Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
My interpretation was that it all happened the way we experienced it. Penacony is less of a discrete series of levels between reality and the dreamscape and just more a gradient since the memoria was just leaking out into space.
Question for those that played HI3rd. I haven't finished 2.2 yet (stuck on the final boss) but I assume this question can be answered safely with the story that's been revealed so far. Also I played up to chapter 32 of HI3.

Are we supposed to assume that Acheron/Raiden Mei is the same Mei from HI3rd, that ended up on a different branch of the imaginary tree? The conversation between her and Welt suggests both of them are the same characters as HI3
Yes, the implication is that Acheron's home world was a version of Earth as seen in Honkai 3. It was not a bubble universe, because there were no indications that it was unstable in itself, leaving another branch of the imaginary tree as the only remaining possibility.

No she's not the same Raiden Mei. She is another version of Mei on a different branch of the imaginary tree, who's world underwent similar events as the one in HI3rd. Just in Acheron's. it's implied Kiana died and then IX showed up and ate everything.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I just assume people don't want anything beyond a generic by the numbers shonen plot if they think belabog is still the best

I appreciate them trying something more ambitious but that also gives them more opportunities to disappoint or leave threads hanging which stands out in a bad way.

Belobog wasn't the most amazing thing ever but it was enjoyable for what it was and did a good job of focusing on a few core characters from beginning to end. Penacony tried to juggle a bunch of different factions all at once and some inevitably ended up feeling pointless. Maybe this'll change in the story wrap up, but Sparkle, Boothill, and Argenti all felt pretty useless and could have been left out with very little changed. Meanwhile the Aventurine story is probably the best bit of writing in the entire game...but then was subsequently ignored until the very end where it was revealed it barely mattered anyway.

Also splitting the story focus so broadly made for a loooot more cutscenes and dialogue than in previous arcs, which is fine in theory, but gets tiring when it's back to back to back to back and you're sitting there watching cutscenes for 2 hours straight with no gameplay beyond "walk 5 steps and talk to the NPC." The best parts of the game imo are when you're exploring a new zone and get fed bits of story as you progress through the area, like in the Amusement Park with Aventurine, and the Grand Theater at the end, and I don't know if those were actually any different in number than the previous arcs, but they felt fewer and farther between because of how glacial the pacing with the cutscenes was.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Jiaoqiu would absolutely have to be able to solo sustain if the idea is that he's also a Firefly support. Gallagher is the only obvious candidate for replacement in that team. Either that or enable Super Break. HTB's Super Break looks irreplaceable even against things without imaginary weakness and especially since once the thing is broken the weakness doesn't matter, and Ruan Mei doesn't do much personal toughness damage anyway.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Rumors are out for the next banners.

Hope you guys like Space China because it looks like we will be there a while.

Screwllum is Imaginary Erudition finallt filling out the last Imaginary spot.

Jioqiu is Fire nihility amd seems heavily tied into the Firefly mono fire build. Sounds like Pela on steroids.

Fiaoxiu and Yunli are the rumored 2.5 banners. One sounds like a physical Clara like preservation probably for Boothill builds.

The other launches missiles that debuff and enters a special state(?). No clue who that might be for.
Everything I've read about Jioqiu sounds great, I think he'll be good with Blade which makes me happy.

They need to fix two things if we're going back to Space China. One being the boring samey environments and the other being female character design diversity. I hate how they all ended up having basically the same dress during the Luofu arc.

Karew

Jul 5, 2022
The unfortunate thing with Luofo is that it IMO does have a really good tragic story about Dan Feng and the Cloud Quintet but it was told in a really fucked up, chopped and screwed way.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Yeah, the High-Cloud Quintet stuff is by far the most engaging part of that arc. And it's also completely missable.

It's actually hilarious how the Jingliu quest felt like a better epilogue than the actual one we got. It just felt embarrasing how much they tried to retroactively make us care about Tingyun.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The unfortunate thing with Luofo is that it IMO does have a really good tragic story about Dan Feng and the Cloud Quintet but it was told in a really fucked up, chopped and screwed way.

I had to watch some YouTube videos and read some wiki stuff because I had no idea what Dan Feng did, who Blade is and why he hates them all so much.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
MoC was hard
image-6.png
I liked using the 1.0 DPS units in Floor 11 though. Even with the help of new harmony units they barely made it.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Tingyun's definitely a case of overestimating how effective a cute design is in a game filled with them, but I really wanna know what's in that letter she left.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As expected and usual, no changes to anything in v2. Just the usual wording changes

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Surely there's no way we're gonna be back at the Xianzhou for the entirety of 2.x after this. That would be longer than we spent in Penacony. I expect 2-3 patches there and move on to smaller continuances in the other zones like in 1.x

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You would be surprised at how some characters who are meta were doomposted in betas and then after v3/v4 were not

If after v3 firefly and jade don't get changes, then its time to doompost for sure
Yep. It's why I'm not really concerned about Firefly...yet. If we don't see any changes in V3 though...

Well, Caps Lock will be on.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
2UDgTQs.jpeg
You know Luofu's story/narrative is something else when a shitpost make you better understand/ make more sense of high cloud quintets' storyline than 3 patch and nearly 6 hours of gameplay combined.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
image-2024-05-13-232214600.png

Mono Quantum for the Gambling Gremlin. Managed a 3-cycle with good RNG.

Jingliu is honestly absurd. Even at E0 with the SU cone, she does so much damage it doesn't even matter if her side doesn't have ice weakness.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aparrently there is an event found in the beta update that

Gives Harmony Trailblazer early after completing belobog and if you already have it unlocked it gives an eidolon

people are concerned on reddit that it not only spoils the moment in penacony but is a sign they have no plan to make break, and thus moreso FF, less reliant on HMC as it wouls give newer players access to her best support on launch

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Surely there's no way we're gonna be back at the Xianzhou for the entirety of 2.x after this. That would be longer than we spent in Penacony. I expect 2-3 patches there and move on to smaller continuances in the other zones like in 1.x
Version 1.x lasted from 1.0 to 1.6.
Penacony is going to be 2.0 - 2.3 (4 patches). If Xianzhou Yaoqing is 2.4 to 2.6 (3 patches), and we get 3.0 after, then Penacony is longer by 1 patch.

HaywireTomato

Dec 10, 2017

Gives Harmony Trailblazer early after completing belobog and if you already have it unlocked it gives an eidolon

people are concerned on reddit that it not only spoils the moment in penacony but is a sign they have no plan to make break, and thus moreso FF, less reliant on HMC as it wouls give newer players access to her best support on launch
Wtf? I would not be okay with this, it should remain locked to story progression. They might as well just give everyone her best team on launch for free at this rate.

Everyday my desire for E2S1 Firefly is going down, maybe by the time she launches I'm gonna skip her for another character lmao.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah this is a good thing

There is no worse feeling than rolling for a new character in a gacha as a new player then not being able to use them because the materials you need to level/skill them are locked behind like 40 hours of story. Genshin has this problem with basically all the Inazuma based characters - theres no early way to get those mats at all. Its even worse in other games like FGO where you are looking at an ungodly amount of time for some characters with their story based materials

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll go back to Quantum Cavern for Xueyi. I guess she will have to share the Herta Store LC with Jingliu.

I guess this is also how we get E6

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020

There is no worse feeling than rolling for a new character in a gacha as a new player then not being able to use them because the materials you need to level/skill them are locked behind like 40 hours of story. Genshin has this problem with basically all the Inazuma based characters - theres no early way to get those mats at all. Its even worse in other games like FGO where you are looking at an ungodly amount of time for some characters with their story based materials
Except...
Both Firefly and HMC's major traces are locked behind story bosses, with Firefly's being locked behind something like 40 hours of story and HMC's around 20+ hours.
So I am not sure giving out that character really accomplishes anything other than spoiling the story moment.

You would be surprised at how some characters who are meta were doomposted in betas and then after v3/v4 were not

If after v3 firefly and jade don't get changes, then its time to doompost for sure
As far as I remember, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, and Ruan Mei were the only ones who got major changes during beta that buffed them significantly. And theorycrafting around Kafka and Black Swan were off base about how strong they were, but they did not get major revisions.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Except...
Both Firefly and HMC's major traces are locked behind story bosses, with Firefly's being locked behind something like 40 hours of story and HMC's around 20+ hours.
So I am not sure giving out that character really accomplishes anything other than spoiling the story moment.
if were talking new players, they wont really need those mats until theyve done those 20-40 hours of gameplay tbh.

I think the dev team doesnt really care about spoilers once a month has passed between patches?

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Genshin eventually added a story boss early access like Star Rail has for calyxes. I assume they'll do something like that here at some point. You just don't want someone to get excited about a character, start the game, and then find out they're going to be useless until after 40 hours of story.

Likewise if Super Break is going to be essential for break teams. Even if it shows up on limited characters down the line you want a guaranteed source of it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Back to the Xianzhou after Penacony????

Say isn't so:(

I'd rather go back to Herta Space Station for more Genius Society shenanigans or see what Belobog is up to.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Back to the Xianzhou after Penacony????

Say isn't so:(

I'd rather go back to Herta Space Station for more Genius Society shenanigans or see what Belobog is up to.
It's likely to be a new ship in the fleet instead of the Luofu again, but tbh I'm not expecting anything all that different. Penacony's zones ended up being really samey considering it's a dream world where anything is possible.

I'd also rather go literally anywhere else, especially since they actually teased a reason to revisit Belobog with the Sparkle companion quest.

hypersheep325

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Some further thoughts on 2.2:
There's one NPC in Dreamflux Reef called Graysen who says "Even if one turns into a memetic entity with the power of the Dreamscape, those who aren't Memokeepers will inevitably wane in how the Remembrance forgets, gradually dissolve in the corrosion of the Enigmata, and quietly depart from existence just like the Watchmaker did". This essentially confirms that the Watchmaker is a memetic entity. Moreover, based on the conversation with Pisce from the event, it seems that the Watchmaker was very active until very recently, as he was drafting scripts for Clockie Studios, which means that the Watchmaker's condition probably began to rapidly deterioriate in only the last few years.

The question remains, then, if the Watchmaker is a memetic entity, how is it that he deteriorated so much faster than his fellow memetic entities? Both Micah and Nelson (another NPC in Dreamflux Reef) are from the same era as Mikhail, yet both of them are doing fine. And there is still no apparent reason to seal his child memetic self into a dream bubble.

After thinking it over, I realized there's one factor I was overlooking this entire time: the Stellaron. Mikhail has been exposed to the Stellaron probably the longest of all his generation outside of Gopher Wood, and we know that the Stellaron has the ability to tempt and influence others into tapping into its power. Just like Cocolia, and perhaps Gopher Wood, the Stellaron may have been whispering into Mikhail's ears, tempting him to use its power to turn the tables on the Family and take back Penacony. And for hundreds of years, Mikhail resisted the call, until finally, he realized that he might be reaching his limit. Thus, he enters "slumber" so that he can never act on the corruption. And it is the risk of Stellaron corruption that also forces Mikhail to lock Misha up in the dream bubble and give him amnesia. If Misha were to have Mikhail's memories, then the Stellaron's corruption would also likely extend to him, defeating the purpose of leaving Misha behind to serve as a guide to future Nameless.

Finally, there's one strange thing that Mikhail mentions in the cutscene that describes his life: he tells Clockie that he "had a long dream about the day we met". But we earlier established that Mikhail is a memetic entity, an entity existing within the Dreamscape, so how does he dream? Do his dreams exist on a deeper layer than the Primal Dreamscape? Or maybe this was a dream created by the Stellaron, and the long time Mikhail spent in the dream a warning to him that he was about to fall to its corruption.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
It's likely to be a new ship in the fleet instead of the Luofu again, but tbh I'm not expecting anything all that different. Penacony's zones ended up being really samey considering it's a dream world where anything is possible.

I'd also rather go literally anywhere else, especially since they actually teased a reason to revisit Belobog with the Sparkle companion quest.
Sushang describes Xianzhou Yaoqing as looking like a generic IPC space world, while Luofu has a very traditional aesthetic. I expect Yaoqing to look more like the city in Sparkle's Myriad Celestial than Luofu.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
So the Xianzhou Yaoqing has the potential to be pretty different than the Luofu. And I certainly hope that's the case.

It's said to have a much closer relationship to the IPC, and young people wear IPC clothing, and sleek IPC architecture is also prominent.

So if the Luofu was more "traditional," the Yaoqing sounds to be more "modern."

Their plaguemark is the moon, and it sounds like it may cause Foxians to go wild, like werewolves.

Yeah, I agree.

I think it's great they gave the Trailblazer a place in the meta, and that also means they need to make it accessible to new players.

Genshin gets away with this because the Traveler is always unimaginably awful.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty doubtful we'll see a new Xianzhou ship so soon. They'll probably bring the new characters to the Luofu instead.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Just finished, that was great! Acheron still the goat.

So are... Black Swan and Boothill not joining the crew?

Also Luofu is probably going to be Liyue 2.0 where you constantly go back to that zone for all sorts of random stuff.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty doubtful we'll see a new Xianzhou ship so soon. They'll probably bring the new characters to the Luofu instead.

i could see it. I think its just gonna be a 1.5 style expansion, 2-3 new areas max that they can maybe add to over time. Itll not treated as a whole new location, just an extension of the normal lufou map.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019

The story also points to us going to the Yaoqing, since that's where Luocha's trial is slated to happen.

I'm also pretty sure everyone would riot if we got sent back to the Luofu for another three patches. haha.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that they have a six year plan, and there are six ships.

Also Luofu is probably going to be Liyue 2.0 where you constantly go back to that zone for all sorts of random stuff.

I think the Xianzhou are Liyue 2.0, with their story continuing across their entire fleet.

Three patches of a new Xianzhou ship are probably less resource intensive than a single new section of a Genshin map.

I guess we'll see who the characters are for the 2.4 drip marketing, but I'm hopeful that they'll start teasing what's next in the 2.3 special program.

Not to mention that the 2.4 beta should be hitting around the time 2.3 lands.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
I dont watch too many character videos since I like to be surprised but is Jade going to be FUA right?

Yes, but also kinda no?

She tags a character with a buff, which boosts their SPD and drains 5% HP each time they attack.

Every character hit by them generates one stack for Jade, and she does an AoE FUA when she hits 8 stacks.

So you're going to want to pair her with another AoE character, like Herta, Argenti, Clara, etc.

Somewhat surprisingly, she doesn't work particularly well with the other IPC characters because they just don't attack frequently enough to generate stacks.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
The story also points to us going to the Yaoqing, since that's where Luocha's trial is slated to happen.

I'm also pretty sure everyone would riot if we got sent back to the Luofu for another three patches. haha.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that they have a six year plan, and there are six ships.

I hope I'm wrong but the amount of new assets needed for Yaoqing which is said to be very different from the Luofu makes it a bit hard for me to see. Maybe if it's one of the other ships where there's more common architecture.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
I hope I'm wrong but the amount of new assets needed for Yaoqing which is said to be very different from the Luofu makes it a bit hard for me to see. Maybe if it's one of the other ships where there's more common architecture.

The generational divide seems to be one of the themes in the story, not to mention real-world China. So I could see them splitting them between "traditional" and "modern" to balance things out.

For example, the Wiki mentions the Red Fox Theatre, which is a more traditional place.