a quest to go an do all of the routes you didn't go through the first time. In each of the six stages, you can find a soda man who gives you hints to a secret level for each of the six areas. If you go to the Hanu stage's secret level, there is a super secret basement that let's you play a new minigame.

Awesome, thanks.

Because that new mini game first shows up in the event I figured it was part of that.

I just finished the event and am now going back to clean up the map, so I'll get to it before too long.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
If whatever buffs FF receives in the future completely make the HTB redundant, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Having an actual excuse to use the TB (With a cool new path!) was a highlight of FF's kit to me.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Similar to Kafka, only issue I have with Firefly in this verzion is that she mandates fixed teammates:RM and HMC and maybe e6 Gallagher.

HMC is free but still limit all her damage out. Like without HMC super break mechanics she loses like 30%of overall damage.

She basically become like Kafka in 1.2, has to wait for specific future limited super break support to fully shine and you could not solve this issue even you E6S5 her. Her e4 is a joke for a limited carry.
If I am Mihoyo, I would put super-break mechanic on her e2 or e4, so FTP players could still pair with HMC and whale enjoyer could pair her with their e6 Sparkle or E2 Bronya

Last edited:

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
If I understand their kits correctly, Boothill isn't glued to Harmony TB because he can re-trigger break damage on a broken enemy on his own, but Firefly needs HTB's super break to deal break damage past breaking? Does she have something in her kit to make up for this, or is this a trade off for Booty being ST? My guess is Mihoyo wants to sell a best buddy support for FF in a future patch.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
So HMC is getting rave reviews, but what are their actual use cases currently? The only team Prydwen lists is with Xueyi as the DPS and Ruan Mei as the other support. I don't have Ruan Mei and I won't be pulling for Boothill or Firefly, so I'm guessing HMC won't end up being very useful for me.

Related: I take community impressions with a truckload of salt after being fooled into thinking Bronya was a god tier support. I was very excited when I first pulled her, only to realize she's actually clunky af to use unless you have E1S1 and/or a team full of super SP economy units like Jingliu, Blade, Pela, Luocha. Most overrated character in the game by far. /rant

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
So HMC is getting rave reviews, but what are their actual use cases currently? The only team Prydwen lists is with Xueyi as the DPS and Ruan Mei as the other support. I don't have Ruan Mei and I won't be pulling for Boothill or Firefly, so I'm guessing HMC won't end up being very useful for me.
You build high BE and spd on Topaz and Dr. Ratio and repeatedly super break enemies with all the FUA.

Neghis

Dec 29, 2022
The thing I'm mostly wondering about is if they are really not going to do anything about existing bosses who lock their toughness bar.

Because that seems like it just completely kneecaps a break team with little way around it. No other teams really have this kind of weakness either.
Really wonder what their thoughts are about this.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017

Related: I take community impressions with a truckload of salt after being fooled into thinking Bronya was a god tier support. I was very excited when I first pulled her, only to realize she's actually clunky af to use unless you have E1S1 and/or a team full of super SP economy units like Jingliu, Blade, Pela, Luocha. Most overrated character in the game by far. /rant
Bronya's skill gives 100% action advance (Sparkle only has 50), DMG increase and cleanse. She is god tier, even if she's SP hungry.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
I guess I don't really understand how freeing up Sparkle/Bronya to be "best" in every Firefly team is any less "restrictive" than HMC being "best" in every Firefly team.

We would just probably trade one "best in slot" for another so what's wrong with it being a new free one?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The thing I'm mostly wondering about is if they are really not going to do anything about existing bosses who lock their toughness bar.

Because that seems like it just completely kneecaps a break team with little way around it. No other teams really have this kind of weakness either.

In the last virtual scentventure event wasn't there a buff that allowed you to outright ignore weakness protection? I'll bet that there will be BE supports which lets the team do that.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind HMC being basically required for FF since they're a free unit. However it'll suck for new players who have not played enough to unlock HMC and find their shiny new pull basically kneecapped until they do.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I think to satisfy everyone they just need to allow Firefly to access more of her damage independently - without nerfing her interaction with HTB into the ground.

She shouldn't be able to access the same damage without them, because that's the whole point of having a support.

Though to be honest, I really don't care. You're essentially being given a free E6, best in slot support, who also happens to be the main character of the game… who also has an in-game connection to Firefly. It fits together nicely for me.

My Kafka made do with Sampo before Black Swan, and Firefly will do just fine too.

Let's be honest, there's going to be a pumped up super break support who will take her to the next level anyway. Just like Acheron is waiting for her five star supports too.

Firefly being niche is fine. But I do say that as a Kafka and Topaz enjoyer, so maybe I'm built different.
I feel too old to use that turn of phrase.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017

the solution with boothill at least seems to be just break them before they can do anything. With RM and his enhanced toughness damage, he seems to be able to break any toughness bar with 2-3 attacks by himself. FF on the other hand, even with RM, seems to need a bit of help from her teammates as her toughness damage isnt as high.

Can you imagane if they introduced an enemy that couldnt be debuffed lol, how that would fuck over so many teams. Dont think they would ever do that tbf.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would say she is pretty broken even on E0S1, like if you want to grab a break carry, she is miles better than Boothill.

CN fandom wanted more buff to her because she got CCed in ult form she could completely lost to timer and skipped her turn. They called her new Jingyuan.
Thanks! 🙏

I say this a lot, but I don't think it's productive to worry about a character's power level this far out. That can change a lot even if you're confident you have a great handle on their current kit.

The team comp issue seems more fundamental. We have two supports who do a lot more for any sort of Break team than anyone else and who synergize great with each other. Ruan Mei improves weakness break efficiency and keeps things broken longer, and HTB gives you bonus damage based on how much time enemies spend broken and also multiplied by your weakness break efficiency. HTB is going to double or triple your instantaneous (non-dot) Break-type damage, and anyone who relies on HTB is going to find Ruan Mei almost necessary. There are ways they could get around this but they'd mostly render HTB useless, and Ruan Mei probably still ends up the best 5* for the team by a mile.
I was just curious about all the team setup stuff and CN's opinion about it. I know her kit will go through some buffs and/or nerfs, but she and Boothill are basically part of a new archetype that needs the enemy to be broken to do any real damage. Means that their damage is very backloaded and possibly useless against enemies that have phases where they can't be broken. If the leaks subreddit is any indication, some people are calling her mid already, which I can't tell is legit or trolling.

So between this new type of DPS and the hype surrounding Firefly, I'm more curious about her beta performance and the buffs/nerfs she'll get more than the average beta.

HaywireTomato

Dec 10, 2017
I was just curious about all the team setup stuff and CN's opinion about it. I know her kit will go through some buffs and/or nerfs, but she and Boothill are basically part of a new archetype that needs the enemy to be broken to do any real damage. Means that their damage is very backloaded and possibly useless against enemies that have phases where they can't be broken. If the leaks subreddit is any indication, some people are calling her mid already, which I can't tell is legit or trolling.

So between this new type of DPS and the hype surrounding Firefly, I'm more curious about her beta performance and the buffs/nerfs she'll get more than the average beta.
As of right now, crit firefly is actually garbage, even with crazy good relics, her damage is bad, and we are talking about 300+ CD and almost 300 BE, so your enhanced skill will hit 3 targets for almost 1100% atk. For an attack with such scaling you might be expecting idk, 1 million damage? It's not even half that amount.

OMG NEW LEAKED SAM ANIMATIONS!

For her boss form lmao what.
Are you talking about
The lock on move where he charges forward and deals massive damage to one unit? That is cool as hell, playable Firefly animations already powercrept LMAO

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
the solution with boothill at least seems to be just break them before they can do anything. With RM and his enhanced toughness damage, he seems to be able to break any toughness bar with 2-3 attacks by himself. FF on the other hand, even with RM, seems to need a bit of help from her teammates as her toughness damage isnt as high.
Thinking about it, I don't see a problem with this. Hunt characters need to be busted for single targets, otherwise the path is pointless. FF needing help to break through bars is fine, there needs to be some balancing because she hits multiple targets.

Azuos

Sep 29, 2021
How good is Boothil without Ruan Mei? I want to pull, but I don't have her.

Is bronya+hmc a close enough alternative?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

skibidi-bop-bop.gif

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Idk what people expect really, Firefly is the inevitable consequence of still being early in the lifecycle of a team building game like this which is still carving out lots of distinct gameplay niches. You can't just slot whoever you want together, there will be units who only work with specific synergies and while that sucks if you like one character and not the other, they can't do much about it without neutering the mechanics and synergies involved.

Break is only now starting to get attention as a viable build path, they need time to create varied team options.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
And to build on the point above, you use popular characters as the trojan horse to draw people to these new playstyles.

It would have been so easy to just make Kafka a typical damage dealer - and she can be played that way - but they took a long-term view.

Firefly will only get stronger in this niche. But when you come in as the marquee unit on the ground floor, your team options are going to be more limited.

Vylash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love how they didn't even bother voicing any of
Argenti's
lines, what a fucking geek ☠️

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017